2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that crushes my hopes of an interview. Complete in September with same MCAT but an underdog GPA.

Don't be discouraged. I got an interview and am currently wait listed with a 29 MCAT and a 3.73 GPA. I fully believe my volunteering work got me my interview, as that is one of their big points of emphasis. I am in-state though.
 
Don't be discouraged. I got an interview and am currently wait listed with a 29 MCAT and a 3.73 GPA. I fully believe my volunteering work got me my interview, as that is one of their big points of emphasis. I am in-state though.

I think their secondary was a bit over the top as far as "discuss your volunteer work" - it almost seemed like it was asking the applicant to interrelate the experiences in under 1000 characters. REDONKULOUS.
 
Well that crushes my hopes of an interview. Complete in September with same MCAT but an underdog GPA.

I got in with a GPA under 3.2, given I had a good post-bacc GPA my overall was still very low. Rush definitely seems more holistic in their review so keep your head up and just hope for the best.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got in with a GPA under 3.2, given I had a good post-bacc GPA my overall was still very low. Rush definitely seems more holistic in their review so keep your head up and just hope for the best.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I am curious -- did you have a few really bad years in undergrad, followed by a few good years? Or was your overall trend at around 3.2?
 
I got in with a GPA under 3.2, given I had a good post-bacc GPA my overall was still very low. Rush definitely seems more holistic in their review so keep your head up and just hope for the best.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

undergrad GPA 3.3 (science and overall), 30 MCAT, 3.85 graduate GPA in a hard science masters.
Too bad research isn't a solid thing for the app here - I would love to do research in their DEPARTMENT OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE - I have literally never heard of a hospital having this. Awesome.
 
I am curious -- did you have a few really bad years in undergrad, followed by a few good years? Or was your overall trend at around 3.2?

My undergrad was overall ~3.0, general upward trend with a dip junior year. 45+ units of post-bacc >3.8 GPA, 36 MCAT, lot of volunteering, interesting ECs, interesting story in PS.
 
I guess no news is good news here.

Agreed!

Although now I'm wondering if I accidentally deleted an email from Rush and they already rejected me--Certiphi sent me a "reminder" email about the background check thing this week...and I don't even remember getting a first email from them (I must've deleted it apparently??).

*anxiously waits for news*
 
Agreed!

Although now I'm wondering if I accidentally deleted an email from Rush and they already rejected me--Certiphi sent me a "reminder" email about the background check thing this week...and I don't even remember getting a first email from them (I must've deleted it apparently??).

*anxiously waits for news*
I think you can check communication status on their website. 🙂
 
Agreed!

Although now I'm wondering if I accidentally deleted an email from Rush and they already rejected me--Certiphi sent me a "reminder" email about the background check thing this week...and I don't even remember getting a first email from them (I must've deleted it apparently??).

*anxiously waits for news*
At the expense of being Captain Obvious here, maybe the certiphi email went to your spam folder? 🙂
 
I think you can check communication status on their website. 🙂

Ahh I forgot about that feature!! Just went to check and all I have is:

7/2013 - Thank you for submitting the Supplemental Application
7/2013 - Supplemental Application Invitation

So I guess no rejection for me (yet). Thanks!

At the expense of being Captain Obvious here, maybe the certiphi email went to your spam folder? 🙂

No worries! To be honest, I regularly delete my spam folder with only a cursory glance at the contents--so your thought is very probable. The reminder email luckily went to my inbox, haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am IS! Dates are for Wednesdays in february

Congrats!!

That also gives me some hope, since I am also IS & have not been rejected yet (have been complete since July).

How many interview dates were open? Don't want to get my hopes up too much haha.
 
Does anyone know what the grants and scholarships are like coming out of Rush? Do they have many based on need?
 
I remember reading somewhere that Rush doesn't start orientation/class until September. But last year (2012), it seems they started early August. Anyone have any idea when they might start this upcoming year?
 
Unexpected Interview Invitation just a little while ago! Never been to Chicago before, so I'm rather excited!

OOS, 3.6, 36
I was complete in late August.

Interview dates were available for each Wednesday in the month of February, and that was it. By the time I scheduled, no spots were left for next Wednesday, but the 12th, 19th, and 26th were still open.
 
I know Rush doesn't accept pre-interview LOIs/update letters, but does anyone know if they accept transcript updates?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone comment on the cost of housing for most students at Rush? Assuming not living in university housing.
 
Are our chances lower if we r interviewing this late in the season because I assume the class is already almost filled?
 
I know Rush doesn't accept pre-interview LOIs/update letters, but does anyone know if they accept transcript updates?

They don't. I went ahead and sent a transcript update and received this e-mail response "Thank you for applying to Rush Medical College. While we appreciate your taking the time to provide us with additional information, we do not process activity or grade updates."
 
Are our chances lower if we r interviewing this late in the season because I assume the class is already almost filled?
Nope. They keep space open all the way through the interviewing season. You don't interview for waitlist spots. (Or at least this is how it was last year for us--I haven't heard of any changes)