You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Tufts University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm interested in applying to the Maine track this upcoming June--Maine resident, older applicant. It seems like one has to move around quite a bit in the Maine track--2 years in Boston, 1 year in rural Maine, then at a variety of sites in Maine for the 4th year. Is there anyone in the Maine Track who can comment on whether it is possible to balance raising a family and completing the Maine track? I'm a bit worried about my husband being able to find a job in multiple locations between Boston and Maine in the 4 yrs. of med. school and then residency. Do students have to live in Boston for the first two years or has anyone been able to swing living in southern Maine and commuting? Do you know anyone who has kids and is going through the program? Does the student seem miserable or adjusted? Is Tufts (esp. the Maine Track) family-friendly? Love the Maine Track program as it is on paper; wondering if it is manageable for someone with a family. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide insight on the topic.
Can't answer all your questions, but I interviewed a few weeks ago and from what I understand... the first 2 years are in Boston with the occasional trips to Maine to see some patients and be involved with the community (all commuting and hospitality paid for by Tufts). I think come second year they send us up to Maine once a week. Third and Fourth year is based out of Portland. If you want to go more rural you can but for the most part I believe students are based out of Portland unless they request otherwise. I think one rotation is required to be rural so maybe 6 weeks total of the two years. As for commuting that seems like a lot to do everyday, but if your husband has a stable job in south Maine it may make more sense for you guys to stay instead of moving to Boston. Hope this helps a little!
No clue.. Based on last years thread it seems like calls will also be made at the beginning of next week. I hope that is the case haha
Yeah, I think the calls usually go out of the course of a few days. Not sure why it's done that way. Will the deferred decision come via email or snail mail?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nice. Did you get a call too?Accepted! Interviewed 11/7.
Got an II today!! Complete in mid november, and the only date available is late February..yikes
Your completion date tells me that I should stop stressing and that I've been silently rejected.
+1Your completion date tells me that I should stop stressing and that I've been silently rejected.![]()
also got an interview invite when amberkre got one (submitted secondary in oct, but wasn't complete until mid nov probably). literally got the ii probably at the same time, making me think that these things go out in batches. in any case, i'm set for feb 11th.
Yea, Dr. Neumeyer called me on Thursday, 12/5.Nice. Did you get a call too?
Your completion date tells me that I should stop stressing and that I've been silently rejected.![]()
+2
+3. Agree with the
+3. Agree with the. There's nothing quite like silence for 5 months to make my first choice school eventually fall to the level of "meh".
+4 complete mid September
Your completion date tells me that I should stop stressing and that I've been silently rejected.![]()
I just emailed the admissions office asking about my status. I'm thinking I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I want them to own up to their choice, and make it official. Until they say "no", I'm just going to assume they're too shy to say "yes".
^
Last edited:
I just emailed the admissions office asking about my status. I'm thinking I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I want them to own up to their choice, and make it official. Until they say "no", I'm just going to assume they're too shy to say "yes".
Let us know what you hear!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!Just got a call from Dean Neumeyer (I hope not impersonator!). First acceptance!!! 🙂 #Classof2018
Interviewed on 11/19
CA resident, current UCLA student
But now I definitely know things are not looking well for me, interviewed 11/14, no news 🙁
I just emailed the admissions office asking about my status. I'm thinking I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I want them to own up to their choice, and make it official. Until they say "no", I'm just going to assume they're too shy to say "yes".
All the March interview dates are still open (6 total) so there is definitely at least one more wave of IIs coming soon. Wishing everyone still waiting to hear back the best of luck!
I guess it's a bit consoling to know that there are 6 dates open in March... but also a bit scary since it's only early December. Oh well, I still have (a little) hope for an interview even after those 5 months of wait.
Accepted!!! Interview 11/19. BOOM
If it's worth anything my wife got an interview invite to tufts in march for march...lol...there are always cancellations and things. Especially when a lot of schools will send acceptances in March, you'll definitely see a few II slots open up.
^ACCEPTED. Interviewed 11/19
FIRST ONE.
I got the call when I was half asleep and as soon as he introduced himself I started babbling incoherently.
I don't even remember what he said after hahahaha
Last edited:
did you guys hear by email or what?
Last edited:
just got the deferred email, interviewed 11/14. honestly, what are the chances of it turning into an acceptance vs waitlist? thanks..
