You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm just basing my conclusion off the above posts and the fact I haven't received a call. It is possible that whoever spoke to @skinniminni was only referring to non-PCLT applicants. I tried to call just now and didn't get through. I guess we'll find out soon enough! (unless someone knows otherwise)
So Andrea from the admissions office called me back. She said she's not sure all the PCLT calls have gone out but will follow up with the director. She said I (maybe all of us as a group?) should hear in 24 hours, which I fear for now.... But she was really nice to call me back after getting my missed call!
Thanks! Do you have any information about admit weekend? Was hoping to book my flight soon, and just wanted to confirm dates.I saw a huge stack of letters getting ready to be sent out today, so I expect everyone will find out soon. Congrats to those who have been accepted. I'll do my best to help if you have any questions/concerns/etc.!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least we'll know for sure in 24 hours! Thanks for passing on this information. If you do hear back either way, I'd love to know if I can move on with my life or keep staring at my phone lol. So much fun!So Andrea from the admissions office called me back. She said she's not sure all the PCLT calls have gone out but will follow up with the director. She said I (maybe all of us as a group?) should hear in 24 hours, which I fear for now.... But she was really nice to call me back after getting my missed call!
Does duke give out merit scholarships? Were they all given out via phone call or are some given out after the fact too?
I recognize that some of this emotion is related to an inevitable WL or rejection, but I'm just flabbergasted by how all this went down. Duke is obviously an excellent academic institution, but the way this process was handled (especially in light of last year's debacle) just does not make any sense to me
Not everyone who is accepted decides to matriculate. Schools usually accept more students than they plan on having attend.can anyone confirm the claim that duke took 0 applicants off the wait list last year? I thought I saw somewhere they accepted 200ish applicants, which is more than their class size and indicates there was WL movement.
can anyone confirm the claim that duke took 0 applicants off the wait list last year? I thought I saw somewhere they accepted 200ish applicants, which is more than their class size and indicates there was WL movement.
absolutely untrue. my M1 student host said he had many classmates get off the waitlist.
A current student mentioned that although very few came off the wait list last year, tons of people came off the year before- so it varies greatly year to year
I also have a friend who got off the waitlist last year!
A current student mentioned that although no one came off the wait list last year, tons of people came off the year before- so it varies greatly year to year
Hmmmmmm
edit - wait a second. Oldpremed did you edit? lol
Haha yes you exposed the evidence before I could sweep it under the rug!! But honestly I didn't mean absolute 0, just very few.
can anyone confirm the claim that duke took 0 applicants off the wait list last year? I thought I saw somewhere they accepted 200ish applicants, which is more than their class size and indicates there was WL movement.
I most definitely talked to a MS1 at my interview who said she got off the waitlist in July - that would suggest that this isn't true.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got off the phone with admissions. All of the acceptances have been offered. They sent out the letters in the mail yesterday, so we'll be getting a letter about waitlists/rejections by the end of the week. If not they'll email us.
Not sure why they couldn't just update the portal with WLs/rejections. I think calling everyone who got accepted and then waiting a full week to tell the rest of the applicants their decision is cruel and unusual. Honestly, what is the point of that?
<womp womp> now all I can pray for is a waitlist....
Well... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
Well... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
i now trust nothing anyone says in this thread
Congrats! Can I ask if you're Pclt?!Well... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
Thanks! I was not a PCLT applicant.Congrats! Can I ask if you're Pclt?!
Well... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
what the what!! congrats!!!!Well... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
I called the admissions office and they said the same thing, that all acceptances had been given out so the faulty info is not on our endi now trust nothing anyone says in this thread
7
708445
It's 2015 all over againWell... I had completely given up hope. Just got an acceptance call about 45 min ago.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I have stalked this forum. I have balked this forum. I have loved this forum. I have loathed this forum. I have never posted on studentdoctor.net until today... because today I got a call -- my first call -- and was congratulated on being accepted to Duke Medical School. If you, like me, were feeling down throughout this admissions process, to you I say, hold out hope. They are still giving out calls.
EDIT: Called at around 4 pm eastern time today
EDIT: Called at around 4 pm eastern time today
Maybe people immediately declined the offers and opened up more spots? Or called back and did so later in the day? Of course, both of those situations are crazy--who wouldn't even think about it for a day? Grr. This situation has not affected my day at all!
