-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm in 🙂 my interviewer never called/emailed me. I would love to be a student here next year.
I took a cold shower just to be sure it wasn't a dreamAccepted! Everything feels so surreal that I am afraid I am about to wake up from a dream.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Deferred. Oh well. I feel a mixture of appreciation that I'm not rejected and sadness at one more disappointment from this horrible process.
Deferred!
Deferred as well. Was anyone rejected?
ACCEPTED!!! No call or email. The wait was killing me
Deferred as well. Was anyone rejected?
They don't reject until March. They also will not be accepting anyone else or wait-listing until March. Lots of waiting now. Waiting waiting. Waiting. Patiently. Not hating every minute of uncertainty.
I thought the dean said they rejected a lot in January...?
They do reject now. I don't know if it's a lot though. They might reject the majority in March.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Deferred too, would love to know this as well. My e-mail made it seem like at least some rejections went out, but doesn't seem like it on SDN. This wait feels like purgatory.Deferred... More waiting for me...
How much of the first batch does BU defer anyways?
They accept 1/3 which is about 70-100. What are the defer and reject stats like?
Deferred. let the praying and waiting begin. Here is to hoping for better news in March....
Deferred, so it's right back to hurry up and wait.
Just to alleviate any doubt, I was rejected post interview this morning. Surprisingly, I am alright with this decision as the school felt like a bad fit for me. Hopefully me being cut means there will be more room for those of you that really loved the school. Good luck to all of you still in the running.
If you don't mind me asking, what was it that made the school seem like a bad fit?
Certainly, but perhaps it would be best if you PM me about that. I would rather not post my misgivings on this thread (which really are minor and personal) and make the atmosphere negative. BU is truly a great medical school and, looking at their match list, they do an excellent job getting their students to high places. It just didn’t feel like a place that I would like to spend the next 4 years of my life, but I am sure other students could have an incredible experience.
Simply put, there have been schools where I left the administration building after an interview day and wanted to jump up and punch the sky in enthusiasm, this just didn’t happen for me at BU.
So it goes.
alright guys, see you all in March. Same place, same time, same neuroticism?
Hello,
If I've been deferred, do I still have a decent chance of being accepted in March? This is my top-choice school.
Thanks.
If I've been deferred, do I still have a decent chance of being accepted in March? This is my top-choice school.
Thanks.
+1Just to alleviate any doubt, I was rejected post interview this morning. Surprisingly, I am alright with this decision as the school felt like a bad fit for me. Hopefully me being cut means there will be more room for those of you that really loved the school. Good luck to all of you still in the running.
I believe they admit as many students, if not more, in March. You still probably have a good shot! Why not write a follow-up letter to restate interest and communicate that it is your top-choice school?Hello,
If I've been deferred, do I still have a decent chance of being accepted in March? This is my top-choice school.
Thanks.
Accepted to BU yesterday! This is just awesome! Congrats to all the other accepted students!!!
For the people who were deferred, I believe in the interview the dean said that they do two rounds and accept even more in the second round so not to be discouraged if you don't hear in January.
To all those rejected, keep your head up and don't lose hope! This process is incredibly difficult, but you will find a spot you love somewhere if your heart is in it! Good luck!
For the people who were deferred, I believe in the interview the dean said that they do two rounds and accept even more in the second round so not to be discouraged if you don't hear in January.
To all those rejected, keep your head up and don't lose hope! This process is incredibly difficult, but you will find a spot you love somewhere if your heart is in it! Good luck!
Congrats to all those who were accepted! I'm interviewing next week, does anyone know how quickly they return decisions after their first string of acceptances?
If I'm not wrong they said you would hear back in march with the rest of the deferred applicantsCongrats to all those who were accepted! I'm interviewing next week, does anyone know how quickly they return decisions after their first string of acceptances?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1On board the deferred bandwagon. Lots of patience this cycle.
I am from CA and was accepted yesterday. Interview was 11/4It doesn't seem like it...
also, has anyone been accepted from California?
Assuming you were accepted, you are one honorable dude.withdrew, good luck all
alright guys, see you all in March. Same place, same time, same neuroticism?
this is the second verse, same as the first -- except a whole lot louder and a whole lot worse!
I did today, the post date is 1/10. I'm in the Washington DC area for reference
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Late to the party, but I was accepted by email on Friday as well! For future reference, I had no contact from my interviewer before getting accepted. Loved this school, and loved its focus on providing healthcare to the underserved. Not to mention the fact that I love Boston and would love to stay here!
MD/PhD applicant deferred til March. Woo.
Any recommendations for the deferred? I would like to have my application strengthened by March. I already sent in an update about research conferences, etc.
Any recommendations for the deferred? I would like to have my application strengthened by March. I already sent in an update about research conferences, etc.
Found out about the Dean's Scholarship today! 15k/year. BU is awesome! Are there any current medical students who can give insight about cost of living in Boston? I didn't get to ask around enough when I interviewed.
Did you have to apply for that?Found out about the Dean's Scholarship today! 15k/year. BU is awesome! Are there any current medical students who can give insight about cost of living in Boston? I didn't get to ask around enough when I interviewed.
Did you have to apply for that?
No
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Found out about the Dean's Scholarship today! 15k/year. BU is awesome! Are there any current medical students who can give insight about cost of living in Boston? I didn't get to ask around enough when I interviewed.
Boston is expensive. Expect sticker shock if you're moving from anywhere but NYC and maybe San Francisco. Having a car (I think I remember in my interview they said you probably do need one for third and fourth years?) is particularly brutal.
Oh and don't ever rent an apartment from Alpha management: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2013/12/31/anwar-faisal-worst-landlord-boston/
Edit: Decided these statements are too negative by themselves. Boston is awesome! I've loved living here the last few years! But...expensive.
Found out about the Dean's Scholarship today! 15k/year. BU is awesome! Are there any current medical students who can give insight about cost of living in Boston? I didn't get to ask around enough when I interviewed.
Got a scholarship as well!! Thanks BU! That definitely helps ease my fears about BU's affordability.
I'm obviously not a current student, but I live in Boston currently and so can shed some light on CoL here. We're cheaper than NYC and San Francisco, maybe equal to DC (but probably not), and more expensive than most other places. BU has subsidized ish housing (the MSR), which I think goes for somewhere in the $800-900 range per month? Rent in the area around BUSM/BMC will either be very expensive (the South End) or not where you want to live (Roxbury). There are plenty of other options farther away though. You could live somewhere in Jamaica Plain or Cambridge/Somerville and pay 800-850 or lower per month. I live across the river in Somerville and love it, and so would probably stay there if I matriculated here next year. Commute is probably 30-40 minutes to the medical campus, and I'm paying a little below $850 per month.
Assorted other things: The T is great, and you shouldn't need a car. Food seems about the same price as elsewhere.Boston has no happy hours (sad face), so you won't necessarily be finding super cheap drinks left and right if going out is your thing.
I also got an email about a Dean's Scholarship but mine was only $5K/year. I guess they give different amounts.
As for living in Boston, I think average rent is probably $1000/month per person?
I also only received $5K/year. Still will definitely help a lot! I tried looking up info on how many awards they give out and average amount but couldn't find anything. Oh well.. Still grateful for what I got!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
Still can't believe it actually happened. Best of luck to everyone waiting for a final decision!!