2014-2015 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've been EFI for a few weeks now. I'm just guessing but if we're EFI this early there should be a good chance well receive an interview, right?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been EFI for a few weeks now. I'm just guessing but if we're EFI this early there should be a good chance well receive an interview, right?

I think being EFI/or not is a standard timeline based on when you submit. So I don't think it is an indication of interview likeliness more so than being EFI later.

EFI today! Anyone know how many people get this/average time to get an interview after this status?

Members don't see this ad :)
EFI today! Anyone know how many people get this/average time to get an interview after this status?

It just means you are eligible. You could legitimately never get an interview even after EFI

It just means you are eligible. You could legitimately never get an interview even after EFI

Yeah I get that, just wondering whether EFI is something almost everyone gets or if it actually means you are competitive.

True, I have already been EFI since late July with nothing. It doesn't surprise me with my stats, especially compared to, eh hem, those who have been getting invites (hello 75+ LizzyM crowd!). Being EFI earlier is inherently better, because you have more chances to get selected, but it is no guarantee. I expect that they may get to me in 2015, if at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, I have no idea lol. I hope it means you are competitive
No only about 3/4 get EFI. But only about 400 of those who get EFI get an interview. EFI is something significant, but not like II significant.

I feel like there are more EFI this year, but that is probably just my own paranoia. Actually a REL comment on whether the EFI pace is the same/similar this year or not would be appreciated.

Last edited:
No only about 1/3 get EFI. But only about 1/3 of those who get EFI get an interview(something like 1200 EFI last year with 400 II's). EFI is something significant, but not like II significant.

I feel like there are more EFI this year, but that is probably just my own paranoia. Actually a REL comment on whether the EFI pace is the same/similar this year or not would be appreciated.
@REL

So I havent had enuf time to look at comparisons to last year yet. I can say that it APPEARS that may break our charter class application pool of 4,300 apps this year.....we're at ~3,850 with about nine weeks to go. I would guesstimate that we are at ~ 1,000 EFI and another ~85 II. Working on mainly end of Sep/Oct II's now. Long time to go folks.....it's a hurry up and wait game we are all involved in. I wish you the best!!

Reactions: 4 users
So I havent had enuf time to look at comparisons to last year yet. I can say that it APPEARS that may break our charter class application pool of 4,300 apps this year.....we're at ~3,850 with about nine weeks to go. I would guesstimate that we are at ~ 1,000 EFI and another ~85 II. Working on mainly end of Sep/Oct II's now. Long time to go folks.....it's a hurry up and wait game we are all involved in. I wish you the best!!

There's only around 85 more interview spots left?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a ton REL, these updates are an oasis in a desert of waiting and anxiety! Thanks for keeping us informed!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey so does anyone know how UCF views MCAT scores? Like I got a 23 the first time I took it but I retook and got a 30, will they use the 30?

Hey so does anyone know how UCF views MCAT scores? Like I got a 23 the first time I took it but I retook and got a 30, will they use the 30?
they should look favorably on the big improvement;

Has anyone actually received the Not competitive for Interview status?

Those who are deemed not competitive receive an email stating as much. There have been over 350 of these so far.
Thanks! Wish every school was as transparent as you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete status has been over 15 days. How long is it taking to review complete files?

Those who are deemed not competitive receive an email stating as much. There have been over 350 of these so far.

hey REL. for those who are not competitive, is it based on stats or do they evaluate the entire application? any favorability to FL residents? i have 3.6/28 but solid ECs

hey REL. for those who are not competitive, is it based on stats or do they evaluate the entire application? any favorability to FL residents? i have 3.6/28 but solid ECs
Those above the minimum threshholds get a full review. Metrics are only a small portion of the application. In my mind metrics get you some notice, but strong, consistently demonstrated commitment to medicine, humanism, and teamwork will get you the interview. To be strong in both puts you in great position.

Reactions: 2 users

Thats crazy that your II are still going out for Sept dates! I guess you really don't hear till you hear, huh? Thanks for the update. I will turn off my paranoia for another month or so...;)

We have moved into the middle and end of Oct over last 2 days.......
Uh oh, you just cut two weeks off my paranoia break! Come on, man!

