2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, has anyone from the 29-Oct interview section heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

In other news, has anyone from the 29-Oct interview section heard anything yet?

I actually emailed Dimple this past Tuesday regarding some residency match questions and asked her when Oct 29 people can expect to hear back and her exact words were "maybe sometime next week". So I'm hoping for sometime next week before Thanksgiving.

"maybe sometime next week".

Keep in mind that "maybe sometime next week" actually means any time between next week and March. Most people who are accepted do not hear until March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that "maybe sometime next week" actually means any time between next week and March. Most people who are accepted do not hear until March.

Yes, for those who are already in school, that's what it means. However, to us who haven't been accepted yet, it means that the ADCOM actually meant to accept you on the spot after your interview, but they lost your phone number... so they really want you to call them every 15 minutes for your application status.

Honestly, I'm usually a pretty patient person. It's just difficult to get through so much radio silence in respect to a potentially life changing event (especially from your top school). I'm hoping the 29-Oct interview section gets some love from the ADCOM. There were a lot of pretty great people in my interview group.

I actually emailed Dimple this past Tuesday regarding some residency match questions and asked her when Oct 29 people can expect to hear back and her exact words were "maybe sometime next week". So I'm hoping for sometime next week before Thanksgiving.

They make decisions every 3 - 4 weeks and said the next review would be a couple weeks from this weekend. So that brings the next batch of acceptances during the first week of December.

I have no info about a particular interview date, but that's the general timeline for admissions.

Honestly, I'm usually a pretty patient person. It's just difficult to get through so much radio silence in respect to a potentially life changing event (especially from your top school). I'm hoping the 29-Oct interview section gets some love from the ADCOM. There were a lot of pretty great people in my interview group.

I genuinely hope you hear something good soon. But, there are great people in every interview group through February at least. I interviewed last year, and I didn't hear a rejection until early April. Most people by far who heard something earlier than April heard rejections. I'm not trying to be a downer, but I know how hard it is to wait when you expect an answer any moment. That said, I'm sure we'll both get accepted before Christmas ;-)

As an out of state-er complete in late August, should I take the silence as a rejection? Thoughts/votes?

As an out of state-er complete in late August, should I take the silence as a rejection? Thoughts/votes?

Definitely not. If you haven't received an invitation to interview by the end of January, you are probably out.

For those who have interviewed but haven't heard anything yet, take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of admits don't hear until March.

Based on experience last year, this is how acceptances usually come out:
5% sent out in October
5% sent out in November
5% sent out in December
5% sent out in January
5% sent out in February
75% sent out in March

Hang in there guys.

Last edited:
Awww, thanks guys! ;-) After two long application cycles, I know all too well how hard it can be to be stuck in limbo while you await your fate.

II today for 12/15! Sososososo thrilled about this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today for 1/4! So excited to finally be getting some love from my state school :)

I am an IS reapplicant this year and it seems to be taking longer this go around. I submitted earlier this year than last (complete 9/14/12) and have not heard a thing. Last year got an II on Nov 17th and interviewed 12/19. Patience, however virtuous, starts to wane at the 9 week mark. 3.8, 32Q. Did not retake the MCAT for financial reasons and risk:benefit ratio. Since misery loves company - anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
I am an IS reapplicant this year and it seems to be taking longer this go around. I submitted earlier this year than last (complete 9/14/12) and have not heard a thing. Last year got an II on Nov 17th and interviewed 12/19. Patience, however virtuous, starts to wane at the 9 week mark. 3.8, 32Q. Did not retake the MCAT for financial reasons and risk:benefit ratio. Since misery loves company - anyone else in the same boat?

Keep your head up! I know of a lot of people that went without an II until December and got acceptances.

I'm not in the same boat as you, but here's something worth looking at. AAMC stats show that you have an ~85% chance of acceptance into a school with your numbers. If you took the MCAT again, and scored a 35, you'd only increase your chances of acceptance by ~5% (I have the same score as you, and retaking the MCAT is not in my immediate plans).

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Been complete since early September. No word. Does Colorado do silent rejections?

I give thanks that my rejection last year, among other things, has helped me to be better at being proud of who I am now rather than who I think I'll become in the future :)

I sent my secondary on August 2, and haven't heard anything. I'm OOS with a 3.71 and 35. Should I be worried?

Sent from my HTC Ruby using SDN Mobile

I sent my secondary on August 2, and haven't heard anything. I'm OOS with a 3.71 and 35. Should I be worried?

Sent from my HTC Ruby using SDN Mobile

OOS interview invites are few and far between compared to the number of OOS applicants. It's possible you'll still get an interview, though, so don't give up hope. The CU adcom re-reviews applications all cycle.

