2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they call everyone who's accepted, or do some people just get a letter?
I think they try to call most people, but they might run out of time. I know other people have not gotten a call, but then got an acceptance letter in the mail so even if you didn't hear anything tonight you may get good news later this week! Good luck, and congrats to everyone who was accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!!! First Acceptance! I'm a reapp and am so stoked. No matter what happens now. I'm in. Whoop!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted!!! Best of luck to everyone else waiting on Stritch!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had the application has been reviewed status and then gotten an II?

I'm interested in Loyola, but I'm scared to live in Chicago.... crime rate in Maywood is super high... Can anyone say anything about the surrounding area? Is it bad/dangerous? :(

I'm interested in Loyola, but I'm scared to live in Chicago.... crime rate in Maywood is super high... Can anyone say anything about the surrounding area? Is it bad/dangerous? :(

Some students live in Maywood and they are just fine. Many live in Forest Park and Oak Park, and quite a few also live in downtown Chicago (or elsewhere). The hospital campus and med school is not really in what I would call downtown Maywood either. Probably the best way to decide for yourself (here or any other school) is to visit or come out for a second look if you need convincing ;)

Has anyone with a "file has been reviewed" status received an II?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been "under review" for over 4 months now; anyone know how receptive Loyola is to pre-interview updates/letters of interest?

I've been "under review" for over 4 months now; anyone know how receptive Loyola is to pre-interview updates/letters of interest?
They take it willingly!!! and they will respond with an email saying that "it's added to your file"!

Coming from someone who grew up in the "shady" part of Chicago, the Maywood/Forest Park/Oak Park area is not that bad! Keep in mind crime rate stats are based on population size so it would be higher in Chicagoland than, say Bradley, IL or elsewhere...
But as previously mentioned, come visit and get a feel for the area yourself :)

Most of Chicago is definitely not shady..but it definitely has the urban pros and cons. Just use common sense..and where the med schools are located is definitely not the shady the part.

I think the only "shady" areas are east of Pulaski and south of 40th street but you won't have any reason to go there unless you rent there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cyan summed things up nicely!

As a weekday interviewer, my day went from 8-4:30 and it was non-stop, but awesome!

Other than what Cyan mentioned, I'll throw in a couple tidbits:
Parking is $5, CASH, so best be prepared.
The interview day will be the chance to ask the students blunt questions you dont get in the MSAR or find elsewhere! From what I understood, they do not report back to admissions and they're super honest.
- Was Stritch your #1 choice? Why? Why not?
- How do you handle the tuition?
- How does the school help you if you're having a hard time?
- What happens if a student fails a course?
#3: My impression was they look at every interview from the last meeting up to the current meeting... BUT! Vivian Martinez will outright tell you when they'll be meeting to discuss your interview day, and they've been impressively good about keeping to that schedule.

Finally, my last gem: Get contact info and write "thank you" cards to your interviewers! A lot of people may not know this, but those often go into your file and can make you stand out from the competition. (Note: Ill be writing about this in my blog ;))

Bon chance, friend!

I agree with all of this! For Loyola in particular, they hold all thank you notes until after the committee meets, so your interviews/others won't actually know you sent a note when they are discussing your file (according to the admissions office), but it's a nice gesture regardless.

Good luck to everyone interviewing now or recently invited!

is it okay if I only took a semester of Organic Chem LAB? (there was no organic chem lab II offered at my institution)

and does thi mean I should check the box to request a waiver for my organic chem lab prerequisite?

Otherwise I'm just gonna withdraw my interview cus theres no point in going then.....?

When submitting updates via the portal, do you get any kind of confirmation that it has been added to your file? I tried to submit one yesterday, but after uploading it the page went blank and I have no idea if it worked or not.

When submitting updates via the portal, do you get any kind of confirmation that it has been added to your file? I tried to submit one yesterday, but after uploading it the page went blank and I have no idea if it worked or not.

Log into the portal and it should appear in the dated list underneath your letters of recommendation and supplemental application received dates. The last line of my list says "10/24/2013 Update Submitted: Blah blah." I'm not sure if this showed up immediately after I submitted or if it needed to be processed first, however.

is it okay if I only took a semester of Organic Chem LAB? (there was no organic chem lab II offered at my institution)

and does thi mean I should check the box to request a waiver for my organic chem lab prerequisite?

Otherwise I'm just gonna withdraw my interview cus theres no point in going then.....?
Maybe call and ask? I wouldn't cancel an interview without getting a definitive answer from someone in the admissions office first.

