2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete early August and got an interview today! Don't give up!
Hey, congratulations on the II. Were you "under review" the entire time?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody from the 11/18 group receive their acceptance letter yet?

Anybody from the 11/18 group receive their acceptance letter yet?

Nope. I don't think they've even mailed them out yet, though--I live close enough that if they had, I would have had it the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I don't think they've even mailed them out yet, though--I live close enough that if they had, I would have had it the next day.

Vivian Martinez said it will go out tomorrow (Tuesday) when she left me a voicemail on Monday. She said to expect it later this week or early next week. Maybe it's taking a bit going through their internal system, getting stamps etc.

I'm also expecting some info material from Emory and they said it was sent out on Tuesday as well and I haven't gotten it either. I guess this is just the norm with snail mail.

Vivian Martinez said it will go out tomorrow (Tuesday) when she left me a voicemail on Monday. She said to expect it later this week or early next week. Maybe it's taking a bit going through their internal system, getting stamps etc.

I'm also expecting some info material from Emory and they said it was sent out on Tuesday as well and I haven't gotten it either. I guess this is just the norm with snail mail.

Don't forget, it is the holidays! Mail gets so unpredictable this time of year...

Boo, after 3 months of "under review" I got the dreaded "had been reviewed" today :(

We could've been good together, Chicago

For those that are accepted, and mailed in to "hold a spot" in the class, did you guys get any kind of acknowledgement that you are currently holding a spot?

For those that are accepted, and mailed in to "hold a spot" in the class, did you guys get any kind of acknowledgement that you are currently holding a spot?
Nope, called them last week and was told that only you can give your spot away and that they have not received mine yet even though its been 2 weeks.

Nope, called them last week and was told that only you can give your spot away and that they have not received mine yet even though its been 2 weeks.

Thanks! I was accepted on 10/15, and received an acceptance letter ~ 10/20 and mailed it out pretty much right away. I never received any kind of acknowledgement so I don't know if they ever received it. Probably a good idea to give them a call?

Thanks! I was accepted on 10/15, and received an acceptance letter ~ 10/20 and mailed it out pretty much right away. I never received any kind of acknowledgement so I don't know if they ever received it. Probably a good idea to give them a call?

Same here. So I just called and verified that they got my declaration of intent. :)

II this morning by phone/voicemail! Complete 9/24. I will update with available interview dates as soon as I schedule one.

What an awesome thing to wake up to after a string of 4 rejections in the last 2 weeks.

II this morning by phone/voicemail! Complete 9/24. I will update with available interview dates as soon as I schedule one.

What an awesome thing to wake up to after a string of 4 rejections in the last 2 weeks.
Wow!!! That's awesome! Did you get any status change like from under review to has been reviewed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow!!! That's awesome! Did you get any status change like from under review to has been reviewed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I checked my status last night and it still said "under review".

I have been complete for months at Loyola (July 23) and finally just got put on hold. I must say that the relief from the stress of not knowing either way is actually liberating!

Just a quick update: I was scheduled for February 20th. That was the earliest date they had available.

I know this has been asked before, but after several weeks now...

has anyone with the status "has been reviewed" been offered an II?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, first post on SDN and just got my acceptance to Loyola in the mail today after thinking I had been passed on (didn't receive a call on the 18th). Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for this year's accepted students yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, first post on SDN and just got my acceptance to Loyola in the mail today after thinking I had been passed on (didn't receive a call on the 18th). Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for this year's accepted students yet?
Congrats! I also got my acceptance letter today :) There is a facebook group, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/542670629160088/

Got my acceptance letter today!!

Checked the envelope for the post-marked date: 11-25. That means that not only did it not get mailed until a week after the committee meeting, but also it must've gotten lost in the post office somewhere for it to have taken multiple days to then reach me (I currently live less than 20 miles away from Loyola).

In conclusion: those of you still waiting for your letter, be patient--it's coming! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got my acceptance letter today!!

Checked the envelope for the post-marked date: 11-25. That means that not only did it not get mailed until a week after the committee meeting, but also it must've gotten lost in the post office somewhere for it to have taken multiple days to then reach me (I currently live less than 20 miles away from Loyola).

In conclusion: those of you still waiting for your letter, be patient--it's coming! :)

Congratulations! When did you interview?

