You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Accepted today via call from Dr. Callahan! Super excited. Jeff put on one of my favorite interview days!
What interview dates were available for you to choose from?Got an II just now! I had withdrawn a lot of applications after my first acceptance but kept mine in at Jeff because I live in Philly and figured "what the heck?" That was a few months ago and I figured Jeff wasn't interested in me as an applicant since it had been so long. I'd thought they'd even finished interviewing at this point. I also thought I was done interviewing but I guess not 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What interview dates were available for you to choose from?
I didn't get to choose. My interview was scheduled for 3/4 and they said that if I was unable to make it, they would try to work with me to reschedule but couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to.
I didn't get to choose. My interview was scheduled for 3/4 and they said that if I was unable to make it, they would try to work with me to reschedule but couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to.
So it looks like they're pretty close to done at this point, huh. Balls.
Can anyone speak to what the interview day was like/the general vibe at Jeff? Interviewing soon.
current students: what pros/cons have you discovered to the different housing options (2 on campus apt style vs. on campus dorm vs. off campus). I do not think I am someone that could go back to the dorm living of my freshman UG days...it seems like barringer and orlowitz halls are pretty nice but they also seem possibly more expensive than an off campus place? am i right? is it very inconvenient to not live right next to jeff?
current students: what pros/cons have you discovered to the different housing options (2 on campus apt style vs. on campus dorm vs. off campus). I do not think I am someone that could go back to the dorm living of my freshman UG days...it seems like barringer and orlowitz halls are pretty nice but they also seem possibly more expensive than an off campus place? am i right? is it very inconvenient to not live right next to jeff?
Martin is a dorm style building like your UG days most likely, so I would stay away from that then.
Barringer and Orlowitz are both apartments - you bring in your own furniture. In terms of utilities, everything is paid for except for the electricity and the electricity bill usually comes out to 10-15 a person.
In terms of costs, there are places a couple blocks away from campus that are cheaper and bigger. If you have the time and resources, you can find something better. If not, Barringer and Orlowitz are solid options for your first year.
I'm currently at Barringer; if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask away.
@Doctor Strange @Jepstein30 @FlyEaglesFly55 Could you guys by any chance comment on the large class size? I'm super happy to have been accepted and while I like a lot of things about Jefferson, I am a little hesitant about the class size that is almost double that of other schools I am considering. Besides the general class feel, I am more specifically wondering if it becomes an issue when scheduling rotations and doing other things during the clinical years? Are there any particular things you like or don't like about it? Do you feel that it is harder to get attention from advisors or other faculty? Thanks!
This was my main apprehension coming in to Jeff, so I totally understand. So far I have had no issues with the class size (other than forgetting names lol). I enjoy the class size because I've found a ton of really good friends and I feel like I mesh really well with most if not all the class. I've had no issues with getting attention so far, either. With regards to the scheduling of rotations, I'll have to defer to Dr. Strange since he's a second year and will probably have more knowledge on the topic. It's a little far away for me to worry about right now.
current students: what pros/cons have you discovered to the different housing options (2 on campus apt style vs. on campus dorm vs. off campus). I do not think I am someone that could go back to the dorm living of my freshman UG days...it seems like barringer and orlowitz halls are pretty nice but they also seem possibly more expensive than an off campus place? am i right? is it very inconvenient to not live right next to jeff?
I live in Barringer right now and love it. Pretty reasonably priced for the area with insane convenience. You can get cheaper if you look. I'm actually probably going to stick around next year.
Just got the acceptance call!! Interviewed Jan 28
Accepted via phone call from Dr. Callahan earlier this afternoon! Interviewed 12/17, OOS, 34 MCAT, 3.4-3.6 sGPA and cGPA. So happy! Love Jeff!!
Good luck to all still in the running!
Accepted today via call from Dr. Callahan! Super excited. Jeff put on one of my favorite interview days!
Congrats, y'all! If there are any questions feel free to ask
II last night around 9pm pacific. Sent an update last Tuesday and will be interviewing in two short weeks!
