2014-2015 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a secondary but the online portal doesn't work for me? Anyone else experiencing issues?

Members don't see this ad.

Experiencing a technical issue too - I can't enter the course number correctly. Planning to call on Mon.
When I try to enter
Course Number: BIO 100
Course Name: Genetics

It gets saved as
Course Number: Genetics

Can anyone post the secondary please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any re-applicants received feedback from the previous cycle? I was expecting an e-mail following a post-interview rejection but have yet to receive anything.

Thanks.

Experiencing a technical issue too - I can't enter the course number correctly. Planning to call on Mon.
When I try to enter
Course Number: BIO 100

It gets saved as
Course Number: Genetics

I am having the same problem. Very frustrating ha

can we select whichever course we'd like as long as it meets the subject requirement? hence, picking the course with the best grade??

can we select whichever course we'd like as long as it meets the subject requirement? hence, picking the course with the best grade??

Yes. Remember, we have your entire grade history via AMCAS.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Have any re-applicants received feedback from the previous cycle? I was expecting an e-mail following a post-interview rejection but have yet to receive anything.

Thanks.

Feedback will not be provided based on the confidentiality of the information everyone wanted feedback - MMIs and Letters are never disclosed, so the areas you can self-evaluate and control do not need our opinions.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Programmer is aware and hopefully we'll have this bug worked out tomorrow.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I filled in "PSIO 202 Human Anatomy and Physiology II" in both the course number and course name boxes to deal with the error. Is it ok for be to go ahead and submit? I am very eager!

I filled in "PSIO 202 Human Anatomy and Physiology II" in both the course number and course name boxes to deal with the error. Is it ok for be to go ahead and submit? I am very eager!

That's fine - creative solution!

Posted using SDN Mobile

If our institution does not differentiate between A, A minus, or A plus on the transcripts, should we just enter them as "A" even if we know that the grade was A minus or A plus? Thank you!

For the math requirement - there is a list of list of topics like statistics, probabilities, etc. which don't include things like calculus or diff. eq. but then there is a sentence saying that anything higher then algebra is accepted. Does the course have to be from one of the groups mentioned? What exactly counts for "higher than algebra"?

Reactions: 1 users
If our institution does not differentiate between A, A minus, or A plus on the transcripts, should we just enter them as "A" even if we know that the grade was A minus or A plus? Thank you!

Only enter what appears on your transcript - any alteration will be perceived as disingenuous.

Posted using SDN Mobile

For the math requirement - there is a list of list of topics like statistics, probabilities, etc. which don't include things like calculus or diff. eq. but then there is a sentence saying that anything higher then algebra is accepted. Does the course have to be from one of the groups mentioned? What exactly counts for "higher than algebra"?

College algebra is typically a level 100 course and the others we have listed rank higher in the hierarchy of classes.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hi Dr. Cunningham, For the required coursework section, it states to check one box for an upper division course. If I am entering more than one course that was upper division, must I just choose one or can I check them all?

Thank you for your time.

You can check as many as you would like as long as one is marked.

Posted using SDN Mobile

does the link provided in the secondary invite email not work for anyone else? I click the link, but the page will not load. I am using safari browser...

@uaphoenixmed
Dr. Cunningham,
Does a stats for behavioral science class count for math? My school only has that stats class which is more applied to research and a more general stats class in the math department.

Last edited:
I am currently filling out the section for required classes on the supplemental application. For the behavioral science courses, I have several US History/Politics and Spanish Heritage classes that I took through AP credit and dual enrollment at Rio Salado Community College, but I also have a course I took called MIC 314: HIV/AIDS: Sci/Behavior/Society. Should I select one of the AP/dual enrollment history courses or the HIV class?

Specifically the classes are as follows:

HST 109 AP: United States to 1865
SPH 245 Hispanic Heritage in the Southwest
POS 110 AP: Government and Politics

MIC 314: HIV/AIDS: Sci/Behavior/Society
Course description:Overview of the basic biological, behavioral, and psychosocial aspects of HIV disease and AIDS.

Thank you!

Last edited:
For those completing the secondary, is there a section about filling in course description too? ^

Dr. Cunningham,

I just received my secondary (IS) and am filling out the required coursework. Would either cardiovascular physiology or current topics in physiology work to fulfill the physiology requirement?

Thank you so much!

Dr. Cunningham,

I just received my secondary (IS) and am filling out the required coursework. Would either cardiovascular physiology or current topics in physiology work to fulfill the physiology requirement?

Thank you so much!