Congratulations! When did you interview?

Thanks! Interviewed 10/19 (very soon after the October committee meeting unfortunately for me), got the acceptance call 11/18. :)

I havent logged on in a while...but damn! ppl are already getting accepted?! lol
I'm from Texas and got an II this past Monday!
I was complete Oct 27th (that's when i submitted my secondary...late..I know!)
if it helps anyone I am 29 MCAT, 3.88 overall, 3.77 science (GPAs based on TMDSAS) and I have an MPH, and I'm Hispanic, 1st Generation college student...#There'sHopeForEveryone...did I just hashtag on here? Yeah...that just happened lol...

Congrats to all those who have received an acceptance!
Any suggestions for us who will interview! My interview will be late February...

Reactions: 1 users
How do OOS applications work? Sorry us Texans run our own show...So this school obviously has a pre-match date in october...do other OOS do the same?

How do OOS applications work? Sorry us Texans run our own show...So this school obviously has a pre-match date in october...do other OOS do the same?

Hey aggiea, Id love to answer your questions, but Im not quite sure what you're asking... "Match"-ing is for residency (the only way Ive heard it used) and the first regular admissions acceptance date for schools using AMCAS was October 15th (hence ppl being accepted already)... Since Stritch is private, they dont seem to have a preference for IS vs OOS, so it's basically same procedures for all applicants. Other schools may be different, so I suggest you check with those schools directly.
Best of luck during your cycle :)

Hey guys, I was accepted a while back and sent in the form to hold my seat, am I supposed to have received any contact since then? Has anyone else?

Does anyone know if the different loyolas are related? I've a family member who is faculty at another loyola. Think this will help at all?

Hey aggiea, Id love to answer your questions, but Im not quite sure what you're asking... "Match"-ing is for residency (the only way Ive heard it used) and the first regular admissions acceptance date for schools using AMCAS was October 15th (hence ppl being accepted already)... Since Stritch is private, they dont seem to have a preference for IS vs OOS, so it's basically same procedures for all applicants. Other schools may be different, so I suggest you check with those schools directly.
Best of luck during your cycle :)

thank you...in Texas we use pre-match to refer to the timeframe between oct 15 and dec 31st before we go into rolling admissions.

Nice Friday portrait btw!

thank you...in Texas we use pre-match to refer to the timeframe between oct 15 and dec 31st before we go into rolling admissions.

Nice Friday portrait btw!

Ah ic! State of Texas has it's own system outside of AMCAS!

And thx! It's one of my fave paintings.

Hey guys, I was accepted a while back and sent in the form to hold my seat, am I supposed to have received any contact since then? Has anyone else?

From what I've read, no one received follow-up with their DOI... I just called to make sure they got it ;)

Does anyone know if the different loyolas are related? I've a family member who is faculty at another loyola. Think this will help at all?

As an undergrad at Loyola Chicago, there are very few connections with other Loyola schools across the US. And I would assume your family member is at an undergrad Loyola institution? Unfortunately, unless it's Loyola Chicago, I would guess that the connection won't help much. Sorry about that :(

checked my status today to see i got the hold status...

I was told the committee would meet 12/9... should be hearing back from them shortly thereafter.. *fingers crossed*

Hey guys, I interview here tomorrow! Super excited! A few things, though.

1) Any tips for the interviews? I've heard they're pretty conversational. An hour each, or combined for an hour? Something like that.
2) How long is the interview day? The information they gave us left it pretty open.
3) For the 12/9 committee meeting, will the 12/6 interview be reviewed? I know you guys don't necessarily know for sure, but did anyone who interviewed right before the last decision date get reviewed then? Or are you guys in the 12/9 review?

Hey guys, I interview here tomorrow! Super excited! A few things, though.

1) Any tips for the interviews? I've heard they're pretty conversational. An hour each, or combined for an hour? Something like that.
2) How long is the interview day? The information they gave us left it pretty open.
3) For the 12/9 committee meeting, will the 12/6 interview be reviewed? I know you guys don't necessarily know for sure, but did anyone who interviewed right before the last decision date get reviewed then? Or are you guys in the 12/9 review?

