2014-2015 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current students circling this thread who would be willing to answer PM questions about on-campus vs. off-campus housing?
I would like a discussion about this as well, i will be living with a significant other who is not a student so I can't utilize the oncampus options.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like a discussion about this as well, i will be living with a significant other who is not a student so I can't utilize the oncampus options.

Are you sure about this? I know of at least one couple who are living in on-campus housing and one of them is not a student.

Are you sure about this? I know of at least one couple who are living in on-campus housing and one of them is not a student.
They told us during our tour that first-years who had a spouse could live in the towers during the first year (not sure if the student's aren't married though). Not 100% sure how accurate this info is.

Members don't see this ad :)
They told us during our tour that first-years who had a spouse could live in the towers during the first year (not sure if the student's aren't married though). Not 100% sure how accurate this info is.
yeah we aren't married yet and won't be by the time first year starts so its a weird situation but thanks for the input!

Are there any current students circling this thread who would be willing to answer PM questions about on-campus vs. off-campus housing?

Although I'm not a current student at P&S, but I've been living in the area for the past many years. I experimented different locations and different methods of rentals and I can say that I've had a fair amount of experiences. You guys all know the benefit of Bard Hall and etc from the tour, so I won't need to talk about them here.

I'm offering my 2 cents regarding off campus housing.

Of all the schools in Manhattan, Columbia offers the least expensive and best off campus housing.

Location wise: On Fort Washington and Haven Ave, between 165 to 173rd. That's less than 5 mins of walk to school. In general, the more towards the west, the quieter/safer/nicer the area. With Haven Ave being the best of all.

Benefit: There are tons of nice prewar buildings offer apartments with large rooms, high ceilings and beautiful wood floor. It's extremely safe--you don't need to think twice going outside pass midnight alone. It's highly accessible to other parts of NYC by train. A/C/1 can take you to almost any place on the west side of Manhattan in under 30mins. There are 3 ZipCar garages around with over two dozens of cars. In the summer, one might take the advantage of $39 deal over night and rent a car at 6:00pm, go watch drive in movie/evening hike in north NJ/NY area. One of the greatest supermarkets in NYC, Fairway market deliver anything you shop there door to door with no limit for $8. You also have all the benefit of Bard Hall, the gym, the public area since it's all so close.

Cost: If you know people, you can get a 1br with two huge rooms to split between 2 people for under $1650. For 2br with 3 rooms total, might be available around $2100. It can be more depending on the management.

Suggestions on how to rent these apartments:

1. Talk to current students. I know at least they took over 4 apartments in my building and many more around. They will just hold on to rent controlled lease for a very very long time and keep on passing it off to future classmates, so the price can be even cheaper. It's not impossible (not easy neither without connection) to find a great room that cost less than $700.

2. Come and phone the super directly. Often times their phone numbers can be found on the side of the building. Bonus if you can speak spanish with them since almost all supers here are from Dominican Republic. Apartments around here tend not to go on Craigslist which is why the apartment has been kept under market price. Sometimes they'd use realtor but as long as you tell them you are willing to pay them half month rent directly, they'd happily drop the realtor for you.

3. Craigslist. Explore the short term rental session where tenants sublease the rooms. Sometimes they say that there is a possibility for you to take over the lease.

Alternatively, you can also look around Riverside Drive between 140th st to 155th. The price is also very competitive, but you only have 1 train access which only does local stop. Still pretty good, some with amazing Hudson views. If you can afford more money or if you in a rush, look beyond 173th st to the north, (but make sure you stay to the west of fort Washington Ave, otherwise in the summer street music will drive you nuts). That's one beautiful area but can be costy.

If you have specific question, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I never got a snail mail waitlist letter. Is everyone supposed to get one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Never got a hardcopy WL letter either. Also...anyone know if there's any chance of WL movement starting before April 30th?

Never got a hardcopy WL letter either. Also...anyone know if there's any chance of WL movement starting before April 30th?

The handout on interview day said that movement is NOT expected to start before April 30th.

Let me answer a question that pops up every year around this time: No, do not show up to the admissions office unanounced and no do not show up to the second look if not invited. You will be politely refused entry and promptly rejected.

