-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anyone know if they accept pre-interview updates?
Yes, they do. I sent one in last Friday and got my II today
Did you send it via email to the general admissions email address? Thanks!Yes, they do. I sent one in last Friday and got my II today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you send it via email to the general admissions email address? Thanks!
PDF to the email yep
I thought the next committee meeting was sometime in early December? That's when people started getting accepted from last years threadInterview 10/3 nothing yet. I'm hoping for next week
*nods* This Friday is 6 weeks. Early December would be past the 8 week mark they gave, but it is when last year's came outI thought the next committee meeting was sometime in early December? That's when people started getting accepted from last years thread
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete? Thanks 🙂Just got an II! was totally not expecting it
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete? Thanks 🙂
Way back on 7/11, so don't lose hope!
The Radisson was nice and had an airport shuttle which is great because there aren't any cabs in the areaanyone have any travel and lodging recommendation or tips for coming from out of state?
II just now! Earliest date I got was late January but very excited nonetheless 🙂
Hey guys.
I just checked the MSAR info and only 27 out of 326 OOS interviewees matriculated...
How many do ya'll think actually got accepted out of those 326? 50%?
Anybody have an idea from previous years? Perhaps since people use this new school as a backup the amount accepted might be more than 50%? IDK. And therefore, lots of people withdrew their acceptances and only 27 matriculated.
I just checked the MSAR info and only 27 out of 326 OOS interviewees matriculated...
How many do ya'll think actually got accepted out of those 326? 50%?
Anybody have an idea from previous years? Perhaps since people use this new school as a backup the amount accepted might be more than 50%? IDK. And therefore, lots of people withdrew their acceptances and only 27 matriculated.
Anybody know if we can pull our interview date up sooner? I'm scheduled for mid-February but I would like to go in sooner
+1Anybody know if we can pull our interview date up sooner? I'm scheduled for mid-February but I would like to go in sooner
Looking at last year's thread, there were still some early December dates for those who got II's around now... I guess it really does vary year from year, though.
Does the admissions committee still review applications once a month?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone hear one way or another after their interview yet?
I haven't heard anything yet. My interview was 10/8.Anyone hear one way or another after their interview yet?
does every member of admissions committee get our complete application or do they simply listen to what person who interviewed us has to say and vote based on that? I'm very interested in how the mechanics of these meetings operate. Of course, each school is different.
The person who interviews you isn't necessarily an adcom member thus I'd assume every member of the adcom gets a complete application that includes a write-up from each of your interviewers.does every member of admissions committee get our complete application or do they simply listen to what person who interviewed us has to say and vote based on that? I'm very interested in how the mechanics of these meetings operate. Of course, each school is different.
anyone with some interview advice? what kinds of question to prep for, etc.?
Deferred. Interviewed 2nd week of October. Oh well 😀
Just got the email I was deferred until the next committee meeting. At least it isn't a rejection but still....
Deferred. Interviewed 2nd week of October. Oh well 😀
Did you have a status change in your portal or did you get an email?
I was really hoping they were gonna get to 11/8 interviews sooner than six weeks....
I got an email like 20 minutes ago.Did you have a status change in your portal or did you get an email?
I was really hoping they were gonna get to 11/8 interviews sooner than six weeks....
They most likely did ... They just may not have deferred you. Last time the acceptances came later in the day.
Did you have a status change in your portal or did you get an email?
Email.
Deferred
2nd year here with insight on all of this.
Student interviews are all conducted by MD2s. Faculty interviewers are either community physicians affiliated with the school or basic science PhDs. Faculty interviewers have personal statement and secondary application. Student interviewers are only given secondary application. Neither have grades, stats, background info or anything else besides your name. Both are asked to submit a comprehensive evaluation of our interviews with a score from 1-7. Students are encouraged to submit evals within 48 hours. Thank you letters are appreciated by faculty and students alike (just a heads up for any school - you should most definitely do that after you interview and also ASAP).