Good luck!! I'm very biased, but Loyola is awesome (I'm 98% sure I'll be there next fall) and I didn't think the interview day was too bad. =)

1) Very conversational!! Both are an hour (you will cover a lot of ground haha), and you may not have much of a break in between them (I didn't, but I interviewed on a Saturday so all the interviews were in the school of medicine)...the lack of a break and the length of the interviews is the hardest part--it became exhausting after awhile not because things weren't conversational (they were very much so for me) but because I basically had a very intellectual conversation for 2 hours straight (I think weekday interviews are more spread out during the day, though).

Some tips: know very well why Loyola (as someone mentioned before in this thread, everyone from the dean to your interviewers will ask you this and want a good answer), know very well your motivation for medicine and what the path entails (including what drawbacks/what scares you about the path/medicine), know your primary/secondary well (my interviewers had taken detailed notes on my app and asked me very specific questions based on it), be about to talk about at least one medical ethical scenario (I got to pick mine)...those are the big ones. They ask lots of follow-up questions, too, but I never felt like I was being grilled--it's more like a conversation with a fellow classmate about your career plans (and speaking of, I had a student interviewer for one of my interviews. You may or may not also have a student interviewer...some people have 2 faculty members, some like me have 1 faculty member and 1 student).

2) Mine was only from 8am-1pm, but again, I interviewed on a Saturday. There was no downtime in there, however (whereas I'm sure there is during the week), so I estimate the day being *at least* 5 hours...it'll depend on when your interviews are.

Things my interview day included: intro by the dean about loyola, the 2 interviews, lunch, a tour, and at the end we filled out some surveys on the day/loyola's app. I was surprised there was no financial aid session or curriculum session, but that's just because so many other schools I visited had them (you do get a folder with info about loyola in it, though).

Oh and btw: BRING A COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT IF YOU HAVE ONE AVAILABLE. They have you fill out detailed forms about coursework and a transcript makes this so much easier!

3) Not sure. I only know I interviewed very soon after an October committee meeting, and then had to wait a month for the next one lol. It was so worth it, though! Best phone call I hardly remember ever.

Again, good luck! :)

Last edited:
Cyan summed things up nicely!

As a weekday interviewer, my day went from 8-4:30 and it was non-stop, but awesome!

Other than what Cyan mentioned, I'll throw in a couple tidbits:
Parking is $5, CASH, so best be prepared.
The interview day will be the chance to ask the students blunt questions you dont get in the MSAR or find elsewhere! From what I understood, they do not report back to admissions and they're super honest.
- Was Stritch your #1 choice? Why? Why not?
- How do you handle the tuition?
- How does the school help you if you're having a hard time?
- What happens if a student fails a course?
#3: My impression was they look at every interview from the last meeting up to the current meeting... BUT! Vivian Martinez will outright tell you when they'll be meeting to discuss your interview day, and they've been impressively good about keeping to that schedule.

Finally, my last gem: Get contact info and write "thank you" cards to your interviewers! A lot of people may not know this, but those often go into your file and can make you stand out from the competition. (Note: Ill be writing about this in my blog ;))

Bon chance, friend!

Wow, I was blown away by the interview day here. Nicest body of students, staff, and other interviewees I've come across! Awesome. Now onto waiting.

For anyone who is interviewing soon, next review day is 1/6.

Hello All!

I know someone in the past has asked this before, but I would like to know what Stritch's curriculum is like. I cant find it anywhere online nor on the website...
Can someone please refer me to where I could see a breakdown of the curriculum per academic year?
Thanks!

Hello All!

I know someone in the past has asked this before, but I would like to know what Stritch's curriculum is like. I cant find it anywhere online nor on the website...
Can someone please refer me to where I could see a breakdown of the curriculum per academic year?
Thanks!

This may help:
http://www.stritch.luc.edu/calendars

Otherwise, I believe someone on last year's thread (effen, perhaps) created a visual of how the classes are broken down.

It's 12/9. Decisions are coming out today. Looks like they'll come after 6pm central time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Good luck all.

It's 12/9. Decisions are coming out today. Looks like they'll come after 6pm central time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Good luck all.
Where do you get that time from ?

Just got the call at 6:45 central time. Accepted!

Accepted!!!! Got the call about 20 minutes ago while I was walking out of the grocery store!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those who've been accepted!! Still no call for me.. :/

Do they call everyone who's accepted, or do some people just get a letter?