2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see you back, lala. You always seemed like you were in this for the right reasons, and I was disappointed when you said you were going to take a year off. I'm sure applying late won't hurt your application at all here. You know how CU's timing works, and your chances are better as a re-applicant. Basically, you're a shoo-in this year. Just follow you're own advice, and don't drive yourself nuts on this thread while waiting. I mostly learned that lesson ;-)

I guess it's good to be memorable. Hopefully I'm memorable to the admissions staff too :thumbup: ...for the good qualities though. lol

I still think the lateness hurts me a lot, and I'm not anticipating an interview but I can always hope for the best. I think working at CUSOM last year and walking by the admissions staff all the time made me a little crazy. Elevator rides with Dean Winn were always awkward. It took some time for me to get enough confidence to reapply, but I did it, and now I'm states away, so hopefully it's a lot less stressful!

Good luck to everyone! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, was just curious, but my fiance received an alternate list email yesterday for the MSTP program. Can anyone make of this? (or should I post this on the MSTP thread?) I'm not sure how the MSTP and MD programs work, but is she still in the running for the MD program as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS acceptance a few minutes ago. interviewed 12/7.

OOS note: the acceptance letter notes that OOS students remain at OOS tuition for all 4 years (about 58k/yr).

IS acceptance a few minutes ago. interviewed 12/7.

OOS note: the acceptance letter notes that OOS students remain at OOS tuition for all 4 years (about 58k/yr).

Congrats on your acceptance! Talk about a quick turnaround. Awesome job! :) :D

Email actually, which is funny because they said we would get a call. Thanks guys!! Good luck to everyone!

OOS acceptance this morning! Interviewed 12/7. Notified by e-mail. Best of luck to everyone else currently applying.

OOS acceptance this morning! Interviewed 12/7. Notified by e-mail. Best of luck to everyone else currently applying.

I know it was previously posted about OOS as 58k/yr tuition. Will you confirm details surrounding this? I have seen on their website they only charge you this if you withdraw from the program. Do they reimburse you post graduation? Or do they only charge you those fees if you withdraw?

sooo..trying to gauge thoughts/solicit opinions...i've been sitting on this secondary for a bit. i'm really excited about this school, but didn't have funds until recently. i feel like i can scrape by if i turn the secondary in, but not sure if its worth it this late. anyone have any advice?

I know it was previously posted about OOS as 58k/yr tuition. Will you confirm details surrounding this? I have seen on their website they only charge you this if you withdraw from the program. Do they reimburse you post graduation? Or do they only charge you those fees if you withdraw?

http://www.ucdenver.edu/student-ser...ost/Pages/2012-13-School-of-Medicine-COA.aspx

Im not super well informed on the oos process, but my understanding is that you will be an "accountable" student and if you were to withdraw/drop out you would retroactively owe "non resident" tuition. So you pay 58/yr all along, but should you withdraw you would owe the difference. Im sure someone with cu will be along shortly who can confirm/deny this.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS acceptance yesterday (12/12) morning, interviewed 11/30, e-mail notification.

Good luck to everyone else who's applying!

Does anyone know if we send the verification of residency form to the admissions office or to the registrar?

Has anyone who interviewed 11/17 heard anything back yet?

Congrats to everyone who received an acceptance email on 12/12!

Hey. So I interviewed on 11/17 and got accepted 12/12. In state applicant. Best early Christmas present ever! Best of luck to everyone else who is applying

So rumor has it Dr. Winn has decided to resign from the CU School of Medicine to go practice in the slums of Chicago -- an "I told you so" research project of sorts concerning the PPACA. This is not yet reflected on the website, but I found it interesting. Anyone able to confirm or have I just announced something WAY before I was supposed to? (OOPS?!?)

I heard that from several medical students, who said he would be gone by the end of the year. I wonder if that may be a reason why they're not doing personal phone calls for every admitted student. I didn't get one.

When I interviewed (11/30), Dr. Winn disclosed that he would be leaving Colorado to head to Illinois to work on a ~3+ year project based around the PPACA. I do not believe it had (has?) been formally announced yet.

So rumor has it Dr. Winn has decided to resign from the CU School of Medicine to go practice in the slums of Chicago -- an "I told you so" research project of sorts concerning the PPACA. This is not yet reflected on the website, but I found it interesting. Anyone able to confirm or have I just announced something WAY before I was supposed to? (OOPS?!?)

The Dean of the Medical School, Dr. Richard Krugman mentioned that Dr. Winn is leaving during his State of the School address last week, so I don't think it's a secret. It's a bummer! He's a great Dean of Admissions. Yeah, I never got a phone call, either. Just an email (best email of my life!!!). Good luck to everyone!

The phone calls often come much much later. Dr. Winn called me personally last year a month after I was accepted by email.