My invite/interview dates last year were the exact same as yours, and my stats were quite similar as well. I ended up getting accepted off the waitlist in mid-June. Your stats definitely aren't the problem! CU is very kind to in-state reapplicants who spend some time improving any weak parts of their application. It wasn't your MCAT, so if you strengthened your ECs, you will likely have a fair second chance.

Been complete since mid-late August. Think I've been silently rejected?

Been complete since mid-late August. Think I've been silently rejected?

I shall repeat... Complete early/mid-August and just got an II a few days ago (which I am thrilled about). Patience!

Definitely not. If you haven't received an invitation to interview by the end of January, you are probably out.

For those who have interviewed but haven't heard anything yet, take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of admits don't hear until March.

Based on experience last year, this is how acceptances usually come out:
5% sent out in October
5% sent out in November
5% sent out in December
5% sent out in January
5% sent out in February
75% sent out in March

Hang in there guys.

That was the exact plan Dimple highlighted to us last year, so I would expect this to be what you see this year unless they have made changes for this year.

Withdrew today! Out of state tuition is EXPENSIVE. Good luck all!

does anyone know what sort of financial aid is offered to OOS students ? I have an interview date for 12/15 but have recently been accepted to U. of Chicago with a full tuition scholarship. I have looked around on Colorado's financial aid website but cant seem to find anything specific.

does anyone know what sort of financial aid is offered to OOS students ? I have an interview date for 12/15 but have recently been accepted to U. of Chicago with a full tuition scholarship. I have looked around on Colorado's financial aid website but cant seem to find anything specific.

The only thing better than a full tuition scholarship at UChicago is if they actually paid you a stipend to come to CU...that's not very likely.

Same boat! IS, 3.49 gpa, 33S mcat. complete 9/7 no word. And I've worked at CU SOM for 2 years, authored a paper here. It's killlllllling me

Hello!

For those already accepted or current students, does anyone know when they start mailing out the financial aid packets and the like? I'd like to get started if I can!

Thanks!

Hello!

For those already accepted or current students, does anyone know when they start mailing out the financial aid packets and the like? I'd like to get started if I can!

Thanks!

I'm wondering this too!

My numbers and dates are almost the same as yours from last year and I was waitlisted and then rejected by CU last go round. Unfortunately I was complete with my secondary last week. CU is all about the wait, get a new hobby, get off SDN. By the time you hear back, that hobby will have turned into a great talent and you will have more out of this experience besides an empty wallet and a bunch of stress.

I was waitlisted and then rejected by CU last go round.

I'm glad to see you back, lala. You always seemed like you were in this for the right reasons, and I was disappointed when you said you were going to take a year off. I'm sure applying late won't hurt your application at all here. You know how CU's timing works, and your chances are better as a re-applicant. Basically, you're a shoo-in this year. Just follow you're own advice, and don't drive yourself nuts on this thread while waiting. I mostly learned that lesson ;-)

Anyone else here interview this past Friday (11-30-2012)? (Feel free to send me a PM if so :))

After visiting the campus, meeting current and prospective students, and going through the interview process, I am super excited at the prospect of attending CU! Of course I have no idea whether I will actually get in as an OOSer, but here's wishing everyone else applying to CU the best of luck!

There are merit and diversity scholarships offered. You will be contacted if you are being offered one, I think. Congrats on the UChicago scholarship, that's wonderful! I would call or email the CU admissions office to tell them that you have a full-tuition scholarship elsewhere and ask if they might be able to offer you a similar financial aid package.

Wait wait wait guys, at my interview on 11/17 they said that the earliest we could hear back was in 2 and a half weeks...any chance we hear like today or tomorrow??????

Wait wait wait guys, at my interview on 11/17 they said that the earliest we could hear back was in 2 and a half weeks...any chance we hear like today or tomorrow??????

It's possible, but don't expect to definitely hear back today. My interview group (29-Oct) was told the same thing, but to the best of my knowledge, no one in my group has heard back yet.

Hopefully everyone hears sooner rather than later, though.

I just called this morning and found out that they send out the packets after all the decisions have been made, so in March.

Did you by any chance ask when theyll send out the next batch of acceptances? XD

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Did you by any chance ask when theyll send out the next batch of acceptances? XD

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Yes if someone would be brave enough to call and see when the next acceptances come out, I'm sure we would all be eternally grateful!

So at the risk of sounding intensely neurotic, did other people's post-interview statuses change to "Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March 31st"? Just noticed this today

So at the risk of sounding intensely neurotic, did other people's post-interview statuses change to "Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March 31st"? Just noticed this today

Yea, mine is like that. I interviewed 10-29, don't know when it changed though, but its been like that for a while now.

Also have that. Interviewed 10/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.