7
708445
.
Last edited by a moderator:
I also got a call today at 11am. I had already given up! Best of luck to everyone still waiting! 🙂
You shouldn't be so critical. It's not like Duke accepts students into their program every year. Plus, to coordinate something of this magnitude you'd probably need an entire office dedicated to the task...like an "office of admitting affairs" or something....who know's what you'd even call it. /sUnbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.
EDIT: Congratulations to all of you of course. But really. Two years in a row??
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, if we weren't on sdn, we'd be none the wiser of their inefficient acceptance protocols. We'd just hear back sometime during the first week of March, like they told us we would.You shouldn't be so critical. It's not like Duke accepts students into their program every year. Plus, to coordinate something of this magnitude you'd probably need an entire office dedicated to the task...like an "office of admitting affairs" or something....who know's what you'd even call it. /s
7
708445
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Except this process is literally the opposite of what they said. This is a screengrab of the secondary application portal:Honestly, if we weren't on sdn, we'd be none the wiser of their inefficient acceptance protocols. We'd just hear back sometime during the first week of March, like they told us we would.
"We anticipate distribution of admission decisions to occur some time in early March 2016. This year, all admission decisions will be distributed electronically- via email (applicants offered admission, applicants offered a wait list position, and applicants who will not be offered admission). Decisions will be sent to the email address we have on file in your Duke Med Application Account. DECISIONS WILL NOT BE GIVEN OVER THE TELEPHONE (this policy is in place to protect your privacy)."
And yet, instead of email, accepted students heard by phone while those who are rejected/waitlisted will hear by snail mail.
Their admissions process has made me a little bitter. I'm not feeling very charitable toward Duke right now, and every "I just got a call. Don't give up hope!" reply in this thread only makes it worse.
Me trying to figure out why Duke didn't just send out emails LIKE THEY SAID THEY WOULD:
I honestly just feel that Duke's webmaster needs to thoroughly review what's written rather on the portal rather than just change the date every year. This may have been their policy years ago, and no one every bothered to update it.
Also really hoping that I don't receive a notice telling me to take a sociology class over the summer.
Also really hoping that I don't receive a notice telling me to take a sociology class over the summer.
maybe a significant number of people withdrew from Duke today?? I know a couple of acceptances came out at other schools today.
Last edited:
* deep sigh *
So consensus is that WLs are coming out today?
Hope so. And to everyone who ends up getting waitlisted, that is still a HUGE accomplishment (telling myself this too ha). Seriously though, it's a testament to the work we've all done.
7
708445
"They don't call the waitlisted guy doctor" says the voice in my head 🙁Hope so. And to everyone who ends up getting waitlisted, that is still a HUGE accomplishment (telling myself this too ha). Seriously though, it's a testament to the work we've all done.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
They don't call the accepted student "Doctor" either. All of us are still years of hard work away from that. And if you made it this far in Duke's process there is no doubt that you have what it takes to get in!"They don't call the waitlisted guy doctor" says the voice in my head 🙁
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
7
708445
Granted yes, I agree, and I'm not trying to be "that guy"... It's just more heartbreaking because though everyone keeps saying things like this, I'm still not holding any acceptances. This was in a lot of ways make or break for me, and I'm not holding out much hope for my last few decisions.They don't call the accepted student "Doctor" either. All of us are still years of hard work away from that. And if you made it this far in Duke's process there is no doubt that you have what it takes to get in!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Surely your other decisions give you better chances than 200:750...?Granted yes, I agree, and I'm not trying to be "that guy"... It's just more heartbreaking because though everyone keeps saying things like this, I'm still not holding any acceptances. This was in a lot of ways make or break for me, and I'm not holding out much hope for my last few decisions.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I wish you the best of luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students? Anyone has received the official letter yet?
Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students? Anyone has received the official letter yet?
Current students have created a FB group and the link should be coming soon to you guys.
No, haven't received the official letter yet either. The person who called me said it would be mailed out and should be arriving in a few daysIs there a Facebook group or something for accepted students? Anyone has received the official letter yet?
7
708445
Anybody get a WL email?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Nope nothin
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K