2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I'm a current MS2 at UACOM-Phoenix. I'm here to answer any questions you have about the school -- feel free to PM me! I moved across the country to attend this school as an OOS student. It's an amazing place and I'm incredibly happy to be here.

Dr. Cunningham,

I'm currently an OOS applicant and have submitted my primary application last week. I received an email stating my application is on hold, due to me taking the MCAT in Sept. Does this mean I will receive a secondary based on my MCAT score? If so, my score won't be released until Oct 15th, isn't that a bit too late to submit a secondary? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Cunningham,

Has your med school ever accepted applicants with a subpar MCAT score? Like >22? Thanks again!

Recent class range was 24-42. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dr. Cunningham! I have another question: I'm currently an OOS applicant and have submitted my primary application last week. I received an email stating my application is on hold, due to me taking the MCAT in Sept. Does this mean I will receive a secondary based on my MCAT score? If so, my score won't be released until Oct 15th, isn't that a bit too late to submit a secondary? Thanks again!

Does anyone know whether II's are sent out constantly or if they are sent out in batches? If they are sent out in batches does anyone know when the next batch gets sent out? I am very interested in this school and still haven't heard from them yet!

Does anyone know whether II's are sent out constantly or if they are sent out in batches? If they are sent out in batches does anyone know when the next batch gets sent out? I am very interested in this school and still haven't heard from them yet!

We invite daily, weekly through early-Dec. All not chosen for interview will be notified periodically, beginning later this month.

Did you guys use the same essay response to "how would you fit in with our mission/values...?" for both Tucson and Phoenix?

Did you guys use the same essay response to "how would you fit in with our mission/values...?" for both Tucson and Phoenix?

Nope. They're 2 completely different schools with 2 different styles. I'd look on each website and determine the differences

Note: the supplemental application is the gateway to an interview - giving little energy (copy/paste others' responses) will be received as little interest in the individual programs and, therefore, will have a negative outcome. In order to maximize your potential, review each, unique medical school and directly answer the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the picture should it be with a suite, shirt, or shirt and tie? Just wondering :)

Does anyone have any idea how many OOS acceptances are handed out (on average)? I've seen the matriculation numbers, but I was just curious how many are actually offered acceptances.

Dr. Cunningham,

I am an OOS applicant, LizzyM score 69.8. Would it be too late to submit my secondary this week? Are my chances pretty drasitcally reduced from submitting this late?

Thank you!

Dr. Cunningham,

I am an OOS applicant, LizzyM score 69.8. Would it be too late to submit my secondary this week? Are my chances pretty drasitcally reduced from submitting this late?

Thank you!

Help me understand - what is a LizzyM score??

Our national application deadline is Oct 15, supplemental application deadline is early-Dec. Interview offers will be extended through mid-December.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the admissions committee will accept updates after we have submitted our applications regarding new activities (i.e. volunteer work or jobs) that we have begun?? Thanks!!

Help me understand - what is a LizzyM score??

I think that LizzyM was a member of one of the various pre-med forums that invented a simple algorithm to create a metric that incorporates GPA and MCAT score. Basically, somebody made it up.

The most common variation is GPA multiplied by 10 plus the composite MCAT score.

Does anyone know if the admissions committee will accept updates after we have submitted our applications regarding new activities (i.e. volunteer work or jobs) that we have begun?? Thanks!!

As said during the Applicant Visit Day, updates are accepted; however, not likely to be considered when making final decisions.

I think that LizzyM was a member of one of the various pre-med forums that invented a simple algorithm to create a metric that incorporates GPA and MCAT score. Basically, somebody made it up.

The most common variation is GPA multiplied by 10 plus the composite MCAT score.

Interesting. Seems like another thing to stress over - oh dear!

Keep up the hard work, pre-meds!! Keep honest, genuine and authentic.

Interesting. Seems like another thing to stress over - oh dear!