That all depends on you, the candidate. I don't think anyone can give you an honest answer- except for maybe the admissions committee. GL
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they do anything besides accept/defer?
of those who are accepted, how long after was the website updated with your acceptance, or when did you get an email? Also, what are the next steps? thanks!
I got the call Monday evening and just got the email today. The only change on the website are the new emails that show up in Communication Status. They say the admission packet was mailed today, and the candidate reply form has to be in by Dec 24. I'm assuming I will have to send in a deposit too.
just got emailed this morning also!I got the call Monday evening and just got the email today. The only change on the website are the new emails that show up in Communication Status. They say the admission packet was mailed today, and the candidate reply form has to be in by Dec 24. I'm assuming I will have to send in a deposit too.
I'm interested in applying to the Maine track this upcoming June--Maine resident, older applicant. It seems like one has to move around quite a bit in the Maine track--2 years in Boston, 1 year in rural Maine, then at a variety of sites in Maine for the 4th year. Is there anyone in the Maine Track who can comment on whether it is possible to balance raising a family and completing the Maine track? I'm a bit worried about my husband being able to find a job in multiple locations between Boston and Maine in the 4 yrs. of med. school and then residency. Do students have to live in Boston for the first two years or has anyone been able to swing living in southern Maine and commuting? Do you know anyone who has kids and is going through the program? Does the student seem miserable or adjusted? Is Tufts (esp. the Maine Track) family-friendly? Love the Maine Track program as it is on paper; wondering if it is manageable for someone with a family. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide insight on the topic.
So I am not a Maine Tracker, but will answer as best I can. For the first 2 years your classes are basically all in Boston, except for CAP, where you spend 2 days every other week at an office in Maine. There are at least a couple of people who have families and live in Maine through these 2 years and commute down for mandatory stuff. 1st year is more difficult because there tends to be more mandatory lectures/small groups, as well as anatomy. That being said, it is quite possible.
I believe 3rd year takes place entirely at Maine Medical Center, possibly with some rural sites, but I am not sure. 4th year I can't speak to, though I would guess that it can be focused in Maine as well if you want.
There are a number of people, in both regular and Maine track, with families. Personally, I have no idea how they pull it off (especially the ones with newborns) but they all seem pretty on top of things and happy overall. I have never heard them complaining about Tufts in terms of managing there families, though to some extent you have to make time to attend the required things one way or the other. I would suggest you e-mail the admissions office and ask if they have an students from the maine track who would be willing to speak with you, I would be surprised if there aren't any available.
I think someone earlier asked about MD/MPH updates. I interviewed back in September, was accepted in October and just got an email saying I've been accepted to the MD/MPH program! So they are definitely sending them out for applicants who have already been accepted.
I'm interested in applying to the Maine track this upcoming June--Maine resident, older applicant. It seems like one has to move around quite a bit in the Maine track--2 years in Boston, 1 year in rural Maine, then at a variety of sites in Maine for the 4th year. Is there anyone in the Maine Track who can comment on whether it is possible to balance raising a family and completing the Maine track? I'm a bit worried about my husband being able to find a job in multiple locations between Boston and Maine in the 4 yrs. of med. school and then residency. Do students have to live in Boston for the first two years or has anyone been able to swing living in southern Maine and commuting? Do you know anyone who has kids and is going through the program? Does the student seem miserable or adjusted? Is Tufts (esp. the Maine Track) family-friendly? Love the Maine Track program as it is on paper; wondering if it is manageable for someone with a family. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide insight on the topic.
Maine-Tracker here. First, I know three people who commute from Maine (considering we're 35 students, close to 10% commutes from southern Maine). PM me your email and I'll shoot it off to them. Second, the 2 years in Maine can be done in Portland. There are roughly 16 slots for rural LIC (3rd year), so a majority of us are staying in Portland anyway, so you'll be fine there. Third, I have a 4 month old child, so I can speak to that, but if you're looking for experience from people with older children, I'll put you in touch with them. Tufts is extremely family friendly (as much as a medical school can be...) The Maine Track in particular is particularly manageable with a family. Bottom line: the Maine Track is an amazing program and I recommend it without reservation.
It doesn't seem like you are considering it, but I would NOT consider commuting from Boston 3rd and 4th year. It simply won't happen, so make sure your husband doesn't look in Boston for jobs that require a longer than two-year commitment. Also be aware that you have the front spot for the majority of MMC residencies, so you certainly have the option of having your family in Maine for the next 7+ years. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions you have.
