2014-2015 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had aamc send 5, but Rush only got 4 because of my professors hasn't submitted the letter yet. Am I complete, or do I have to wait until the 5th letter is in?
Rush will only accept a max of three letters of recommendation, so not sure why you sent in five.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think in the msar it says a max of five? Hopefully they don't mind the fact that they got an extra one lol

True, but on the secondary it clearly states that they want 3 letters. I try not to go by the MSAR too much in terms of requirements because it goes off the previous year's requirements, and schools change what they want all the time.
 
True, but on the secondary it clearly states that they want 3 letters. I try not to go by the MSAR too much in terms of requirements because it goes off the previous year's requirements, and schools change what they want all the time.

I saw that, but only after my primary + letters got sent to them. I'm sure it won't be too big of a deal, they'll just use the letters I put on the secondary
 
  • Like
Reactions: :))
OOS II today LizzyM 70.5. According to MSAR, 80 of the 170 OOS people that interview matriculate there. Does anyone know tentatively how many people get accepted out of the 170 based on previous years? I couldn't find anything in last year's thread.
 
OOS II today lizzym 70.5. According to MSAR, 80 of the 170 OOS people that interview matriculate there. Does anyone know tentatively how many people get accepted out of the 170 based on previous years? I couldn't find anything in last year's thread.
Wow, why do they interview so few OOS? Isn't it a a private medical school? Congrats on the II
 
I was complete 7/28. MSAR's data is conflicting with the info on RMC's website... also I found in last year's thread that the acceptance rate is 60% among those interviewed.
 
OOS II today lizzym 70.5. According to MSAR, 80 of the 170 OOS people that interview matriculate there. Does anyone know tentatively how many people get accepted out of the 170 based on previous years? I couldn't find anything in last year's thread.
you got II today? Didn't know they would send out invites on weekends...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rofl what would be the purpose of subtracting 1.

I think the purpose of subtracting 1 is just to keep your estimates conservative, I've heard [GPAx10 + MCAT - 1] referred to as the "conservative LizzyM score" I believe this practice also entails calculating school LizzyM scores as [avgGPAx10 + avgMCAT +1]

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
 
I think the purpose of subtracting 1 is just to keep your estimates conservative, I've heard [GPAx10 + MCAT - 1] referred to as the "conservative LizzyM score" I believe this practice also entails calculating school LizzyM scores as [avgGPAx10 + avgMCAT +1]

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've read somewhere that these subtractions also come into play when an applicant submits later in the cycle because a late application is the equivalent of having a lower score? Anyone else have details on this?
 
I think the purpose of subtracting 1 is just to keep your estimates conservative, I've heard [GPAx10 + MCAT - 1] referred to as the "conservative LizzyM score" I believe this practice also entails calculating school LizzyM scores as [avgGPAx10 + avgMCAT +1]

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

huh? You could subtract 50 and it wouldn't change anything. It just shifts everyone's numbers to a number that is one less than the previous number. Relative to the rest of the application pool, it does nothing. Maybe I'm missing something on what this number is used for.

I've read somewhere that these subtractions also come into play when an applicant submits later in the cycle because a late application is the equivalent of having a lower score? Anyone else have details on this?

I think you are reading too far into it. The LizzyM score isn't anything scientific or precisely calculated. It's just a simple way to give an idea of what your stats are while remaining anonymous (not giving away what your exact numbers are).
 
huh? You could subtract 50 and it wouldn't change anything. It just shifts everyone's numbers to a number that is one less than the previous number. Relative to the rest of the application pool, it does nothing. Maybe I'm missing something on what this number is used for.



I think you are reading too far into it. The Lizzym score isn't anything scientific or precisely calculated. It's just a simple way to give an idea of what your stats are while remaining anonymous (not giving away what your exact numbers are).


I mean...just going out there but isn't the point of sdn to be anonymous? with everyone's wacky names and stuff. I think the lizzieM thing is a bit abstract...
 
huh? You could subtract 50 and it wouldn't change anything. It just shifts everyone's numbers to a number that is one less than the previous number. Relative to the rest of the application pool, it does nothing. Maybe I'm missing something on what this number is used for.