Adcom meets about twice a month. The adcom is composed of roughly 12 members, 10 are necessary to have an active meeting where acceptances are determined. There are 2 or 3 non-voting members who sit on the committee from admissions. The committee rotates members each year so this year is different from the previous year. Committee members are again physicians who have strong ties to the school and basic science faculty members. Deans are not on the committee.
The adcom receives a full applicant folder complete with AMCAS, Secondary, Interview Evals, and any updates sent to admissions. The MCAT (at least what will become the old MCAT in a few months) is separated into total score and verbal score. The GPA is obviously cumulative GPA and BCMP GPA. Each member reads folders for those up for evaluation and scores the candidate on a scale of 1-7. Averages for each candidate are established among the adcom members along with the score given by interviewers (both student and faculty). Cutoffs are established in the meeting. For example (these may not be the actual cutoffs): 5 and above would be granted acceptances, 4's would be deferred, 3 and below would be rejected outright. These are established at each adcom meeting. These cutoffs have been trending upwards as we are no longer a "backup school". The averages for our first year class meet those of many allopathic med schools. Decision dates historically have been: late october, late november/early december, early february, late march and late april.
Deferred applicants have been admitted at follow-up adcom meetings (just ask the first years). Late season deferrals are typically waitlisted.
From a student's perspective: many secondaries read the same.
I gloss over a lot when I see community based care or primary care or underserved community medicine. I also find grammatical or spelling errors to be really distracting. Answer the question in a secondary. I can't stand when applicants just take the box to talk more about some random experience they've had. If we ask for 5 traits doctors should have - have a mix of expected traits (compassion, good communication) and surprising traits (dynamism, humor).
A LOT of people mention the Family Centered Experience...yeah it's cool and stuff and it can be a great experience but other schools do it too whether people realize it or not. LIC sets us apart from other schools so when you can talk to me about that - you've gotten my interest.
People also forget the first two years of the curriculum. We do an entirely flipped classroom model for the second year. Almost no one ever brings that up. I care that you know something about our school and even more that you know something about our community.
If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
The faster I get off track with my stock questions - the better the interview is going. The interviews are short - so if you spend 20 minutes talking about a very specific experience, it's less time for me to gather info about other important things like teamwork, knowledge about TCMC, why you want to come here, etc.
We want interesting, kind and compassionate people. We want people we want to go to class with. We want people who get the vibe we have going on here. It's a very different vibe and one that we're very proud of.
We have received well over 6000 applications this year and are planning to interview about 800. Last year about a month out from the decision date - we had 200 people still accepted. TCMC is steadily becoming more competitive so do your homework, try and have a good interview, and really talk to us about how you fit. If you spew stuff off the website - I'm going to tune you out as will many of the faculty.
I hope this was helpful. I don't mean to stress any of you out - but I want to stress the importance of how we do this and that every interaction you have with the school matters. I take about an hour or two every two weeks to read secondaries and come up with questions for my interviews. My classmates and I are proud to do this for our school and so are the physicians and faculty. It's a very holistic and thorough process and a lot goes into it. It's not perfect but then again I wouldn't say any admissions process is.
Good luck and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you have about TCMC or the community.
Student interviews are all conducted by MD2s. Faculty interviewers are either community physicians affiliated with the school or basic science PhDs. Faculty interviewers have personal statement and secondary application. Student interviewers are only given secondary application. Neither have grades, stats, background info or anything else besides your name. Both are asked to submit a comprehensive evaluation of our interviews with a score from 1-7. Students are encouraged to submit evals within 48 hours. Thank you letters are appreciated by faculty and students alike (just a heads up for any school - you should most definitely do that after you interview and also ASAP).
Adcom meets about twice a month. The adcom is composed of roughly 12 members, 10 are necessary to have an active meeting where acceptances are determined. There are 2 or 3 non-voting members who sit on the committee from admissions. The committee rotates members each year so this year is different from the previous year. Committee members are again physicians who have strong ties to the school and basic science faculty members. Deans are not on the committee.
