-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
When did you get your II? That's the basis of getting an interview date, not your completion dateFor you guys who will be there this week, when were you complete? I was complete 7/23 AFAIK and the earliest available interview for me was the end of October 😱
I'll be there on Friday! Let us know how it goes, guys!! 🙂
Our interviews have been right next to each other! Will report back tomorrow evening! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our interviews have been right next to each other! Will report back tomorrow evening! 🙂
Yeah, they have hahahah! Good luck!!

Hey guys, I am working on my secondary. For the optional essay is it okay to discuss why I think I am a good match for this school? They focus on undeserved populations, which I discussed in my ps and activities. However, I never got the chance to directly connect this to BU. Should I write about this? Or not bother. I don't necessarily have ties to Boston but I really want to go here. All the experiences that I feel would make me a good doctor are in my ps, work/activities and disadvantaged statement. Thoughts?
Hey guys, I am working on my secondary. For the optional essay is it okay to discuss why I think I am a good match for this school? They focus on undeserved populations, which I discussed in my ps and activities. However, I never got the chance to directly connect this to BU. Should I write about this? Or not bother. I don't necessarily have ties to Boston but I really want to go here. All the experiences that I feel would make me a good doctor are in my ps, work/activities and disadvantaged statement. Thoughts?
That's what I wrote my optional essay about, and I have an invite. n=1 but make of that what you will.
That's what I wrote my optional essay about, and I have an invite. n=1 but make of that what you will.
Thanks! 👍
What did you guys think 10/2 interviewees? How was the interview, any ethical questions?
I thought the day went well. The dean is clearly awesome, he was very well-spoken and had a lot of great things to say. Students seemed happy and the campus is beautiful, a lot of it is being renovated. Lunch was tasty and students were helpful.
My interview itself was pretty painless, really more of a conversation about my activities - one of the questions could kind of be disguised as an ethical question, but it wasn't hypothetical (regarding working as a sexual health counselor) so it wasn't difficult.. Just had to talk about a situation that occurred. I heard other people had hypothetical ethical questions though. Everyone seemed to agree the interviews were low stress.
Also, something to note, the interviews are first thing in the morning after introductory comments, so you don't have to wait all day stressed out!
Thanks for the reassuring words! I'm excited about my interview here =]I thought the day went well. The dean is clearly awesome, he was very well-spoken and had a lot of great things to say. Students seemed happy and the campus is beautiful, a lot of it is being renovated. Lunch was tasty and students were helpful.
My interview itself was pretty painless, really more of a conversation about my activities - one of the questions could kind of be disguised as an ethical question, but it wasn't hypothetical (regarding working as a sexual health counselor) so it wasn't difficult.. Just had to talk about a situation that occurred. I heard other people had hypothetical ethical questions though. Everyone seemed to agree the interviews were low stress.
Also, something to note, the interviews are first thing in the morning after introductory comments, so you don't have to wait all day stressed out!
I thought the day went well. The dean is clearly awesome, he was very well-spoken and had a lot of great things to say. Students seemed happy and the campus is beautiful, a lot of it is being renovated. Lunch was tasty and students were helpful.
My interview itself was pretty painless, really more of a conversation about my activities - one of the questions could kind of be disguised as an ethical question, but it wasn't hypothetical (regarding working as a sexual health counselor) so it wasn't difficult.. Just had to talk about a situation that occurred. I heard other people had hypothetical ethical questions though. Everyone seemed to agree the interviews were low stress.
Also, something to note, the interviews are first thing in the morning after introductory comments, so you don't have to wait all day stressed out!
Thanks for sharing! I'm sitting in the airport right now waiting to fly to Boston 🙂
How did you get to the airport from BU? Taxi?
Take the T! Very easy train system. When you see the subway map, you'll see a square in the center. Anything towards that square is inbound, anything away from the square outbound. For BU I'm pretty positive you want the green line and the B train. You can check the website for the specific T stop. The airport is on the blue line with a dedicated stop.
Take the T! Very easy train system. When you see the subway map, you'll see a square in the center. Anything towards that square is inbound, anything away from the square outbound. For BU I'm pretty positive you want the green line and the B train. You can check the website for the specific T stop. The airport is on the blue line with a dedicated stop.
This is incorrect for the medical school! The undergraduate campus is served by the B line. The medical campus is only served by buses and would require multiple transfers to get to the airport. It's doable if you need to save money and are not pressed for time, but cab might ultimately be a better option.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is incorrect for the medical school! The undergraduate campus is served by the B line. The medical campus is only served by buses and would require multiple transfers to get to the airport. It's doable if you need to save money and are not pressed for time, but cab might ultimately be a better option.
This is also incorrect for the medical school. Although the silver (bus) line does go close to the medical school, the best way in my history of getting to BUMC is to take the orange line to the Mass Ave and simply walk down Mass Ave to the med school. It's not that bad of a walk. 10-15 minutes.
To get back to the airport simply walk from BUMC to the Mass Ave stop on the orange line. Take the orange line inbound and transfer at the state street station (It's free to do. You don't even have to leave the subway.) Take the blue line outbound to the airport station. At the airport station there is a free silver line shuttle to the terminals.
Wam Bam.
