You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
4
494110
I'll leave this here. I'm a current MS1 about to become an MS2 (finally!). Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll do my best to check the forum but if you really want something answered it is best to PM me and pass the info along as needed. We are currently studying for finals coming up next week so it may take me awhile to get back. So far, I have loved it here. It has been a wonderful experience in all settings social and academic but it really is what you make it. The school is very OOS friendly. Do keep in mind that we regularly receive over 13,000 applications for roughly 1,000 interviews (not sure what kind of acceptance #s they have though). I'm not trying to be discouraging--just giving you what I've heard--you'll soon learn that the idea of a "safety" school is kind of silly when applying to med schools. The only thing US News is useful for is an ego boost. Check our match list to see where we place our grads (do this for any school you are interested in) and try to figure out what our Step 1 averages are (not actually sure, I just know we are consistently above the national average). We place an insane amount of grads into diagnostic rad if you had any interest. Only bit of advice I can give for those applying: stay off the forum as much as possible, it is a cesspool for desperation. Come here if you have a legitimate question or update, but trying to speculate and predict what the AdCom is doing will ruin your mental state. Seriously, go outside, go to the gym, go on a first date. Go do anything besides hang out here and panic--you will be much happier at the end of the application cycle regardless of an acceptance. I'll step off the soap box now. Once again, feel free to PM me, I honestly won't check the forum that often.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll leave this here. I'm a current MS1 about to become an MS2 (finally!). Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll do my best to check the forum but if you really want something answered it is best to PM me and pass the info along as needed. We are currently studying for finals coming up next week so it may take me awhile to get back. So far, I have loved it here. It has been a wonderful experience in all settings social and academic but it really is what you make it. The school is very OOS friendly. Do keep in mind that we regularly receive over 13,000 applications for roughly 1,000 interviews (not sure what kind of acceptance #s they have though). I'm not trying to be discouraging--just giving you what I've heard--you'll soon learn that the idea of a "safety" school is kind of silly when applying to med schools. The only thing US News is useful for is an ego boost. Check our match list to see where we place our grads (do this for any school you are interested in) and try to figure out what our Step 1 averages are (not actually sure, I just know we are consistently above the national average). We place an insane amount of grads into diagnostic rad if you had any interest. Only bit of advice I can give for those applying: stay off the forum as much as possible, it is a cesspool for desperation. Come here if you have a legitimate question or update, but trying to speculate and predict what the AdCom is doing will ruin your mental state. Seriously, go outside, go to the gym, go on a first date. Go do anything besides hang out here and panic--you will be much happier at the end of the application cycle regardless of an acceptance. I'll step off the soap box now. Once again, feel free to PM me, I honestly won't check the forum that often.
Are the other medical students here generally happy? I think I'be heard some noise on SDN about how the medical students are often miserable at NYMC...
4
494110
Happiness depends on the schedule entirely. Visit our school the weekend before exams and you won't see a lot of smiling, well-slept faces. Visit our school on Friday after about 2 pm and you will see nothing but (probably not well-slept though). Everyone in my social circle seems genuinely happy the majority of the time, the year has had its ups and downs though. It's hard to believe it would be much different anywhere else. Just watch our med school music video parodies on YouTube, people here are goofy and fun-loving.
As for letters of rec, just follow the instructions on the admissions page. If its required then send it, if its recommended then try to get one but if you can't, submit what you can (not sure what effect it will have on an application).
As for letters of rec, just follow the instructions on the admissions page. If its required then send it, if its recommended then try to get one but if you can't, submit what you can (not sure what effect it will have on an application).
The letter of req requirements from the website say this: "For each letter please enter the name and title of the letter writer, the course name and number, the name of your undergraduate or graduate college where you took the course, and the number of credit hours earned. It is very important you check the appropriate box to indicate which letter(s) is from your undergraduate major"
I'm super confused as to where we put this information?! Anyone know?
I'm super confused as to where we put this information?! Anyone know?
I believe you put that on the secondary.
