-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those also WL, did you try to send your decision yet? I tried to email the address they told us to and it failed
Is this the official group?Best of luck to those who haven't heard good news. Don't be discouraged! The cycle isn't over yet. For those who are attending in the fall or WL'ed, you should join this FB page so we can get to know each other a little. https://www.facebook.com/groups/954238077934139/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this the official group?
No, it's not. I couldn't find any official ones for previous years so I just made one.
Same lol, you have to email medadm AT mc.duke.edu, not just medadm AT duke.edu.
See above.For those also WL, did you try to send your decision yet? I tried to email the address they told us to and it failed
If it makes you feel better. When I applied this application season, I called before I submit the secondary to ask them about their cell bio-pre-req. I had one bio degree oversea, another bio degree here and about a decade of research in cell bio. I had done this with other schools before and everyone was very affirmative and supportive. The dean of Yale even chatted with me over the phone, seemed like just because he enjoyed talking to people.Not applying but I called the Office of Admissions to inquire about their cell bio pre-req and the assistant who picked up the phone sounded extremely tired... must have been an extremely tough time from their end as well.
However, when I called Duke, before I can explain what I have, the lady (presumably the same lady) said, "do you have a course with cell bio in the title?" "No? then for sure you don't qualify to apply!" I tried to explain (that although not a singular course was titled cell bio, but I had two upper level bio courses taken in the US that would more than cover the ground for cellular bio) and asked her about if I can take it later or something.
But before I could say anything, she hang up on me abruptly. With no goodbye or anything.
So I didn't apply to duke. but then I felt like I shouldn't just give up so easily for Duke was such a popular destination for many applicants I know. So I emailed the dean Wallace with the details of the courses I've taken and even attached syllabus. He was shocked that I even feel like asking and told me that "of course him and the committee would be okay with me satisfying the cell bio requirement given my background and my MCAT Bio section (15)" and he said I definitely SHOULD apply and asked me to be kept him informed when I submit my secondary.
Too bad he left his post a couple weeks later. My app for Duke was screening status all the way to the bitter end. Then I was rejected twice with emails.
I'm exceedingly happy with my cycles so far with full scholarship to dream school. But I felt like telling this story to make it part of this funny history.
Does anyone, and current students in particular, know anything about the waitlist? Ranked/Unranked? How big it is? If they consider LOIs/upates seriously?
And how many people they take off the waitlist every year?
Are you sure "mc"? The Waitlist email came from "DM" for me. Thanks either way. I'm frustrated with all of this ha.Same lol, you have to email medadm AT mc.duke.edu, not just medadm AT duke.edu.
Long-term lurker here--I also haven't heard yet... no emails.
Long-term lurker here--I also haven't heard yet... no emails.
Same here...
Given the number of us who haven't received emails I'm inclined to think that there's just another batch of rejection emails waiting to go out. I'm from NC and haven't received a letter when people in Boston already have.
Is it the same letter, or is there different content?Um, so I just got another acceptance letter (postmarked Feb 28)...after I already received one yesterday (postmarked Feb 27). Did anyone else receive a second letter? What does this even mean lol.
Um, so I just got another acceptance letter (postmarked Feb 28)...after I already received one yesterday (postmarked Feb 27). Did anyone else receive a second letter? What does this even mean lol.
I really hope this is a one-person fluke so Duke can leave this decision period with some dignity...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it the same letter, or is there different content?
It's mostly the same, with the intent form, instruction form etc. Except the acceptance letter was slightly shorter than the first one. I'm just paranoid. Did they accept me by accident? I even checked the name to make sure it was mine haha.
Edit: Also, on the first one, my address on the envelope was handwritten while the second one had a printed out sticker. I wonder if this just means two separate people prepared them.
Last edited:
It's mostly the same, with the intent form, instruction form etc. Except the acceptance letter was slightly shorter than the first one. I'm just paranoid. Did they accept me by accident? I even checked the name to make sure it was mine haha.
Dude they didn't accept you; they double-accepted you. You're that great.
Lol on that note, I'm sorry some of you guys had to go through this excruciating wait only for WL or rejection, wish I could spread the wealth. To be honest, when I first saw the second letter, I thought it was a apology letter saying they accepted me by accident and for me to disregard first letter and phone call lol.So some people never got their decision after nearly 10 days. Some people were accepted 3 times (phone+email+email).
Lol on that note, I'm sorry some of you guys had to go through this excruciating wait only for WL or rejection, wish I could spread the wealth. To be honest, when I first saw the second letter, I thought it was a apology letter saying they accepted me by accident and for me to disregard first letter and phone call lol.
They must really want you lol. Do both letters say the acceptance is conditional?
They must really want you lol. Do both letters say the acceptance is conditional?
Well I didn't read the word "conditional", but it did say if I get C+ or below on my final semester I would need to explain.
Well I didn't read the word "conditional", but it did say if I get C+ or below on my final semester I would need to explain.
Okay, thanks. Thank God the season is winding down.
Okay, thanks. Thank God the season is winding down.
Pretty done with this entire process...
