2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jesus 12 pages? i felt i wrote a pretty substantial amount including the optional and its 3 pages
Yeah, I really hope his writing is good or else I wouldn't know how much of that is going to be read carefully :p

Members don't see this ad.

For MSTP applicants, looks like II's will start mid-august according to website: "The MSTP admissions committee reviews applications as they are completed, and in mid-August the program will begin to issue interview invitations.."
Sweet! Earliest reported IIs on SDN from 2013 and 2014 were on 8/29 so this is a nice surprise.

II!!!! So excited!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!! Can't breathe I'm so excited! Congrats to everyone and keep being patient!

Reactions: 12 users
So I got an II literally one hour after submitting my secondary. I wish all med schools would have turnaround that fast.

Verified 6/8
LizzyM 74-77

Reactions: 10 users
For anyone wondering about PCLT, it's an either/or situation; if they don't think you're good for PCLT, you won't be considered for MD (the sense I got is that it's like 2 different programs).

Those of you getting interviews- do you get e-mails or are you checking the status page? I thought there was some place that said they wouldn't contact you further but I hate neurotically checking the status page :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah!! Congrats getting one so early. Stats/complete date?

Thanks!! 3.98/36 and completed on 7/20. Duke undergrad too if that matters

Those of you getting interviews- do you get e-mails or are you checking the status page? I thought there was some place that said they wouldn't contact you further but I hate neurotically checking the status page :confused:

I got it through an email, haven't checked the status page

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!! 3.98/36 and completed on 7/20. Duke undergrad too if that matters
Wtf how'd you keep 3.98 at Duke

Monster

Reactions: 4 users
Got my first II today from here!! my lizzy m score is 72-74 completed secondary around the 20th

Reactions: 6 users
Finally just submitted their beast of a secondary. Now on to Temple and Cooper! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Ok Duke you have your Pokemon character ... now give me my II

Reactions: 2 users
I was supposed to switch to Exeggutor weeks ago.. What is wrong with me

I was supposed to switch to Exeggutor weeks ago.. What is wrong with me
Yeah man I'm disappointed :sorry:
Exeggcute*
Remember, you don't want to jump the gun or else you'll never evolve :nono:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so bad that I haven't submitted my secondary... which is now more than a month overdue. #TooManyQuestions

II just now! Stats in MDApps

Reactions: 4 users
What was your submit date?
I submitted the 7/6 I believe. Sorry don't remember the exact date but it was within three days of receiving the secondary!

My girlfriend just got an interview! 4.0/513.

Reactions: 3 users
She was complete on 7/26/15. Very involved in research (one 3rd author pub) and honors thesis, etc. etc. captain of sports team, clinical, volunteering.

Last edited:
She was complete on 8/26/15. Very involved in research (one 3rd author pub) and honors thesis, etc. etc. captain of sports team, clinical, volunteering.
Hm, how interesting that she got an II 21 days before her application was complete :smuggrin:

Whoops! Edited so it says July. Nice catch.

Whoops! Edited so it says July. Nice catch.
Great tagline btw lol maybe I should do something similar! "Gym Leader" is kinda dumb b/c errbody already know who Clair is you know

Great tagline btw lol maybe I should do something similar! "Gym Leader" is kinda dumb b/c errbody already know who Clair is you know
ya we know what she is...a sore loser

is 950 words too long for the advocacy essay? My others are all around 500, but I felt this question had so many parts that I needed to address. Thoughts?

If the entire 950 words is super compelling, i think it is justified. Have several people read it to make sure everything you wrote is essential to ensure you're not unnecessarily repeating yourself. Once i get in a groove, i know it's easy for me to be verbose without actually needing to be. My longest essay on this app was around 750 words I believe.

If the entire 950 words is super compelling, i think it is justified. Have several people read it to make sure everything you wrote is essential to ensure you're not unnecessarily repeating yourself. Once i get in a groove, i know it's easy for me to be verbose without actually needing to be. My longest essay on this app was around 750 words I believe.

I agree with this and will just add that my longest was 500ish words. Duke has so many essays that I find it hard to believe that they'd actively want to hear a super long story/experience when a shorter one would suffice.

Does anyone know if Duke accepts updates pre-interview. If so, what is the process? Couldn't find it on their secondary. Thanks!

is there a way i can tell if duke has received my LORs?

is there a way i can tell if duke has received my LORs?
Mine just says "application screening" at the top, so I'm going to assume they have my LoRs, or otherwise they wouldn't have started that process

Mine just says "application screening" at the top, so I'm going to assume they have my LoRs, or otherwise they wouldn't have started that process
Nice. I didn't notice this yesterday, but it's here now. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Pretty sure Duke is one of the few schools that extend IIs without receiving LORs. I've heard they don't even read letters until after you interview...but that could be speculation. Anyone receive an II without having all of their recs in?

Submitted and SO relieved to be done with this one!

Reactions: 3 users
For the pre-reqs is psychology and sociology both required?

If you don't have psychology is it a pre-interview auto reject?

Dropping this from my list. With Duke's location, terrible curriculum structure (skipping pre/clinical experience in favor of research, no thanks), secondary questions, and late notification date, this isn't the place for me. I also don't care about sports so the campus culture wouldn't jive with me either.

Good luck to everyone else! Would've loved to visit Durham/Chapel Hill for kicks, but not feeling it here.

Reactions: 1 users