2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry. Good luck elsewhere.
Thanks! I didn't have much hope left since I was under review so long ago. Just another thread I can stop following now ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected today. Complete 7/19. Their e-mail is pretty insulting...

Couldn't agree more! Im really striking out with Michigan schools considering I'm in state. Luckily I've had success elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the chance of getting an II is if I were placed on hold ?

Hey guys, For those who have interviewed or have been invited for an interview... how did you take the required 2"x3" wallet size photo? Did you get it done professionally or you took the photo yourself and cropped it manually to 2"x3"? Thanks! :)
I was not interviewed, but I had to submit plenty of photos for secondaries... just take it yourself (i.e., have someone you know take a picture of you). Wear a nice shirt, get a nice backdrop in nice lighting, and crop it in as a headshot. A perk of taking it yourself means you can easily re-edit the image, as some schools want 2x3 and some want 3x3.

Last edited:
Hey guys, For those who have interviewed or have been invited for an interview... how did you take the required 2"x3" wallet size photo? Did you get it done professionally or you took the photo yourself and cropped it manually to 2"x3"? Thanks! :)

Just take a digital, and crop it. I did a casual photo, then thought better of it, and retook a photo with suit and tie. Cheers

Has anyone else waited over a month after their interview to hear back?

Hello,

First time to write on here, and yes I've been waiting for about a month now post-interview.

Anybody heard back in the past two weeks (including last night) ?!

Interviewed 11/1 and haven't heard anything yet. I'm kind of nervous about the whole thing since I've watched 2 admission decision dates come and go since my interview. Anyone else in the same boat??

Have you heard back yet?

Have you heard back yet?

Yes, I received a call from Dr. Maurer on the 10th, sorry I didn't check back it to give an update! From my personal experience you're still in the running if you haven't heard anything. I am very excited about my acceptance and plan on matriculating here. I quit looking at their admissions announcement dates because I was getting way too stressed out waiting to hear back, so it was a great surprise when I got the call. Best wishes to you

Reactions: 1 users

I cropped a recent photo of me at an outdoor wedding

Yes, I received a call from Dr. Maurer on the 10th, sorry I didn't check back it to give an update! From my personal experience you're still in the running if you haven't heard anything. I am very excited about my acceptance and plan on matriculating here. I quit looking at their admissions announcement dates because I was getting way too stressed out waiting to hear back, so it was a great surprise when I got the call. Best wishes to you

Do you mind if I ask what your stats were? I'm getting really anxious about the fact that I now have to wait until at least mid-January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I agree with the above post. I also was rejected Tuesday, and was instate as well. 36-38 MCAT, and a 3.6-3.8 GPA, both science and regular. Good luck to the rest of you guys with your cycle

Anyone else placed on pre-interview hold ? Any insight of how likely it is to get an II ?

Ahhhh the anxiety!!! :X3: "Lucky" us who interviewed during the holidays... it adds this much waiting!!

Well just got a rejection... Sigh.
Aw I am sorry :( But hey... chin up... you will end up where you were meant to, and you will love it ;) Good luck to you and all of those who got a rejection. Its part of the process. We will be Class 2018 one way or another!!! :cat:

Hey everyone, Canadian applicant here. I was placed on hold back in October, and I still haven't heard anything. I was really keen on Michigan and I interviewed at Wayne (waitlisted). My grades from this past semester are pretty ballin (4.0), do you think it would be a good idea to send in a letter of intent and an updated transcript? If so, who should I send it to?

Hey everyone, Canadian applicant here. I was placed on hold back in October, and I still haven't heard anything. I was really keen on Michigan and I interviewed at Wayne (waitlisted). My grades from this past semester are pretty ballin (4.0), do you think it would be a good idea to send in a letter of intent and an updated transcript? If so, who should I send it to?
Congrats!!! You def should. I always sent my updates to [email protected] or Brian Ulrich <[email protected]>. I believe he is still the guy you want to talk to.
Good luck!!

II today. Didn't get placed on hold prior. Scheduled for March

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't think they allowed updates..at least that is what they told me on the phone. But if it wasn't rejected....maybe a good idea?