Either is acceptable.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am currently filling out the section for required classes on the supplemental application. For the behavioral science courses, I have several US History/Politics and Spanish Heritage classes that I took through AP credit and dual enrollment at Rio Salado Community College, but I also have a course I took called MIC 314: HIV/AIDS: Sci/Behavior/Society. Should I select one of the AP/dual enrollment history courses or the HIV class?

Specifically the classes are as follows:

Thank you!

I'd suggest you list MIC314.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Anyone else's letters not uploaded to the application portal yet?

Anyone else's letters not uploaded to the application portal yet?
Yes, mine as well. My AMCAS says they are all verified and received so I reached out to admissions two days ago.

Yes, mine as well. My AMCAS says they are all verified and received so I reached out to admissions two days ago.

What did they tell you? If you don't mind saying. Mine are also verified by AMCAS. I know they're super busy so I don't want to bother them if it's one of those cases where I just have to be patient.

Well initially I was told AMCAS may have not received and verified them, but I contacted AMCAS and they were. I think its just some patience and a matter of time. I'm assuming you are just as eager as I am to be complete haha. :boom:

Well initially I was told AMCAS may have not received and verified them, but I contacted AMCAS and they were. I think its just some patience and a matter of time. I'm assuming you are just as eager as I am to be complete haha. :boom:

Yesss! Haha this is my dream school, it's too exciting :D

Yup, letters aren't in yet either, it seems to vary school to school whether they have been received or not, which is odd.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,
Does the admissions committee have access to a candidate's previous AMCAS or supplemental applications so that they may make comparisons, note growth, etc.?
Thank you for getting on here and taking the time to answer our questions!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,
Does the admissions committee have access to a candidate's previous AMCAS or supplemental applications so that they may make comparisons, note growth, etc.?
Thank you for getting on here and taking the time to answer our questions!

Good evening - we do not compare applications, so it is to your power to make a great first impression each year!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Let's say I want to retake the MCAT in August to try and boost my score and increase my chances. Would my application be on hold until then or would I be looked at with my current MCAT? Would this next MCAT score just be used for the final evaluation/if I wasn't already given an interview or would the committee wait to decide on whether to interview me until they saw my new MCAT score?

I appreciate all your help!

Is the "previous clinical experience" letter a requirement? Could a letter from an MD (not one that i shadowed) count?

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

What are your thoughts regarding word length for the secondary essays? One one hand, I feel like there is pressure to write as much as possible, but on the other hand, I would rather get straight to the point and not waste the reader's time. Is there negative judgement if an applicant say, uses around 250 words instead?

Thanks!

Is the "previous clinical experience" letter a requirement? Could a letter from an MD (not one that i shadowed) count?

Someone from a clinical environment is highly suggested - doesn't have to from the physician, could be from a nurse, coordinator, etc.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

What are your thoughts regarding word length for the secondary essays? One one hand, I feel like there is pressure to write as much as possible, but on the other hand, I would rather get straight to the point and not waste the reader's time. Is there negative judgement if an applicant say, uses around 250 words instead?

Thanks!

Most important lesson is to answer the question. Beyond this, the length does not matter as long as it is well-written, thoughtful and proofread!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Dr. Cunningham,

For the last question about including something that is not already included in the application, would elaborating on my summer employment be a good idea? On the activities section of AMCAS, I wrote 2 sentences about the basic overview of my job. I would like to elaborate on what I am learning from working in the secondary- would this be okay?

Thank you!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

For the last question about including something that is not already included in the application, would elaborating on my summer employment be a good idea? On the activities section of AMCAS, I wrote 2 sentences about the basic overview of my job. I would like to elaborate on what I am learning from working in the secondary- would this be okay?

Thank you!

Yes. Sounds like a good opportunity to expound on your recent activities.

Posted using SDN Mobile

can someone please post this year's prompts?

Edit: can someone please confirm if the first post in this thread is this year's prompts?

can someone please post this year's prompts?

Edit: can someone please confirm if the first post in this thread is this year's prompts?

I have received the secondary and confirm.

Anyone else having trouble adding a class as a substitute? I'm getting a 500 error.

For the last prompt "What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application?" what did you guys discuss?

Is this a place to expound upon something we are passionate about or to give reasons for applying to UA-Phoenix? The prompt seems kind of open-ended and I want to make sure I'm not going to ramble on about something way off the mark.

Edit: for the 12-13' cycle this was a place to discuss grade fluctuations/time taken off school. Is this still what the prompt is for?

Last edited: