2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really came away with a great impression of this school after interview day, but unfortunately due to financial considerations, I had to decline my acceptance today. Great news for all of you! Hang in there!

you got accepted today and declined? Or accepted earlier and just decided to withdraw? I was under the impression that they just formed the waitlist today and wouldn't accept anyone :O

Members don't see this ad :)
you got accepted today and declined? Or accepted earlier and just decided to withdraw? I was under the impression that they just formed the waitlist today and wouldn't accept anyone :O

I was accepted in April. Just today I withdrew my acceptance and wanted to let you all know.

Reactions: 2 users
the email doesn't specify what the increase is. and i'm at work so i can't check my student portal

it'd be...kind of lame if there were an unannounced tuition increase a week after the drop deadline

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything about acceptances today? Last year's thread seemed to suggest they were sending out updates every Monday. The wait is killing me :(

the email doesn't specify what the increase is. and i'm at work so i can't check my student portal

it'd be...kind of lame if there were an unannounced tuition increase a week after the drop deadline
Just checked the financial aid guide pdf again and it looks like tuition did go up. First year is 58.5k. I swear I thought it was 56k before but I might be wrong. Looks like tuition across the board is 55.3k now

I was accepted too, just now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you three! Fingers crossed they're still sending out acceptances in batches or else I missed the first wave :(

Reactions: 1 user
Just checked the financial aid guide pdf again and it looks like tuition did go up. First year is 58.5k. I swear I thought it was 56k before but I might be wrong. Looks like tuition across the board is 55.3k now
where is this pdf? did they send it to us when we got accepted?

congrats on acceptances off the waitlist! For those that were offered a position on the alternate list, did you get any confirmation email or status update on the portal when you accepted or turned down the position? I accepted alternate list position last week but didn't get any confirmation and when I just checked the page it says "We're sorry - the deadline for Alternate has passed. If you have any questions, please call the admissions office at 518-262-5521" Not sure if this is supposed to be like this or I didn't actually confirm my position..

congrats on acceptances off the waitlist! For those that were offered a position on the alternate list, did you get any confirmation email or status update on the portal when you accepted or turned down the position? I accepted alternate list position last week but didn't get any confirmation and when I just checked the page it says "We're sorry - the deadline for Alternate has passed. If you have any questions, please call the admissions office at 518-262-5521" Not sure if this is supposed to be like this or I didn't actually confirm my position..
It just brought me to the next page that said thanks or w/e, but no actual email
where is this pdf? did they send it to us when we got accepted?
On their website under financial aid guide

It just brought me to the next page that said thanks or w/e, but no actual email

when you go to your application portal and click alternate response form, does it say the same thing or something different? thanks

https://www.amc.edu/academic/Undergraduate/documents/2015-2016 Financial Aid Guide Revised March 2015.pdf

it says on page 32 that tuition is 55,485, has this changed somewhere else? (or were you including fees?)
Yup that one. I was just including fees for the first year.
when you go to your application portal and click alternate response form, does it say the same thing or something different? thanks
Says the same thing now

Books, supplies, and equipment are basically zero. The only equipment you really need is a stethoscope, and I've spent under $100 on books this year.

plus that stupid laptop fee haha. heard people don't even use those laptops?

plus that stupid laptop fee haha. heard people don't even use those laptops?

A handful of people in my class sold theirs or use something else like a Macbook. The image loaded onto them for our class was a little problematic, and people had problems with them not waking up from sleep properly and stuff like that. If you get the drivers and BIOS updated you're fine. A fair number of people have had problems with the screens. They're good machines, though... long battery life, thin and light, excellent keyboard, fast, etc. I put an SSD in mine (they came with hard drives, inexplicably) and a few classmates'. Much faster with the SSD.

I would never have spent so much on a laptop, but I'm happy I did. I love mine.

Wow, so I guess I missed the first wave of acceptances. Congrats to those accepted. AMC is an awesome school!

i know :( I'm hoping they send it out in waves throughout the day like they did for the waitlist thing last week

Accepted via email this morning!

Accepted this morning too!! Mind. Blown. *cue explosion sound*

Accepted this morning off the alternate list. Withdrew as well - hope one of you gets this acceptance shortly!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if I'll have any trouble receiving Stafford and Grad Plus loans since I'm past the priority deadline?

Is it safe to assume that this morning's wave of acceptances was to fill up the 143 class completely? Now the only way to get accepted is if someone withdraws? It's gonna be a long daunting waiting game haha

yes and i will probably be turning down the acceptance in favo
Is it safe to assume that this morning's wave of acceptances was to fill up the 143 class completely? Now the only way to get accepted is if someone withdraws? It's gonna be a long daunting waiting game haha
Nah I don't think we can assume that... Regardless there will definitely be more open spots. For example, I'm going to withdraw too! If that helps

Dumb question -- did everyone receive the Certiphi background check email after being accepted? I'm trying to figure out if I received that email because of Albany or another school. Thanks!

Dumb question -- did everyone receive the Certiphi background check email after being accepted? I'm trying to figure out if I received that email because of Albany or another school. Thanks!
I got mine this morning. You most likely got it due to Albany.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of as well because it looks like they accepted a lot of people (counting what goes on behind the scenes of this site), but who knows? I think it's basically up to luck at this point. Hopefully, we'll both get in :).

AHHHHHHHHH I just got accepted :D I wasn't even expecting it at all cause I thought they released acceptances every Monday

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
AHHHHHHHHH I just got accepted :D omg first MD acceptance ever!!! I wasn't even expecting it at all cause I thought they released acceptances every Monday
Congrats!

AHHHHHHHHH I just got accepted :D omg first MD acceptance ever!!! I wasn't even expecting it at all cause I thought they released acceptances every Monday

Congrats! Mind posting your stats and when you interviewed?

Just withdrew my acceptance - hope this helps bring someone good news next week! Wishing everyone the best of luck :)

Anyone know how long it takes to get accepted into the fb group? I applied last Thursday and haven't heard anything yet. I figured there's probably valuable info regarding calendar, starting dates, etc. plus tips on finding apartments

Accepted this morning from the alternate list! Interviewed in early April.

Reactions: 3 users
3.8/ 31 (first try was a 29). In-state and I interviewed on April 8th.