2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe they said it topped off at around $25K/year. How many they gave out was unclear. Everyone is considered, you don't have to apply separately, etc. I doubt they give out a ton though.
Yeah. And all up to the dean's discretion. She has a certain budget and give as much to a person as she wants. haha
 
Lol Harvard has a monopoly at MGH and Brigham & women's in a lot of specialties in terms of residency spots. But it's not impossible to match into them if you go to BU, at least according to my interviewer.

Between all the Harvard hospitals, there are probably thousands of residency spots. Even if 100% of HMS's class matches into one of those hospitals, that still leaves a few thousand residency spots for us plebians.

Just google '[specialty] MGH current residents', a lot of departments will show what medical schools their current residents come from. There is a pretty good mix of schools from all over the country.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got bad news from BU yesterday (Thanksgiving). I was complete 9/11. Would have been wonderful to visit Boston. Good luck everyone! :luck:
 
Got an email earlier today. They still haven't reviewed my app. It said they received a lot more apps than they anticipated this year and were behind a few weeks. I was complete 10/15.
 
Got an email earlier today. They still haven't reviewed my app. It said they received a lot more apps than they anticipated this year and were behind a few weeks. I was complete 10/15.
I've been complete since 9/16 and I haven't heard a peep from them. Mehh
 
I don't think it is going to be that cold in February... I'm from az and have been living here for a year now, its not that bad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completely unexpected II just now!

Open dates include the Monday and Wednesday of the first two weeks of January.

OOS, info in MDApps.
I'm pretty sure you are having the most efficient (not really the right word, but that's the only way I can describe it) cycle on sdn. Congrats!!
 
I got an email this morning from Dr. Witzburg apologizing for an extended review of my file. Any one knows what that means? I don't know if I've had a first pass on my file and they wanted to give it a more closer look. I expected rejection or II. It is kind of really courteous of them that they would even care to contact you regarding something like this. That speaks loads! Was complete late October.
 
I got an email this morning from Dr. Witzburg apologizing for an extended review of my file. Any one knows what that means? I don't know if I've had a first pass on my file and they wanted to give it a more closer look. I expected rejection or II. It is kind of really courteous of them that they would even care to contact you regarding something like this. That speaks loads! Was complete late October.
Ugh, I've been complete since Sept. and absolutely nothing.
 
I got an email this morning from Dr. Witzburg apologizing for an extended review of my file. Any one knows what that means? I don't know if I've had a first pass on my file and they wanted to give it a more closer look. I expected rejection or II. It is kind of really courteous of them that they would even care to contact you regarding something like this. That speaks loads! Was complete late October.

I don't know that it actually means anything, but for what its worth I got that email too and then received an II two months later. Good luck :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get a post-interview "contact information email"?

I got one this morning. From last year's thread, it seems to be a precursor for the adcom to make sure they have up to date contact info before they send out decisions -- BU waits such a long time between the early interviews and decisions I think they want to make sure people haven't moved or had to change phone numbers in the interim
 
So when do you guys think we'll get decisions? Mid January or early January? Also do they call or just email?
 
Interview Invite! Jan 6

Really took me by surprise. Already accepted to Tufts so it's an interesting situation to be in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've just withdrawn my application and canceled my interview. If one of you wants to snatch up the 1/22 date, go for it now!

Hoping it goes to one of you...good luck guys!