2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How long after submitting your primary did it take for you guys to get a secondary invite? I am still waiting and have all the questions filled out. NYS resident and all I'm waitin on is this school haha.

LizzyM score of 73
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long after submitting your primary did it take for you guys to get a secondary invite? I am still waiting and have all the questions filled out. NYS resident and all I'm waitin on is this school haha.

lizzyM score of 73

Same boat no primary
 
So I'm probably the only person to be dumb enough to make this mistake, but if you use gmail and your gmail inbox is set up to have different tabs (social, promotions, updates, etc), your emails might not show up as a little red number next to "inbox," even though emails under each folder is tagged as being in your inbox. Had my II sitting in "promotions" for two days without realizing it since I just kept checking my primary folder and my spam folder -_____-
 
So I'm probably the only person to be dumb enough to make this mistake, but if you use gmail and your gmail inbox is set up to have different tabs (social, promotions, updates, etc), your emails might not show up as a little red number next to "inbox," even though emails under each folder is tagged as being in your inbox. Had my II sitting in "promotions" for two days without realizing it since I just kept checking my primary folder and my spam folder -_____-

yeah the gmail app is really poorly designed in that respect. you can actually remove those additional tabs/folders in your settings 🙂 i have it set up as "inbox" and "updates" only but I still have to check updates manually
 
I got rid of all of those annoying auto-sort tabs. I put my email through a LOT of filters, I don't want their lame-o automatic ones screwing up my hard work!!
 
Hey everyone! So I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I took my MCAT in January just before they changed the exam which caused me to make some VERY bad decisions. I took it twice because after the first time I took it I felt like I did absolutely horrible and panicked! I didn't want prepare for an entirely new exam if I actually did horrible so I registered for another exam...BEFORE GETTING MY FIRST SCORE BACK.

First score: 29 (9-VR, 10-BS, 10-PS)
Second score: 27 (7-VR, 11-BS, 9-PS)

27!!!! 🙁 🙁 🙁 with a 7 in verbal!!!! :'(

I was averaging 31s on my practice exams 🙁.

Anyway. I'm applying now and don't know what to do! Do you guys think it's better to address this in the additional comments section in secondary applications? or to not address it at all?? I want to explain this whole situation but I don't want it to seem like an excuse for getting a bad score.

For perspective, I have a 4.00 gpa in a molecular and microbiology major. Also, I think I have significant clinical experience ( ER scribe, volunteering, shadowing) and volunteer experience.

What should I do?! 🙁
 
Do you think it might help to wait a cycle and try out with the new MCAT?

Because I know that people use that box to explain when they only go up by like 2-3 points on the exam because it usually isn't seen as enough to warrant another take and is looked down upon. Going down will definitely raise eyebrows so you might as well explain. What would you say though?
 
Do you think it might help to wait a cycle and try out with the new MCAT?

Because I know that people use that box to explain when they only go up by like 2-3 points on the exam because it usually isn't seen as enough to warrant another take and is looked down upon. Going down will definitely raise eyebrows so you might as well explain. What would you say though?

I don't think an increase in MCAT score is ever "looked down upon." I mean sure, a 1-2 point increase is probably inconsequential but the majority of schools take either your most recent score or your highest score. So an increase is expected and then looked favorably upon. Also, I'd consider a 3+ point improvement (on the old scale) quite significant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told by my premed office not to bother with a retake unless you were almost certain of going up by at least 6 points. Otherwise you would risk looking like you couldn't judge properly.

That said, if you got like a 34 then you're in a tough spot because it's pretty unlikely that you'll go up by that much (this is where the 3+ point improvement would look good). The advice was meant for scores up to 31.
 
I was told by my premed office not to bother with a retake unless you were almost certain of going up by at least 6 points. Otherwise you would risk looking like you couldn't judge properly.

That said, if you got like a 34 then you're in a tough spot because it's pretty unlikely that you'll go up by that much (this is where the 3+ point improvement would look good). The advice was meant for scores up to 31.

I think your pre-med office is fulfilling the "dumb pre-med advisor" stereotype pretty well. Do they understand how much 6 points on the MCAT is?
 
I have one semester that I had a 2.84 gpa which I covered a little bit in my primary app. I also took the MCAT three times overall increase of scores (25,30,34). Do you guys think I need to explain that in the inconsistencies prompt?
 
I have one semester that I had a 2.84 gpa which I covered a little bit in my primary app. I also took the MCAT three times overall increase of scores (25,30,34). Do you guys think I need to explain that in the inconsistencies prompt?