I agree, relative to the application pool, lowering everyone's score by 1, 10, 7.345 points does not matter, its all relative. I meant for the purposes of examining schools that you have realistic shots at and for figuring out your target schools and reaches. Some people choose to be more conservative in their choices.

Hypothetically speaking, to be conservative in my choices: If my LizzyM-1 score is 70, and a school's LizzyM+1 score is 70, it's a great target (conservatively speaking). Obviously if we remove the -1 and +1, for true LizzyM score, I'm at 71 and the school is at 69, some might call that a safety, but if I'm being conservative, I'll call it a perfect match. Of course all of this is just another way to manipulate raw data in order to make it easier to look at quickly for reference.

I think you are reading too far into it. The Lizzym score isn't anything scientific or precisely calculated. It's just a simple way to give an idea of what your stats are while remaining anonymous (not giving away what your exact numbers are).

That is also true when giving your stats, in which case you probably would just report [GPAx10 + MCAT]
 
I mean...just going out there but isn't the point of sdn to be anonymous? with everyone's wacky names and stuff. I think the lizzieM thing is a bit abstract...

You may think so, but i wish i would have only referenced my LizzyM and given far fewer details about my activities and life. I walked into ____ last week and started chatting up a fellow applicant and one of the first things he said to me was I found you on SDN. I of course didn't believe him until he told me what my screen name was. I asked him how and he said my story/rant plus my stats gave me away. If it was that easy for him to figure out who i was how easy do you think it would be for schools who have all your stats and your life story to figure you out? And what about your future classmates?
 
I agree, relative to the application pool, lowering everyone's score by 1, 10, 7.345 points does not matter, its all relative. I meant for the purposes of examining schools that you have realistic shots at and for figuring out your target schools and reaches. Some people choose to be more conservative in their choices.

Hypothetically speaking, to be conservative in my choices: If my LizzyM-1 score is 70, and a school's LizzyM+1 score is 70, it's a great target (conservatively speaking). Obviously if we remove the -1 and +1, for true LizzyM score, I'm at 71 and the school is at 69, some might call that a safety, but if I'm being conservative, I'll call it a perfect match. Of course all of this is just another way to manipulate raw data in order to make it easier to look at quickly for reference.



That is also true when giving your stats, in which case you probably would just report [GPAx10 + MCAT]

ok, i wasn't aware that schools had LizzyM numbers. Are these just arbitrary numbers created by someone based on the school's rank?
 
Congrats! The relief of the first II :soexcited:Would you please share when you submitted the secondary (complete date)?

Since you asked so nicely. I submitted July 11th. I don't believe Rush sends complete e-mails, but I want to say I was complete within the week (I only checked my portal every few days). Good Luck!
 
ok, i wasn't aware that schools had lizzym numbers. Are these just arbitrary numbers created by someone based on the school's rank?

The LizzyM number for a school is considered to be [avgGPAx10 + avgMCAT] where avg refers to average of matriculants. So a school with matriculant stats of mean GPA = 3.8 and mean MCAT = 31, then that school's LizzyM score is 69.

Typically people think of any schools falling into the range of your LizzyM score +/-2 to be good "target" schools. Lower = "safety" (I hate that term) and higher = "reach" (and then of course we can get back into conservative LizzyM scores etc to come full circle hehehe 😀)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's actually what LizzyM the person who concocted the scoring system said. I don't know the purpose of it, though.
I thought that was to gauge which schools you are competitive for i.e. take their average GPA*10 + the average MCAT-1. So if School Z has an average GPA of 3.7 and an average mcat of 33 someone with a 69 would be considered competitive.
 
I thought that was to gauge which schools you are competitive for i.e. take their average GPA*10 + the average MCAT-1. So if School Z has an average GPA of 3.7 and an average mcat of 33 someone with a 69 would be considered competitive.
This makes much more sense.