-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! When were you complete?
Thanks! I'm not actually sure :/ I never received a complete email. I think I checked my portal a week after submitting and everything was received, so probably end of July.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Second II today from Albany! OOS, yay 🙂
edit: submitted 7/30 complete email 8/10
edit: submitted 7/30 complete email 8/10
Last edited:
II earlier today IS! Got the complete email on 8/10.
I don't remember if that was the same problem I had, but you need to use firefox for the photo upload to work
+1
I tried chrome and safari, only works with mozilla.
I'm OOS, applying with a 3.6 ugpa and 515 mcat. Did anyone here who received a II already apply with new mcat score?
I did. OOS 3.5 cum / 513 I haven't heard anything back yet except that it's complete. Good luckI'm OOS, applying with a 3.6 ugpa and 515 mcat. Did anyone here who received a II already apply with new mcat score?
OOS with 3.3 uGPA and 3.8 medical SMP GPA and 514 MCAT - II todayI'm OOS, applying with a 3.6 ugpa and 515 mcat. Did anyone here who received a II already apply with new mcat score?
OOS with 3.3 uGPA and 3.8 medical SMP GPA and 514 MCAT - II today
Congrats! I'll be doing an SMP this upcoming year but I guess it won't really affect my application at the moment until I submit Fall grades.
I'm OOS applying as well, may I ask when you were complete? Thanks!OOS with 3.3 uGPA and 3.8 medical SMP GPA and 514 MCAT - II today
submitted 7/30 complete email 8/10I'm OOS applying as well, may I ask when you were complete? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
submitted 7/30 complete email 8/10
They sent you a complete email? I thought we were just monitoring the login status
Maybe it wasn't an email? I don't remember but it was complete 8/10They sent you a complete email? I thought we were just monitoring the login status
Anyone having trouble logging in? It was working fine until yesterday but I can't seem to log in from any servers..
We had a power outage earlier so all amc.edu sites are temporarily down. Hang in there!Anyone having trouble logging in? It was working fine until yesterday but I can't seem to log in from any servers..
Thank you!We had a power outage earlier so all amc.edu sites are temporarily down. Hang in there!
From the Albany application portal instructions: "The Admissions Committee prefers letters from instructors who have given you course credit, particularly in the sciences. If you are not sending a letter from a science instructor, you may provide a letter from a supervisor from either a paid or volunteer research or clinical experience. The maximum number of letters is four."
Hmm.
If I want to send 2 additional letters (non-science) in addition the 2 science letters I have, does this breach their requirements?
Well if you have science letters, then I think the non-science letters should also be fine if they're either instructors or supervisors from a research or clinical activity/experience. For me, I sent 2 science professor letters, 1 non-science professor letter, and 1 from my supervisor at the hospital I currently volunteer at. If you're in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to email or call the admissions office. 🙂Hmm.
If I want to send 2 additional letters (non-science) in addition the 2 science letters I have, does this breach their requirements?
Well if you have science letters, then I think the non-science letters should also be fine if they're either instructors or supervisors from a research or clinical activity/experience. For me, I sent 2 science professor letters, 1 non-science professor letter, and 1 from my supervisor at the hospital I currently volunteer at. If you're in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to email or call the admissions office. 🙂
awesome. that's exactly what I am doing haha.
yea the wording was funny...thanks for your thoughts.
For questions like - "Explain why you aren't using the committee letter"... (something like that):
Should I respond saying I am? Or should I just leave it blank?
Should I respond saying I am? Or should I just leave it blank?
For questions like - "Explain why you aren't using the committee letter"... (something like that):
Should I respond saying I am? Or should I just leave it blank?
Leaving it blank is fine. They can see that you're using a committee letter by looking at the rest of your app. But if you really want to, you could indicate that you are using a committee letter. Not necessary though.
I'm in a similar spot, submitted on the 12th and still nothing.Still waiting to be complete here. Sent secondary in on the 11th. When do i contact them?
I'm in a similar spot, submitted on the 12th and still nothing.
