2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First rejection.... MSTP.

Nooooooooo :( Sorry @nmusdposter. Hope you hear some much better news from other schools soon.
Mind sharing your stats and/or when you submitted? Please don't feel the need to share if you are not comfortable doing so. So sorry again for the bad news today.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nooooooooo :( Sorry @nmusdposter. Hope you hear some much better news from other schools soon.
Mind sharing your stats and/or when you submitted? Please don't feel the need to share if you are not comfortable doing so. So sorry again for the bad news today.
518/4.0. One publication (3rd author) a couple of poster presentations, decent ecs, competed 7/3

Reactions: 1 user
518/4.0. One publication (3rd author) a couple of poster presentations, decent ecs, competed 7/3

With those stats, you will definitely be looking at lots of other IIs! Sorry to hear this about Duke, but I know you will have a very successful cycle.
Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With those stats, you will definitely be looking at lots of other IIs! Sorry to hear this about Duke, but I know you will have a very successful cycle.
Thank you for sharing!
Thanks....I bit of a let down, but I will keep my fingers crossed on some of the others.

wait wtf? are my eyes deceiving me or is @MDPhDHopeful2015 responding as if he is @nmusdposter
Have to apologize, I originally signed up with one name from my cell and then couldn't remember my login info and so created the second name. Please excuse the faux pas. If someone wants to delete one of my identities, that is fine.

Did anyone else get an application notice in their secondary that their numbers were below Duke's average?

I thought there was just general info in the email about their average numbers and the holistic review process

I thought there was just general info in the email about their average numbers and the holistic review process
Where does it say that?
When you sign into the secondary application, under application status and "your current application progress", it will have a yellow box that says "Application Notice." Did nobody else get this? :eek:

When you sign into the secondary application, under application status and "your current application progress", it will have a yellow box that says "Application Notice." Did nobody else get this? :eek:

I have it too, and my GPA is indeed well below average for Duke. I was actually happy to see the notice, because it lists the lowest numbers that they have accepted and I am at least above those. Still expecting a rejection though! :p

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure everyone receives that notice.

I'm pretty sure everyone receives that notice.
I have it too, and my GPA is indeed well below average for Duke. I was actually happy to see the notice, because it lists the lowest numbers that they have accepted and I am at least above those. Still expecting a rejection though! :p
Ok...makes me feel a little better. I literally thought that maybe they were somehow hinting at a rejection (and maybe they are...)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah, it's there for me too, thats...something :confused:

Sorry if this has been asked, but what is the word limit for these essays?

When you write all six essays and submit.. then find you misspelled a word in one of the essays <<<<<<<<

Looked at this secondary a month ago, was too intimidated, and put it on the backburner. Now we meet again :p

Looked at this secondary a month ago, was too intimidated, and put it on the backburner. Now we meet again :p

same! Except it's still on the backburner for another few days...

Does anyone know if an early interview here helps? Since its non rolling?

There was a thread on this awhile ago, and the consensus (IMO) was that even non-rolling admissions are technically rolling to some degree, since they decide on applicants as they interview somewhat, even if they don't release the decisions. Therefore, it's always to your advantage to interview earlier.

There was a thread on this awhile ago, and the consensus (IMO) was that even non-rolling admissions are technically rolling to some degree, since they decide on applicants as they interview somewhat, even if they don't release the decisions. Therefore, it's always to your advantage to interview earlier.

I REALLY don't think it makes a difference here.

Anyone know the interview/acceptance ratio?

For those of you with II's, did any of you apply PCLT? Or just the regular MD program?

So if I was submitted on the 7/6 and primary verified on 6/08... Is it safe to say I was rejected here? Their secondary invitation said they don't give rejection e-mails, which is why I'm asking.

Apparently they updated the portal last year if you got rejected, check that! I doubt you'd be rejected this early in the game

Apparently they updated the portal last year if you got rejected, check that! I doubt you'd be rejected this early in the game
Ahhhh- it just says complete/in screening. So am I safe still? lol Hope so. Thanks

Yeah you should be fine. If I remember correctly, that status started changing to rejection in late August/September

For those with FAP: did you forward the confirmation first, then submit? If so, how long was it until you received an email regarding the waiver?

Currently toying with the idea of adding yet another school: Duke

Online it says: "For those who are planning to apply for the 2015-2016 admissions cycle with anticipation of matriculation during Fall 2016, our academic expectations will change. Our academic expectations will include multidisciplinary coursework in the following areas and completion of the current MCAT or MCAT 2015"

I did not take the MCAT 2015, am I still qualified to apply? I feel like some people on this thread who've received IIs have posted their pre-2015 MCAT scores...but according to this bit of info online these people will need to eventually take the MCAT 2015. I'm confused.

Current MCAT! It's in the words you highlighted. Edit: they wrote this before then 2015 MCAT was administered.

Currently toying with the idea of adding yet another school: Duke

Online it says: "For those who are planning to apply for the 2015-2016 admissions cycle with anticipation of matriculation during Fall 2016, our academic expectations will change. Our academic expectations will include multidisciplinary coursework in the following areas and completion of the current MCAT or MCAT 2015"

I did not take the MCAT 2015, am I still qualified to apply? I feel like some people on this thread who've received IIs have posted their pre-2015 MCAT scores...but according to this bit of info online these people will need to eventually take the MCAT 2015. I'm confused.
Take a long, hard look at those essays before committing yourself :confused:

Reactions: 3 users
I was told by admissions that Jan. 2013 to present in acceptable.

For those with FAP: did you forward the confirmation first, then submit? If so, how long was it until you received an email regarding the waiver?
I did the confirmation first, just because I wasn't finished with the essays yet (soooo many). They got back to me the same day with approval. Hope this helps and good luck!

I did the confirmation first, just because I wasn't finished with the essays yet (soooo many). They got back to me the same day with approval. Hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you, did you just forward the FAP approval email? Still haven't heard back from Duke

Can I ask how long it took to get the secondary from verification date? I've only been verified for five days haha but I'm really really anxious to apply. Pre-wrote and everything.

I got mine the same day i submitted. Not sure how typical that is.

II via e-mail yesterday afternoon! Complete on July 19th, and applied PCLT. This is absolutely a blessing; definitely feel like I belong in NC. :)

OOS applicant; LizzyM of ~76

Reactions: 7 users
Forwarded my FAP confirmation last Wednesday and still no reply. Should I call by this point?

Dear Duke,
Please give me a chance. I'll bake you one of my shortbreads that have a pound of butter in them.
Thanks,
Albert Finestein

TL;DR: complete 7/3 WHERE MY INTERVIEW AT

Reactions: 6 users
II today :DDDDDD Bouncing off the walls!

Reactions: 6 users