2012-2013 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what's this of a us account? lol how does this work?

OK you know how the US News whatever posts their rankings for schools? They also have an option to pay money for an account that lets you see more information about each such, such as... drumrollll please, the number of acceptances each year (incl. those taken off waitlist) and it breaks it down too like oos, is, men, women.

Members don't see this ad.

OK you know how the US News whatever posts their rankings for schools? They also have an option to pay money for an account that lets you see more information about each such, such as... drumrollll please, the number of acceptances each year (incl. those taken off waitlist) and it breaks it down too like oos, is, men, women.

annnnnnnnnnnd how much is the information in question lol lol... just out of curiosity hahaha (actually my friend wants to know and I might just convince him of this because I'm running on a student budget right now hahahaa)

Sorry can you direct me where I can specifically find this info like a link or something lol as long as its not an arm and a leg ik buying that extra info....it would e much appreciated and I got my email at 430 808 time

Members don't see this ad :)
Wonder why they are so secretive about it? The whole admissions process has been so exhausting at this school but I guess that's what happens when you have a really small class.
That's not a bad strategy, I might hold onto hope until may and then do the same! Hopefully in the meantime some instates will give up their spots to some mainland schools and we'll get lucky

Sorry can you direct me where I can specifically find this info like a link or something lol as long as its not an arm and a leg ik buying that extra info....it would e much appreciated and I got my email at 430 808 time

Here it is: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/store/medical_school_compass.htm?src=biglock

Wait I'm going to PM another SDN user that gave me info on another school in a PM. I will try to get that back to everyone asap... hopefuly they will respond to me.

Yeah if you could post that info that would be even more appreciated lol I'm also on a students budget and paying 30 bucks just to look at something for ten seconds seems a little wasteful(even though I will probably give into temptation within a few days)

That would be amazing!! Thanks cinamin; which package did they buy (the 35$ or 29.99$ one?) or just the 10$ book?

I'm not sure - that's why I don't know which one to even buy lol ! I just PM'd that person and I don't know them in real life lol... I met them on SDN and they previously shared another school info with me. I will post as soon as I hear back!!!

Oh and I'm also broke too otherwise I would pay

I'm gonna check out last year's thread again.. I guess they aren't sending more emails tonight, but maybe this year, they would write each one out and then email it? Rather than sending them at once on an auto account or something. We could sit here for days and speculate the possibilities!!! ahhhh Hopefully that person PMs me the info soon.

I'm gonna check out last year's thread again.. I guess they aren't sending more emails tonight, but maybe this year, they would write each one out and then email it? Rather than sending them at once on an auto account or something. We could sit here for days and speculate the possibilities!!! ahhhh Hopefully that person PMs me the info soon.

sooooo my partner bought me this because they were going to use it for law schools hahaha how do I work this website lol and I'll get everyone the info.

......... the numbers don't actually make sense... like it says things like 16 people applied... obviously more than 16 people applied.

Last edited:
sooooo my partner bought me this because they were going to use it for law schools hahaha how do I work this website lol and I'll get everyone the info.

......... the numbers don't actually make sense... like it says things like 16 people applied... obviously more than 16 people applied.

Once you log in cant u find jabsom and under the admissions?

haha ok cool well hmm... are you on the UHawaii page? That is soo weird it says only 16 applied. Try scrolling around?

haha ok cool well hmm... are you on the UHawaii page? That is soo weird it says only 16 applied. Try scrolling around?

look at the screen shot .. lol. I triple checked the website... (I had to shrink it because of the size limit so sorry if it looks distorted)... but moreover nothing about wait-lists etc.

haha no no like it says 16 people APPLIED... that's not even possible!

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
look at the screen shot .. lol. I triple checked the website.

Wow this is wack. you gotta get a refund. In last year's thread, they posted the year prior - so they were saying that 36 people got off the WL last last year, 20 IS, and 16 OOS (so that means 16 OOS declined seats)

Wow this is wack. you gotta get a refund. In last year's thread, they posted the year prior - so they were saying that 36 people got off the WL last last year, 20 IS, and 16 OOS (so that means 16 OOS declined seats)

LOL just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went and checked Harvard on the website and their numbers are totally messed up too... sooo I don't know if it's just my computer or what?