Let me answer a question that pops up every year around this time: No, do not show up to the admissions office unanounced and no do not show up to the second look if not invited. You will be politely refused entry and promptly rejected.
omg that would be so scary like stalking the school

Does Columbia offer merit scholarships? If so, is there even the possibility of one if you come off the Waitlist? I'm holding a scholarship at another peer institution and thinking of just withdrawing from the Columbia waitlist if $$$ are not a likely option.

Does Columbia offer merit scholarships? If so, is there even the possibility of one if you come off the Waitlist? I'm holding a scholarship at another peer institution and thinking of just withdrawing from the Columbia waitlist if $$$ are not a likely option.
Never heard of anyone got it and never saw one through my years of MDApp stalking, but rumor has they do exist

I met someone on interview day that had a 50% tuition scholarship, but s/he had been accepted outright and offered money at another Ivy League s/he was heavily considering until P&S offered the money. I'd be surprised if they offered any to waitlisters, just because it's a buyers market from their perspective.

Columbia has merit scholarships. You coming off waitlist doesn't remove the chance of them. Thanks to the long history of the school and diversity of individuals that have graduated in the past/donated, there are a lot of highly specific awards. They have you fill out this packet of information and then process you for anything you qualify for.

Columbia has merit scholarships. You coming off waitlist doesn't remove the chance of them. Thanks to the long history of the school and diversity of individuals that have graduated in the past/donated, there are a lot of highly specific awards. They have you fill out this packet of information and then process you for anything you qualify for.
For people on the waitlist, should we apply for those specific merit scholarships now or wait to be accepted? The paragraph on the app website only mentions the FAFSA and the NeedAccess forms:
"For many of you, financial aid will be a key consideration. We encourage all of you to submit the FAFSA and NeedAccess forms as soon as possible. You can find links to these forms on our Student Financial Planning website: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/MDNewStudent.html"

For people on the waitlist, should we apply for those specific merit scholarships now or wait to be accepted? The paragraph on the app website only mentions the FAFSA and the NeedAccess forms:
"For many of you, financial aid will be a key consideration. We encourage all of you to submit the FAFSA and NeedAccess forms as soon as possible. You can find links to these forms on our Student Financial Planning website: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/MDNewStudent.html"
You don't really apply they just process you, you should do the FAFSA and NeedAccess stuff though, they will send you the rest with your acceptance.

Accepted, but I'm withdrawing! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any pictures of what a typical Bard hall room looks like? I haven't really been able to find any.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any pictures of what a typical Bard hall room looks like? I haven't really been able to find any.
fk1ic5.jpg

Hey guys!

I am a current accepted student at P&S and will be matriculating here. If I am required to withdraw from a class because of a family emergency, and only graduate with one of the two majors I listed on AMCAS because of this reason, do you think it would affect my matriculation here in any way? This would be my first ever W. I looked at the requirements link listed in the admissions tab, and I have completed all the requirements that appear there.

Columbia has always been my dream school, and having something like this happen so soon after getting the great news of acceptance is really unfortunate.

I appreciate all your input, and I thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I am a current accepted student at P&S and will be matriculating here. If I am required to withdraw from a class because of a family emergency, and only graduate with one of the two majors I listed on AMCAS because of this reason, do you think it would affect my matriculation here in any way? This would be my first ever W. I looked at the requirements link listed in the admissions tab, and I have completed all the requirements that appear there.

Columbia has always been my dream school, and having something like this happen so soon after getting the great news of acceptance is really unfortunate.

I appreciate all your input, and I thank you for your time!
I doubt it would be an issue, as I'm sure they didn't accept you just because of your intended double major. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to call admissions and let them know.

Whats a typical aid package here like? What info is needed to be offered an aid package (ie FAFSA, Need Access, and aid type form as minimums) or does EVERYTHING need to be in before a package is made for you? Also, how early are packages awarded?

I imagine only accepted or waitlisted students are checking this thread by now, but did anyone else receive an email about applying for Columbia P&S's one year MS in nutrition program this fall? Columbia didn't even give me an interview, and now it seems like they're assuming I didn't get in anywhere. :yeahright:

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for all your help answering these questions. Does Columbia match merit scholarships? Also who would be a good person/office to contact with these questions?

Thanks for all your help answering these questions. Does Columbia match merit scholarships? Also who would be a good person/office to contact with these questions?

