2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I received an email from the admissions office that they are getting ready to re-review the applications from the waitlist.

Anyone?
Yup, I think we all (on the WL) got it. I'm guessing that they just want to make sure the peeps on the WL still want to be on it. When I saw the e-mail, I nearly got a heart attack though! ;-)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone think we'll hear something tomorrow like last year?

This is just speculation, but we only received emails about continued interest in the wait list two days ago. Unless if the adcom moves at an ungodly speed, it is probably more likely that we start hearing back mid week next week. That being said, I really hope that last year's trend holds!
 
Not to cause panic, but a friend was just accepted off the wait-list here. Good luck!

That's awesome. I think the trend will uphold: many of the students I met during revisit weekend were torn between some amazing schools.

BTW, I officially withdrew elsewhere and will be matriculating this August. Hope you're all there. 🙂

My lord that's only 3 months from now. :hungover:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well boys and girls, it's almost 230pm here in new york, and im giving up hopes that they're pulling today, if at all anymore.

has anyone called for more information? i called maybe 4-5 days ago and no one picked up; i got voicemail :/
 
Do people think that waitlist movement will be slower this year, for whatever reason?
My guess is that they are just waiting until Monday to deal with telling people. It being Friday, they probably don't want to tell people and then leave for the weekend unable to answers people's questions. Also, I'm not sure how long they give people on the waitlist to answer their offer, but perhaps the weekend cuts into that too. Just my 2 cents.
 
My guess is that they are just waiting until Monday to deal with telling people. It being Friday, they probably don't want to tell people and then leave for the weekend unable to answers people's questions. Also, I'm not sure how long they give people on the waitlist to answer their offer, but perhaps the weekend cuts into that too. Just my 2 cents.

Yup, exactly. I also don't think there is going to be as much movement as in past years. At least qualitatively, it seems a lot of people on the fence with other schools ended up picking Cornell. That said, there will definitely be more movement than just the one person called so far.
 
Yup, exactly. I also don't think there is going to be as much movement as in past years. At least qualitatively, it seems a lot of people on the fence with other schools ended up picking Cornell. That said, there will definitely be more movement than just the one person called so far.
Idk, that maybe true based on the sdn sample. However, I'd think that the brand new curriculum would scare more people off because people don't want to be guinea pigs. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.
 
Idk, that maybe true based on the sdn sample. However, I'd think that the brand new curriculum would scare more people off because people don't want to be guinea pigs. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

Initially I thought that as well. In reality, I think the opposite is occurring. The curriculum says - somewhat indirectly - less PBL. Since pretty much all the current med students say PBL is a pain, applicants aren't viewing the change negatively. They're viewing it positively. Honestly though, I don't think many applicants care about curriculum that much anyway.
 
Congrats!! Did you also get an email?

Yup on the phone she mentioned that I would get an email with more details about accepting the spot and applying for financial aid, and then I got the email about 10-15 minutes later.

I hear...Cornell has a rabid gopher problem in their dorms...I would strongly advise against accepting the offer.
😱 I'll take that into consideration! haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone comment on the social life/ feasibility of meeting a lot of new people at WCMC. I am worried that it will be hard to meet a lot of people with such a small class size. How many grad students/people in their early-mid 20s in the surrounding schools (HSS, Rockefeller, WCMC grad school). Sorry for this question, but this is one of my concerns.

I really don't think this is going to be an issue. In fact, considering everyone basically lives together first year, I think it would be very hard not to meet people. From what I've already gathered about the incoming class - and the ones previous - there is a great group of students here. I wouldn't be concerned at all.
 
I second what @rfenzo says: student housing + a relatively small class help in creating a very tight knit community of students. And it seems like we're going to have an awesome class. This is actually one of the reasons I chose Cornell 🙂
If you want to meet people outside of medical school, there is Rock U right across the street + Weill seems to have some connection and events with Hunter College + come on, it's New York City! It's impossible not to meet people there even if you want to hide under a rock.
 
Last edited:
Can any students comment on the nightlife for WCMC students. Where do people go for a night out? I heard that the UES is a family-oriented neighborhood, correct?

Also, how convenient is public transport for WCMC's location? I heard the subway station is relatively far away.
 
I second what @rfenzo says: student housing + a relatively small class help in creating a very tight knit community of students. And it seems like we're going to have an awesome class. This is actually one of the reasons I chose Cornell 🙂
If you want to meet people outside of medical school, there is Rock U right across the street + Weill seems to have some connection and events with Hunter College + come on, it's New York City! It's impossible not to meet people there even if you want to hide under a rock.

You will have lots of new friends to study with and explore the city.

Tbh, dating is a little tricky given class size and that many are in serious relationships. But that's true for many med schools it seems.
 
Can any students comment on the nightlife for WCMC students. Where do people go for a night out? I heard that the UES is a family-oriented neighborhood, correct?

Also, how convenient is public transport for WCMC's location? I heard the subway station is relatively far away.

There are a couple food bars in the UES but people usually migrate en masse to the east village or meatpacking for more grand plans. It's nice not to live in a crazy area, tbh.

The subway station (6 line) is a 12 min hike, it a select bus up and down 1st/2nd Ave is almost as fast for getting to east village
 
So who else lives in Olin? Do WCMC grad school students do too?

Also does anyone know if social mixers happen at WCMC? I have heard they occur at other med schools in NYC.

Thanks
Some rotating Ithaca grad students as well as international MD students on electives share Olin. Met some cool people that way, actually.

We have mixers with other classes and there are NYC wide LGTBQ/other group mixers, too. Better yet, crash Rockefeller parties!
 
So... I am assuming all the acceptances from the waitlist have gone out already?
I was hoping to return near my home town for med school. I guess it will be during my residency..
 
So... I am assuming all the acceptances from the waitlist have gone out already?
I was hoping to return near my home town for med school. I guess it will be during my residency..

I hope not! Where did you hear this/ what are you basing this off of?
 
Hang in there guys! I think there must be more wait list movement because: a) it's only been a couple of work days since May 15th, the admissions people may still be calculating how many they need to accept from the wait list and choosing whom; b) in addition to the main post May 15th wave of acceptances, there may also be a smaller trickle of later acceptances once people accepted from waitlists elsewhere decide to go there.
 
Hang in there guys! I think there must be more wait list movement because: a) it's only been a couple of work days since May 15th, the admissions people may still be calculating how many they need to accept from the wait list and choosing whom; b) in addition to the main post May 15th wave of acceptances, there may also be a smaller trickle of later acceptances once people accepted from waitlists elsewhere decide to go there.
I think the chances of me getting off the WL are slim. It's been so much fun hanging out with y'all this season! 🙂 See you during MATCH season. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did everyone send in a letter of interest/intent/et etc.

how much weight do they carry for the WL? and is it too late already?

(ps - any guesses to how many spots are still available? welp)
 
Can someone tell me how much time and during when in the new curriculum is devoted to USMLE step 1 prep. I was trying to figure it out with the curriculum ppt they sent us but all it says is "flex."

Thanks!
 
Can someone tell me how much time and during when in the new curriculum is devoted to USMLE step 1 prep. I was trying to figure it out with the curriculum ppt they sent us but all it says is "flex."
At the curriculum talk, we were told 6-7 weeks, depending on how you schedule it (which is about the amount of time Cornell students get for Step 1 prep in the current curriculum).
"Flex" means you have the flexibility to schedule it whenever you like during the main clinical year (i.e. the year after the 1.5 preclinical years).