The adcom receives a full applicant folder complete with AMCAS, Secondary, Interview Evals, and any updates sent to admissions. The MCAT (at least what will become the old MCAT in a few months) is separated into total score and verbal score. The GPA is obviously cumulative GPA and BCMP GPA. Each member reads folders for those up for evaluation and scores the candidate on a scale of 1-7. Averages for each candidate are established among the adcom members along with the score given by interviewers (both student and faculty). Cutoffs are established in the meeting. For example (these may not be the actual cutoffs): 5 and above would be granted acceptances, 4's would be deferred, 3 and below would be rejected outright. These are established at each adcom meeting. These cutoffs have been trending upwards as we are no longer a "backup school". The averages for our first year class meet those of many allopathic med schools. Decision dates historically have been: late october, late november/early december, early february, late march and late april.
Deferred applicants have been admitted at follow-up adcom meetings (just ask the first years). Late season deferrals are typically waitlisted.
From a student's perspective: many secondaries read the same.
I gloss over a lot when I see community based care or primary care or underserved community medicine. I also find grammatical or spelling errors to be really distracting. Answer the question in a secondary. I can't stand when applicants just take the box to talk more about some random experience they've had. If we ask for 5 traits doctors should have - have a mix of expected traits (compassion, good communication) and surprising traits (dynamism, humor).
A LOT of people mention the Family Centered Experience...yeah it's cool and stuff and it can be a great experience but other schools do it too whether people realize it or not. LIC sets us apart from other schools so when you can talk to me about that - you've gotten my interest.
People also forget the first two years of the curriculum. We do an entirely flipped classroom model for the second year. Almost no one ever brings that up. I care that you know something about our school and even more that you know something about our community.
If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
The faster I get off track with my stock questions - the better the interview is going. The interviews are short - so if you spend 20 minutes talking about a very specific experience, it's less time for me to gather info about other important things like teamwork, knowledge about TCMC, why you want to come here, etc.
We want interesting, kind and compassionate people. We want people we want to go to class with. We want people who get the vibe we have going on here. It's a very different vibe and one that we're very proud of.
We have received well over 6000 applications this year and are planning to interview about 800. Last year about a month out from the decision date - we had 200 people still accepted. TCMC is steadily becoming more competitive so do your homework, try and have a good interview, and really talk to us about how you fit. If you spew stuff off the website - I'm going to tune you out as will many of the faculty.
I hope this was helpful. I don't mean to stress any of you out - but I want to stress the importance of how we do this and that every interaction you have with the school matters. I take about an hour or two every two weeks to read secondaries and come up with questions for my interviews. My classmates and I are proud to do this for our school and so are the physicians and faculty. It's a very holistic and thorough process and a lot goes into it. It's not perfect but then again I wouldn't say any admissions process is.
Good luck and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you have about TCMC or the community.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just figured this round of deferrals and whatnot would be a little later lolThey most likely did ... They just may not have deferred you. Last time the acceptances came later in the day.
2nd year here with insight on all of this.
Student interviews are all conducted by MD2s. Faculty interviewers are either community physicians affiliated with the school or basic science PhDs. Faculty interviewers have personal statement and secondary application. Student interviewers are only given secondary application. Neither have grades, stats, background info or anything else besides your name. Both are asked to submit a comprehensive evaluation of our interviews with a score from 1-7. Students are encouraged to submit evals within 48 hours. Thank you letters are appreciated by faculty and students alike (just a heads up for any school - you should most definitely do that after you interview and also ASAP).
Adcom meets about twice a month. The adcom is composed of roughly 12 members, 10 are necessary to have an active meeting where acceptances are determined. There are 2 or 3 non-voting members who sit on the committee from admissions. The committee rotates members each year so this year is different from the previous year. Committee members are again physicians who have strong ties to the school and basic science faculty members. Deans are not on the committee.