What box are you talking about checking? on what form?

I ask b/c my undergrad was the same way, so I only took the one semester, and I plan on going to my Loyola interview in a few weeks... I had never considered this a problem when I was applying there

I talked to the admissions coordinator and she said it was fine, and to just check the "I have not completed this prerequisite". Most schools like mine don't offer this kind of second organic lab course

Oh and I forgot, its the pre-requisite form u have to fill out on their website before the interview

Sorry for the triple post, but could anyone point me to the Curriculum Info for the MD degree on the stritch website? I looked really hard but couldn't find anything. If it system's based, and lecture heavy? I don't see any information about clinical exposure either, research opportunities, or global health programs/extracurriculars. If anyone could help me find this info on the website, it would be greatly appreciated

II this morning!!!!! Such a surprise after thinking they put me on hold Friday when my app status went from Under Review to Has Been Reviewed. Couldn't schedule it until Feb 25th though! Hope that's not too late in the season.

II this morning!!!!! Such a surprise after thinking they put me on hold Friday when my app status went from Under Review to Has Been Reviewed. Couldn't schedule it until Feb 25th though! Hope that's not too late in the season.
Congrats!!!! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II today as well. Complete mid-October, status went to has been reviewed earlier this month.

I got an II earlier this week for January. I'm interviewing for MD/PhD so I guess it's two days of interviewing for that. Can anybody shed a little light on how the MD/PhD interviews are for this school? Thanks in advance!

ChiTown got it going on! - Will Smith Circa "Miami"

is "has been reviewed" a sign of rejection? I read this page but am burnt out from reading sdn so i figured i would ask instead of look for a change.

edit: ppl seem to b getting interviews after getting it tho...im not sure

Last edited:
is "has been reviewed" a sign of rejection? I read this page but am burnt out from reading sdn so i figured i would ask instead of look for a change.

No, just take it as a regular hold. I believe some people in the thread received II after receiving this status, so there is a chance you may get an II.

So has anyone been reject pre interview? Or does everyone without an II get a hold?

Why do they hold applicants?

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!
Now that we're in 2014, I wanted to inquire about a few things:
1. When should acceptees expect financial aid info? Anything other than FAFSA need to be done?
2. Super stoked for 2nd look day, what does it encompass? I've heard a social gathering is typically planned for afterward...?

I'm really looking forward to meeting my future classmates!
And I continue to send good vibes to those still waiting for responses

Would it be worth sending an update/email of interest when all I have to say is a new volunteering activity? I am still working 2 jobs 60 hours a week so I'm keeping busy. Has anyone updated them with a positive response (II)?

Would it be worth sending an update/email of interest when all I have to say is a new volunteering activity? I am still working 2 jobs 60 hours a week so I'm keeping busy. Has anyone updated them with a positive response (II)?

Since Loyola only allows 3 updates, I would wait until you have more to update them on - make it count, ya know?

I sent an update/letter of interest with two new volunteer activities after being put on hold and received an II less than a week later.

I sent an update/letter of interest with two new volunteer activities after being put on hold and received an II less than a week later.

How long were you on Hold?

I won't have anything else to update them on though, I am banking on getting in this cycle (5 II with at least 1 more inc) and just working till that acceptance. I just have the 1 new volunteer activity.

Edit - moot point, just sent the update with a statement of interest.

Last edited:
There should be an adcom meeting tomorrow right?! I wonder if they will work, given the awful weather conditions!

There should be an adcom meeting tomorrow right?! I wonder if they will work, given the awful weather conditions!

Like, where they decide to invite for interview or not?

I'm not sure about that, but I know they will be making final decisions ( I interviewed early/mid December).

I just submitted my update. I really hope that I am not too late - I had to wait to find out my final grades before submitting an update letter. I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO LOYOLA, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHOW ME SOME LOVE!

Go Bears!

Is Loyola closed today due to weather?

At my interview they told me that the adcom would reach a decision today. Will that update of acceptance/rejection show up on my status page?

Tonight's the night. I'm nervous. Coming off three straight wait lists at other schools and a kind of meh interview here where the interviewer asked me a few borderline inappropriate religious questions... Can't help but feel pessimistic. I loved this school. :(

When do the calls typically go out? Post-7 pm?

Also forgot my thank you letters. Holidays were busy. Hope that doesn't hurt me.

Is Loyola closed today due to weather?
I received a response from an update I sent this morning, so I think they are working in admissions today! Fingers crossed for a phone call tonight!!!