2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession."

My actual essay wasn't linked to my most meaningful selection from my primary. I selected an individual event that greatly influenced me from a shadowing experience. Is this bad? Should I rewrite it to incorporate my most meaningful section? I wrote about my nursing clinicals teaching me about patient interactions and my essay literally was a meaningful patient interaction.
 
"In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession."

My actual essay wasn't linked to my most meaningful selection from my primary. I selected an individual event that greatly influenced me from a shadowing experience. Is this bad? Should I rewrite it to incorporate my most meaningful section? I wrote about my nursing clinicals teaching me about patient interactions and my essay literally was a meaningful patient interaction.

I don't think it's a problem. The experiences that you chose as most meaningful on the primary may not necessarily be the ones that most influenced you to pursue medicine. Maybe you had an experience that wasn't a big part of your college life but still was a turning point in your decision. Write whatever you feel is correct for you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm...submitted secondary 8/1 and LoRs still not downloaded. Wait a day or just email and hope for a response?


Edit: emailed them and they responded to me within an hour and updated my application with my LoRs ^_^ Always appreciate a really responsive admissions committee~
 
Last edited:
II today! I never got a complete email but submitted 7/28
IS, LizzyM ~70
The only interview date available is 9/10, do schools usually add more dates later on or should I just take it? I'm hesitant because the flight times don't work out well

Generally, earlier is always better. I'm going to say that there will be more dates because they give IIs in order of applications received. So if flying is going to be a major concern, choose a different date.. if not, I'd just go with that date. Just a heads up though, if you're not one of the students that get immediately accepted post interview it may be a LONG painful wait till you hear back for an acceptance 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted mine 8/11, and they have everything from me but the portal says I'm not complete. Am I just being neurotic and it takes a while for the portal to reflect that, or should I ask them what's up?
 
I submitted mine 8/11, and they have everything from me but the portal says I'm not complete. Am I just being neurotic and it takes a while for the portal to reflect that, or should I ask them what's up?

I submitted 7/30 and was complete 8/12. I'd wait at least another week before asking them.
 
Anyone remember how long after you sent in your secondary that your LORs were downloaded?
 
Anyone remember how long after you sent in your secondary that your LORs were downloaded?

I emailed the admissions committee ~11 days after submitting my secondary about my LoRs and they immediately uploaded my letters and sent me a complete receipt
 
I emailed the admissions committee ~11 days after submitting my secondary about my LoRs and they immediately uploaded my letters and sent me a complete receipt

Okay, mine was submitted on the 11th, so I'll give it a few more days, since it mentions 10 days on that status page.
 
I emailed the admissions committee ~11 days after submitting my secondary about my LoRs and they immediately uploaded my letters and sent me a complete receipt
Does the status on the portal change though? I emailed them and got the same response yesterday, but the portal haven't shown that LOR received yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current students, any thoughts on the kinds of students they are looking for? specific qualities?
Sorry if the question seems silly...
 
So one of the "distinction" tracks aligns with my "one aspect" essay response.

Is it inappropriate to insert an element of a "why Albany?" into my response?
 
Current students, any thoughts on the kinds of students they are looking for? specific qualities?
Sorry if the question seems silly...
If you're working on your secondaries I would focus on highlighting a few of your best qualities that can tie into being a doctor and avoid the pitfall of trying to cover too much and, consequently, not really saying much about yourself.

Every school looks for well rounded individuals who they feel can handle the intense work load that comes with med school, and AMC is no different. Some schools have particular interest in students who have experience in or ties to rural medicine, especially in their region. I would say AMC doesn't focus on that and looks at the more general qualities.

They know that a vast majority of applicants are very qualified, so it's really about making your personal statement/secondaries memorable (anecdotes are the best way to do this in my opinion) and having consistency in your MMI (they'll explain this on interview day).

Hope this helps!
 
Thank you that does help! I'll try to have a good story!

So one of the "distinction" tracks aligns with my "one aspect" essay response.

Is it inappropriate to insert an element of a "why Albany?" into my response?

If it aligns well, maybe just briefly say it like in 1 sentence. Prob don't want to go too much in detail.
 
Yup! The interviewers know nothing about you. If you've never done an MMI I would suggest reading up on it because they're quite different from traditional interviews.
Any resource you would recommend on getting antiquated with MMI?
 
Any resource you would recommend on getting antiquated with MMI?

I think a quick search through SDN will turn up lots of resources about MMI. I hear YouTube is also super helpful for MMI preparation.

Also, it should be "acquainted," not "antiquated." (Sorry, couldn't help it.)
 
Seriously have not heard anything back from this school since my complete email a month ago. So much for rolling admissions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad