2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At week 19 of "Decision Pending", just sent in an update an Letter of Interest with both Dr. C and Cr. B copied. See if that does anything.

Anyone have anymore info on the recent pre-interview rejections? Is this a new thing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1st post here, I have an II with this school scheduled for 2/4, I'm very worried that because its so late, i'm only interviewing here for a waitlist spot with no chance for acceptance.

Does anyone know whether Sidney Kimmel Medical College is one of the schools that does this?
 
1st post here, I have an II with this school scheduled for 2/4, I'm very worried that because its so late, i'm only interviewing here for a waitlist spot with no chance for acceptance.

Does anyone know whether Sidney Kimmel Medical College is one of the schools that does this?

Nope, Jeff isn't one of those schools. They specifically told us during interview day that no matter when you interview, you have an equal chance of being accepted. That's why a lot of people who interview earlier in the cycle get the HPWL status - they want to hold spots for people who interview later. Then after the cycle is over the HPWL gets a lot of movement.
 
"special" high priority waitlist a few minutes ago (no idea what the special means if anything, but my mind is certainly having fun with them using that word haha). Not ideal, but if it's meant to be it'll happen eventually. Until then, fingers crossed 🙂
 
Yeah I'm writing another update letter to schools this weekend.

Edit: Having such a hard time not rehashing what I've written about the school. I feel like just mentioning what I've done since last contact is silly right? They've already seen my app? I feel like I need to justify why I want to interview.

Oy...
 
Last edited:
Do you think it is a good idea to send an update even if you haven't done much? I've been complete since september. This a top school for me but my stats are a lot higher than their averages so I'm afraid that they think I'm not interested in their school. I'm tempted to send them an update just to basically let them know that 4-5 months later I am still very interested in their school. I want to basically just tell them that.....and maybe send my grades from last semester and that I was a TA again....but haven't done any volunteering or shadowing since being complete....been so busy...so idk if this will help or hurt me...any opinions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think it is a good idea to send an update even if you haven't done much? I've been complete since september. This a top school for me but my stats are a lot higher than their averages so I'm afraid that they think I'm not interested in their school. I'm tempted to send them an update just to basically let them know that 4-5 months later I am still very interested in their school. I want to basically just tell them that.....and maybe send my grades from last semester and that I was a TA again....but haven't done any volunteering or shadowing since being complete....been so busy...so idk if this will help or hurt me...any opinions?

Personally, I think new grades alone are a legitimate reason to send an update. Just cram anything else you've done in there too and then end with a short paragraph about how interested you are and how Jefferson is one of your top choices. Sending them an interest letter certainly won't hurt you unless you don't proofread it. Jefferson seems highly receptive to updates and letters of interest in general and they encourage you on the interview day to send them as long as you aren't just saying the same thing every week.
 
Personally, I think new grades alone are a legitimate reason to send an update. Just cram anything else you've done in there too and then end with a short paragraph about how interested you are and how Jefferson is one of your top choices. Sending them an interest letter certainly won't hurt you unless you don't proofread it. Jefferson seems highly receptive to updates and letters of interest in general and they encourage you on the interview day to send them as long as you aren't just saying the same thing every week.
Alright. That is good advice. I'll do it. Thanks.
 
Anybody hear from Jeff today? Today marks my one week after interview, haven't received a phone call/email, so I'm worried I'll receive an unpleasant email tomorrow... I've read that phone calls go out Wed and emails for waitlist on Thurs - is this true?
 
Anybody hear from Jeff today? Today marks my one week after interview, haven't received a phone call/email, so I'm worried I'll receive an unpleasant email tomorrow... I've read that phone calls go out Wed and emails for waitlist on Thurs - is this true?

I've heard people getting a HPWL email on Wed, so it doesn't always happen on Thurs. Also, I interviewed Dec 17th and still haven't heard back. Some people I interviewed with heard back the first week of Jan due to the holiday. Hearing back after a week or two seems to be common but it can take longer if your interviewer hasn't submitted his/her evaluation to the committee.

To everyone else, should I assume that my interviewer hasn't submitted his eval yet? I know I should account for the holiday, but it's been 5 weeks so I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping this isn't a bad sign.
 
I've heard people getting a HPWL email on Wed, so it doesn't always happen on Thurs. Also, I interviewed Dec 17th and still haven't heard back. Some people I interviewed with heard back the first week of Jan due to the holiday. Hearing back after a week or two seems to be common but it can take longer if your interviewer hasn't submitted his/her evaluation to the committee.

To everyone else, should I assume that my interviewer hasn't submitted his eval yet? I know I should account for the holiday, but it's been 5 weeks so I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping this isn't a bad sign.

The thing is, all the students I've talked to told me that my interviewer goes to EVERY adcom meeting - thus if there is no phone call yet I'm a little wary. Maybe she couldn't make it this week, who knows?
 
People miss meetings, time runs out to discuss applicants, things happen. No news is not bad news. You'll hear soon enough. There's no use over-analyzing and psyching yourself out.