You know....now that you mentioned the no updates, that might be:oops:. I set updates last cycle, so I could be confusing with another school. Just shoot Brian am email, he is THE best. Sorry about the confusion and good luck! :)

I do not have a good camera but a friend took a really good photo of me on vacation. I wasn't in a suit, more business casual. Then I cropped it.

So I got referred to the ABLE program :unsure: ... c&sGPA 3.2, MCAT 28. Anyone know anything about it? I realize I'm not guaranteed admission to it or anything but I might as well figure out if I want to consider it as an option over the DO acceptance I've already received.

As a first year student at MSUCHM who knows most of the ABLE students, this is definitely a great opportunity for you! It's essentially a 5 year program but the best thing about it is that you take Anatomy during your ABLE year with easier upper level science classes (like a physio class or something). Trust me anatomy is super hard here when trying to juggle it with first year classes biochem, physio and genetics. You would also take neuro anatomy with the first year med students in the winter so essentially you take all the hardest first year classes with an easier workload so that you will be cruising for first year while everyone sweats. I would do ABLE over DO in a heart beat

Hey @bikekp, I sent them my updated info and they sent a response email that told me that they don't add this new information to your application UNLESS you've already interviewed. So if you haven't interviewed there already, then they won't add it to your application.

Hey @bikekp, I sent them my updated info and they sent a response email that told me that they don't add this new information to your application UNLESS you've already interviewed. So if you haven't interviewed there already, then they won't add it to your application.
Yeah...I sent it and got that e-mail too. But they were very nice about it.

MSU CHM doesn't require parental financial aid info on the FAFSA, but other schools I'm considering do. Does anyone know how much including my parents' info would jeopardize my chances of receiving institutional aid from MSU?

I'm a nontraditional student who will be paying for this completely on my own, so it's frustrating that I need to include my parents' info and that it could reduce my chances of institutional aid or scholarships. My parents have a combined annual income of between $100k and $200k. Any advice from anyone would be very much appreciated!

Another decision date is passing and I'm still waiting on a response 2.5 months post-interview . . .

Another decision date is passing and I'm still waiting on a response 2.5 months post-interview . . .
I would call them. During my interview they said after two months to give them a call if we don't hear anything. Good luck!

I would call them. During my interview they said after two months to give them a call if we don't hear anything. Good luck!

I've emailed and called and they didn't really say anything to reassure me other than they're backlogged and I just need to keep waiting.

I've emailed and called and they didn't really say anything to reassure me other than they're backlogged and I just need to keep waiting.
That really sucks! I had my interview on 11/22 and was hoping to hear something this month :( well... I guess we have to hang in there buddy. :-/

If you have been put on hold, do they send you an email or update your application? I was sent for preliminary review in September, and therefore assume I am currently on hold. But I never had an update on my application or by email...is that normal?

If you have been put on hold, do they send you an email or update your application? I was sent for preliminary review in September, and therefore assume I am currently on hold. But I never had an update on my application or by email...is that normal?

+1. I'm in the same boat and would also like to know.

EDIT: Made a mistake. Wrong forum haha...

Last edited:
Anyone have any preference for whether they're placed at Grand Rapids or East Lansing?

rejection today. not sure if they just got around to my application, or if I was on hold and they came back to it, but same result.

As a first year student at MSUCHM who knows most of the ABLE students, this is definitely a great opportunity for you! It's essentially a 5 year program but the best thing about it is that you take Anatomy during your ABLE year with easier upper level science classes (like a physio class or something). Trust me anatomy is super hard here when trying to juggle it with first year classes biochem, physio and genetics. You would also take neuro anatomy with the first year med students in the winter so essentially you take all the hardest first year classes with an easier workload so that you will be cruising for first year while everyone sweats. I would do ABLE over DO in a heart beat

damn. is it a bad idea to request to be considered for ABLE? i was hoping to get an invite to ABLE but i guess i am out of state that hurt

I don't know if that link will work, just search for "MSU CHM class of 2018" if it doesn't

Same, we didn't want to go there anyways :p

:thumbup:

Also got the axe. Complete Sept 21, nice to finally be hearing back from them. Glad to know I'm this much closer to going to the school I'm meant to be at!