2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haven't received a secondary yet and was verified 6/3... anyone in the same boat or know what could be going on?
No secondary yet, verified for a few weeks like you. It's day one, I'm not too worried about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted and got the same message. Are your LOR's in? Maybe that's why?
Yes everything is in. I called AMCAS so what is happening is that they JUST sent the data today from AMCAS and the school has to actually download our applications hence why it says its not verified. Wait a few days and it will be all good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am wondering is the process holistic.. like are they going to loook at EVERYTHING and then deny/reject or will they screen THEN look at everything

Received the secondary this morning and GW doesn't say anything about verified or unverified.
We have received your preliminary AMCAS information regarding your application submission to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Doctor of Medicine Program for Fall 2016 entry. We appreciate your interest in our program and would like to invite you to complete our secondary application.

Please proceed to the following website where there will be further instructions on how to complete your GW Secondary Application.
It isn't until you submit the secondary that it talks about the AMCAS verification

Just received my secondary! AMCAS verified at 8am this morning.

Anyone who hasn't received one yet, don't panic:

"Please note that GW does not screen on the basis of the AMCAS application. We invite all applicants who submit an AMCAS application to GW to complete the secondary application and submit letters of recommendation so that we may review the entire file"

Last edited:
Note to self - dont come on this website until after I get my secondaries

I was verified like 6/10 but I didnt input my full school list until last night (had a May MCAT). Although my school still hasnt sent my LOR packet out to AMCAS yet (they wont do it till after this weekend) so that might explain it

Heard back regarding the unverified AMCAS

-- "As today is the first day that data is being transmitted from AMCAS to our office we may not have your full application details yet. This causes your application to appear unverified to our computer system. This should be resolved within 48 hours when the AMCAS transmission catches up. We ask for your patience at this time. We appreciate your interest in GW."

So all us neurotic pre-meds are okay.

Note to self - dont come on this website until after I get my secondaries

I was verified like 6/10 but I didnt input my full school list until last night (had a May MCAT). Although my school still hasnt sent my LOR packet out to AMCAS yet (they wont do it till after this weekend) so that might explain it

I really think it's completely random. Their site says that everyone will get a secondary, so there's nothing to worry about.
I wasn't verified until this morning and I'm still missing 2/5 letter listed, one is a science letter being sent to all my schools. There isn't any rhyme or reason to it lol. I know it's easier said than done, but be patient because your secondary is on its way.

I haven't been verified, but I received a secondary this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received earlier this morning and also just submitted it a few minutes ago.

AMCAS still "unverified" according to GW.

Yay one secondary down! My only secondary received..... :/

Just got my secondary today! Looks like they added a new essay. "What is your most meaningful community service experience to date?"

Members don't see this ad :)
First secondary! Good luck everyone

Got mine 3 minutes ago! First secondary!!! Good luck everyone.

Are you guys interpreting "clinical experience" as a single experience, or the culmination of experiences through one activity i.e. volunteering in the ED?

Are you guys interpreting "clinical experience" as a single experience, or the culmination of experiences through one activity i.e. volunteering in the ED?
I initially interpreted it as the culmination of experiences through one activity, but I suppose it could be either! Just write whatever you feel is stronger

app got verified today at 2:27. received secondary at 2:33 from GWU. Damn that was fast. Good luck guys! That 350 characters to describe most meaningful community service experience and clinical experience is a killer!

What is the best way to approach the "why us?" questions?

Got this as my first secondary at 10:38 am. Good luck everyone!

I also haven't been verified by AMCAS yet, but I received the secondary today. I just submitted my AMCAS late Monday night, so it's weird that they already sent my information to schools.

What is the official acronym for the school of medicine at GW? GW ? GW SMHS? GWSM? haha

Man I really don't wanna copy and paste my meaningful experiences from my AMCAS app. Anyone here doing totally different experiences?

Man I really don't wanna copy and paste my meaningful experiences from my AMCAS app. Anyone here doing totally different experiences?

Im questioning this. Since I have one thing as "most meaningful" on my primary. I don't want to be repetitive though....
But i have a second meaningful clinical experience in mind I might use.

i'm happy that the requirement is only 350 characters but also, how in the world can that be answered in 350 characters?! I wrote what I thought was the absolute minimum and it turned out to be 700 characters haha

i'm happy that the requirement is only 350 characters but also, how in the world can that be answered in 350 characters?! I wrote what I thought was the absolute minimum and it turned out to be 700 characters haha

I ended up rewriting the clinical one like 4 times to get it to fit. -_-

So excited to be submitting this secondary! My first choice without a doubt! Good luck to us all!