The adcom receives a full applicant folder complete with AMCAS, Secondary, Interview Evals, and any updates sent to admissions. The MCAT (at least what will become the old MCAT in a few months) is separated into total score and verbal score. The GPA is obviously cumulative GPA and BCMP GPA. Each member reads folders for those up for evaluation and scores the candidate on a scale of 1-7. Averages for each candidate are established among the adcom members along with the score given by interviewers (both student and faculty). Cutoffs are established in the meeting. For example (these may not be the actual cutoffs): 5 and above would be granted acceptances, 4's would be deferred, 3 and below would be rejected outright. These are established at each adcom meeting. These cutoffs have been trending upwards as we are no longer a "backup school". The averages for our first year class meet those of many allopathic med schools. Decision dates historically have been: late october, late november/early december, early february, late march and late april.
Deferred applicants have been admitted at follow-up adcom meetings (just ask the first years). Late season deferrals are typically waitlisted.
From a student's perspective: many secondaries read the same.
I gloss over a lot when I see community based care or primary care or underserved community medicine. I also find grammatical or spelling errors to be really distracting. Answer the question in a secondary. I can't stand when applicants just take the box to talk more about some random experience they've had. If we ask for 5 traits doctors should have - have a mix of expected traits (compassion, good communication) and surprising traits (dynamism, humor).
A LOT of people mention the Family Centered Experience...yeah it's cool and stuff and it can be a great experience but other schools do it too whether people realize it or not. LIC sets us apart from other schools so when you can talk to me about that - you've gotten my interest.
People also forget the first two years of the curriculum. We do an entirely flipped classroom model for the second year. Almost no one ever brings that up. I care that you know something about our school and even more that you know something about our community.
If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
The faster I get off track with my stock questions - the better the interview is going. The interviews are short - so if you spend 20 minutes talking about a very specific experience, it's less time for me to gather info about other important things like teamwork, knowledge about TCMC, why you want to come here, etc.
We want interesting, kind and compassionate people. We want people we want to go to class with. We want people who get the vibe we have going on here. It's a very different vibe and one that we're very proud of.
We have received well over 6000 applications this year and are planning to interview about 800. Last year about a month out from the decision date - we had 200 people still accepted. TCMC is steadily becoming more competitive so do your homework, try and have a good interview, and really talk to us about how you fit. If you spew stuff off the website - I'm going to tune you out as will many of the faculty.
I hope this was helpful. I don't mean to stress any of you out - but I want to stress the importance of how we do this and that every interaction you have with the school matters. I take about an hour or two every two weeks to read secondaries and come up with questions for my interviews. My classmates and I are proud to do this for our school and so are the physicians and faculty. It's a very holistic and thorough process and a lot goes into it. It's not perfect but then again I wouldn't say any admissions process is.
Good luck and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you have about TCMC or the community.
This is extremely helpful. Thanks for this! I got deferred this morning. Do you think it's worth sending a letter of interest? I had my interview 1st week of October and sent a letter right after expressing my continued interest. Would it hurt to send another/ update?
+1 just got deferred and really liked this school. Want to show committee I'm still enthusiasticThis is extremely helpful. Thanks for this! I got deferred this morning. Do you think it's worth sending a letter of interest? I had my interview 1st week of October and sent a letter right after expressing my continued interest. Would it hurt to send another/ update?
2nd year here with insight on all of this.
Student interviews are all conducted by MD2s. Faculty interviewers are either community physicians affiliated with the school or basic science PhDs. Faculty interviewers have personal statement and secondary application. Student interviewers are only given secondary application. Neither have grades, stats, background info or anything else besides your name. Both are asked to submit a comprehensive evaluation of our interviews with a score from 1-7. Students are encouraged to submit evals within 48 hours. Thank you letters are appreciated by faculty and students alike (just a heads up for any school - you should most definitely do that after you interview and also ASAP).