.... Only bit of advice I can give for those applying: stay off the forum as much as possible, it is a cesspool for desperation. Come here if you have a legitimate question or update, but trying to speculate and predict what the AdCom is doing will ruin your mental state. Seriously, go outside, go to the gym, go on a first date. Go do anything besides hang out here and panic--you will be much happier at the end of the application cycle regardless of an acceptance. I'll step off the soap box now. Once again, feel free to PM me, I honestly won't check the forum that often.
Read your post - got motivated and texted this girl I liked for awhile and landed my first date ever - thanks for the advice! 😀
I'm going to call tomorrow but does anyone know off the top of their head how strict having a LOR from a faculty member from the department you majored in is? The structure of classes within my major was to have 3 professors switch off lecturing units, so I was never able to get to know any professor, and thus don't have a LOR from a professor within my major.
Anyone willing to post the prompts for the secondary app?
I'll be applying this year, and am waiting for my AMCAS to be verified and i wanted to pre-write secondaries as I wait. Good luck everyone!
I'll be applying this year, and am waiting for my AMCAS to be verified and i wanted to pre-write secondaries as I wait. Good luck everyone!
Do some digging...NYMC 2014-2015, 2013-2014, etc....These threads will have that cycle's secondary questions.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-medical-college-application-thread.1074021/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-medical-college-application-thread.1004335/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rk-medical-college-application-thread.895237/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-medical-college-application-thread.1074021/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-medical-college-application-thread.1004335/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rk-medical-college-application-thread.895237/
Its a 60 minute test developed at McMaster University
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/casper.htmlanyone know what this whole CASPer thing NYMC is doing this year with their secondary is all about?
anyone know what this whole CASPer thing NYMC is doing this year with their secondary is all about?
Yeah interested in this as well...This will be included in the secondary this year??
Yes.Yeah interested in this as well...This will be included in the secondary this year??
Yes.
Oh wow that's pretty cool!! Thanks for the info!
I plan on developing borderline alcoholism during the application season. Helps keep your mind off things.Go do anything besides hang out here and panic--you will be much happier at the end of the application cycle regardless of an acceptance. I'll step off the soap box now. Once again, feel free to PM me, I honestly won't check the forum that often.
Does anyone know anyone in need of a female roommate? Currently homeless.
I would post on the 2014-2015 thread if I were you. Since this is the 2015-2016 thread, the vast majority of people on here are applying to matriculate in 2016, so you probably won't have much success on this thread.Does anyone know anyone in need of a female roommate? Currently homeless.
Filling out the secondary and there isn't enough room for my letter author's full title... what should I do? Get as much in as possible or abbreviate?
Filling out the secondary and there isn't enough room for my letter author's full title... what should I do? Get as much in as possible or abbreviate?
you got a secondary? Any essays/questions? Did you sign up for CASPer in order to receive it?
you got a secondary? Any essays/questions? Did you sign up for CASPer in order to receive it?
Yes, sorry for not posting earlier. I received it this afternoon around 3 EST. The only questions are biographical ones (relatives which are alumni, etc.). You also have to fill out your letter of evaluation author's information: Name, title, the name of the course they taught you, the course number, and the number of credits. You also have to click yes or no if that was your major. It asks for 2 science LOE and 1 non-science. 1 of these must be from your major which you signified on AMCAS. You can also put 2 additional LOE as well which can be from anyone (faculty or non-faculty). After that its just the fee ($120) and that's it.
I did sign up for the CASPer thing, they have a few date's to take the "exam" and they give you a sample of what this exam is like. I'm going to take it in a bit and I'll let you guys know how it went.
^^Seriously.... it's a little ridiculous how they nickel and dime us applicants.. I wonder what other schools do this? I saw that Rutgers does..
So if you majored in Biology and your letters are from your chemistry and physics professors, you pretty much can't submit a secondary to this school? Wow that is the stupidest thing I may have ever heard.