I've heard rumblings here and elsewhere about the push back against the trend of admitting a higher percentage of OOS students at Colorado. Since it is the only medical school for 500 miles, it's understandable that Colorado residents (like me, for instance) feel shafted by their state school on this point, especially when you compare CU's IS/OOS admission percentages (around 60/40, according to Dr. Winn at my interview back in October) to UNMC's (about 90/10, according to my interview there). At least Nebraska residents have another "in state" option at Creighton. Yes, I've heard that DU is exploring its options to found a private medical school here in Denver.

Anyway, would Dr. Winn's departure be related to this issue? Speculation?

would Dr. Winn's departure be related to this issue?

Absolutely not. He was offered an incredible just-can't-turn-it-down opportunity.

Anyway, would Dr. Winn's departure be related to this issue? Speculation?

Really? It would take quite an unsubstantiated leap to make that conclusion. No evidence, or even hearsay, to support that type of speculation whatsoever.

Really? It would take quite an unsubstantiated leap to make that conclusion. No evidence, or even hearsay, to support that type of speculation whatsoever.

Hearsay is an out-of-court statement offered for the truth of the matter asserted... in court. Just saying.

Hearsay is an out-of-court statement offered for the truth of the matter asserted... in court. Just saying.

Hearsay is "information gathered by one person from another person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience." Just saying. It's an evidentiary standard for logic in general, not just a legal one.

Hearsay is "information gathered by one person from another person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience." Just saying. It's an evidentiary standard for logic in general, not just a legal one.

You are so good at copy-pasting from the first sentence of wikipedia!!!

You are so good at copy-pasting from the first sentence of wikipedia!!!

What are you, some kind of idiot? I put it in quotes, obviously I copied it from somewhere! If I was making any attempt whatsoever to hide that fact, maybe I wouldn't have put it in quotes. Just saying. Then I explained why you were wrong for unjustly calling out peopleOFbean for improper use of the term. Also, I don't see anything wrong with copying a definition verbatim because it is, you know, a definition. A definition that you got wrong. Your sarcastic retort does nothing to change that fact.

What are you, some kind of idiot?

To quote others in this forum, this one stings a bit.

According to your method of proof (i.e. lifting definitions off of the internet), YOUR definition of hearsay is wrong. See this quote that I just found on wikianswers:

"Hearsay is a legal term."

Lawyered!

There's a difference between everyday use and legalese, though. "Hearsay" and "Hearsay evidence" aren't always mutually inclusive. Look it up in Webster's.

Last edited:
Last time I checked this is the CU thread. I think you all are looking for the "Who Gives a ****?" thread on some other forum.

Last time I checked this is the CU thread. I think you all are looking for the "Who Gives a ****?" thread on some other forum.

Thanks for straightening those folks out. Judging from the quick and harsh responses to my original question, this must be a sore point that some would like to see swept under the rug...

sup, lads and bonnie lasses? Interview invite at approximately 5:10pm central standard time (that's 4:10pm mountain for you laymen out there). I'm out-of-state with exceedingly average stat-ist-ix. Grew up in Colorado, tho, so I'm flaming pretty hard for this nine-game win streak the Bronx are on.

Honestly took me by surprise, as I had all but resigned myself to receiving no positive word back from CU. is the fact I'm hearing so late in the game a sign that I'm in the muck at the bottom of the barrel and got lucky? or is there a more sanguine method to this madness?

Thanks for straightening those folks out. Judging from the quick and harsh responses to my original question, this must be a sore point that some would like to see swept under the rug...

Sorry, your judgement couldn't be more wrong. Again.

People on this thread don't like seeing Dr. Winn's name getting dragged through the mud. Asking for speculation regarding the departure of an administrator is in poor taste, at best. Just because you may be upset that your IS school is taking more OOS applicants doesn't mean that any rumors need to be started surrounding Dr. Winn's departure. He's an accomplished physician and took a great opportunity in another state. Don't try and make it into something that it's not. That's why quick and harsh responses were given to your original question.

As ErrantWhatever said, this is a thread about helping others through an application process. Not starting rumors. I'm done arguing this point.

Sorry, your judgement couldn't be more wrong. Again.

People on this thread don't like seeing Dr. Winn's name getting dragged through the mud. Asking for speculation regarding the departure of an administrator is in poor taste, at best. Just because you may be upset that your IS school is taking more OOS applicants doesn't mean that any rumors need to be started surrounding Dr. Winn's departure. He's an accomplished physician and took a great opportunity in another state. Don't try and make it into something that it's not. That's why quick and harsh responses were given to your original question.

As ErrantWhatever said, this is a thread about helping others through an application process. Not starting rumors. I'm done arguing this point.

Where does all of your attitude come from? Who's said anything about dragging Dr. Winn's name through the mud? If there are internal politics at play, or some power struggle surrounding the school's directional philosophy, then that is legitimate fodder for this thread. I asked a question, got one rational answer from LingoLaine, then you teed off on some sort of preemptive crusade.