Yeah I guess you're right. Thanks for your calming presence 🙂

I'm going to go study or something..:ninja:
 
@Doctor Strange, honest opinion. Haven't gotten a pre-ii rejection, been complete since late August, sent an update. Obviously it's already end of January, are they even sending out more invites?
 
so when should we expect to see hpwl activity?
May ish.
@Doctor Strange, honest opinion. Haven't gotten a pre-ii rejection, been complete since late August, sent an update. Obviously it's already end of January, are they even sending out more invites?
I don't know, but I do know that we interview all the way through April. I know people that interviewed the last possible day and we're accepted the following week.
 
Anybody hear from Jeff today? Today marks my one week after interview, haven't received a phone call/email, so I'm worried I'll receive an unpleasant email tomorrow... I've read that phone calls go out Wed and emails for waitlist on Thurs - is this true?

I got my acceptance call on Friday, not Wednesday. So... it varies? (isn't that reassuring :eyebrow:)
 
I got my acceptance call on Friday, not Wednesday. So... it varies? (isn't that reassuring :eyebrow:)

😱 Wow, seriously?! This cycle? I guess I'm going to have to carry my phone with me everywhere and make sure it's charged at all times :nailbiting: (I don't have voicemail on my phone plan, nor caller ID)

Congrats on the acceptance btw! 🙂
 
😱 Wow, seriously?! This cycle? I guess I'm going to have to carry my phone with me everywhere and make sure it's charged at all times :nailbiting: (I don't have voicemail on my phone plan, nor caller ID)

Congrats on the acceptance btw! 🙂

old_cell_phone.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL! Hey, here in Canada (i)-phone plans are hella expensive! I have 50 min talk, 1GB data for $45/month! (and that's with a 'cheaper' company)
Gotta switch to Wind, man! Unlimited talk/text, 5GB $40/month. AWFUL coverage, though
 
May ish.

I don't know, but I do know that we interview all the way through April. I know people that interviewed the last possible day and we're accepted the following week.

Shouldn't it be earlier this year because the deadline to give up multiple acceptances has been moved from May 15th to April 30th? I hope...
 
Have any accepted students gotten an email about the background checks? I know it's not a big deal I'm just curious.
 
I wonder if I should email them. How long did it take after acceptance for you to get that email?
About 1 week between acceptance and the email, it is possible the certiphi email is for a different school as it doesn't specify which school is requesting the information, but to my knowledge it is the only school i have been accepted at so far that use certiphi.
 
Is there a class of 2019 page?

Also, is the CERTIPHI background check through the AAMC?
 
So the interview email says that the interview ends no later than 4, does this include cookie hour? I am trying to figure out my flight back home and want to make sure I can stay for the whole time!
 
So the interview email says that the interview ends no later than 4, does this include cookie hour? I am trying to figure out my flight back home and want to make sure I can stay for the whole time!

cookie hour is 3-4 i believe but you don't need to stay the whole time, most people were leaving around 3:30ish.
 
@Doctor Strange Do you know if interviews over the next few days are going to have to be rescheduled? This upcoming Nor'easter sounds like it's going to be the destroyer of worlds.
 
Has anyone called to find out who their interviewer will be? Not sure if it's a good idea or not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Doctor Strange Do you know if interviews over the next few days are going to have to be rescheduled? This upcoming Nor'easter sounds like it's going to be the destroyer of worlds.
Like Dr. Strange said, we'll know more once we get closer. Snow projections have lightened dramatically in Philly (3-6" tomorrow last I checked), but they cancelled morning lecture tomorrow just in case.

They're acting like interviews will go on, it seems. We got emails about student interviews and giving tours.
 
So if one is alternate-listed, is that not the same as high priority wait list?

At my interview they said the wait list wasn't ranked, so I thought it wasn't such a bad thing... now I'm thinking that I might have have bombed the interview or something. I had that sinking feeling when I left the room that I just hadn't connected well with my interviewer.

This is number 1 or 2 on my list of schools where I've interviewed. I was hopeful because the alternate category email made it sound like a lot of people get off the alternate list, but if there's all these people already ranked-but-not-ranked above me, then maybe I shouldn't be so hopeful.

This has been such a neurotic year for me. I'm sure I'll be happy wherever I end up because all these schools I've interviewed at seem really great. Jefferson was one of my favorites though.
 
So if one is alternate-listed, is that not the same as high priority wait list?

At my interview they said the wait list wasn't ranked, so I thought it wasn't such a bad thing... now I'm thinking that I might have have bombed the interview or something. I had that sinking feeling when I left the room that I just hadn't connected well with my interviewer.

This is number 1 or 2 on my list of schools where I've interviewed. I was hopeful because the alternate category email made it sound like a lot of people get off the alternate list, but if there's all these people already ranked-but-not-ranked above me, then maybe I shouldn't be so hopeful.

This has been such a neurotic year for me. I'm sure I'll be happy wherever I end up because all these schools I've interviewed at seem really great. Jefferson was one of my favorites though.

I don't think anyone really knows whether the waitlists are ranked or not.

There are two waitlists though. The "high priority wait list" and the "alternate waitlist". It's not impossible to get in off of either but you're chances are much improved on the HPWL. Traditionally, 1/3 of the incoming class (of ~260) get in off the waitlist(s).

Make sure to keep them updated and let them know how much you like the school.. and just wait it out.