Keep up the hard work, pre-meds!! Keep honest, genuine and authentic.

In all fairness, this is a very esoteric process. The only thing tangible we have for comparison among ourselves is the GPA and MCAT. So, it's not surprising that neurosis develops and exhibits itself in made up formulas that make for one more thing to be neurotic about, a nice little positive feedback loop.

Thanks being one of the few (if not only) representatives from an admission committee to help make it a little less esoteric.

In all fairness, this is a very esoteric process. The only thing tangible we have for comparison among ourselves is the GPA and MCAT. So, it's not surprising that neurosis develops and exhibits itself in made up formulas that make for one more thing to be neurotic about, a nice little positive feedback loop.

Thanks being one of the few (if not only) representatives from an admission committee to help make it a little less esoteric.

Happy to help reduce the mystery, thereby anxiety, of the process as best I can on SDN.

Thankfully I checked all the secondaries I marked as "complete" because I never actually clicked submit for my UA Phoenix! What a bummer. Hoping for some magic!

21 days remaining to submit your AMCAS. Remember, Phoenix deadline is October 15th and transcripts must arrive within two-weeks after the deadline.

No extensions are granted.

We invite daily, weekly through early-Dec. All not chosen for interview will be notified periodically, beginning later this month.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,
I was just wondering if rejections have started going out yet. I haven't heard anything since I submitted about 7 weeks ago, so I was just curious.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,
I was just wondering if rejections have started going out yet. I haven't heard anything since I submitted about 7 weeks ago, so I was just curious.

We will be begin notification of decisions in mid-October - I am sorry you have bit heard ANYTHING from us since submitting your app. We will discuss frequent updates at our next staff meeting.

Congratulations to all you who have received your interview invite, and good luck to those who are still waiting. I want to encourage those who are interviewing next week to come to the optional Sunday Mixer. We are excited to meet you and will do our best to remove some of your stress before the big day. It will be a casual time where you can ask us questions and find out more about why our school is so great!

Hope to see you there,

Ken

Congrats!!! How soon after submitting your secondary app did you receive an interview invite at UA Phoenix Med?

I am interviewing here on Monday! Any idea how long it typically takes to hear back after an interview?

Also, what is the typical dress for the mixer on Sunday? (I am female)

I went to the mixer earlier this year and as it says in the handout/flyer, the dress is casual. Just dress nice, like you were going to a nice dinner but nothing too fancy.

Last edited:
Mixer dress is casual. It's just applicants and students chatting about the school and getting to know each other. Just don't show up in anything too ridiculous and you'll be totally fine. :)

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I was curious if there is a general consensus on who we should be directing our thank you note/email to? You have definitely been extremely helpful and supportive both on these forums and the interview day itself, but during the meet and greet, I remember one of the MS1s had mentioned a name regarding this issue, but I forgot to write down who it was.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I was curious if there is a general consensus on who we should be directing our thank you note/email to? You have definitely been extremely helpful and supportive both on these forums and the interview day itself, but during the meet and greet, I remember one of the MS1s had mentioned a name regarding this issue, but I forgot to write down who it was.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this!

Thank you's can be sent to our office and are displayed for everyone involved in making the visit a great day for you, including our amazing Student Ambassadors (aka STARs).

You will find our mailing address on the College's website at phoenixmed.arizona.edu

Once our application is complete are we supposed to receive an email?

Seems like II have been silent for a while...

Seems like II have been silent for a while...

I've been thinking the same thing, but in an earlier post, Dr.Cunningham stated that interview invites are sent daily, so maybe they are being sent to applicants not on SDN. Just a thought :)

To those who already received IIs:

On average, how long between submitting your secondaries and receiving IIs?

:rolleyes:Still hopeful.

I submitted my secondary on 8/25 and got an II on 9/17. But I am also IS, so it may take longer for OOS

II this morning! OOS, 31 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, very non-traditional, lover of Arizona!!