-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Same thing happened to me. Do you guys think we really won't find out until late March or could it be early or mid March?
Unless I was just hearing what I wanted to hear, they said the first week of March on my interview day...and the email this morning made my heart drop.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless I was just hearing what I wanted to hear, they said the first week of March on my interview day...and the email this morning made my heart drop.
In the first round the contact verification email came ~4 weeks before the decision so I think now that points towards late March like last year. We'll see, I hope you are right.
From the timing of the first round emails, it was just about a month. I'm guessing it will be similar for the second round. Although I do wish they would hurry it up...Same thing happened to me. Do you guys think we really won't find out until late March or could it be early or mid March?
the email BU sent out to current students said late march as well
Thanks for letting us know!
*looks at calendarAm I too early for the late March panic?
It would appear so.
🙂
I don't think we have panicking scheduled until after the 14th. Though we may be able to pencil in early panicking for you.Am I too early for the late March panic?
Do you think it's too late for a letter of interest? I didn't send one earlier because what I would write about has sort of developed recently. Should I send? Or hold off and send it as a waitlist update if necessary?
The committee has already met to make their decisions, I would draft up the letter but hold off on sending it until you hear a response. If you're wait listed then send the letter, it will have a greater impact then in my opinion.
How do you know this?The committee has already met to make their decisions, I would draft up the letter but hold off on sending it until you hear a response. If you're wait listed then send the letter, it will have a greater impact then in my opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you know this?
I am a graduate student here and I know the committee reserved a bunch of rooms recently to talk about applicants.
I am a graduate student here and I know the committee reserved a bunch of rooms recently to talk about applicants.
And now we can start panicking.
And now we can start panicking.
Panic about what? Your applications are submitted and your interviews have been conducted, the admissions committee has probably already made their decisions at this point. I don't see the sense in getting worried or panicking. Just relax, we will all have plenty of time for freak out and panic over the course of medical school and our careers. These next few months are basically the last truly "free" months until retirement. Now that the interview season is over I am enjoying myself and relaxing.
You have done all you can at this point. Now it's time to reward your hard work over the past year, take a deep breath, and relax.
they haven't totally finished making decisions, they're interviewing people on Monday. It is late, but I don't see the harm in sending an update letter if you have one.
Apologies for the new account, as I mainly lurked throughout my application cycle last year. I just wanted to say that I am a medical student here, and I am certain that interviews are all complete. I don't have any information about when final decisions are made other than the late March release date, but can confirm that Doc Surge is correct about the flurry of admission committee meetings. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!
Interesting, so
Do you by any chance know when the meetings end based on the room booking?
Thanks a ton!
Apologies for the new account, as I mainly lurked throughout my application cycle last year. I just wanted to say that I am a medical student here, and I am certain that interviews are all complete. I don't have any information about when final decisions are made other than the late March release date, but can confirm that Doc Surge is correct about the flurry of admission committee meetings. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!
Do you by any chance know when the meetings end based on the room booking?
Thanks a ton!
I don't, as we were just told that there would be decreased study room availability on one day at the end of February, not when the meetings end or when decisions are made. Other than that, I guess all I can say is to hang in there! Waiting for decisions is tough. I tried to just check once a day to reduce stress, but frequently broke that rule.Interesting, so
Do you by any chance know when the meetings end based on the room booking?
Thanks a ton!
Apologies for the new account, as I mainly lurked throughout my application cycle last year. I just wanted to say that I am a medical student here, and I am certain that interviews are all complete. I don't have any information about when final decisions are made other than the late March release date, but can confirm that Doc Surge is correct about the flurry of admission committee meetings. Best of luck to everyone this cycle!
I help out with admissions and got an email asking for a couple lunch hosts/tour guides for a few more interviewees this Monday. I agree that they're probably mostly finished with their decisions, but I also know interviews aren't totally over. You're right that they finished all their previously scheduled ones 2-3 weeks ago though...dunno why they are having this extra day.
Affiliates of rich donors that they can't reject without a courtesy interview? 😉
Just kidding ... maybe.
Just kidding ... maybe.