Congratulations! Was that update the only one you had sent? I know it is late in the season, but do you know how many more interview days they have left? Good luck!
This was my main apprehension coming in to Jeff, so I totally understand. So far I have had no issues with the class size (other than forgetting names lol). I enjoy the class size because I've found a ton of really good friends and I feel like I mesh really well with most if not all the class. I've had no issues with getting attention so far, either. With regards to the scheduling of rotations, I'll have to defer to Dr. Strange since he's a second year and will probably have more knowledge on the topic. It's a little far away for me to worry about right now.
I live in Barringer right now and love it. Pretty reasonably priced for the area with insane convenience. You can get cheaper if you look. I'm actually probably going to stick around next year.
Congrats, y'all! If there are any questions feel free to ask
Thanks for all the great info. Were you matched with random roommates or did you decide to live with people after meeting them/talking online beforehand? Has it been a good living situation?
Thank you! This was the only update I sent, I got a new job so I figured it couldn't hurt to update even if it was late in the cycle. I had sent an in town letter early on but that is it. The website said they interview on Wednesdays until April, that's all I know.Congratulations! Was that update the only one you had sent? I know it is late in the season, but do you know how many more interview days they have left? Good luck!
Does anyone know when the majority of the waitlist movement occurs?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did those put on the waitlist find out?
How did those put on the waitlist find out?
Congrats! Hopefully the calls are still going out. Also interviewed on 2/4Just got the call! love jeff! interviewed 2/4, International applicant, MCAT 34, GPA idk cba to do the conversion

Got the Acceptance call yesterday! Interviewed 1/21
Jefferson interviews until early April right? I am still hoping to grab a last minute II!
5
584376
+1Jefferson interviews until early April right? I am still hoping to grab a last minute II!
Ahhh I want one so bad! I sent in a update this week explaining why I want to go here as strongly as I could without sounding desperate. I probably still came off a little desperate.
II last night! (complete mid august)
Woah congrats!! Did you send an update or anything recently?
Woah congrats!! Did you send an update or anything recently?
Yup, sent in update recently.
Can anyone tell me if it's appropriate to send thank you notes to both student and faculty interviewers? Are either email or handwritten OK?
I emailed thank you notes to both
Thanks for all the great info. Were you matched with random roommates or did you decide to live with people after meeting them/talking online beforehand? Has it been a good living situation?
I actually live in a single, but I have tons of friends who did random roommate and some who matched with people they met at second look.
Living situation has been great. All my neighbors are awesome.
It is appropriate to send an e-mail.Can anyone tell me if it's appropriate to send thank you notes to both student and faculty interviewers? Are either email or handwritten OK?
Hey everyone! So I recently realized you can update Jefferson so I did so yesterday (pre-interview). I updated them with 7 documents, each detailing specific aspects of what's going on (courses in progress, final fall grades, research, clinical stuff, volunteering,etc). The update was pretty hefty and I have been "decision pending" for quite a while now (complete in July). My question is, how often does Jefferson interview based on updates? I have seen tons of you guys (looking back) get interviewed after sending updates but many of you seem to have much better MCAT scores than I do.
Thanks!
Thanks!
There's really no way of knowing. What I can tell you is that Jefferson does tend to look at applications as a whole and values a diverse array of experiences. It is getting a bit late in the game, and I'm only guessing that they're close to filling the final months of interviewing. We interview ~30 applicants each Wednesday until around April.Hey everyone! So I recently realized you can update Jefferson so I did so yesterday (pre-interview). I updated them with 7 documents, each detailing specific aspects of what's going on (courses in progress, final fall grades, research, clinical stuff, volunteering,etc). The update was pretty hefty and I have been "decision pending" for quite a while now (complete in July). My question is, how often does Jefferson interview based on updates? I have seen tons of you guys (looking back) get interviewed after sending updates but many of you seem to have much better MCAT scores than I do.
