You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
oen of my friends has been :-/sorry if this has been said many times--has jefferson rejected preinterview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any interview invites recently? It seems quiet...
II last night!
II last night!
Congrats! Mind sharing complete date? stats?
Congrats! May I ask what interview dates are still available? Thank you!II last night!
Has anyone that has been accepted received the financial aid email yet?
NopeHas anyone that has been accepted received the financial aid email yet?
I don't think anyone really knows whether the waitlists are ranked or not.
There are two waitlists though. The "high priority wait list" and the "alternate waitlist". It's not impossible to get in off of either but you're chances are much improved on the HPWL. Traditionally, 1/3 of the incoming class (of ~260) get in off the waitlist(s).
Make sure to keep them updated and let them know how much you like the school.. and just wait it out.
Thanks for the response! I will be sure to at least try to get into Jefferson by sending a letter of interest and maybe a recommendation letter or two. But knowing now that there are 2 wait lists, I'm putting more hope in my other top choice school, which I should hear back from this week. I'd rather not have to wait until the month before graduation to know where I'm going. It would be nice to know already so that I can take off work and do something interesting with that summer, rather than spend it worrying about where I'm going to end up. Ah, well, beggars can't be choosers.
There is a big luck component to this admissions process. I just didn't 'click' well with my interviewer at Jefferson - we had close to nothing in common. At the school where I've received an acceptance, my interviewer was like my clone ten years in the future. Seriously, we were practically finishing each other's sentences.
Thank you for all your advice in this thread. It's really nice of current medical students to contribute so much to SDN's premed forum.
[email protected]I have an update to send into Jefferson and want to also CC Dr. Brooks and Callahan but am having a difficult time finding their email addresses. Can someone either PM me their emails or point me in the right direction?
I'm giving up hope for here. It's feb. I did get a II from another school on friday so maybe all isn't lost, but I've sent updates over the last bit with notable developments and nothing has happened whereas other people I know have sent them and received emails from the deans in the next few hours saying that they'll get an interview asap. I'm not sure what it is that I'm 'lacking' vis a vis what they're looking for but so it goes.
I'm lucky to have been accepted already so not really complaining, but I'd go to jeff in a heartbeat over albany so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I suppose but gotdang what do they want from me!
I'm lucky to have been accepted already so not really complaining, but I'd go to jeff in a heartbeat over albany so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I suppose but gotdang what do they want from me!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm giving up hope for here. It's feb. I did get a II from another school on friday so maybe all isn't lost, but I've sent updates over the last bit with notable developments and nothing has happened whereas other people I know have sent them and received emails from the deans in the next few hours saying that they'll get an interview asap. I'm not sure what it is that I'm 'lacking' vis a vis what they're looking for but so it goes.
I'm lucky to have been accepted already so not really complaining, but I'd go to jeff in a heartbeat over albany so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I suppose but gotdang what do they want from me!
I seriously would not lose hope. Jefferson is one of the few schools that *actively* interviews until the end of April. At the interview day they told us every wednesday until the end of April that ~30 applicants are interviewed and that in general, 50% of those applicants are accepted, and the other are wait listed (and rarely, but still possibly, rejected). Keep sending updates and interest letters if you are genuinely interested. This is one of those schools where the timing of your interview means little. Definitely prepare for the worst (as everyone should), but don't throw in the towel unless you see a rejection email!
I seriously would not lose hope. Jefferson is one of the few schools that *actively* interviews until the end of April. At the interview day they told us every wednesday until the end of April that ~30 applicants are interviewed and that in general, 50% of those applicants are accepted, and the other are wait listed (and rarely, but still possibly, rejected). Keep sending updates and interest letters if you are genuinely interested. This is one of those schools where the timing of your interview means little. Definitely prepare for the worst (as everyone should), but don't throw in the towel unless you see a rejection email!
I'm really not sure what it takes. I've been offered interviews at more selective institutions as well, but no bites from Jeff. I'm not really sure why an application that they've had for over 6 months will suddenly pop out of the blue.
Going to have to agree with @Rumor13 on this one. From what it sounds like I think you might be over-analyzing it too much (On SDN?!? Never! 😉). Keep at the update letters!I'm really not sure what it takes. I've been offered interviews at more selective institutions as well, but no bites from Jeff. I'm not really sure why an application that they've had for over 6 months will suddenly pop out of the blue.
