2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jesus 12 pages? i felt i wrote a pretty substantial amount including the optional and its 3 pages
Yeah, I really hope his writing is good or else I wouldn't know how much of that is going to be read carefully 😛
 
For MSTP applicants, looks like II's will start mid-august according to website: "The MSTP admissions committee reviews applications as they are completed, and in mid-August the program will begin to issue interview invitations.."
Sweet! Earliest reported IIs on SDN from 2013 and 2014 were on 8/29 so this is a nice surprise.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone wondering about PCLT, it's an either/or situation; if they don't think you're good for PCLT, you won't be considered for MD (the sense I got is that it's like 2 different programs).
 
Those of you getting interviews- do you get e-mails or are you checking the status page? I thought there was some place that said they wouldn't contact you further but I hate neurotically checking the status page 😕
 
Yah!! Congrats getting one so early. Stats/complete date?

Thanks!! 3.98/36 and completed on 7/20. Duke undergrad too if that matters

Those of you getting interviews- do you get e-mails or are you checking the status page? I thought there was some place that said they wouldn't contact you further but I hate neurotically checking the status page 😕

I got it through an email, haven't checked the status page
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
She was complete on 7/26/15. Very involved in research (one 3rd author pub) and honors thesis, etc. etc. captain of sports team, clinical, volunteering.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
She was complete on 8/26/15. Very involved in research (one 3rd author pub) and honors thesis, etc. etc. captain of sports team, clinical, volunteering.
Hm, how interesting that she got an II 21 days before her application was complete :smuggrin:
 
is 950 words too long for the advocacy essay? My others are all around 500, but I felt this question had so many parts that I needed to address. Thoughts?
 
If the entire 950 words is super compelling, i think it is justified. Have several people read it to make sure everything you wrote is essential to ensure you're not unnecessarily repeating yourself. Once i get in a groove, i know it's easy for me to be verbose without actually needing to be. My longest essay on this app was around 750 words I believe.
 
If the entire 950 words is super compelling, i think it is justified. Have several people read it to make sure everything you wrote is essential to ensure you're not unnecessarily repeating yourself. Once i get in a groove, i know it's easy for me to be verbose without actually needing to be. My longest essay on this app was around 750 words I believe.

I agree with this and will just add that my longest was 500ish words. Duke has so many essays that I find it hard to believe that they'd actively want to hear a super long story/experience when a shorter one would suffice.
 
Does anyone know if Duke accepts updates pre-interview. If so, what is the process? Couldn't find it on their secondary. Thanks!
 
Pretty sure Duke is one of the few schools that extend IIs without receiving LORs. I've heard they don't even read letters until after you interview...but that could be speculation. Anyone receive an II without having all of their recs in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dropping this from my list. With Duke's location, terrible curriculum structure (skipping pre/clinical experience in favor of research, no thanks), secondary questions, and late notification date, this isn't the place for me. I also don't care about sports so the campus culture wouldn't jive with me either.

Good luck to everyone else! Would've loved to visit Durham/Chapel Hill for kicks, but not feeling it here.