Adcom meets about twice a month. The adcom is composed of roughly 12 members, 10 are necessary to have an active meeting where acceptances are determined. There are 2 or 3 non-voting members who sit on the committee from admissions. The committee rotates members each year so this year is different from the previous year. Committee members are again physicians who have strong ties to the school and basic science faculty members. Deans are not on the committee.
The adcom receives a full applicant folder complete with AMCAS, Secondary, Interview Evals, and any updates sent to admissions. The MCAT (at least what will become the old MCAT in a few months) is separated into total score and verbal score. The GPA is obviously cumulative GPA and BCMP GPA. Each member reads folders for those up for evaluation and scores the candidate on a scale of 1-7. Averages for each candidate are established among the adcom members along with the score given by interviewers (both student and faculty). Cutoffs are established in the meeting. For example (these may not be the actual cutoffs): 5 and above would be granted acceptances, 4's would be deferred, 3 and below would be rejected outright. These are established at each adcom meeting. These cutoffs have been trending upwards as we are no longer a "backup school". The averages for our first year class meet those of many allopathic med schools. Decision dates historically have been: late october, late november/early december, early february, late march and late april.
Deferred applicants have been admitted at follow-up adcom meetings (just ask the first years). Late season deferrals are typically waitlisted.
From a student's perspective: many secondaries read the same.
I gloss over a lot when I see community based care or primary care or underserved community medicine. I also find grammatical or spelling errors to be really distracting. Answer the question in a secondary. I can't stand when applicants just take the box to talk more about some random experience they've had. If we ask for 5 traits doctors should have - have a mix of expected traits (compassion, good communication) and surprising traits (dynamism, humor).
A LOT of people mention the Family Centered Experience...yeah it's cool and stuff and it can be a great experience but other schools do it too whether people realize it or not. LIC sets us apart from other schools so when you can talk to me about that - you've gotten my interest.
People also forget the first two years of the curriculum. We do an entirely flipped classroom model for the second year. Almost no one ever brings that up. I care that you know something about our school and even more that you know something about our community.
If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
The faster I get off track with my stock questions - the better the interview is going. The interviews are short - so if you spend 20 minutes talking about a very specific experience, it's less time for me to gather info about other important things like teamwork, knowledge about TCMC, why you want to come here, etc.
We want interesting, kind and compassionate people. We want people we want to go to class with. We want people who get the vibe we have going on here. It's a very different vibe and one that we're very proud of.
We have received well over 6000 applications this year and are planning to interview about 800. Last year about a month out from the decision date - we had 200 people still accepted. TCMC is steadily becoming more competitive so do your homework, try and have a good interview, and really talk to us about how you fit. If you spew stuff off the website - I'm going to tune you out as will many of the faculty.
I hope this was helpful. I don't mean to stress any of you out - but I want to stress the importance of how we do this and that every interaction you have with the school matters. I take about an hour or two every two weeks to read secondaries and come up with questions for my interviews. My classmates and I are proud to do this for our school and so are the physicians and faculty. It's a very holistic and thorough process and a lot goes into it. It's not perfect but then again I wouldn't say any admissions process is.
Good luck and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you have about TCMC or the community.
Thanks for your insight. It's reassuring to hear your perspective on this whole process. For deferred applicants, what changes between the date of a deferral and the next committee meeting that may change the status of their admission? Are there considerations that the committee makes between meetings that can help/hurt a deferred applicant? Do you know if there are ways that we, as applicants, can help push us into "acceptance" status? Thanks again.
Deferrals can be a tough place to be. The truth is that the class they are recruiting is shifting and changing in character with each person they admit. They are looking to the overall character of the class and seeing how individuals fit into that picture. So you're not necessarily "changing" anything between the committee meetings.
This is to say - being deferred did not mean your grades or mcat or something was not good enough. They did not get a strong enough idea about your fit for TCMC and want to re-evaluate within the larger context of more applicants.
Updates - send them if you've got them. Worst case - it goes in the trash. Best case - it goes in your file and changes your score.
