2013-2014 Ohio State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, are you guys regular MD? or MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite! 3.85 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 38, OOS.

Last edited:
Congrats to those with II! When did you guys submit your secondaries? Also, did anybody get a "complete" email? I'm having a hard time navigating their portal.. Not sure if they have my rec letters.

same boat as you, it clearly says my secondary is submitted, but it isn't clear in letters. When I click the button for more info it goes to a 404 error.

Also curious about the invitees, when did you all submit your secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those with II! When did you guys submit your secondaries? Also, did anybody get a "complete" email? I'm having a hard time navigating their portal.. Not sure if they have my rec letters.

Cograts on the invites! Mind sharing your stats?

same boat as you, it clearly says my secondary is submitted, but it isn't clear in letters. When I click the button for more info it goes to a 404 error.

I think I submitted the secondary on July 9th.

Applying regular MD, 3.85, 3.8 science, 34, OOS.

Never received a completion email, actually thought the email this morning was going to be a completion email (pleasantly surprised with the interview invite!)

Thanks buddy, I'll look for something in a week. Submitted yesterday, 3.6/38/is

II today too for Sept. 4th!

3.98 cGPA/sGPA 37 MCAT, IS

I submitted on Sunday, July 7th and it only said "AMCAS application received" "secondary application: received." I never got a complete email and it also gave me a 404 error when I clicked on the rec. letters link.

interview invite this morning via email status change.
OOS 33 MCAT 3.74 overall & science
This is my second time interviewing there and I really would love to attend!! The interview is so amazing, wish I had done the anatomy class in undergrad, looks like ill have to take it online...

They must either monitor this thread or have some killer qa because that 404 error is gone, and now has a very informative page on letters.

Another incoming M1 here to answer any questions about this school or the application cycle. I also went here for undergrad, so I am quite familiar with OSU and Columbus. Congrats to everyone with invites!

Yes, I know. First post, but long time lurker.

Members don't see this ad :)
They must either monitor this thread or have some killer qa because that 404 error is gone, and now has a very informative page on letters.

hmmmm I don't see this! Are you clicking on "show status of required items?"

EDIT: Wowwwwww. I'm slow. I just found the status website… Let's pretend that didn't happen.

Submitted the secondary app a couple of days ago, but status still says "Awaiting Submission of Secondary application." Anyone else have this problem?

Congrats on the invites, btw.

congrats on the invites, from the numbers I've seen, you guys will do well.

Submitted my secondary on Monday. I realize Ohio has two websites, the applicant status page and the original website we filled out the secondary.

On the website where we filled out the secondary, I click on application status and it says... Status - Finish App.

However on the medSTAR website it says ... Secondary application received.

I'm just wondering about the Finish App status. Does anyone else that is complete say this? Will either page ever say complete?

Thanks!

Submitted my secondary on Monday. I realize Ohio has two websites, the applicant status page and the original website we filled out the secondary.

On the website where we filled out the secondary, I click on application status and it says... Status - Finish App.

However on the medSTAR website it says ... Secondary application received.

I'm just wondering about the Finish App status. Does anyone else that is complete say this? Will either page ever say complete?

Thanks!

Mine won't even let me log into medSTAR, it keeps saying I have the wrong username/password. But on my original secondary page it say Status - Application Submitted

Hmm, so my status on medSTAR says that they've received my AMCAS primary, and that they're awaiting submission of my secondary. I just submitted my secondary last night and on my actual secondary app, it says "secondary submitted" Is the status message I see on medSTAR just because they haven't processed my secondary yet?

EDIT: Just saw this on the initial secondary email they sent us: "Your supplemental application will be processed within three to five days of submission"
Reading comprehension fail on my part, haha

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, I'll look for something in a week. Submitted yesterday, 3.6/38/is

II this morning via status change email! Complete about a week ago. First interview, so psyched, I was starting to think my recommenders screwed me or that maybe my P.S. was unpalatable...

II! 3.9/35, instate. Just submitted my secondary on Tuesday so this was a huge surprise! Osu is my top choice, so excited!

Mine won't even let me log into medSTAR, it keeps saying I have the wrong username/password. But on my original secondary page it say Status - Application Submitted

Username is your AMCAS ID and password is some crazy combination that they describe in one of the emails. Something like [first letter of first name][last four numbers of AMCAS ID][last letter of last name][first two numbers of AMCAS ID]. (Check the email to verify though.) Is that what you were using? It's not the same thing you used to log into the secondary.

