2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor? If yes, please provide a description here: (500 characters)
  • Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? If yes, please provide a description here: (500 characters)
  • Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2015-2016 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2016. (750 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
  • What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Currently waitlisted here (slim chance of getting in given that GWU interviewed over 1k applicants last cycle *data from MSAR). This school is my 1st choice if I can get in this cycle ...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Applicant. GW is definitely one of my favorite OOS schools I'm applying to. Good luck everyone!

Received my secondary this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
@tensticks Were all your letters in?

Generally, do schools wait on them before they send a secondary?

Haha this is funny, link isn't working for me either

I received it this morning as well but my AMCAS wasn't even verified yet! The link isn't working for me either..

still haven't gotten it. do they screen? What was the subject line of the email

Members don't see this ad :)
still haven't gotten it. do they screen? What was the subject line of the email

I haven't, either. And I don't believe they screen. Could just be taking a little while! They probably send them out in batches.

I just received another email with a different link that worked. Let me read it and I'll post the questions.

....I don't know what you guys are talking about? My link worked...

Prompts:

Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2015-2016 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2016. (750 characters)

What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)

What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

@arianna_n No my letters are not in. Med schools don't need them until they start looking at your secondary app.

Reactions: 2 users
4. Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (500 char)
6. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) for the 2015-2016 application cycle, or from the point of application through matriculation in 2016. (750 characters)
7a. What is your most meaningful community service experience to date? (350 characters)
7b. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)
8. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
9. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

The other questions are biographical questions (alternative name, etc). Hope this helps

Got the secondary this morning too! Verified 6/12

Ugh, why are there so many 'most meaningful' questions! Anybody feel that it's ok to reuse most meaningful from primaries?

I didn't get mine yet. Verified 06/26. Anyone in the same boat?

Also is it 350 characters or 350 words? 350 characters is quite small.

I didn't get mine either, yet. I was verified at 8am this morning, though. I'm not worried...I think they send them out in batches.

yea 350 is short, but I asked and they confirmed its 350 characters and not words.

Got my secondary today too - not super excited about these prompts :|

I didn't get mine yet. Verified 06/26. Anyone in the same boat?

Also is it 350 characters or 350 words? 350 characters is quite small.

Someone should verify this, but when I started typing it was 500 characters (not including spaces). It is definitely characters not words.

@Oranges2 Yeah, I have no idea how to get creative for this one!

1. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities....for the 2015-2016 application cycle
Well, I listed on my primary that I'm working full-time and volunteering+ shadowing until August 2016 lol

2. What is your most meaningful community service experience to date?
I listed on my primary a community service experience as "most meaningful"

3. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact?
Also listed on primary under "most meaningful"

4. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW?
I'll use my diversity statement here, but this was also touched on in my PS.

5. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why?
This is probably the only useful question they've asked on their secondary haha

Just received the secondary app! Verified 06/24, but letters still have not reached AMCAS. I guess that's what I get for using my college's crappy LOR submission service...

@rachiie01 ugh i know! so frustrating. I wonder if its bc sometimes adcoms divvy up work and not everyone will necessarily read application in its entirety? In any case, whatever, I'm not going to try to BS some most meaningful experience just bc I already talked about it in my primary. If there's overlap, then so be it

i received a secondary too. although i was verified in june, i receive this message
We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue. If you have recently been verified by AMCAS (within the last 24 hours), please be patient as it may take 24-48 hours to update in our system and your status will be updated as soon as this occurs.

Maybe I am just paranoid. I was verified 6/23 and have yet to receive any secondaries. GW is my first choice school (and also a bit of a reach tbh) and I haven't received anything yet. Does anyone know if they actually screen?

Maybe I am just paranoid. I was verified 6/23 and have yet to receive any secondaries. GW is my first choice school (and also a bit of a reach tbh) and I haven't received anything yet. Does anyone know if they actually screen?
I am also freaking out! I was verified 6/10 and haven't received a single secondary!

re: the clinical experience 350 character prompt.

Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about a specific patient interaction that was striking within a clinical experience? Or are they just asking for a description of the clinical experience in general?

Is it weird that I actually enjoyed filling out this secondary.....

re: the clinical experience 350 character prompt.

Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about a specific patient interaction that was striking within a clinical experience? Or are they just asking for a description of the clinical experience in general?

my gut is description, since you literally only have 2-3 sentences of space.

I am also freaking out! I was verified 6/10 and haven't received a single secondary!
I'm in the same boat! I was verified 6/15, but I haven't heard. I'm sure we will, though. I don't think they have screened in years and I doubt they will change that.

Received the secondary this morning and submitted it!

My GWU says my AMCAS app is unverified.
AMCAS was verified 6/10 and contacted AMCAS and they again verified that my application is complete and processed and indicated I should contact GWU to see what was wrong. I just sent them an email?? So none of us are alone!

I submitted my secondary as well and my AMCAS was verified 6/10 and contacted AMCAS and they again verified that my application is complete and processed and indicated I should contact GWU to see what was wrong. I just sent them an email?? So none of us are alone!
Did you already get a secondary from GW? I am confused.

anyone still havent recieve a secondary?

Received the secondary this morning and submitted it!

My GWU says my AMCAS app is unverified.
AMCAS was verified 6/10 and contacted AMCAS and they again verified that my application is complete and processed and indicated I should contact GWU to see what was wrong. I just sent them an email?? So none of us are alone!
Same thing happened to me!

I dislike this 350 character limit.

Thoughts on if your most meaningful community service is also your most meaningful clinical experience? Explain two aspects of the same experience or find something else that fits for one?

Thoughts on if your most meaningful community service is also your most meaningful clinical experience? Explain two aspects of the same experience or find something else that fits for one?
I personally would do two different experiences.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to describe two different aspects. And I doubt it will be redundant due to the 350 character limit!!! That's INSANE

Received the secondary this morning and GW doesn't say anything about verified or unverified.
We have received your preliminary AMCAS information regarding your application submission to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Doctor of Medicine Program for Fall 2016 entry. We appreciate your interest in our program and would like to invite you to complete our secondary application.

Please proceed to the following website where there will be further instructions on how to complete your GW Secondary Application.

Received the secondary this morning and GW doesn't say anything about verified or unverified.
We have received your preliminary AMCAS information regarding your application submission to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences Doctor of Medicine Program for Fall 2016 entry. We appreciate your interest in our program and would like to invite you to complete our secondary application.

Please proceed to the following website where there will be further instructions on how to complete your GW Secondary Application.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to describe two different aspects. And I doubt it will be redundant due to the 350 character limit!!! That's INSANE
Is this secondary the same as last year? Can you post it?

nevermind, looked up in the thread and found it :)

haven't received a secondary yet and was verified 6/3... anyone in the same boat or know what could be going on?

Reactions: 3 users