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The new JeffHOPE video is officially here!
There's really no way of knowing. What I can tell you is that Jefferson does tend to look at applications as a whole and values a diverse array of experiences. It is getting a bit late in the game, and I'm only guessing that they're close to filling the final months of interviewing. We interview ~30 applicants each Wednesday until around April.
Thanks for the reply! Hoping for the best.
There's really no way of knowing. What I can tell you is that Jefferson does tend to look at applications as a whole and values a diverse array of experiences. It is getting a bit late in the game, and I'm only guessing that they're close to filling the final months of interviewing. We interview ~30 applicants each Wednesday until around April.
tick tock tick tock.
Me too bruddah. I wanna go home ta illadelph.
Did you at any point between now and July send them an update letter?Just got an II today! Completely surprised since I've been complete since July and haven't heard anything from them until now.
Given that it is almost March you may be a little too late. The interview session is coming to an end. Last year I received an interview invite after sending an update in mid January. I am pretty sure it has a large role in me getting an interview since my update letter had the same kind of content you are describing. Hope that helps.Hey everyone! So I recently realized you can update Jefferson so I did so yesterday (pre-interview). I updated them with 7 documents, each detailing specific aspects of what's going on (courses in progress, final fall grades, research, clinical stuff, volunteering,etc). The update was pretty hefty and I have been "decision pending" for quite a while now (complete in July). My question is, how often does Jefferson interview based on updates? I have seen tons of you guys (looking back) get interviewed after sending updates but many of you seem to have much better MCAT scores than I do.
Thanks!
Good luck! Hopefully you get one of the last interviews. Jefferson is a great school. If not you can always reapply like I did.
Given that it is almost March you may be a little too late. The interview session is coming to an end. Last year I received an interview invite after sending an update in mid January. I am pretty sure it has a large role in me getting an interview since my update letter had the same kind of content you are describing. Hope that helps.
Good luck! Hopefully you get one of the last interviews. Jefferson is a great school. If not you can always reapply like I did.
Thanks for the reply!
The thing is, I called them and they said they interview through April and that it wouldn't hurt to send an update. I know I'm probably too late but I don't think I'll hurt my chances!
Did you at any point between now and July send them an update letter?
You should send one if you haven't already!
HPWL email today. Pretty bummed 'cause the people at Jeff (/SKMC) are awesome. Still hoping for the best, just wish I had an acceptance somewhere so I could figure out what I'm doing with my life in 3 months.
HPWL email today. Pretty bummed 'cause the people at Jeff (/SKMC) are awesome. Still hoping for the best, just wish I had an acceptance somewhere so I could figure out what I'm doing with my life in 3 months.
Literally in the exact same boat. It sucks.
Can any current students comment on how many of their fellow classmates got in off the high priority wait list? Does it seem like a lot? And does anyone know if the HPWL consists of a small pool of people? Just curious. Thanks!
They said during interview day that approx 1/3 of entering class is from the waitlist. whether this is HPWL or just WL or alternate I don't know but I would say that you have a decent chance with the HPWL. @DoctorStrange will tell you more I guess
A third of the class comes specifically from the HPWL. I actually only know of one person who came from the alternate waitlist.
Submitted a combined update/letter of interest last night, crossing my fingers for one of those last few II's.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know around when the majority of the HPWL moves?A third of the class comes specifically from the HPWL. I actually only know of one person who came from the alternate waitlist.
got an II!!! HOPE IS STILL ALIVE FELLAAAS!!!!!
On a Saturday morning? Did you send an update/when did you send one if you did?got an II!!! HOPE IS STILL ALIVE FELLAAAS!!!!!
Actually it was last night (at around 11:30ish) but i checked my inbox this morning haha. and yeah my last update was probably a week ago.On a Saturday morning? Did you send an update/when did you send one if you did?
Does anyone know of cheap hotels around Jefferson? Like something where maybe they give interviewees a discounted rate for 1 night? I'll be coming in from NYC the evening before. Thanks
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