Actually Cinamin do you want to message me (if you dont mind) the numbers you got for the other school and I can look it up and see if I can confirm those numbers?

If anything, things get published in MSAR 2012-2013 no? <-- if anyone can pop into their local book-store, I just tried to find it here and it's sold out everywhere (I live in a small town haha)...... when in doubt turn to journal articles http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3071186/

I hope that helps everyone out on the process of selection but as for wait-listing, I got nothing!

Last edited:
soooo, I just saw on fb that some people got acceptances. the one that i saw was IS. aaaarrgh!!! what does this mean?!?!?!:eek::eek::eek:

soooo, I just saw on fb that some people got acceptances. the one that i saw was IS. aaaarrgh!!! what does this mean?!?!?!:eek::eek::eek:

whaat? like how many people

howcome nobody posted their acceptance on sdn yet?!

idk, all i saw is one of my friends posted "my brother just got into uh med school!". this post was last night so i'm assuming that he got the letter yesterday.

idk, all i saw is one of my friends posted "my brother just got into uh med school!". this post was last night so i'm assuming that he got the letter yesterday.

Is it normal for so few sdners to post; has anyone heard rejections?

IS Accepted! So excited! I was waitlisted last year and didn't get in. From last year's forum, I would guess about ten people got off the waitlist last year. That's not to say that only ten would get off this year. It fluctuates so much every year, it's hard to get any data. To all those who were waitlisted, I know how you feel. Just stay busy, and keep hope! If it's meant to happen, it will.

IS Accepted! So excited! I was waitlisted last year and didn't get in. From last year's forum, I would guess about ten people got off the waitlist last year. That's not to say that only ten would get off this year. It fluctuates so much every year, it's hard to get any data. To all those who were waitlisted, I know how you feel. Just stay busy, and keep hope! If it's meant to happen, it will.
congrats! when did you find out?

I called, and they said that all decisions will be out by the end of the week.

Congrats on your acceptance! Not gonna lie, pretty jealo over here! But mahalos for the words of encouragement to all those wait listed... I just hope there's more movement than there was last year. It ain't over till the fat lady sings!!!:xf:

Congrats!! At least by tomorrow we should know more about everyone else's status; Let the waiting game begin hahaha.. err.. continue lol.

hawaii808, what do you think was the difference in your success this cycle vs wait list last year?

LOL just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went and checked Harvard on the website and their numbers are totally messed up too... sooo I don't know if it's just my computer or what?

Actually Cinamin do you want to message me (if you dont mind) the numbers you got for the other school and I can look it up and see if I can confirm those numbers?

If anything, things get published in MSAR 2012-2013 no? <-- if anyone can pop into their local book-store, I just tried to find it here and it's sold out everywhere (I live in a small town haha)...... when in doubt turn to journal articles http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3071186/

I hope that helps everyone out on the process of selection but as for wait-listing, I got nothing!

Hey guys, I got a free copy of the MSAR. Heres the info for JABSOM:

In state | Out of State
# Applicants: 195 | 1327
Interviewed: 172| 71
Matriculated: 51 | 12

Let me know if you guys want more info :) I haven't received an email yet so the waiting still continues...

Hey guys, I got a free copy of the MSAR. Heres the info for JABSOM:

In state | Out of State
# Applicants: 195 | 1327
Interviewed: 172| 71
Matriculated: 51 | 12

Let me know if you guys want more info :) I haven't received an email yet so the waiting still continues...
Is this for this year? How is that even possible when some of us haven't gotten an email yet and people haven't confirmed their attendance?

hawaii808, what do you think was the difference in your success this cycle vs wait list last year?
I continued to volunteer a lot and shadow various physicians, but what really propelled my candidacy was my MCATs. I really improved my MCAT score (7 pts)! I used Kaplan books last year, and switched to the Berkley Review. I was obsessed with improving my MCAT because I knew it was the lone factor that really held me back. But, from all the JABSOM students that I've spoken with, they all tell me that JABSOM weighs the interviews as heavily as they weigh your academics. I don't know what your stats/extracurriculars are like and how your interviews went, but if there are glaring weaknesses in your application, I would spend most of my time addressing them. Also, contact Dr. Nip Asano to determine what they felt were the weaknesses in your application.