They don't match them always but yes there have been cases. I'd probably start with the financial aid office.

Does anyone have the 2015 match list? I haven't been able to find it yet.

Was just now posted in the Allopathic forum:

COLUMBIA P&S

Anesthesiology

BWH
BWH
Columbia
Columbia
Einstein/Montefiore
Northwestern

Dermatology
Columbia
George Washington
NYU
U Colorado

Emergency Medicine
Einstein/Jacobi
Icahn SOM St Lukes/Roosevelt
NY Methodist
NYPH/ Columbia & Cornell
NYU
Temple
U Connecticut
U Pitt
USC

Family Medicine
U Colorado
UNC

Internal Medicine
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Einstein/Montefiore
Einstein/Montefiore
McMaster
MGH
MGH
MGH
NYU
UCLA
UCSF
UPenn
UPenn
UTSW
Vanderbilt
Yale

Medicine-Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins
UPenn

Neurosurgery
Columbia
Columbia
Northwestern
UPenn

Neurology
Columbia
Columbia
Stanford

OB/Gyn
BWH
Columbia
Cristiana Care
NYU
U Maryland
Yale

Ophthalmology
Columbia
Columbia
Duke
MEEI
Suny Upstate
UCI
UPenn
UT Houston
UT Houston

OMS
Columbia
Columbia

Oral Pathology
Columbia

Orthopedic Surgery
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
HSS
MGH
Naval Med Center-San Diego
U Iowa
U Miami
U Toronto
U Washington
USC

Otolaryngology
Johns Hopkins
NYPH/Columbia & Cornell
NYU
U Cincinnati
UTSW
Wayne State

Pathology
Columbia
MGH
Stanford
U Chicago

Pediatric Neurology
Stanford

Pediatrics
Boston Childrens
Boston Childrens
Children’s Hospital LA
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
MGH
NYU
Stanford
U Pitt
Vanderbilt

PM&R
NYPH/Columbia & Cornell
NYPH/Columbia & Cornell
NYPH/Columbia & Cornell
NYPH/Columbia & Cornell

Plastic Surgery
Duke
NYU
USC

Psychiatry
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Georgetown
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai
NYU
NYU
UCSF
UCSF

Radiation Oncology
NYU
Rutgers/Robert Wood Johnson

Radiology – Diagnostic
Columbia
Cornell

Surgery – General
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Naval Med Center - San Diego
Yale

Surgery – Thoracic
Stanford

Urology
Columbia
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Lahey Clinic
MGH
U Michigan
U Minnesota
U Oklahoma

Question for those who applied this cycle:

With regard to the secondary question "What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them?", did you interpret the essay as asking what challenges realting to MEDICINE/HEALTHCARE does NYC present (e.g., language barriers make it hard to communicate with patients)? Or, are they just looking for what challenges come from living in NYC for you (e.g., distractions)

In other words, I am unsure about the extent to which (if any) I should tie medicine into the answer.

With regard to the secondary question "What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them?", did you interpret the essay as asking what challenges realting to MEDICINE/HEALTHCARE does NYC present (e.g., language barriers make it hard to communicate with patients)? Or, are they just looking for what challenges come from living in NYC for you (e.g., distractions)

In other words, I am unsure about the extent to which (if any) I should tie medicine into the answer.

I don't think you have to tie medicine into that response. I'm pretty sure I didn't. Language barriers is a good topic. I honestly think "distractions" is a weak answer ... There are distractions everywhere and obviously you're not gonna spend all day shopping and partying downtown.

I don't think you have to tie medicine into that response. I'm pretty sure I didn't. Language barriers is a good topic. I honestly think "distractions" is a weak answer ... There are distractions everywhere and obviously you're not gonna spend all day shopping and partying downtown.

Oh, I definitely agree! I was just putting something out there (didn't want to give away my "ammo" :) )

You don't need to tie medicine into it at all. I didn't

Also, for anyone else: Is financial aid released exactly on April 15th or is it released before? I asked and they just keep saying "by April 15th"

You don't need to tie medicine into it at all. I didn't

Also, for anyone else: Is financial aid released exactly on April 15th or is it released before? I asked and they just keep saying "by April 15th"

I asked and was told that they are trying to release it by second look (April 10th).