2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Although I have been accepted to a higher ranked or equally reputed school, I want to go to Cornell or Columbia because I grew up in NJ close to NYC.
I guess it's not worth wasting my time thinking they would call me one day. I am extremely grateful to be accepted to my top choice, but want to reiterate the point that applying to med school is a crapshoot process. You never know what each school look for... if you are aiming to go to top tier schools. Putting all my eggs in one basket now 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called and found out nothing. They said wait list movement happens May to June. The class is probably full, and the only upcoming acceptances will be from the declined acceptances after and near May 15.
 
Last edited:
I called and found out nothing. They said wait list movement happens May to June. The class is probably full, and the only upcoming acceptances will be from the declined acceptances after and near May 15.

Oh 🙁 I guess that was expected. Well thanks for calling!
 
Under the MD Orientation site, there is an academic calender. Tuesday, August 19th are "Opening Exercises" which include the White coat ceremony. Classes begin Monday, August 25th.
What makes you think so? At least at some schools, White coat ceremonies are held after 1-2 weeks of classes; it's not like they have to be held before classes start.
 
A student reported on the Facebook group that she had emailed the office to ask the date and time of the ceremony. According to her, our white coat ceremony will be on Tuesday, August 19, at 2pm. 🙂
Yes, thank you to the person who asked and answered about the white coat- i couldnt find that stuff anywhere!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can anyone comment on how you think the new curriculum will change the culture of WCMC? I was looking at our schedule and it seems like we are gonna have class/lab until 5pm 3 days a week. Im scared that ill end up studying the whole time and not be able to have a social life ( which seemed very possible for those who are students now) with the afternoons off.

Thoughts??
 
can anyone comment on how you think the new curriculum will change the culture of WCMC? I was looking at our schedule and it seems like we are gonna have class/lab until 5pm 3 days a week. Im scared that ill end up studying the whole time and not be able to have a social life ( which seemed very possible for those who are students now) with the afternoons off.

Thoughts??
It does look like the first semester is going to be more stressful than the current MS1, though at the second look we were told that this example schedule you're referring to was not representative of the real thing, we were told we would only have 1-2 afternoons a week of anatomy labs in the first semester and the rest of the afternoons would be free, not 3 afternoons a week as in this example schedule (you can see that one of the afternoons is actually a lab orientation, which only needs to happen once). The next 2 semesters will likely be similar to the current MS2, which, by the way, also includes something like 1-2 afternoons a week of things like learning neuro exam or practicing taking psych histories (concurrent with the neuro block) etc. (You can check out current block schedules posted on Cornell website.)

I fully expect the first semester to be hard, given its condensed nature. Will it change the school's culture? I dunno. It seems like "the culture" may fluctuate from class to class depending on the kind of students in each class. At the second look I interacted with several absolutely awesome MS1s and met a couple of (very tired but friendly) MS3s who mentioned that there seemed to be a pattern of alternating a "chill" class with a "gunner" class, i.e. the current MS1s and MS3s are the "chill" ones, and the current (awesomely matched) MS4s and MS2s (I didn't meet a single one, by the way, they were all studying for Step 1) are the more study-focused ones etc. So we'd be the next "gunner" class - and I was like "uh-oh" when I heard that - but I believe that in many ways it's up to us to set the culture for our class.
 
Last edited:
@Amygdarya I think you should be the official face of Weill Cornell admissions! In all seriousness, are you going to be involved in admissions at Cornell? You've been so incredibly helpful to many posters on this board in discussing Cornell's curriculum, culture, and opportunities. Also, I've seen your posts this past year on many schools' threads, which were always just as helpful. I just wanted to say a big congrats to you on picking Cornell--they're getting a great person!! 🙂
 
So SDN Appointed Official Student Representative of Weill Cornell (formerly known as @Amygdarya 😛), do you think there will be crowded clerkships in our 2nd year? I'm realizing there will be an overlap with our class when we're MS2s and the Class of 2017 MS3s.