Hi, I was recently invited to join the MD/MPH program and I was wondering if I could talk to current MPH students about the program. I'm really interested in global health, particularly infectious/tropical diseases, and am currently working on a thesis on antimalarial drugs. Will this program be a good fit for me? Also, how do current students like the program? I've heard that instead of going on selectives, students attend MPH courses during that time. Does this seem to put you at a disadvantage in terms of clinical experience? Lastly, how does tuition and living expenses work for those in the program? Any advice and perspectives would be much appreciated. Also does Tufts have a second look weekend? Thanks in advance!
Last edited:
I have a question for locals or those who already interviewed: If I land at 7:4oam on the morning of my interview, is that enough time to arrive at Tufts by 9:45? I plan on taking the subway.
The school doesn't seem far and it seems like it'll be an easy/quick ride, but I don't know if there are any variables I am not taking into account.
The school doesn't seem far and it seems like it'll be an easy/quick ride, but I don't know if there are any variables I am not taking into account.
Any new interview invites lately? Or does anyone know what dates interviews are into slash when Tufts stop interviewing?
All this waiting is killing me...
All this waiting is killing me...
Any new interview invites lately? Or does anyone know what dates interviews are into slash when Tufts stop interviewing?
All this waiting is killing me...
I interviewed a while back and it looks like there are still dates available in March.
I have a question for locals or those who already interviewed: If I land at 7:4oam on the morning of my interview, is that enough time to arrive at Tufts by 9:45? I plan on taking the subway.
The school doesn't seem far and it seems like it'll be an easy/quick ride, but I don't know if there are any variables I am not taking into account.
It should be fine. The variable you need to take into account would be if you have any luggage (assuming you don't), and if the flight will arrive ON TIME. 2 hours from airport to the orange line to Tufts should be enough.
I won't have any bags with me just my carry on. Hopefully the flight is on time.It should be fine. The variable you need to take into account would be if you have any luggage (assuming you don't), and if the flight will arrive ON TIME. 2 hours from airport to the orange line to Tufts should be enough.
Do you know if the silver line is an option? Or do I have to take the blue/orange to get there?
My bad, I was thinking of something else when I said orange line. SL1 should be fine, and you can just walk from South station to Tufts....maybe grab a breakfast at Mcdonalds or a Chinatown bakery 🙂I won't have any bags with me just my carry on. Hopefully the flight is on time.
Do you know if the silver line is an option? Or do I have to take the blue/orange to get there?
Still hoping for an ii here ....!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, thanks a lot and good luck!My bad, I was thinking of something else when I said orange line. SL1 should be fine, and you can just walk from South station to Tufts....maybe grab a breakfast at Mcdonalds or a Chinatown bakery 🙂
Still hoping for an ii here ....!
I got off my 620am flight, took the silver line to south station, walked, got breakfast, checked into the hostel there, got dressed, and made it to the waiting area, all in under an hour and a half. There might be more traffic and such, but you should be golden timewise if your flight isn't delayed and/or the bus doesn't breakdown.I won't have any bags with me just my carry on. Hopefully the flight is on time.
Do you know if the silver line is an option? Or do I have to take the blue/orange to get there?
I would not count on the silver line, there could be bad traffic and that would ruin everything...ive been stuck on SL1 for 30-45 minutes before. Just take the blue line and then take the reed to downtown crossing or orange to tufts medical.
I would not count on the silver line, there could be bad traffic and that would ruin everything...ive been stuck on SL1 for 30-45 minutes before. Just take the blue line and then take the reed to downtown crossing or orange to tufts medical.
What are you talking about? The the blue line doesn't even connect to the red, and taking the blue means shuttle + blue + orange. Granted the orange takes you straight to Tufts but the silver line is still the best bet from the airport. Most of the SL1 line isn't even part of the normal traffic. Orange line has been having a lot of cold-related delays lately, too.
2 hours is more than enough unless something truly awful happens that there would have been no way to plan around aside from getting in a day earlier.
What are you talking about? The the blue line doesn't even connect to the red, and taking the blue means shuttle + blue + orange. Granted the orange takes you straight to Tufts but the silver line is still the best bet from the airport. Most of the SL1 line isn't even part of the normal traffic. Orange line has been having a lot of cold-related delays lately, too.
2 hours is more than enough unless something truly awful happens that there would have been no way to plan around aside from getting in a day earlier.
And if something truly awful happens you can always take a cab.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K