Big hint - do not be *too* enthusiastic. Flooding admissions phones every week or sending us updates every week will only hurt your app. If you've got an important update - send it. Otherwise, be patient.
This is to say - being deferred did not mean your grades or mcat or something was not good enough. They did not get a strong enough idea about your fit for TCMC and want to re-evaluate within the larger context of more applicants.
Updates - send them if you've got them. Worst case - it goes in the trash. Best case - it goes in your file and changes your score.
Big hint - do not be *too* enthusiastic. Flooding admissions phones every week or sending us updates every week will only hurt your app. If you've got an important update - send it. Otherwise, be patient.
Did anyone that interviewed 10/18 receive a decision?
@plasmamorris, I've heard that students are able to rank their choices for their campus assignment, is this true? Being assigned to the west campus is pretty important to me so I just want to know what I need to do to make sure it happens. Thanks!
interviewed 10/6 and no decision yetDid anyone that interviewed 10/18 receive a decision?
You better hold onto your horse because I interviewed 10/8 and got deferred! Wish you luck.interviewed 10/6 and no decision yet
Anxious to hear from TCMC. Folks were already deferred from interviews in early October but nobody was rejected or accepted? Hope they release some more decisions soon.
D
DenTony11235
F***.
Just took another look at my supplemental after 2 months, turns out my response to the first question was cut off. Does anyone know how poorly that reflects on my app.? I don't think I can call till Monday.
Also, I keep trying to send my LOI to their email. MSAR lists their email as admissions@tcmedc.org which didn't work, and when I called I was told its [email protected], which didn't work neither. What gives?
Just took another look at my supplemental after 2 months, turns out my response to the first question was cut off. Does anyone know how poorly that reflects on my app.? I don't think I can call till Monday.
Also, I keep trying to send my LOI to their email. MSAR lists their email as admissions@tcmedc.org which didn't work, and when I called I was told its [email protected], which didn't work neither. What gives?
I sent in my updates to [email protected] and it worked, got a response from them regarding it. But I also got my II from [email protected] though, so I guess both works?
F***.
Just took another look at my supplemental after 2 months, turns out my response to the first question was cut off. Does anyone know how poorly that reflects on my app.? I don't think I can call till Monday.
Also, I keep trying to send my LOI to their email. MSAR lists their email as admissions@tcmedc.org which didn't work, and when I called I was told its [email protected], which didn't work neither. What gives?
D
DenTony11235
I sent in my updates to [email protected] and it worked, got a response from them regarding it. But I also got my II from [email protected] though, so I guess both works?
For some reason it is listed as tcmedc.org on MSAR.
Thank you for the prompt pointer.
Posted using SDN Mobile
they were right, a sweet t-shirt really is the way to my heart haha. absolutely adored my interview day here, a truly positive experience and total surprise. this school is a hidden gem and I could see myself being really happy here. going to be a long two month wait haha
I know right??? Such a great school. Hoping for some news for the deferred!they were right, a sweet t-shirt really is the way to my heart haha. absolutely adored my interview day here, a truly positive experience and total surprise. this school is a hidden gem and I could see myself being really happy here. going to be a long two month wait haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mom postulated that the committee didn't feel like meeting this month so they just deferred everyone
Hahaha. That would actually be really funny if this was the case. I wouldn't even be angry.My mom postulated that the committee didn't feel like meeting this month so they just deferred everyone
I like this theory. (I was deferred as well).My mom postulated that the committee didn't feel like meeting this month so they just deferred everyone
My mom postulated that the committee didn't feel like meeting this month so they just deferred everyone
haha funny. perhaps they didn't have enough applicants to review, or wanted a larger sample to compare against before giving out acceptances? an unusually large number of people deferred lol
What's the purpose behind separating the composite and verbal MCAT scores? That's an interesting method of reviewing scores.2nd year here with insight on all of this.