Hey I think I can provide an answer to that! The Dean of Admissions said that they were looking into placing extra students into rotations at Columbia's or NYU's hospitals to help alleviate the strain. Apparently Cornell took on some of Columbia's extra rotating students back when Columbia switched from 2 year to 1.5 year preclinical, so he was optimistic they would be able to work something out with Columbia at least. But this was something he said a few months ago, so perhaps the recently crowned Official Student Representative of Weill Cornell will have a more recent answer. 😀
 
Hey I think I can provide an answer to that! The Dean of Admissions said that they were looking into placing extra students into rotations at Columbia's or NYU's hospitals to help alleviate the strain. Apparently Cornell took on some of Columbia's extra rotating students back when Columbia switched from 2 year to 1.5 year preclinical, so he was optimistic they would be able to work something out with Columbia at least. But this was something he said a few months ago, so perhaps the recently crowned Official Student Representative will have more complete answer.

Thanks snowflakes!! That makes a lot of sense and seems rather easy to do since we're only two-thirds their size.

Hey, if they want some students to go to the other NY-Pres or Bellevue...

tumblr_inline_mjimacIm851qz4rgp.gif
 
Awww, you guys are making me blush :shy: Thank you! I'm a lot less conspicuous in person... or so I hope 😀
@AmygdaryaIn all seriousness, are you going to be involved in admissions at Cornell?
I'm actually considering it. If I don't get overwhelmed by anatomy and stuff, I'll probably try to get involved with admissions.
I think I know who you are, so when we both get there Ill be sure to thank you a ton!
Haha, I'm hardly anonymous here, but it's OK with me.
So SDN Appointed Official Student Representative of Weill Cornell (formerly known as @Amygdarya 😛), do you think there will be crowded clerkships in our 2nd year? I'm realizing there will be an overlap with our class when we're MS2s and the Class of 2017 MS3s.
I had absolutely no idea about this very important topic, so I'm passing the Official Student Representative of Weill Cornell crown to:
Hey I think I can provide an answer to that! The Dean of Admissions said that they were looking into placing extra students into rotations at Columbia's or NYU's hospitals to help alleviate the strain. Apparently Cornell took on some of Columbia's extra rotating students back when Columbia switched from 2 year to 1.5 year preclinical, so he was optimistic they would be able to work something out with Columbia at least.
Sounds good to me! Thank you for the info snowflakes!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anyone happen to know what "Opening Exercises" consists of besides the White Coat Ceremony? Is orientation week generally busy and filled with many activities?

A friend of mine is considering visiting me during orientation week, as I definitely don't think I'll have time to host and explore NYC with them when med school starts, but I'm not sure how busy (or not busy) I will be. Anyone have any idea? Please help!!! Thanks.

Oh yeah, and hello future classmates!
 
Im not too sure, but maybe you could ask that question on the facebook group- the upperclassmen have been pretty helpful so far.
 
Would anyone happen to know what "Opening Exercises" consists of besides the White Coat Ceremony? Is orientation week generally busy and filled with many activities?

A friend of mine is considering visiting me during orientation week, as I definitely don't think I'll have time to host and explore NYC with them when med school starts, but I'm not sure how busy (or not busy) I will be. Anyone have any idea? Please help!!! Thanks.

Oh yeah, and hello future classmates!
Pero I don't have a Facebook.
Someone asked this question on Facebook, and I'm going to quote the response:
The orientation week is really, really laid back. There are seminars you have to attend on hospital/housing security, etc. but you're done by 2 or 3 the latest and have all day to hang out and explore the city. While your buddy could definitely have a friend over during that time, it is also a great week to spend time with your classmates so that may by something to consider when thinking about having other company.
 
Someone asked this question on Facebook, and I'm going to quote the response:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll have plenty of time to bond with y'all, but this is probably the only time I'll be free to show my buddy around the city. 🙂

get a Facebook account!
Yes, it's quite useful for communicating with your classmates and upperclassmen, if nothing else.

Eh, I'll consider it.........
 
Pero I don't have a Facebook.

Neither do I. Have you ever had one? I deleted mine about 5 years ago and I've only been thinking of rejoining to keep in touch with our class.

But I'm still pretty sure I won't. My plan is to just be @lalalapartay012 's best friend and she'll tell me all the updates. 😀
 
It also depends on how involved one wants to be with his/her classmates; some people prefer keeping it to themselves.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I missed something: are you guys in real life friends?
This thread is getting less and less anonymous 😀

Haha. Soon we'll all know each other. 😏

Nope. We haven't met in real life, yet. But it doesn't make our friendship any less real. *singing* "My little pony, my little pony, friendship is magic". Haha. I should stop. My inner 10-year old is showing.

Have you gotten through all the forms? The student health ones are incredibly thorough.