2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they've passed my completion date, is it still possible to receive an II? Have rejections gone out yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dr. Cunningham, I had a question about finishing my secondary. This will be the first time applying to University of Arizona school of Medicine and I consider myself out of state. I took the MCAT and received a 28 (10P,6V,12B) and a 3.79 GPA. Do you think I have competitive chance of getting an interview, if submit my secondary within the next week. Thank You

Hi Dr. Cunningham, I had a question about finishing my secondary. This will be the first time applying to University of Arizona school of Medicine and I consider myself out of state. I took the MCAT and received a 28 (10P,6V,12B) and a 3.79 GPA. Do you think I have competitive chance of getting an interview, if submit my secondary completed within the next week. Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dr. Cunningham, I had a question about finishing my secondary. This will be the first time applying to University of Arizona school of Medicine and I consider myself out of state. I took the MCAT and received a 28 (10P,6V,12B) and a 3.79 GPA. Do you think I have competitive chance of getting an interview, if submit my secondary completed within the next week. Thank You

As the days go by, our interview slots decrease so waiting much longer to submit really puts you at a disadvantage. We accept applications (secondary) through Dec 2, but very few seats will be left to offer.

Attention Northern California - UA Phoenix Med is attending the UC-Davis AMSA Conference. Come see us tomorrow from 11-3 during the fair on the Quad, Dean's Panel at 9, Workshops at 10-5. Busy day!!

As the days go by, our interview slots decrease so waiting much longer to submit really puts you at a disadvantage. We accept applications (secondary) through Dec 2, but very few seats will be left to offer.

Hi Dr. Cunningham-

Could you possibly share approxiamtely how many more interview slots are left at UA Phx Med?

Looking at my application status on the UA Phoenix website, I see a line under "App Complete" that says "Interview", with a blue lock on it and the words "Not Scheduled Yet". I just wanted to confirm that this means I have not yet been invited to interview, not that I am supposed to schedule an interview. Status updates will be sent by email right?

Looking at my application status on the UA Phoenix website, I see a line under "App Complete" that says "Interview", with a blue lock on it and the words "Not Scheduled Yet". I just wanted to confirm that this means I have not yet been invited to interview, not that I am supposed to schedule an interview. Status updates will be sent by email right?

Yep, that's the automatic status.

Hi Dr. Cunningham:
Are first round of acceptance/rejection/waitlist decision going out tomorrow?

Hi Dr. Cunningham

Do you know roughly how many interview invites should still be available around mid November? I submitted my AMCAS on Sept. 20 (much later than I originally anticipated :() and fear I won't be verified by them until mid November (8 weeks). Would all invited past mid November be for January interviews or possibly some in December? Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today is the last day to submit your AMCAS! We intentionally release interview invitations slowly over the application processing months to ensure those who submit the primary (and subsequently the supplemental) by the respective deadlines.

We estimate releasing ~20 invitations per week through early December. This is typically 10% of the reviewed applications. Please be certain to answer the supplemental questions and submit an error-free application. Attention to detail is critical in medicine!!

Decisions will be communicated today for those who visited campus in Aug and through September 23.

Those still waiting for an interview invitation decision will also be updated later in the week.

Last edited:
I got a call from Dr. Cunningham. I got in. I cannot believe it. I could barely hold it together on the phone. Maybe I didn't hold it together. I don't know. Either way, I am so thankful and excited.

It was truly been a long haul and I am awed and humbled by the intense, unwavering dedication of the oftentimes neurotic premedical students on here. I am thrilled and grateful to be in the company of people so wholeheartedly dedicated to making this world a better place.

Best of luck to everyone else.

I just got the call and I'm accepted!! I'm so ecstatic, I have no words. Can't wait to go back and visit Phoenix and the school. To all you low-stat people out there, there's hope! Best of luck to everyone, we're all in this together.

Super excited I got the call from Dr. Cunningham and received an acceptance! Honestly I was super surprised but in a good way :)

Good luck to everyone else!

Super excited I got the call from Dr. Cunningham and received an acceptance! Honestly I was super surprised but in a good way :)

Good luck to everyone else!

Getting anxious!! How long ago?