We have moved into the middle and end of Oct over last 2 days.......
Just looking to clarify from your earlier posts. You said about 1000 EFI so far and 350 not competive as well as 3800 applications. So does this mean so far almost 75 percent of applicants have made the EFI category, or am I over simplifying things (1000/1350) with about 2500 left to review?

Just looking to clarify from your earlier posts. You said about 1000 EFI so far and 350 not competive as well as 3800 applications. So does this mean so far almost 75 percent of applicants have made the EFI category, or am I over simplifying things (1000/1350) with about 2500 left to review?
This is pretty much on track....we try not to complicate too much here.

Hi REL,

How does UCF view disadvantaged applicants? I have yet to apply because I noticed I am below your 10%ile MCAT shown on the MSAR booklet. However, my GPA is around the median for matriculants. And I think I have good EC's lol.

Those above the minimum threshholds get a full review. Metrics are only a small portion of the application. In my mind metrics get you some notice, but strong, consistently demonstrated commitment to medicine, humanism, and teamwork will get you the interview. To be strong in both puts you in great position.

awesome, appreciate your help. i would say my numbers are not very competitive, but i have experience as an EMT (over 500 hours) and as a TA as well. i know its late in the app cycle, but would that hurt an average app like mine? im a FL resident so hope that helps. i just submitted my secondary this week and beating myself up for a submitting it late. i guess im just trying to reduce my anxiety lol sorry for the questions.

Better Now? There were 6 of you who were changed internally, but didnt get the change on the dashboard system. All 6 are changes --- you earn a star! Cheers!
Yes! Thank you so much, REL. You are awesome!

Hi REL,

How does UCF view disadvantaged applicants? I have yet to apply because I noticed I am below your 10%ile MCAT shown on the MSAR booklet. However, my GPA is around the median for matriculants. And I think I have good EC's lol.
Think you can go to www.med.ucf.edu/admissions and find matriculating data for several admitted classes with ranges. Note that MCAT minimum seems to be 26-27 for those who matriculate, GPA's for BS range from 3.0 and up.......be aware that some with low GPA's in their BS life did postbac or MS/PhD work and did well enuf to convince us to make the admit. You may or may not know that MCAT data shows that 15% of those applicants with 3.8+ GPA's and 39+ MCATs did not matriculate to any MD program in the last data year......this shows that metrics are not always the answer.

How do you know you were accepted? Did you apply last year because as far as I know admission decisions aren't announced until october 15th/16th?

IF your status is HFI, we are still evaluating LOR's, so we'll should catch it when we complete the eval. Once we evaluate letters, if we are missing something your status will be two numbers separated by a slash (3/1). First number means faculty letters, second means character/peer letters (so this example means a character letter is missing). Of course if all of the letters are there we will complete your file and send you an email noting your complete file.
This is really late, but I did not see if there was an issue with the LORs until now... I have the 3/1 status but I have submitted a committee letter, 3 faculty, and 1 character (from a PI I did research with) to AMCAS. What could be causing the LOR issue?

This is really late, but I did not see if there was an issue with the LORs until now... I have the 3/1 status but I have submitted a committee letter, 3 faculty, and 1 character (from a PI I did research with) to AMCAS. What could be causing the LOR issue?

I had the same thing, you need another character letter!

I concur with that. It's a pain, but there's really no way around it, I'm afraid.

Think you can go to www.med.ucf.edu/admissions and find matriculating data for several admitted classes with ranges. Note that MCAT minimum seems to be 26-27 for those who matriculate, GPA's for BS range from 3.0 and up.......be aware that some with low GPA's in their BS life did postbac or MS/PhD work and did well enuf to convince us to make the admit. You may or may not know that MCAT data shows that 15% of those applicants with 3.8+ GPA's and 39+ MCATs did not matriculate to any MD program in the last data year......this shows that metrics are not always the answer.

Thanks for the reply.

I had no clue a school's website would have more specific data, especially on metrics, than the MSAR. UCF seems to be one of those. Plus, it states how many disadvantaged applicants ya'll have accepted over the years. That's awesome. Now I just feel like I shot myself in the foot by not applying earlier than this. Oh well. Good to see other FL schools take into consideration distance travelled in life. I guess FSU is not my only hope lol.

Does anyone know if they are open to pre-II update letters?
I sent one! It's on the Supplemental Application, in the last tab labeled "Attachments." The application page also says you're only supposed to submit a total of three including the updates with grades/transcripts. Good luck sending your update :)