Student interviews are all conducted by MD2s. Faculty interviewers are either community physicians affiliated with the school or basic science PhDs. Faculty interviewers have personal statement and secondary application. Student interviewers are only given secondary application. Neither have grades, stats, background info or anything else besides your name. Both are asked to submit a comprehensive evaluation of our interviews with a score from 1-7. Students are encouraged to submit evals within 48 hours. Thank you letters are appreciated by faculty and students alike (just a heads up for any school - you should most definitely do that after you interview and also ASAP).
Adcom meets about twice a month. The adcom is composed of roughly 12 members, 10 are necessary to have an active meeting where acceptances are determined. There are 2 or 3 non-voting members who sit on the committee from admissions. The committee rotates members each year so this year is different from the previous year. Committee members are again physicians who have strong ties to the school and basic science faculty members. Deans are not on the committee.
The adcom receives a full applicant folder complete with AMCAS, Secondary, Interview Evals, and any updates sent to admissions. The MCAT (at least what will become the old MCAT in a few months) is separated into total score and verbal score. The GPA is obviously cumulative GPA and BCMP GPA. Each member reads folders for those up for evaluation and scores the candidate on a scale of 1-7. Averages for each candidate are established among the adcom members along with the score given by interviewers (both student and faculty). Cutoffs are established in the meeting. For example (these may not be the actual cutoffs): 5 and above would be granted acceptances, 4's would be deferred, 3 and below would be rejected outright. These are established at each adcom meeting. These cutoffs have been trending upwards as we are no longer a "backup school". The averages for our first year class meet those of many allopathic med schools. Decision dates historically have been: late october, late november/early december, early february, late march and late april.
Deferred applicants have been admitted at follow-up adcom meetings (just ask the first years). Late season deferrals are typically waitlisted.
From a student's perspective: many secondaries read the same.
I gloss over a lot when I see community based care or primary care or underserved community medicine. I also find grammatical or spelling errors to be really distracting. Answer the question in a secondary. I can't stand when applicants just take the box to talk more about some random experience they've had. If we ask for 5 traits doctors should have - have a mix of expected traits (compassion, good communication) and surprising traits (dynamism, humor).
A LOT of people mention the Family Centered Experience...yeah it's cool and stuff and it can be a great experience but other schools do it too whether people realize it or not. LIC sets us apart from other schools so when you can talk to me about that - you've gotten my interest.
People also forget the first two years of the curriculum. We do an entirely flipped classroom model for the second year. Almost no one ever brings that up. I care that you know something about our school and even more that you know something about our community.
If you've done your homework on NEPA and/or Scranton - esp if you're out of state - I'm going to have a lot of respect for you. Students aren't trying to bounce you out of this process - so don't treat us with less respect. We're an interviewer and ultimately a part of that tabulated score, so take it seriously.
The faster I get off track with my stock questions - the better the interview is going. The interviews are short - so if you spend 20 minutes talking about a very specific experience, it's less time for me to gather info about other important things like teamwork, knowledge about TCMC, why you want to come here, etc.
We want interesting, kind and compassionate people. We want people we want to go to class with. We want people who get the vibe we have going on here. It's a very different vibe and one that we're very proud of.
We have received well over 6000 applications this year and are planning to interview about 800. Last year about a month out from the decision date - we had 200 people still accepted. TCMC is steadily becoming more competitive so do your homework, try and have a good interview, and really talk to us about how you fit. If you spew stuff off the website - I'm going to tune you out as will many of the faculty.
I hope this was helpful. I don't mean to stress any of you out - but I want to stress the importance of how we do this and that every interaction you have with the school matters. I take about an hour or two every two weeks to read secondaries and come up with questions for my interviews. My classmates and I are proud to do this for our school and so are the physicians and faculty. It's a very holistic and thorough process and a lot goes into it. It's not perfect but then again I wouldn't say any admissions process is.
Good luck and of course I'm happy to answer any questions you have about TCMC or the community.