You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply.
3. Identify research in which you have been involved:
4. Identify your healthcare-related experience(s):
Question 1 is the only real essay, the rest are checking boxes that apply.
Grrr...
On the strength of this post and my blind trust in SDN, I decided to add Rush to my list. Just one short essay that 20 other schools requested, Easy.
Then this beast drops down if you've had the misfortune of being involved in community service. No good deed goes unpunished...
2b. Based on these experiences, please describe what you learned through your involvement, the attributes you would bring to Rush Medical College, and the impact you would have on the greater Rush Community (2000 characters).
Now, waste $35 or half a day writing...?
number 1 is an essay, and number 2 has a dropdown once you check stuff and that leads to 2b which is another essay
just search a little next time
I appreciate your response!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M1 here, just thought I'd share the news that we were told a gym is in the works and should be ready this winter.
M1 here, just thought I'd share the news that we were told a gym is in the works and should be ready this winter.
That's awesome! Glad to hear it.
If I may ask, what's the housing situation like around Rush?
is employment as a lab assistant a healthcare related job or do they mean only clinical jobs
Secondary site says it will be down from 1-130 PM central time today. Think this is for IIs?
Last edited:
a
Last edited:
Secondary site says it will be down from 1-130 PM central time today. Think this is for IIs?
Was hoping so, but the site was never down for me and still no interview tab. Anyone else have any changes?
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply.
3. Identify research in which you have been involved:
4. Identify your healthcare-related experience(s):
Question 1 is the only real essay, the rest are checking boxes that apply.
What are the character limits for describing your experiences in Questions 3 and 4? Thanks for your help!
Questions 3 and 4 do not allow for a description, they just ask you to indicate what you have done (by checking boxes) and enter the duration.What are the character limits for describing your experiences in Questions 3 and 4? Thanks for your help!
Was hoping so, but the site was never down for me and still no interview tab. Anyone else have any changes?
Maybe they mean 1-130 AM
Thanks for the help info!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did, but I didn't average it with my summer work hours it asked only about the academic year, excluding summers. I sent them an email about it though.
Did you ever get a response to the part-time thing? I worked less than 20 hours/week, but I went ahead and checked the part-time box so I could submit.
I am struggling mightily with the "What did you learn, what attributes will you bring, what will be your impact on Rush Community" question. Does anybody have any advice?
I read into this as a combination of a diversity and a why us? question.
Only check the box if you worked 20 hours each week during school.
Last edited:
I read into this as a combination of a diversity and a why us? question.
This essay required way too much brevity, to the point that it wasn't even insightful, I felt.
That's awesome! Glad to hear it.
If I may ask, what's the housing situation like around Rush?
I'll chime in here. Rush offers on campus housing in an apt complex (Center Court Gardens) across from the medical center. You can choose studio, 1 bd, or 2 bd. Rush's on campus housing website has more detailed information including the rent, some pictures, FQAs, etc. I live in a 2 bd and it's huge. Free internet, laundry, water, sewer, and 1 free parking per apt. It's really convenient and many M1s live here.
The nearby area also has independent condos and apts that are about equally close to school as CCG.
Some of my classmates live in Tri-City, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, and Oak Park, which are all great areas to live in if you don't mind the commute.
Hope that helps. =)
is employment as a lab assistant a healthcare related job or do they mean only clinical jobs
health care is not medical research.
I emailed them and they said to only check it if you worked 20 hours during school. I worked 16 during school and 30 to 40 over break but they said to not check the box.
So if you work less than 20 hours/week, you technically weren't employed?

anyone know when rush starts sending out II's?
alright maybe someone here can help me with my situation: I'm extremely interested in this school bc my girlfriend lives in chicago and i really love the city and want to live there there. Is there any way for me to communicate this information to the school? I feel like it would increase my chances if they knew this. I asked my advisor and she told me absolutely not to attempt to communicate with schools before getting an interview invite, but i'd like to get some more opinions. Any help is appreciated!!
I know this is a stretch, but would you all consider being a tutor for a class called "Medical Physiology" healthcare-related employment?
alright maybe someone here can help me with my situation: I'm extremely interested in this school bc my girlfriend lives in chicago and i really love the city and want to live there there. Is there any way for me to communicate this information to the school? I feel like it would increase my chances if they knew this. I asked my advisor and she told me absolutely not to attempt to communicate with schools before getting an interview invite, but i'd like to get some more opinions. Any help is appreciated!!
You could bring it up at an interview or post-interview in a letter of interest. But I would focus more on the school then the city in both instances.
I know this is a stretch, but would you all consider being a tutor for a class called "Medical Physiology" healthcare-related employment?
Not in my opinion (M2 at Rush so feel free to take that into consideration)-sorry. You yourself view it as a stretch . Healthcare related employment involves direct hands on patient contact hours (clinical research would count if you saw patients and didnt do just data entry).