Thanks for all of the info from those of you in Boston! I have an unrelated question that is definitely pre-mature at this point, but I'm still curious. How long does it take to get from the medical campus to the fancy gym on the university campus via the shuttle? Do a lot of medical students take advantage of this? Do the med students have time? I do a lot of physical activity (marathons, triathlons, rock climbing) and I think it will be important to my sanity to be able to maintain some of that activity during med school (even if I have to bump it down to half marathons 😉 ) Is there a culture of this at BUSM? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for all of the info from those of you in Boston! I have an unrelated question that is definitely pre-mature at this point, but I'm still curious. How long does it take to get from the medical campus to the fancy gym on the university campus via the shuttle? Do a lot of medical students take advantage of this? Do the med students have time? I do a lot of physical activity (marathons, triathlons, rock climbing) and I think it will be important to my sanity to be able to maintain some of that activity during med school (even if I have to bump it down to half marathons 😉 ) Is there a culture of this at BUSM? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
The medical campus and charles river campus have a shuttle that runs between them, on a good day you can make it from the medical campus to charles river campus gym in about 20-30 mins. The Charles river campus gym is a great facility with a lot of new equipment, the only downside is it is a very crowded facility and it often takes a lot of time to wait for machines and weights. During the first year of my masters program I went to the university gym on the charles river campus, but I got fed up with waiting for weights and machines so I joined a branch of the Boston Sports club which is right by my apartment.
Can anyone comment on how many first years live in the student housing vs students who chose to live elsewhere?
BU also has a triathlon team you can join and I know a bunch of med students who have ran in the boston marathon and others. You definitely have time for all that your first 2 years, but you may have to cut down a bit 3rd year :/ You can also run to the undergrad gym instead of dealing with the shuttle. I personally haven't gone much except for IM sports, so can't comment on the waiting time for machines and such.
As for housing -- I think they said about 70% of the M1 class chose to live in the MSR the past 2 years. Not sure of exact numbers, but definitely the majority.
As for housing -- I think they said about 70% of the M1 class chose to live in the MSR the past 2 years. Not sure of exact numbers, but definitely the majority.
I am a graduate student here and I know the committee reserved a bunch of rooms recently to talk about applicants.
sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "recently"? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "recently"? Thanks!
Don't answer. Its a Yankees fan. Just kidding.
sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "recently"? Thanks!
Within the last 2 weeks. Regardless of when they met and have made any decisions, I am sure the admissions committee will be getting back to everyone at the end of March.
anyone have access to the most recent post- interview statistics for BU??
Thanks
From the new USNWR, they accepted 447 out of 1072 interviewed candidates, with 165 enrolling.
hi there! i'm having a really hard time deciding between BU and Loyola, so was wondering if any current BU students can give some info of what they like/dislike about the program, living in Boston, etc.
i absolutely LOVED both schools when i went to interview there but unfortunately don't have the means to make it to both second looks, so any advice would help! thanks/
i absolutely LOVED both schools when i went to interview there but unfortunately don't have the means to make it to both second looks, so any advice would help! thanks/
I'm an applicant and from what I saw during my stay at my host is that the students were pretty close with each other, especially since most first years live in MSR. A lot of them hang out in the lounge and go out for fun after exams. On my interview date, like 30 students and a couple other interviewees were in the lounge drinking beers and watching the World Series game. It was pretty cool to see students like that and probably one of the reasons why I love BU so much.If there are any current students out there, how do you find BUSM?
Is there a decent social life in the first two years?
Do students get together a lot outside of the classroom?
Now just need that acceptance part ... lol...
If there are any current students out there, how do you find BUSM?
Is there a decent social life in the first two years?
Do students get together a lot outside of the classroom?
yup! people hang out together all the time & often go out on weekends to bars/movies/the gym/etc etc
I assume next week is when decisions will be released
From what I remember, Dr. Witzburg said it would be the end of March. I don't know if that means this week or next week.
Regardless, best wishes to you and the others who are waiting!
I'm so tired of waiting too. I think we might hear next Wednesday. I'm really hoping for good news.
I'm so tired of waiting too. I think we might hear next Wednesday. I'm really hoping for good news.
I know....at this point I just want news, dammit. Need to know if I'm moving or not 😛
Ok so I calculated wrong before. I don't think it'll be Wednesday. It most likely will be tomorrow. Aaanndd...panic sets in now 😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually looking back at the pattern over the past years, it seems the contact email always comes on Feb 27th, but decisions can come out essentially any day this week, although it will most likely be Monday or Tuesday. Ugh I hate weeks like this. I need to find something to distract me, because I can get pretty neurotic.
Yeah when you said Wednesday I was a little surprise, because I was thinkin tomorrow
God.... it is going to be one long-ass week. Good luck everyone!Expecting personalized calls/emails from interviewers through the week and generic notifications on Friday?

Happy Monday, dudes. Let the anxious thumb-twiddling begin.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K