2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Why hello there Saffron City gym leader Sabrina 😉
Great touch on changing the location. I'm obviously Clair from Blackthorn!
haha you got it. let's hope Duke can see my future potential as an Alakazam and show me some love!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how everyone is sticking with the 1st generation original pokemon - probably a reflection of our age? 5-6 years from now, I bet another trend like this on SDN will be filled with pokemon I've never seen before 😛
 
Oh man, Magikarp is like the premed's spirit animal...pretty ineffectual and no fun at parties, but big dreams and a chance at a badass future if they can swing the training!
Lol look at these official Pokedex entries:
"For no reason, it jumps and splashes about, making it easy for predators like Pidgeotto to catch it mid-jump."
"Magikarp is a pathetic excuse for a Pokémon that is only capable of flopping and splashing. This behavior prompted scientists to undertake research into it."
"It is virtually worthless in terms of both power and speed. It is the most weak and pathetic Pokémon in the world."
"It is said to be the world's weakest Pokémon. No one knows why it has managed to survive."
"A Magikarp living for many years can leap a mountain using Splash. The move remains useless, though."
 
I love how everyone is sticking with the 1st generation original pokemon - probably a reflection of our age? 5-6 years from now, I bet another trend like this on SDN will be filled with pokemon I've never seen before 😛
Pichu isn't 1st generation 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol look at these official Pokedex entries:
"For no reason, it jumps and splashes about, making it easy for predators like Pidgeotto to catch it mid-jump."
"Magikarp is a pathetic excuse for a Pokémon that is only capable of flopping and splashing. This behavior prompted scientists to undertake research into it."
"It is virtually worthless in terms of both power and speed. It is the most weak and pathetic Pokémon in the world."
"It is said to be the world's weakest Pokémon. No one knows why it has managed to survive."
"A Magikarp living for many years can leap a mountain using Splash. The move remains useless, though."
Well this certainly makes me feel better about my chances, lol
 
I love how everyone is sticking with the 1st generation original pokemon - probably a reflection of our age? 5-6 years from now, I bet another trend like this on SDN will be filled with pokemon I've never seen before 😛
Original 151 or bust!
though...
Pichu isn't 1st generation 😉
...this is pretty funny. I would've just thought it was a stylized Pikachu myself. :shrug:
 
Last cycle was all penguins thanks to the Penguin Queen @ProbablyAPenguin starting the movement in the Duke application thread.

This cycle is all Pokemon thanks to the Pokemon Master @phuynh94 starting the movement in the Duke application thread.

Duke sure has the tendency to be the birthplace of all applicant movements each cycle :naughty::naughty:
It breaks people down with its monster secondary, then they cast around seeking some form of solidarity to rebuild themselves...
 
Last cycle was all penguins thanks to the Penguin Queen @ProbablyAPenguin starting the movement in the Duke application thread.

This cycle is all Pokemon thanks to the Pokemon Master @phuynh94 starting the movement in the Duke application thread.

Duke sure has the tendency to be the birthplace of all applicant movements each cycle :naughty::naughty:
I think I should get some credit for starting to tell other people to do it first!!
 
It breaks people down with its monster secondary, then they cast around seeking some form of solidarity to rebuild themselves...

Yeah that secondary has got to do something with this.

I think I should get some credit for starting to tell other people to do it first!!

That's true. In that case, @phuynh94 and @avgn are co-Pokemon Champions (since we need two more to be Elite Four and I'm too lazy to find others).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, these essay prompts are challenging. And fun to write. I'm slightly concerned about my word counts, but they didn't give us limits and these questions are pretty deep, probing, and multifaceted. Got the first draft of them done in one sitting somehow. Now just need to find a few unsuspecting friends to edit them for me. Good luck to everyone still writing them!
 
Wow, these essay prompts are challenging. And fun to write. I'm slightly concerned about my word counts, but they didn't give us limits and these questions are pretty deep, probing, and multifaceted. Got the first draft of them done in one sitting somehow. Now just need to find a few unsuspecting friends to edit them for me. Good luck to everyone still writing them!
Get a Pokemon avatar! It'll make the essay writing easier! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha i'm done, no pokemon strength needed. Although, if i remember correctly from about 14 years ago, abracadabra was my favorite.
 
To be honest, while these prompts were a bit challenging, i enjoyed writing these way more than most secondaries, even if it meant less copying and pasting. Thus far, Duke and Keck have been my favorite secondaries!
 
haha i'm done, no pokemon strength needed. Although, if i remember correctly from about 14 years ago, abracadabra was my favorite.
That's 2 Pokemon you're talking about. Abra evolves into Kadabra