And to the other poster, a girlfriend is not a good enough reason to pick a school (In their eyes) especially when there are so many schools in Chicago.
Rush is a great school to attend not just because of Chicago connections but because of all it has to offer.
Last edited:
This might be a silly question, but does volunteer work at a hospital count as community service? I'm thinking not, since there's a separate question for health-care related experiences. I'd like to talk about my hospital volunteer work in that essay though, since I don't have a ton of other community service hours. Thoughts?
This might be a silly question, but does volunteer work at a hospital count as community service? I'm thinking not, since there's a separate question for health-care related experiences. I'd like to talk about my hospital volunteer work in that essay though, since I don't have a ton of other community service hours. Thoughts?
I used it as community service. You can't tell me that the time I gave (for free) at a hospital near my home (my community) is not giving to the community, community service.
Not in my opinion (M2 at Rush so feel free to take that into consideration)-sorry. You yourself view it as a stretch . Healthcare related employment involves direct hands on patient contact hours (clinical research would count if you saw patients and didnt do just data entry).
Thanks! Just wanted to double check, but I figured. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when IIs are supposed to start coming out for Rush?
I used it as community service. You can't tell me that the time I gave (for free) at a hospital near my home (my community) is not giving to the community, community service.
That's what I would have thought, too, except that then there was the healthcare activities question. Did you list it under both then?
That's what I would have thought, too, except that then there was the healthcare activities question. Did you list it under both then?
I had enough volunteer experiences and work experiences and other experiences, all related to medicine/health that I was able to divy it up
So it's been a little quiet around here.... anyone heard anything as of late?
Nope...but this bump made me hope IIs had been sent out.
I've been having the same problem with the secondary as a few other posters, where the duration of my employment changes after I save it. Has anyone figured out a way to resolve it? I called Rush and was directed to a voicemail giving me the email address, so I emailed them today. Thanks!
Last edited:
according to last years thread earliest II was 9/29
we got some waiting to do
With that said, most interviews occur 3-4 weeks after notification, so shouldn't they be shelling them out now-ish?
I cant imagine they'd email an applicant 9/28 and be like "Hey, wanna interview tomorrow?"
With that said, most interviews occur 3-4 weeks after notification, so shouldn't they be shelling them out now-ish?
I cant imagine they'd email an applicant 9/28 and be like "Hey, wanna interview tomorrow?"
jk1006 is saying the first interview invite (not interview) went out 9/29.
With that said, most interviews occur 3-4 weeks after notification, so shouldn't they be shelling them out now-ish?
I cant imagine they'd email an applicant 9/28 and be like "Hey, wanna interview tomorrow?"
Yeah but he's saying the first interview invite wasn't until 9/29 not the actual interview day so I guess first actual interview day wasn't until some time in October last cycle
With that said, most interviews occur 3-4 weeks after notification, so shouldn't they be shelling them out now-ish?
I cant imagine they'd email an applicant 9/28 and be like "Hey, wanna interview tomorrow?"
II = interview invite, that is the notification
so the invites of out end of september for actual interviews in october
edit: there are a lot of people on this rush thread refreshing it for updates
3 responses to mmedran in like 2 minutes
A little birdie told me first interview date is in mid September and II will be starting shortly if they havent already.

jk1006 is saying the first interview invite (not interview) went out 9/29.
Yeah but he's saying the first interview invite wasn't until 9/29 not the actual interview day so I guess first actual interview day wasn't until some time in October last cycle
II = interview invite, that is the notification
so the invites of out end of september for actual interviews in october
edit: there are a lot of people on this rush thread refreshing it for updates
3 responses to mmedran in like 2 minutes
Wait, what was that "invite" you say? as in not actual interview?! **note sarcasm**
HOLY SMOKES SDNers!!!!!! I misread the post... Let's all relax, shall we?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My status just says "application file complete." Is there anyone with a different status, like an "under review" one?
theres no other status yet
A little birdie told me first interview date is in mid September and II will be starting shortly if they havent already.
Also a heads up: they screen at a 27 MCAT (Source: an adcommer)
Any idea if they take the highest MCAT? Most recent?
Also, I have heard that some school take the average of all your MCAT scores.
Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values
Any thoughts on this essay? With only 1000 characters I'm having a hard time coming up with enough of a clear cut experiential example. I was never really a bigot or anything in the first place so I'm stumped on a change. How did everybody else do?
Any thoughts on this essay? With only 1000 characters I'm having a hard time coming up with enough of a clear cut experiential example. I was never really a bigot or anything in the first place so I'm stumped on a change. How did everybody else do?
Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values
Any thoughts on this essay? With only 1000 characters I'm having a hard time coming up with enough of a clear cut experiential example. I was never really a bigot or anything in the first place so I'm stumped on a change. How did everybody else do?
I talked about a few things. I agree, there isn't much room to give full examples, so I was pretty general about it.
Does anyone know when RMC will send II's?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K