I know it's hard being waitlisted, but just remember, it is NOT a rejection. There were simply too many good candidates to choose from. If you are passionate about becoming a physician, this is just a minor setback.

LiveLoveLearn- I am OOS as well, still waiting to hear back. Would you mind sharing your stats please?

LiveLoveLearn- I am OOS as well, still waiting to hear back. Would you mind sharing your stats please?

Can people also post where (which state/international?) :)? annnnd also if people are accepting their invite or not :)

Last edited:
has anyone been rejected? theres such little news, its creeping me out lol

That's exactly what I am thinking. I am tempted to call...
Ditto. I'm worried that the only ppl that responded were those that got accepted or waitlisted. Does this mean I'm rejected???? However there was someone who got his/her acceptance letter a few hours ago. I just don't get why the letters didnt l get sent out! Going craaaazy

I continued to volunteer a lot and shadow various physicians, but what really propelled my candidacy was my MCATs. I really improved my MCAT score (7 pts)! I used Kaplan books last year, and switched to the Berkley Review. I was obsessed with improving my MCAT because I knew it was the lone factor that really held me back. But, from all the JABSOM students that I've spoken with, they all tell me that JABSOM weighs the interviews as heavily as they weigh your academics. I don't know what your stats/extracurriculars are like and how your interviews went, but if there are glaring weaknesses in your application, I would spend most of my time addressing them. Also, contact Dr. Nip Asano to determine what they felt were the weaknesses in your application.

I know it's hard being waitlisted, but just remember, it is NOT a rejection. There were simply too many good candidates to choose from. If you are passionate about becoming a physician, this is just a minor setback.

Wow thanks for such a detailed response! 7 points score improvement that's huge! I too was a reapplicant and got rejected last year. Definitely my Mcat was my biggest downfall, which I retook but by score only went up 2 points vs 5-6 improvements I was getting on the practice tests. Text anxiety I guess? They also told me to improve on my clinical shadowing which I did and got a LOR out of. Everything else in my app seemed fine. I felt like my interviews went pretty well, much better than last year. I blame it on the MCAT!!!:bang:

I'm worried now that no one's heard in a few hours. I wonder if they sent out all the wait lists and acceptances, and are waiting until tomorrow to send rejections.

just got denied
in state first time applicant
33 mcat
3.65 cum gpa from ucla

just got denied
in state first time applicant
33 mcat
3.65 cum gpa from ucla

Salty balls! Are you haole? Do you have a lot of clinical hours? You're GPA is the same mine and you're MCAT is higher. Regardless, I hope you get into the school of your dreams and best of luck!

Salty balls! Are you haole? Do you have a lot of clinical hours? You're GPA is the same mine and you're MCAT is higher. Regardless, I hope you get into the school of your dreams and best of luck!

kinda weird that my skin color is your first question but yes im haole. shadowed in pathology for all of last summer, but i guess i need more. what extra curriculars did you have/ are you in state?

Has any international applicant heard back as yet?

hey livinglavida MCAT I'm wait-listed and an international student if that counts.. but I haven't seen any international student acceptances come up yet...

so does that mean rejections are rolling out right now as well? (time stamp?)

... I haven't heard back yet... hmmm.

I'm worried now that no one's heard in a few hours. I wonder if they sent out all the wait lists and acceptances, and are waiting until tomorrow to send rejections.

yeah this is a trippy method this year... ugh I hope it's not true.. I will be sad about it

Status
Not open for further replies.