Yeah it is the first letter of your first name, last 4 of your AMCAS ID, last letter of your last name, and the first 2 of your AMCAS ID

Username is your AMCAS ID and password is some crazy combination that they describe in one of the emails. Something like [first letter of first name][last four numbers of AMCAS ID][last letter of last name][first two numbers of AMCAS ID]. (Check the email to verify though.) Is that what you were using? It's not the same thing you used to log into the secondary.

Wow, I have no idea how I missed that but it worked. Thanks!

Is it worth me throwing an app at OSU? 3.8/34/OOS? I'm from Western PA, and frankly, OSU "feels" much more like an instate school to me than PSU or any of the Philly schools.

I am an undergrad here. Will apply the cycle after next. Soooooo.... I have no professional research experience, but I have worked my entire college carreer to pay for school and expenses considering that my folks cant help much. My dream is to go to OSU. My GPA is a 3.71 not sure on the science gpa at the moment, but I will have some awesome letters I believe and I have been involved in alot of groups, volunteering is nailed and I also created my own group which I am the president of here. So sorry for being so long, but what do you guys think I need to get on my MCAT to even be considered here for those of you who can help. And would you give me any suggestions for helping improve my app. Money is tight so I always have to work which is keeping me from getting involved in research because I need time for school too.

Do I even have a shot? Or should I just quit trying and move on to something else?...

Does anybody know about the combined MD/MPH program? The website seems to indicate you apply to both separately, but could I wait and apply for the MPH later if I was accepted to the MD program?

Anyone received a complete notification from here? I submitted on 7/8 and my letters went through at most other schools 7/16, this is the only one I'm waiting to be complete at

Anyone received a complete notification from here? I submitted on 7/8 and my letters went through at most other schools 7/16, this is the only one I'm waiting to be complete at

I'm fairly certain they don't send complete emails, just emails to let you know when your status changes

Does anyone know if you ask to reschedule your interview if you get a choice of the date, or if the admissions office just does it for you?

Also, can anyone comment on whether OSU gives and in-state tuition scholarships or anything like that to help out OOS matriculants? Thanks.

Does anyone know if you ask to reschedule your interview if you get a choice of the date, or if the admissions office just does it for you?

Also, can anyone comment on whether OSU gives and in-state tuition scholarships or anything like that to help out OOS matriculants? Thanks.

I don't know about the interview rescheduling but as for your second question, I'm pretty sure you can get in state tuition after your first year

I don't know about the interview rescheduling but as for your second question, I'm pretty sure you can get in state tuition after your first year

Well that's pretty neat. Does anyone pay OOS tuition the last 3 years then?

Well that's pretty neat. Does anyone pay OOS tuition the last 3 years then?

There are guidelines that you must follow in order to qualify for in-state tuition. For most they are quite easy but others they can be rather challenging (e.g., if you're trying to support a family while in school). If you're reckless with your finances, your residency application may be denied (I know members of the class of 2015 that this happened to). Most OOS students that are a part of the class of 2016 are presently applying for residency reclassification - mine was just approved the other day.

Did anyone else have a problem with their text after submitting? I hit print preview and everything looked fine, but when I submitted my application my apostrophe's and dashes became question marks. Should I call the admissions office? Thanks guys and gals!

Happened to me. First sentence: "Ohio State?s"

I got an II, I wouldn't worry about it.

Same here. Applying this cycle. Can't bother stressing about it.

Did anyone else have a problem with their text after submitting? I hit print preview and everything looked fine, but when I submitted my application my apostrophe's and dashes became question marks. Should I call the admissions office? Thanks guys and gals!

I called them about this and they said that they (and the admissions committee) are aware of the problem, so I wouldn't worry about it!

This happened to me last year as well and I start classes here in about 2 weeks. No worries!

For others: IIRC, you can avoid this by pasting your essays into Notepad (or something to make it plaintext), then pasting that into the OSU prompt.

Secondary is in! Wish I had a better chance here, this is my overall top choice :(. Good luck to all who are applying!

question: I received an email to set up an osu id (last name and a number), then I changed my password. I figured out how to long into MedStar as well but where do I get the secondary application?

Secondary is in! Wish I had a better chance here, this is my overall top choice :(. Good luck to all who are applying!

did they send you another email with a direct link to the secondary application after they sent you an email to set-up/activate your OSU id?

did they send you another email with a direct link to the secondary application after they sent you an email to set-up/activate your OSU id?

Yes! I got a second email with instructions. First email told me to set up my account and the second was a link to the secondary, about a week or so later.

A third email with an invite would be nice..

Did you guys have delays in getting the secondary? Verified 10 days ago but still no secondary email.