At my school, the lab for chemistry is only a 1 hour lab and the requirements for GWU are 2 hours of gen chem lab, is this affecting anyone else?

Same boat of not yet received. Verified last week, but no LOR from school. So does that mean that I have to wait for those to get in? Because I tried to make a new account using my AMCAS ID and email and I wasn't able to. Do you guys think they just haven't gotten to mine yet?

Super super super awesome school. Secondary submitted!

Same boat of not yet received. Verified last week, but no LOR from school. So does that mean that I have to wait for those to get in? Because I tried to make a new account using my AMCAS ID and email and I wasn't able to. Do you guys think they just haven't gotten to mine yet?

That's exactly it. I had that problem earlier today, but I got an email about the secondary and could log in. So just be patient.

Do any of you know if scribing counts as a clinical activity based on the criterion "direct patient contact?" Obviously I am around patients a lot, but I don't talk to them much except for occasional pleasantries when the doctor steps out of the room. It certainly fits the LizzyM definition but I mean I never actually touch anyone.

Do any of you know if scribing counts as a clinical activity based on the criterion "direct patient contact?" Obviously I am around patients a lot, but I don't talk to them much except for occasional pleasantries when the doctor steps out of the room. It certainly fits the LizzyM definition but I mean I never actually touch anyone.
One would certainly think so, I mean people doing physician shadowing or clinical research or any of those things don't literally touch patients either.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the best way to approach the "why us?" questions?

Have a look at their website and see what programs and parts of their curriculum you like the best. I think their track programs are really interesting so I'd definitely mention those.

I also haven't been verified by AMCAS yet, but I received the secondary today. I just submitted my AMCAS late Monday night, so it's weird that they already sent my information to schools.

I submitted my AMCAS application 6/20, have not been verified, but I too received a secondary this morning. Anyone know if it's possible for AMCAS to send out your application before verifying??

I submitted my AMCAS application 6/20, have not been verified, but I too received a secondary this morning. Anyone know if it's possible for AMCAS to send out your application before verifying??

Yes, GW almost always does that.

"A letter of good standing is also required from those currently enrolled in a graduate program. Please do not submit this letter until it is specifically requested by the committee (once selected for an interview)."

I assume this is a letter of good standing from the graduate program, not undergrad?

I have a 4.0 in my grad program and have not had any disciplinary infractions, so I imagine I'm alright. How important is this letter of good standing in terms of its impact on being accepted? Is there a specific sort of 'letter of good standing' format that I need to seek from my school, or can I just get the head of my department to write a letter on my behalf?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My letter from my committee will not be in until August 7th at the latest. I got my secondary yesterday. I hear it is just taking a while. They may not have gotten to yours.

Im glad I'm not the only one who thought these essays were redundant haha

Im questioning this. Since I have one thing as "most meaningful" on my primary. I don't want to be repetitive though....
But i have a second meaningful clinical experience in mind I might use.
I'm with you. I have already listed my most meaningful clinical AND community service on AMCAS, don't want to be redundant but the point of listing it as most meaningful was that it truly was the most meaningful to me... I don't want to make up some bull about another just to have another thing to talk about. What are others doing?

I wrote the same as on my AMCAS

To complete their file, applicants are required to submit either:

• A Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee Letter (required if available to you) OR

• Three individuals letters, at least one of which must be from a science faculty member familiar with your academic work.*
Are you allowed to submit MORE than three? I couldn't find the maximum limit

To complete their file, applicants are required to submit either:

• A Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee Letter (required if available to you) OR

• Three individuals letters, at least one of which must be from a science faculty member familiar with your academic work.*
Are you allowed to submit MORE than three? I couldn't find the maximum limit

According to MSAR the maximum is 5.

I'm with you. I have already listed my most meaningful clinical AND community service on AMCAS, don't want to be redundant but the point of listing it as most meaningful was that it truly was the most meaningful to me... I don't want to make up some bull about another just to have another thing to talk about. What are others doing?

Well for me it was different. On my primary my most meaningful community service experience wasn't one of my 3 most meaningful experiences. I had 3 others under my most meaningful.
Even still, on this app I actually described why I pursued this community service experience as opposed to describing it/discussing what I learned from it like I did in my primary.
I may have to be a little redundant on the most meaningful clinical experience, although I think I will choose one single instance (patient) within an experience to make it a little more specific.

FYI for anyone wondering the character limit does NOT include spaces

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary submitted... I would love to attend this school. Hope I get some II love!