I would address them both definitely, for that semester was it one class dragging you down or everything went meh?

Nice job on the retakes btw...statistically people are supposedly more likely to do worse/the same but those are two pretty impressive jumps!
 
I would address them both definitely, for that semester was it one class dragging you down or everything went meh?

Nice job on the retakes btw...statistically people are supposedly more likely to do worse/the same but those are two pretty impressive jumps!
haha thx thx =] That semester I had one C and rest are like Bs/-Bs. So it was meh. I just don't know how to address my MCAT without making them sound like excuses. =/
 
I think your pre-med office is fulfilling the "dumb pre-med advisor" stereotype pretty well. Do they understand how much 6 points on the MCAT is?

6 points higher and I would have an outside chance at an Ivy. 6 points lower and I would have virtually no chance at a DO school. Classic premed advisor, wealthy private colleges should consdier hiring physicians to be part time pre-med advisors.
 
6 points higher and I would have an outside chance at an Ivy. 6 points lower and I would have virtually no chance at a DO school. Classic premed advisor, wealthy private colleges should consdier hiring physicians to be part time pre-med advisors.

This ^.
 
My describe yourself prompt is literally the most facebook kind of "describe who you are so the world can see" post I've ever seen.

It almost sounds too real and honest. Is this a bad thing?
 
Pre-writing this secondary as I submitted my primary here a week ago...
just another one of those "struggling with the describe yourself prompt" posts. Any advice?

Same with:
Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

Is this a diversity question or a more look at the website and say why you fit their mission?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About two weeks ago. So far this is the only school I haven't heard a response back.

I actually just checked my email and they had sent it to me. It seems like everyone got it approximately 1 week after their primary was transmitted. Maybe give them a call in a couple of days?
 
I actually just checked my email and they had sent it to me. It seems like everyone got it approximately 1 week after their primary was transmitted. Maybe give them a call in a couple of days?

Good to know, thanks! Will talk to the office to figure it out.
 
Pre-writing this secondary as I submitted my primary here a week ago...
just another one of those "struggling with the describe yourself prompt" posts. Any advice?

Same with:
Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.

Is this a diversity question or a more look at the website and say why you fit their mission?

I am using a slightly modified diversity statement to answer this question. I guess it just depends if your diversity essay answers the question they are asking
 
App submitted and everything (MCAT/LOR/Transcripts) marked "yes" received for 2 weeks but it still says "no" under application complete and under review. Should I call or does it just take time?
 
App submitted and everything (MCAT/LOR/Transcripts) marked "yes" received for 2 weeks but it still says "no" under application complete and under review. Should I call or does it just take time?

I'm in the same boat except there isn't a "yes" next to "Letters of recommendation received". How long did it take for you to get a "yes" next to the LORs? The website tells me that the school will download all my LORs after my secondary has been certified/submitted and I've paid the fee and my MCAT scores have been uploaded but I submitted the secondary on 7/29.
 
I'm in the same boat except there isn't a "yes" next to "Letters of recommendation received". How long did it take for you to get a "yes" next to the LORs? The website tells me that the school will download all my LORs after my secondary has been certified/submitted and I've paid the fee and my MCAT scores have been uploaded but I submitted the secondary on 7/29.
Took a few days for that. Maybe the system/process is just slow? I want to call to make sure everything is straight but I don't want to bug them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am using a slightly modified diversity statement to answer this question. I guess it just depends if your diversity essay answers the question they are asking

For both questions?
I think im really stuck on the describe yourself one. I got this secondary this morning so i have to really get an idea fast
 
For both questions?
I think im really stuck on the describe yourself one. I got this secondary this morning so i have to really get an idea fast

No for the one thing to tell the admissions committee I used a modified diversity essay. For the describe yourself I picked one quality and then gave two examples of that quality. Does that make sense?
 
I'm in the same boat except there isn't a "yes" next to "Letters of recommendation received". How long did it take for you to get a "yes" next to the LORs? The website tells me that the school will download all my LORs after my secondary has been certified/submitted and I've paid the fee and my MCAT scores have been uploaded but I submitted the secondary on 7/29.
You should definitely call or email them. I noticed that the same thing last week and I emailed them and they updated my file as soon as I did and marked my application as complete. They probably have your LOR but there isn't a lot of people working in the office right now and things are probably slipping through the cracks.
 
No for the one thing to tell the admissions committee I used a modified diversity essay. For the describe yourself I picked one quality and then gave two examples of that quality. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help! I ended up using a modified diversity essay for the tell the admissions committee prompt. I think it worked out well 🙂