I ended up emailing them yesterday and they said my app is now complete
Last edited:
These NY schools are mega slow
delete
Last edited:
Was that just an e-mail or did your portal update to complete too?
Portal also updated
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh i just logged in and it has "yes" next to "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee." so I guess I'm all good then, I just never got an email?...I ended up emailing them yesterday and they said my app is now complete
oh i just logged in and it has "yes" next to "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee." so I guess I'm all good then, I just never got an email?...
Well i emailed them first wondering why i wasnt complete after two weeks. They then downloaded my letters for me.
Same here, only I waited 3wks. They were very responsive to email, though, which was nice!Well i emailed them first wondering why i wasnt complete after two weeks. They then downloaded my letters for me.
Same here, only I waited 3wks. They were very responsive to email, though, which was nice!
Yes, they were! I didn't want to rush them, so i waited the full 10 days to email them and i was complete the same day! Already impressed 🙂
I don't need to contact them though, right? You guys never had the 'yes' did you?oh i just logged in and it has "yes" next to "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee." so I guess I'm all good then, I just never got an email?...
How competitive is this school in terms of their stats? I can't find their admission stats for last year or the year prior anywhere on their website so I'm wondering if anyone knows what MCAT/GPA they typically accept?
How competitive is this school in terms of their stats? I can't find their admission stats for last year or the year prior anywhere on their website so I'm wondering if anyone knows what MCAT/GPA they typically accept?
Do you have MSAR?
9K applicants, 900 interviews - 9% rate
For a class of 140, they probably extend acceptances to around 300 interview candidates, so 30% off the interview.
Median 3.7u/3.6s GPA and 32 MCAT
Its highly competitive based on 3% acceptance rate, and they rarely accept you right off an interview. Usually waitlist.
I l
I left this blank is that bad ?If you had to 'drop' a class and retake it later that's not an issue at all. If you had to 'withdraw' however then you should explain why in this essay.
The education interrupted essay is more for if you take a gap year before applying or if you had to leave school for a while (e.g. To take care of a sick family member or something).
Depends. If you withdrew, got a bad grade, have a declining GPA, etc the adcom members will be wondering why. For any school, the less unanswered questions the adcom has when reviewing your app the better, because what you send them is all they have to go off of.I l
I left this blank is that bad ?
If you just had a little mishap and your GPA is still pretty stellar it probably matters less.
I'm assuming you've already submitted your secondaries so, regardless, I wouldn't worry about it at this point b/c that's just a bad use of your time (I know this is MUCH easier said than done). But hopefully you get an II and kick butt!
For everyone who got (and will get) an II, congrats!
Just FYI, as far as I know, we don't have a student hosting program. I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, because its nice and it's literally attached to AMC so you can walk right to your interview site through a connecting bridge without having to go outside (especially handy for those of you who will be interviewing during the dead of winter). The hotel also has a free airport shuttle. We don't have Uber or Lyft here (unfortunately...) and taxi's in the area are TERRIBLE. Well, it's actually more of a crap shoot with the taxis but probably not something you want to be worrying about on an already stressful day!
Just FYI, as far as I know, we don't have a student hosting program. I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, because its nice and it's literally attached to AMC so you can walk right to your interview site through a connecting bridge without having to go outside (especially handy for those of you who will be interviewing during the dead of winter). The hotel also has a free airport shuttle. We don't have Uber or Lyft here (unfortunately...) and taxi's in the area are TERRIBLE. Well, it's actually more of a crap shoot with the taxis but probably not something you want to be worrying about on an already stressful day!
For everyone who got (and will get) an II, congrats!
Just FYI, as far as I know, we don't have a student hosting program. I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, because its nice and it's literally attached to AMC so you can walk right to your interview site through a connecting bridge without having to go outside (especially handy for those of you who will be interviewing during the dead of winter). The hotel also has a free airport shuttle. We don't have Uber or Lyft here (unfortunately...) and taxi's in the area are TERRIBLE. Well, it's actually more of a crap shoot with the taxis but probably not something you want to be worrying about on an already stressful day!
