You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing stats?I was complete on 7/28
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I received a secondary invite and submitted about 2.5 weeks later, but I was technically complete earlier than other people. Does that make a difference, or do schools look at how soon you submit your secondary after you receive it?
Last edited:
Just got rejected. 3.59 cgpa/3.69 sgpa from Duke.
13/12/9 p/b/v. IS applicant. I'm very scared now. This was supposed to be my biggest fall back. Am I doomed??
0.0 with that mcat??? What does everything else look like in your app?
Just got rejected. 3.59 cgpa/3.69 sgpa from Duke.
13/12/9 p/b/v. IS applicant. I'm very scared now. This was supposed to be my biggest fall back. Am I doomed??
I'm sorry to hear that..🙁...when were you complete?
I was complete some time end of July. Rest of my app isnt stellar but decent I guess. around 200 volunteering hours, 25 shadowing hours, a summer of research at USUHS, and a year of research for class credit at Duke. 2 gap years working full time at the Philly Va Hospital in mental health. I really dont understand the rejection.
I was complete some time end of July. Rest of my app isnt stellar but decent I guess. around 200 volunteering hours, 25 shadowing hours, a summer of research at USUHS, and a year of research for class credit at Duke. 2 gap years working full time at the Philly Va Hospital in mental health. I really dont understand the rejection.
I agree your EC is pretty decent...You should call them and ask for feedback....It may probably because your profile didn't fit their mission? (i'm just guessing)...either day, your stats and EC would give you a shot elsewhere (assuming you applied broadly) good luck!
Can I ask how your rejection came - was it email or mail? I applied here and worried now as your stats were great! I am sure alot of good news is still on the horizon.Just got rejected. 3.59 cgpa/3.69 sgpa from Duke.
13/12/9 p/b/v. IS applicant. I'm very scared now. This was supposed to be my biggest fall back. Am I doomed??
I agree your EC is pretty decent...You should call them and ask for feedback....It may probably because your profile didn't fit their mission? (i'm just guessing)...either day, your stats and EC would give you a shot elsewhere (assuming you applied broadly) good luck!
Yah I applied to 25 other schools. As a PA resident, this was really supposed to be my main safety though. I'm wondering if I should now apply to a few more "safeties"
I got an email. I def wouldnt say my stats are great, but I was confident about at least an interview here. Friends are telling me that maybe they rejected me bc they knew I was using them as a safety. But my stats are only a little above their averages. I really dont know
I got an email. I def wouldnt say my stats are great, but I was confident about at least an interview here. Friends are telling me that maybe they rejected me bc they knew I was using them as a safety. But my stats are only a little above their averages. I really dont know
This was my second guess as well. Maybe they thought you were using them as a safety. Idk. You should definitely call them for feedback though.
This was my second guess as well. Maybe they thought you were using them as a safety. Idk. You should definitely call them for feedback though.
You think they'll actually give it to me? I've read a lot of posts that said adcoms usually just tell you to go speak with your pre med advisor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II ... completed 2nd july.
Last edited:
Just heard the stats for the new class of 2018
average MCAT: 30
average GPA: 3.53 (i don't know specifics about cGPA v sGPA)
PA residents = 73 out of 100ish (I think).
good luck!
average MCAT: 30
average GPA: 3.53 (i don't know specifics about cGPA v sGPA)
PA residents = 73 out of 100ish (I think).
good luck!
II this morning!
Stats?
MCAT >35, sGPA and cGPA >3.9, IS applicant. My AMCAS was verified in early June and I submitted the secondary within a few days of getting it, but I wasn't complete until my committee letter packet was uploaded in late July.
Hey guys I'm just looking for some honest feedback.
My stats are
MCAT 1st time (8/8/10) 2nd time (10/9/9)
CGPA: ~3.48 , sGPA ~ 3.28
Just by reading some of these posts and seeing people getting rejected with such high stats makes me lose hope.
Do you think I should even bother sending in my secondary? I feel like I have no chance at this school. I also do not have research.
Any honest response would be appreciated.
My stats are
MCAT 1st time (8/8/10) 2nd time (10/9/9)
CGPA: ~3.48 , sGPA ~ 3.28
Just by reading some of these posts and seeing people getting rejected with such high stats makes me lose hope.
Do you think I should even bother sending in my secondary? I feel like I have no chance at this school. I also do not have research.
Any honest response would be appreciated.
This process is so unpredictable, just go for itHey guys I'm just looking for some honest feedback.
