2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else complete on the first day and still not have a status update (beyond the complete message)? Kind of a bummer, not sure what to make of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
me too. on hold for re-review. I heard it's not a bad thing. That means they liked some parts of your application but were unsure about other parts. Once they go through more applications, they go back and review yours to see how you compare. There's always good and bads things about applying early I guess.
Last cycle I was on hold from August-February and then invited to interview in February! Many of my friends were rejected without being placed on hold. Obviously things can change from cycle to cycle, but stay positive because hold is not necessarily a bad sign.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else complete on the first day and still not have a status update (beyond the complete message)? Kind of a bummer, not sure what to make of it.
No status update either, we will probably hear back soon as this school gets tons of applications.

From what I've seen GWU says they use super-score for MCAT...food for thought
I wonder how or if they incorporate super mcat into the new MCAT scoring. I took the old one once and the new one once. I wonder if they compare percentile rankings...or just don't do it at all.

I was crazy enough to take the new one twice...back to back :p

me too. on hold for re-review. I heard it's not a bad thing. That means they liked some parts of your application but were unsure about other parts. Once they go through more applications, they go back and review yours to see how you compare. There's always good and bads things about applying early I guess.

I have the same thing...thank you for the optimistic comment haha

I have the same thing...thank you for the optimistic comment haha

Do you, and other people who got that "hold" message, mind sharing your numbers and when you turned in your secondary? I'm freaking out bc I haven't got any change in my status lol.

Do you, and other people who got that "hold" message, mind sharing your numbers and when you turned in your secondary? I'm freaking out bc I haven't got any change in my status lol.

My stats are pretty low (3.6 cGPA/30 MCAT), so don't worry about it. You're probably fine!

LizzyM 71 and was submitted on 7/1 -- saw the hold on 7/8. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM 74+ Secondary submitted on 7/2 - On Hold showed up sometime after that.

I got the hold this morning... :/ I submitted on 7/2.

What is the consensus on letters here?? I know the max is 5, and I have 5, but I'm wondering if I should send them all or not :/

Status changed to on hold as of today. As I mentioned above, submitted 7/5.

Anybody who is still not on hold for re-review mind sharing their stats? Just curious as I submitted 7/2 and haven't heard anything.

Just changed today to hold for re review, not sure if it's good or bad news.

3.83 cGPA/ 3.82 sGPA, 98th percentile MCAT and still under review. Submitted on 7/7.

Hey all! When it says describe your most meaningful clinical experience, is it ever appropriate to describe a scenario when you were the patient..? How about when the patient was a friend? I've been volunteering and have had wonderful experiences but honestly think the most profound moments was when I or a friend was seeing the doctor...

^That's good question. Any GW med students on here wanna comment on this?

Hey all! When it says describe your most meaningful clinical experience, is it ever appropriate to describe a scenario when you were the patient..? How about when the patient was a friend? I've been volunteering and have had wonderful experiences but honestly think the most profound moments was when I or a friend was seeing the doctor...
I would hesitate from that, because it asks about direct patient contact. In my opinion I feel like that could indirectly be asking for an experience where you were impacted by patient contact. Although I have the same dilemma, one of my most profound moments was when I was seeing a doctor! I could see both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submitted today, should probably start taking some time off of work to do these damned secondaries... LizzyM 73

In the GW mission statement they state that their goal is to graduate "physician citizens." Has anyone looked deeper into this and if so what do you think they mean by that?

For the most meaningful clinical experience, how are we supposed to describe that in 350 characters? Are we just supposed to list the experience like "hospital volunteering" or are we supposed to describe an actual incident in that few characters?

Almost seems like they are testing us by asking for 350 characters on something that is "most meaningful" to us. Like trying to see how concise yet descriptive we can be.

I got an interview!!! In shock!!!

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats!
Is this the hold status?
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

I submitted first day, and my stats are low.... non-trad nurse with a successful post-bacc. 3.44/34

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted first day, and my stats are low.... non-trad nurse with a successful post-bacc. 3.44/34
My stats are really similar to yours, so that's really encouraging! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!
Is this the hold status?
Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

No, I feel that this is just stating your app is complete. I have this too!

I got the hold just a few days ago and an II today. I don't think it means anything bad!

Reactions: 4 users
I got the hold just a few days ago and an II today. I don't think it means anything bad!

When you get the II, did they send you an email or did you have to check your status on the portal to find out?

My first II! So excited to be making a trip to D.C.!

Reactions: 2 users
When you get the II, did they send you an email or did you have to check your status on the portal to find out?
They emailed me with the interview invite. I checked the portal this morning and it was still on hold. Now it says "Correspondence concerning the status of your application has been sent to you via the preferred email address on file with AMCAS. If you have not received this correspondence, please email us at [email protected]." I don't know when it changed over.

Reactions: 1 user
II! WOO! Submitted the secondary 7/7; interview date 8/25

Reactions: 6 users