I'm really not sure what it takes. I've been offered interviews at more selective institutions as well, but no bites from Jeff. I'm not really sure why an application that they've had for over 6 months will suddenly pop out of the blue.
Let's be honest, no one knows "what it takes". If there was a set magic formula that guaranteed acceptance, we'd all follow it to a tee. Remember, its not all about stats, it is also largely about fit. You could be the most fantastic applicant the world has ever seen, but if a school does not believe you would fit in or be as happy as you could be there, then an acceptance is unlikely. At this point, it is out of your control an all you can do is continue to express interest and keep them updated. Just remember, the last acceptance that Jefferson sends out in April likely went to someone who was complete 8-10 months prior! And that acceptance is no less meaningful than the very first phone call the school made. Best advice I can give, keep your chin up and hope for the best!
I know this just seems like another excuse, but you have no idea how difficult it is to choose just short of 1000 applicants to interview out of a pool of over 10,000.
Just wanted to say that I sent a letter of interest at the beginning of Jan and was recently offered an interview. Thanks Doctor Strange for your advice these past few months; I'm not sure I would've known they were very receptive to LOIs if you hadn't advised it!
I'm giving up hope for here. It's feb. I did get a II from another school on friday so maybe all isn't lost, but I've sent updates over the last bit with notable developments and nothing has happened whereas other people I know have sent them and received emails from the deans in the next few hours saying that they'll get an interview asap. I'm not sure what it is that I'm 'lacking' vis a vis what they're looking for but so it goes.
I'm lucky to have been accepted already so not really complaining, but I'd go to jeff in a heartbeat over albany so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I suppose but gotdang what do they want from me!
Keep the faith! I have a friend in the class who didn't get her interview until the veeeeeeeery last slot (and didn't find out until 2 week in advance) and was put on HPWL and got the call the day of her college graduation that she got in. I understand it can be frustrating, but this is a weird, weird process.
Just wait til the match! The computer gets to decide where you will spend the next few years of your life. Only lunatics would put up with this.
I know this just seems like another excuse, but you have no idea how difficult it is to choose just short of 1000 applicants to interview out of a pool of over 10,000.
But.. but.. but...
I'm awesome!
But.. but.. but...
I'm awesome!
Hahaha aren't we all? 😉
But on a serious note don't feel too bad about struggling to be optimistic. It can be pretty hard sometimes. At this point I have kind of chosen to be neither optimistic or pessimistic and just try my best to be indifferent with regards to the months of silence I am hearing from the overwhelming majority of schools I applied to (including Jeff). If I don't get any response then okay, it just didn't work out in my favor this year and I did my best. If I do hear positive news, well then that is a pleasant surprise. If you know that being a doctor is what you want then you will get there and the stress of this whole process will seem trivial by the end.
Hi everyone! I'm a current MS1 at Jeff and wanted to mention that I didn't get an interview here until March, so there is still ::some:: hope. If you've been doing awesome things in the application year definitely let the admissions office know!
What day(s) of the week does jefferson do interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine is on a Wednesday.What day(s) of the week does jefferson do interviews?
All interviews are on Wednesday.What day(s) of the week does jefferson do interviews?
All interviews are on Wednesday.
Ugh that kinda blows. I was going to send an ITA email since I had to go to PA for something, but middle of the week is such an awkward time. Oh well.
I just submitted an ITA yesterday since I found out I'll be in Philly first week of March. This is in addition to the LOI i sent top of the year. Overkill, probably. But worth a shot.Ugh that kinda blows. I was going to send an ITA email since I had to go to PA for something, but middle of the week is such an awkward time. Oh well.
I just submitted an ITA yesterday since I found out I'll be in Philly first week of March. This is in addition to the LOI i sent top of the year. Overkill, probably. But worth a shot.
Yeah, I have to go home to care of some stuff, so I might as well get that ball rolling and send the ITA anyway. I'll take care of it next week.
Let me know if you hear anything back!