Just got a kept under consideration e-mail. Congratulations to those of who got accepted today. Hopefully I'll be joining the club in the near future.

congrats to everyone accepted today! i hope to join y'all in 10 days !!!!

Accepted! First II, interview, and acceptance. I couldn't be happier. I loved the atmosphere and can't wait to continue being a wildcat

Congratulations to those accepted and best of luck to those still waiting. We can't wait to have you join us next year!

Hello! I'm so excited to start school here next year!! So excited that I already created a Facebook group. If you've been accepted, please join! :) And to current students, please join as well so you can answer all of our questions in the near future. We promise we won't be that annoying. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/452250011559339/

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I am just wondering if you have any estimate on how long it may take to get a II. I waited to submit my secondary until September 23, and then got a much improved MCAT retake score on October 8th. I am in-state, if that at all factors into when applications are reviewed.

Thanks.

You folks who got that call...how awesome was that?! Congrats. Maybe I'll join your ranks next Friday.

You folks who got that call...how awesome was that?! Congrats. Maybe I'll join your ranks next Friday.

It was hands down the best call I've ever received in my life. I was blubbering. I couldn't really get much out other than "thank you so much". It still hasn't fully set in.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you get some great news next Friday.

Is there any idea how many offers were made on the 15th?? I find out my fate on the 25th!

Anyone receive an interview yet that was complete towards the end of September?

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I'm part Native American and out of state. I am thinking about applying to UA. My advisor told me to not worry about my low MCAT score because of my ethnicity. He said it's overlooked because of my heritage. Honestly, this made me kind of upset. I've heard lots of rumors about this on this forum and was wondering if you could clear this up.

Does the admission committee take this into consideration when someone applies? Or are people looked at equally without regards to ethnicity? I'm tired of people saying that URM get special status and privileges.

I know it's a big question, but I think it's important to talk about and I'd really like to hear some truth behind it.

Thank you,

Summer

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I'm part Native American and out of state. I am thinking about applying to UA. My advisor told me to not worry about my low MCAT score because of my ethnicity. He said it's overlooked because of my heritage. Honestly, this made me kind of upset. I've heard lots of rumors about this on this forum and was wondering if you could clear this up.

Does the admission committee take this into consideration when someone applies? Or are people looked at equally without regards to ethnicity? I'm tired of people saying that URM get special status and privileges.

I know it's a big question, but I think it's important to talk about and I'd really like to hear some truth behind it.

Thank you,

Summer

It's interesting how race is one of the best indicators, to medical schools, of someone's future success as a physician. Previous Asian medical school applicants with my stats had a 60% chance of getting accepted to a medical school whereas an African American counterpart had a 95% chance.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Thank you,

Summer

Clearly I am not Dr. Cunningham, but here are the data from AMCAS regarding matriculants to med school based on GPA, MCAT, and race:

Data for white applicants:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Data for all other races/ethnicities:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321520/data/2012factstable25-5.pdf

You can make a relatively informed decision as to whether or not race is a factor based upon these data.

Here's the web page these are located on:

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Neither race nor ethnicity is a stand-alone factor in admissions, just as neither the MCAT score nor a grade in Biochem is in our process. I hope this settles the myth that race, alone, will get you a position in our medical school. However, you should always celebrate your heritage and be willing to share and teach others how to see the world through your respective lens. In doing so, you open the eyes of those around you that live with very narrow vision.

One of many values core to our diversity commitment is to select a student body that is culturally-aware and sensitive to those from backgrounds different than their own. There are many ways a student can demonstrate their readiness to engage in our diverse patient population.

Each of should focus on your assets and work your hardest to reach beyond your default/comfort zone to prepare for medicine. Experience different communities and absorb the privilege and trust bestowed to you in these moments.

Got an II early this morning. In state, 4.0, 33. Verified 8/26. Secondary submitted 9/9

does anyone know if interview invites go out on a specific day of the week?

I think Dr. Cunningham stated that UA Phx Med will update applicants waiting for interview invitation decisions of their status mid-October. For those who have submitted your secondaries, have you heard anything?

I have not yet. She said some notifications will go out on the 25th of this month.

Complete about a month ago - nothing yet. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user