Yes, sorry for not posting earlier. I received it this afternoon around 3 EST. The only questions are biographical ones (relatives which are alumni, etc.). You also have to fill out your letter of evaluation author's information: Name, title, the name of the course they taught you, the course number, and the number of credits. You also have to click yes or no if that was your major. It asks for 2 science LOE and 1 non-science. 1 of these must be from your major which you signified on AMCAS. You can also put 2 additional LOE as well which can be from anyone (faculty or non-faculty). After that its just the fee ($120) and that's it.
I did sign up for the CASPer thing, they have a few date's to take the "exam" and they give you a sample of what this exam is like. I'm going to take it in a bit and I'll let you guys know how it went.
What if we're using a committee letter? I'm not sure my school will tell me which letters of evaluation they ultimately chose. I submitted six but their policy is they take the 3 best ones.
Where/how did you sign up for CASPer?
There is a spot if you have a committee letter instead of individual letters. And you sign up for CASPer when you get the email from the admissions office.
Xyphr: im not sure how that would work. You can call them and find out. It shouldn't be a problem but definitely ask.
Xyphr: im not sure how that would work. You can call them and find out. It shouldn't be a problem but definitely ask.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Per the PDF: "One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science."
Both of my science letters were from my chemistry and physics professors, and my major is biology. Wow I have seriously never heard of such a dumb rule. I want my $35 back.
Both of my science letters were from my chemistry and physics professors, and my major is biology. Wow I have seriously never heard of such a dumb rule. I want my $35 back.
@IlyaR Per MSAR, no screen.
I haven't gotten one either. I wouldn't worry. It seems like they are still early in the process of getting secondaries to everyone they have primaries from.Anyone know if NYMC screens? Still no secondary
anyone who was approved for AMCAS FAP submitting this secondary? are we supposed to provide proof that we qualified for FAP?
Last edited:
Anyone know if NYMC screens? Still no secondary
NYMC gets a HUGE number of applicants each year, I wouldn't fret if we haven't received the secondary yet. Its one of the most applied to schools; I figure they're just releasing secondaries in bunches so we don't all flood the system haha 😉
Both of my science letters were from my chemistry and physics professors, and my major is biology. Wow I have seriously never heard of such a dumb rule. I want my $35 back.
I would call/email them to see if they will make an exception. I have heard that they are actually relatively lenient with letter requirements. Either that or contact an advisor/professor from your major department, apologize for the late notice/explain the situation, and see if they will write you a generic LOR just to cover the requirement. Sucks to have to jump through hoops, but that's the general theme of the application process 😵
I was having the same problem. It said allow 2-3 days for manual verification.I tried signing up for Casper and they say they have to verify my IDS before I can take the test. I have taken countless pictures of my IDs but they keep rejecting it. Has this worked for anyone?!
I used my iPhone and it worked on the first try
For those of you who, like me, have not yet received the secondary, just sit tight and don't panic. I was a little curious how long it took them to get all the secondaries out to people verified in June last year, so I looked at last year's thread. It seems like there were people last year who submitted their primaries in early June and didn't get a secondary from NYMC until 11 days after they first started sending out secondaries. It seems like they like to really spread out the distribution of secondaries over multiple days, so if you're like me and still waiting for yours, don't be concerned.
For people taking CASPer, can you designate colleges that want casper now, before I take the exam and send that exam to other schools after, if I add them? Like NYMC now before exam, then school B if I decide to submit later down the line with same exam, but after I have taken the exam
umm what is CASPer and is he the friendly ghost?
Yea NYMC actually has this new evaluation criteria. You meet with CASPer. If he is 2Spooky4u, then no interview.umm what is CASPer and is he the friendly ghost?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol but in all seriousness, Casper is like MMI screen for interviews.umm what is CASPer and is he the friendly ghost?
Did anyone receive email confirmation when they submitted the secondary? I submitted mine earlier this AM and now I can't log back in to the website and haven't received confirmation....
I can't log back in either. I wonder why...
I have a question regarding the letters of evaluation. I am having my undergrad's career office send in a packet with all of my letters, though it is not a traditional committee letter. In the secondary, should I list it as a committee letter, or list each individual letter within the packet under the Individual Letters section?