Got an II just now! I had withdrawn a lot of applications after my first acceptance but kept mine in at Jeff because I live in Philly and figured "what the heck?" That was a few months ago and I figured Jeff wasn't interested in me as an applicant since it had been so long. I'd thought they'd even finished interviewing at this point. I also thought I was done interviewing but I guess not 😉
Got an II just now! I had withdrawn a lot of applications after my first acceptance but kept mine in at Jeff because I live in Philly and figured "what the heck?" That was a few months ago and I figured Jeff wasn't interested in me as an applicant since it had been so long. I'd thought they'd even finished interviewing at this point. I also thought I was done interviewing but I guess not 😉
jealoussssssss. congrats! you just got it at this hour? strange
Jefferson put on such an incredible interview day. Is it possible to be in love with a med school? Either way, here's to hoping for a quick decision!
Love to hear that! I really like how Jefferson does interview day. Hope you liked the tour 😀
jealoussssssss. congrats! you just got it at this hour? strange
Yeah, they send them out at weird hours. I got mine at 11:30 pm last year
Accepted today, interviewed mid Jan.
Congrats! If you have any questions, there are a few of us here that are more than willing to answer.
I would like to write a little thank-you note to my interviewer but I don't want to come off as trying to score points for acceptance (I haven't received word about my decision yet). Should I just wait until after I hear back from them?
I know that these notes mean nothing on the admissions level. but I was truly impressed by the friendliness at the school and im only doing this out of wanting to be friendly in return.
tl;dr want to write thank you note but scared interviewer will take it wrong way esp. considering they haven't made a decision on my app yet - how to go about it?
I know that these notes mean nothing on the admissions level. but I was truly impressed by the friendliness at the school and im only doing this out of wanting to be friendly in return.
tl;dr want to write thank you note but scared interviewer will take it wrong way esp. considering they haven't made a decision on my app yet - how to go about it?
Thank you notes are a common courtesy. They're nice and nobody will think anything of it.I would like to write a little thank-you note to my interviewer but I don't want to come off as trying to score points for acceptance (I haven't received word about my decision yet). Should I just wait until after I hear back from them?
I know that these notes mean nothing on the admissions level. but I was truly impressed by the friendliness at the school and im only doing this out of wanting to be friendly in return.
tl;dr want to write thank you note but scared interviewer will take it wrong way esp. considering they haven't made a decision on my app yet - how to ho about it?
Question for current students: Does Jefferson have any Global Health tracks or opportunities? Saw plenty of info on the website about population health but couldn't find any specifically on global health.
i.e. Are there any opportunities during the summer between M1 and M2 to travel for global health initiatives?
i.e. Are there any opportunities during the summer between M1 and M2 to travel for global health initiatives?
Canadian students, have heard anything back from the school? I've been at "Decision Pending" since 10/22.
Same. Complete 9/4 and "Decision Pending" ever since.
Canadian students, have heard anything back from the school? I've been at "Decision Pending" since 10/22.
Same. Complete 9/4 and "Decision Pending" ever since.
I'm an American student, but I have been at "Decision pending" since late August. I sent an update a while ago and then sent a letter of interest about 3 weeks ago, but still nothing. Anyone else like this? Should I even expect to hear anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
+1I'm an American student, but I have been at "Decision pending" since late August. I sent an update a while ago and then sent a letter of interest about 3 weeks ago, but still nothing. Anyone else like this? Should I even expect to hear anything?
I know quite a few of my classmates that have gone overseas between M1 and M2. There are limited grant funds that you can apply for, but the majority of the costs will have to come from personal sources.Question for current students: Does Jefferson have any Global Health tracks or opportunities? Saw plenty of info on the website about population health but couldn't find any specifically on global health.
i.e. Are there any opportunities during the summer between M1 and M2 to travel for global health initiatives?
Just got the acceptance call!! Interviewed Jan 28
@Doctor Strange @Jepstein30 @FlyEaglesFly55 Could you guys by any chance comment on the large class size? I'm super happy to have been accepted and while I like a lot of things about Jefferson, I am a little hesitant about the class size that is almost double that of other schools I am considering. Besides the general class feel, I am more specifically wondering if it becomes an issue when scheduling rotations and doing other things during the clinical years? Are there any particular things you like or don't like about it? Do you feel that it is harder to get attention from advisors or other faculty? Thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K