This is also incorrect for the medical school. Although the silver (bus) line does go close to the medical school, the best way in my history of getting to BUMC is to take the orange line to the Mass Ave and simply walk down Mass Ave to the med school. It's not that bad of a walk. 10-15 minutes.
To get back to the airport simply walk from BUMC to the Mass Ave stop on the orange line. Take the orange line inbound and transfer at the state street station (It's free to do. You don't even have to leave the subway.) Take the blue line outbound to the airport station. At the airport station there is a free silver line shuttle to the terminals.
Wam Bam.
In nice weather on a normal day walking from Mass Ave to BMC is fine. Hauling luggage, in interview attire, or in ****ty weather, I wouldn't want to walk Mass Ave to BMC. It's a straight shot on the 1 bus but that is, in fact, multiple transfers (1 to orange; orange to blue; blue to airport shuttle). Most efficient public transit is probably actually sliver line (4) to silver line (1), but that's 40 minutes at least if everything lines up right, which, it being the T, it won't.
So, I hardly see how my advice was incorrect.
Thanks for sharing! I'm sitting in the airport right now waiting to fly to Boston 🙂
How did you get to the airport from BU? Taxi?
Best of luck today! You're getting really crappy weather after a totally beautiful week, too bad!
Best of luck today! You're getting really crappy weather after a totally beautiful week, too bad!
Woooo what a long day! And just FYI for future interviewees: split a cab from BU to Logan and it worked out well 🙂
Last edited:
Does this school review apps in order?
I was marked complete 9/3 and my status is still marked "complete"
My friend who was complete on the same day got rejected a week ago.
My MCAT is significantly below avg for this school so I'm pretty sure that I would get rejected but I'm beginning to think they just skipped/forgot about me
I was marked complete 9/3 and my status is still marked "complete"
My friend who was complete on the same day got rejected a week ago.
My MCAT is significantly below avg for this school so I'm pretty sure that I would get rejected but I'm beginning to think they just skipped/forgot about me
Does this school review apps in order?
I was marked complete 9/3 and my status is still marked "complete"
My friend who was complete on the same day got rejected a week ago.
My MCAT is significantly below avg for this school so I'm pretty sure that I would get rejected but I'm beginning to think they just skipped/forgot about me
I was complete at the same time you were. Did you also get an email apologizing for the length of their review process?
Wow, they're up to 9/16 already? Better brace myself for my second rejection lol
I was complete at the same time you were. Did you also get an email apologizing for the length of their review process?
I did not get an email 🙁
they go in order. if they skipped over your date that means good things for you (for now). they didn't forget about you. just hold tight
Hopefully this is the case 🙂
II friday. complete 8/13, 3.72 GPA, 31 MCAT. Super happy. I got so excited, I scared my co-workers when I jumped out of my seat during training. whoops.
I got this email today too. Complete 9/6.Just got the "I'm sorry it's taken so long to review your application, we'll be done soon" email. Has anyone else gotten this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this since it's not too relevant right now. but in the future, when you're sending letters of interest do you upload it to your secondary application or email it? thanks in advance!!
complete since 8/28 without a 30 day email.
What does it all mean?
+1
Booked my train out for 4:15. This should work, right? Has anyone who has interviewed had their day run over?
We were out by 3 even though presentations ran over. Should be plenty of time. I would recommend going to the Back Bay stop (closer to campus than South Station)
Boston has been really quiet lately =/
Fingers crossed for a massive email blast.
Complete since 8/28 without a 30 day email.
What does it all mean?
I hope you don't speculate too much, but I was complete early to mid august, never got a 30 day email, but got an interview invite last week.
I hope you don't speculate too much, but I was complete early to mid august, never got a 30 day email, but got an interview invite last week.
Belated congratulations! I was mainly worried that they didn't bother sending out 30 days to people without interviews, or that my app had somehow found its way into a big crack on the adcom desk. Knowing that the lack of a 30 day email is not necessarily a bad thing is a bit of a relief.
So earliest dates start in January. Anyone know if BU offers dates based on priority of applicant? Or if they typically fill their class by January (i.e. I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot)?
You got an interview invite today and they already told you it would be for a wl spot?
You got an interview invite today and they already told you it would be for a wl spot?
No, that's what I'm asking. Some schools extend interviews for dates when the class is already going to be full. Not sure if this is the case for BU. Some schools also prioritize applicants, offering them interview dates in the immediate future, or on the other end of the scale, months away.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, that's what I'm asking. Some schools extend interviews for dates when the class is already going to be full. Not sure if this is the case for BU. Some schools also prioritize applicants, offering them interview dates in the immediate future, or on the other end of the scale, months away.
My assumption would be you would still be fighting for a spot in the class. BU either accepts or defers in January, so I'm guessing all the deferred people compete with the newly interview people once the March acceptance dates roll around.
No, that's what I'm asking. Some schools extend interviews for dates when the class is already going to be full. Not sure if this is the case for BU. Some schools also prioritize applicants, offering them interview dates in the immediate future, or on the other end of the scale, months away.
Pretty sure they go in order. I got an ii in late August or early September and my ii date is Nov 22. Makes sense that yours would be in January and of course they aren't interviewing you under the conditions you ask; they don't start offering until early January, which probably lends itself to a pretty fair competition among all interviewees, since there are roughly 1000 and about 500 of those will be accepted.👍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K