Seriously DON'T try to take a taxi there, they often just don't show up.
I did withdrew from one class which I retook but that's only 1 class I won't consider that as being inconsistent. My gpa is a 3.56 and has being lurking around that area for my entire undergraduate. Am not worried juste wanted a sec opinion.Depends. If you withdrew, got a bad grade, have a declining GPA, etc the adcom members will be wondering why. For any school, the less unanswered questions the adcom has when reviewing your app the better, because what you send them is all they have to go off of.
If you just had a little mishap and your GPA is still pretty stellar it probably matters less.
I'm assuming you've already submitted your secondaries so, regardless, I wouldn't worry about it at this point b/c that's just a bad use of your time (I know this is MUCH easier said than done). But hopefully you get an II and kick butt!
How are people preparing for the MMI? Anyone have the interview yet?
Excited and terrified at the same time...
Excited and terrified at the same time...
Don't be terrified! Think of it as a fun activity, they actually are trying to make interviews less intense and stressful with the MMI, and everyone says its chill.How are people preparing for the MMI? Anyone have the interview yet?
Excited and terrified at the same time...
I've been reading up on bioethics, and every day I've done a few MMI scenarios from some resources I've found. I make sure I think about it and practice articulating my reasoning. You don't want to memorize scenarios, but you want to practice your method of execution.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MMIs are SO much better than one-on-ones.
Interview day was super fun this year, don't stress out over this one. everyone was super friendly and excited to have the first interviewees of the year there and Albany seemed like a really fun place go to med school!
So excited to interview 9/21!Interview day was super fun this year, don't stress out over this one. everyone was super friendly and excited to have the first interviewees of the year there and Albany seemed like a really fun place go to med school!
I agree with piii & MissKitty2868. Don't be terrified, MMIs are much less intimidating than traditional interviews.How are people preparing for the MMI? Anyone have the interview yet?
Excited and terrified at the same time...
The whole point of MMIs is to evaluate your reasoning skills. You'll come across a lot of people who will say that there isn't a way to really prepare for them. That's somewhat true, but I think piii's strategy is the way to go; that's what I did and it worked out for me. Any MMI resource will essentially tell you the same thing, most of the time you have to be able to take a prompt, assess and flesh out both sides of the argument, and demonstrate how you come to your conclusion. There is a time limit and the general consensus from MMI guides is that you should use up most of that time. In my opinion, this is the hardest part about an MMI but is not too difficult to master with PRACTICE. Look up some mock prompts online and practice answering those while timing yourself. Better yet, do it with a partner so that they can tell you if you seem to struggle in some areas or if you just sound boring when you talk. Also, avoid the temptation of memorizing your answers; this will not serve you well in MMIs like it would in traditional interviews.
Finally, get lots of rest the night before, relax on interview day, and SMILE
Let me know if any of you have any questions, and maybe I'll see some of you on your interview day!
I emailed them last night and work up to
"Hello,
We are emailing in response to your phone call/email regarding receipt of letters of recommendation and completion of your application. We have received the letters; they have been downloaded and added to your file. Your file is now complete.
Please note that it will take a day or so for the status screen to update.
We apologize for the delay which was due to the large volume of applications and recommendations that we have received"
So it looks like calling/emailing does make a difference if you appear stuck for a long time (this same thing happened getting completed at CU for me as well, and as soon as I called/emailed they "fixed" it and marked me complete. Stay diligent ya'll
"Hello,
We are emailing in response to your phone call/email regarding receipt of letters of recommendation and completion of your application. We have received the letters; they have been downloaded and added to your file. Your file is now complete.
Please note that it will take a day or so for the status screen to update.
We apologize for the delay which was due to the large volume of applications and recommendations that we have received"
So it looks like calling/emailing does make a difference if you appear stuck for a long time (this same thing happened getting completed at CU for me as well, and as soon as I called/emailed they "fixed" it and marked me complete. Stay diligent ya'll
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K