You seem to be engaging in a one-sided flame war, kind of like what's his name at the RNC in Tampa, berating the empty chair. Also, you shouldn't assume that you speak for "people on this thread", and nobody appreciates self-appointed playground monitors. Your need to martial forces to your argument simply serves to erode its validity.

On the other hand, if you have something intelligent to say, feel free to chip in.

Where does all of your attitude come from? Who's said anything about dragging Dr. Winn's name through the mud? If there are internal politics at play, or some power struggle surrounding the school's directional philosophy, then that is legitimate fodder for this thread. I asked a question, got one rational answer from LingoLaine, then you teed off on some sort of preemptive crusade.

You seem to be engaging in a one-sided flame war, kind of like what's his name at the RNC in Tampa, berating the empty chair. Also, you shouldn't assume that you speak for "people on this thread", and nobody appreciates self-appointed playground monitors. Your need to martial forces to your argument simply serves to erode its validity.

On the other hand, if you have something intelligent to say, feel free to chip in.

all else aside, methinks it's "marshal forces"

I also (at long last...) received an II today (also at 4:10 MST...). I feel relieved for sure. But as we all know this is no guarantee!

On the IS vs OOS note, I find it easy to search for reasons why I didn't get in last year: unfair admissions process, too much of an emphasis on"diversity" without really disclosing what that may mean, the med school seeking higher payments from OOS students, the large amount of sheer luck that it seems to take to get noticed/have a great interviewing faculty member, etc. In the end, though, it's all speculation and probably none of it is true. It's easy to find comfort in these frustrations and voice them aloud. The fact is, however, nearly all of the applicants to this school are wonderful people and most of them would, with proper training and guidance, make phenomenal physicians. Though I saw other's dreams getting fulfilled last year and mine slipping away, I think that we can all still root for and support those who receive acceptances. Like Dr. Winn said last year at the interview day - look at the others here not as competition but as future peers.

So take heart, all you applicants! There are still Interview Invitations to be had...and wonderful years and careers ahead.

interview invite yesterday for 1/11/12, FINALLY!!!

I was complete 9/7- so there is hope still for those of you who haven't heard back in over 3 months :)
in-state, mcat 33s, undergrad gpa 3.49, grad gpa 3.97

I called the admissions office every single week to ask for updates- maybe that made a difference?

Good luck to all!

interview invite yesterday for 1/11/12, FINALLY!!!

I was complete 9/7- so there is hope still for those of you who haven't heard back in over 3 months :)
in-state, mcat 33s, undergrad gpa 3.49, grad gpa 3.97

I called the admissions office every single week to ask for updates- maybe that made a difference?

Good luck to all!

Congrats to newest IIs!

I was complete mid-Sept. I'm thinking not hearing anything yesterday is a bad sign :(

Last edited:
I also (at long last...) received an II today (also at 4:10 MST...). I feel relieved for sure. But as we all know this is no guarantee!

On the IS vs OOS note, I find it easy to search for reasons why I didn't get in last year: unfair admissions process, too much of an emphasis on"diversity" without really disclosing what that may mean, the med school seeking higher payments from OOS students, the large amount of sheer luck that it seems to take to get noticed/have a great interviewing faculty member, etc. In the end, though, it's all speculation and probably none of it is true. It's easy to find comfort in these frustrations and voice them aloud. The fact is, however, nearly all of the applicants to this school are wonderful people and most of them would, with proper training and guidance, make phenomenal physicians. Though I saw other's dreams getting fulfilled last year and mine slipping away, I think that we can all still root for and support those who receive acceptances. Like Dr. Winn said last year at the interview day - look at the others here not as competition but as future peers.

So take heart, all you applicants! There are still Interview Invitations to be had...and wonderful years and careers ahead.

what a nice, kind note! this is such a subjective process, bottom line, so when your stats are good there really is not a very clear way of explaining why things happen the way they do.

good luck to you this year though and thanks for the encouragement! maybe we'll have the same interview date!

Congrats to newest IIs!

I was complete mid-Sept, oos with a 33 and ~3.8 gpa. I'm thinking not hearing anything yesterday is a bad sign :(

No, don't think that. I actually work at UCH in the ER, and one of the docs I work with is on the admissions board- he told me that UCH starts slow in the admissions process and they are even more behind than usual this year (hence why most applicants don't know their end status until 3/15). So don't get disheartened.

If I were you I would either call the admissions office or write a letter to express continuing interest and ask about your status! But don't lose hope, I submitted even before you and i JUST heard back after bombarding them with calls for like a month straight.

Hey y'all. Instate student accepted 12/12, interviewed on 11/17. 31Q + 3.6 GPA. Nail the interview and they'll show you love!

Status
Not open for further replies.