Also from NC and haven't gotten a letter. It doesn't make sense that they have another whole batch just waiting to press "send" on (that appears to be much smaller than the first, based on the relatively few people who haven't heard anything yet) - my guess would be that they are still deliberating for us, whether between accept and WL or WL and reject. Here's to hoping it's the former!Given the number of us who haven't received emails I'm inclined to think that there's just another batch of rejection emails waiting to go out. I'm from NC and haven't received a letter when people in Boston already have.
So I just called and apparently your portal would be updated if you were accepted. Can anyone who has been accepted confirm that?
Got a call last week and a letter yesterday. Portal still says "Application Complete."
Also from NC and haven't gotten a letter. It doesn't make sense that they have another whole batch just waiting to press "send" on (that appears to be much smaller than the first, based on the relatively few people who haven't heard anything yet) - my guess would be that they are still deliberating for us, whether between accept and WL or WL and reject. Here's to hoping it's the former!
That would be the logical explanation, but Duke doesn't seem to like logic, reason or predictability. They could be doing anything with our files right now for all we know.
Last edited:
They've already surrendered the last of that lolI really hope this is a one-person fluke so Duke can leave this decision period with some dignity...
And the roller coaster of emotions continues...That would be the logical explanation, but Duke doesn't seem to like logic, reason or predictability. They could be doing anything with our files right now for all we know.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There will be no acceptance emails per the admissions office.So there have been zero acceptance confirming emails to date?
So I haven't received anything at all, what if I by some chance happened to have gotten accepted and the mailman ate my letter? I'll never know... this is insanity.There will be no acceptance emails per the admissions office.
maybe call and ask them what's your decision, if determined?So I haven't received anything at all, what if I by some chance happened to have gotten accepted and the mailman ate my letter? I'll never know... this is insanity.
So I had the mc address in my contacts already and sent it there, didn't realize that the email came from the dm address. I guess I'll call tomorrow to make sure they got it?Are you sure "mc"? The Waitlist email came from "DM" for me. Thanks either way. I'm frustrated with all of this ha.
So I haven't received anything at all, what if I by some chance happened to have gotten accepted and the mailman ate my letter? I'll never know... this is insanity.
i'm in the same boat as you! rooting for us!! 👍👍
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!i'm in the same boat as you! rooting for us!! 👍👍
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
What's the general consensus on this? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
I actually got an email from a PCLT student saying direct quote "Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school at Duke!" So I want to assume it's a good thing. Although considering how disorganized this has been, I wouldn't be surprised if that email was an error.What's the general consensus on this? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
I hope its good news, but given the cray level of this process I wouldn't be surprised if its an error either.I actually got an email from a PCLT student saying direct quote "Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school at Duke!" So I want to assume it's a good thing. Although considering how disorganized this has been, I wouldn't be surprised if that email was an error.
Anybody in the west get an acceptance via snail mail yet?
WL earlier in the day. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to everyone who is on the wait list. 🙂
Does anyone, and current students in particular, know anything about the waitlist? Ranked/Unranked? How big it is? If they consider LOIs/upates seriously?
So unfortunately I can't comment on the size or status (ranked, etc.) of the waitlist, as I really just don't know. But, I can tell you all again that a large number of students in our MS1 class came off the waitlist - I think in large part due to the conservative number of initial acceptances given out.
I personally did send in an update (with pretty strong intent language in it) after being waitlisted, and hey it ended up working for me. I don't think it would hurt, and if you have strong updates it is definitely worth it!
I'm really sorry this whole process has been such a nightmare this year. I suspect with our admissions crew being switched up mid-cycle that this was due to the new group going through this for the first time.
As always I'm open to answering any questions you all may have.
Congrats to those accepted! To people on the WL -- don't lose hope!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any idea about people who haven't heard anything at all so far?So unfortunately I can't comment on the size or status (ranked, etc.) of the waitlist, as I really just don't know. But, I can tell you all again that a large number of students in our MS1 class came off the waitlist - I think in large part due to the conservative number of initial acceptances given out.
I personally did send in an update (with pretty strong intent language in it) after being waitlisted, and hey it ended up working for me. I don't think it would hurt, and if you have strong updates it is definitely worth it!
I'm really sorry this whole process has been such a nightmare this year. I suspect with our admissions crew being switched up mid-cycle that this was due to the new group going through this for the first time.
As always I'm open to answering any questions you all may have.
Congrats to those accepted! To people on the WL -- don't lose hope!
I received that exact same email but have yet to hear anything else. No letter eitherI actually got an email from a PCLT student saying direct quote "Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school at Duke!" So I want to assume it's a good thing. Although considering how disorganized this has been, I wouldn't be surprised if that email was an error.
Do you have any idea about people who haven't heard anything at all so far?
Unfortunately I don't.
I personally don't have any connection with the admissions office aside from knowing some of the people who are on the committee.
Sorry I can't be of more help!
Be sure to let me know when you do. Or post here. I'll likely see that as well ha.So I had the mc address in my contacts already and sent it there, didn't realize that the email came from the dm address. I guess I'll call tomorrow to make sure they got it?
@Duke2018, @GoBlueDevils @SpikeWave , could any of you give us info on your entering class profile? Specifically, what percentage of the class is non-traditional or what the median starting age was? I haven't found this info online. Many thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K