My stats are
MCAT 1st time (8/8/10) 2nd time (10/9/9)
CGPA: ~3.48 , sGPA ~ 3.28
Just by reading some of these posts and seeing people getting rejected with such high stats makes me lose hope.
Do you think I should even bother sending in my secondary? I feel like I have no chance at this school. I also do not have research.
Any honest response would be appreciated.
Hey guys I'm just looking for some honest feedback.
My stats are
MCAT 1st time (8/8/10) 2nd time (10/9/9)
CGPA: ~3.48 , sGPA ~ 3.28
Just by reading some of these posts and seeing people getting rejected with such high stats makes me lose hope.
Do you think I should even bother sending in my secondary? I feel like I have no chance at this school. I also do not have research.
Any honest response would be appreciated.
Go for it! It seems like these types of schools go for fit vs numbers. I think that may be why people with great stats are getting rejected. This school seems to value community service, so if you have a decent amount I say why not apply? (obviously if money isn't an issue) Just my 2 cents! 🙂
Got an II yesterday! From my research it seems like a really nice school, I am excited for the chance to visit.
Congrats! Are you IS or OOS and when were you complete?Got an II yesterday! From my research it seems like a really nice school, I am excited for the chance to visit.
Congrats! Are you IS or OOS and when were you complete?Got an II yesterday! From my research it seems like a really nice school, I am excited for the chance to visit.
Thank you! I appreciate the nice words and wish you all the same. My stats: 3.2, 35, Complete on July 7. I am OOS.Congrats! Are you IS or OOS and when were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys! will be working on the secondary tonight and sending it out tomorrow. Best of luck everyone!
Does this school show preference to IS applicants?
EDIT: nvm, I found my answer in the FAQ
EDIT: nvm, I found my answer in the FAQ
II deciding when to schedule it I wonder how quick they provide decisions. 3.8+ 29 Mcat with 7 in verbal. So happy first MD
congrats! IS/OOS? complete when?
IS and complete 7/15
congrats! IS/OOS? complete when?
IS and complete 7/15
Did you get an email or a status change? Congrats and thank you!
Email and there is a new tab titled interview when you log in onlineDid you get an email or a status change? Congrats and thank you!
Did you ever get a "complete" email? (not the email that confirms submission of the secondary)Email and there is a new tab titled interview when you log in online
Did you ever get a "complete" email? (not the email that confirms submission of the secondary)
No
II OOS, 29, 3.82
When were you complete? if you don't mind 🙄II OOS, 29, 3.82
When were you complete? if you don't mind 🙄
NOT TELLING!!!
Just kidding. I submitted my secondary August 2. I never got an email saying I was complete though.
NOT TELLING!!!
Just kidding. I submitted my secondary August 2. I never got an email saying I was complete though.
haha thanks!! Just trying to see where I stand in their big pile of apps 🙂
II!!! OOS, Submitted 7/15.
II today! I submitted on 7/1 and I'm scheduled for 9/29. I was wondering if anyone knew the schedule for the day of the interview? I'm trying to set up flight plans and could use some information pertaining to when the interviews usually end.
Edit: Found it! Interviews start at 9:30am and end around 2:30pm, for those who wanted to know.
Edit: Found it! Interviews start at 9:30am and end around 2:30pm, for those who wanted to know.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know the grading system?
I'm also interested in knowing this! Couldn't find it on their website.
does anyone know the grading system?
I'm also interested in knowing this! Couldn't find it on their website.
(1) In Years 1 and 2 the grades awarded are Satisfactory , Unsatisfactory , or Incomplete ;
(2) In Year 3 the grades awarded are Honors [H], High Pass [HP], Satisfactory , Unsatisfactory , or Incomplete ;
(3) In year 4 the grades awarded are Honors [H], Satisfactory , Unsatisfactory , or Incomplete ;
(4) Written narrative evaluations of the student's work. Written narrative evaluations accompanying grades may contain notations as to whether academic and professional performance is on the level of "honors" (H), "satisfactory" (S), "marginally satisfactory" (MS), "unsatisfactory" (U), or "incomplete" (I)
(2) Grades and narrative evaluations are based on a complete evaluation of student performance in view of all requirements and standards of TCMC and the course or clinical rotation. Grades (H, HP, S, U, or I) are entered on the official grade transcript. Grades and narrative evaluations are part of the student's permanent record, which is kept in the Office of Academic Affairs.
http://www.tcmc.edu/StudentBulletin#MDGrading
Thank you! That was very useful.
Last edited: