2015-2016 Quinnipiac University (Netter) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how hard Quinnipiac screens for secondaries? Is it just by GPA/MCAT cut-off? Or do they do a thorough review of your primary? I'm pre-writing my secondary for Quinnipiac now, but I don't want to waste all this time effort if I'm not even going to get a secondary from them!

App submitted, OOS. Good luck and God speed.

what are their secondary topics and word limits? thank you!!!

Does anyone know how hard Quinnipiac screens for secondaries? Is it just by GPA/MCAT cut-off? Or do they do a thorough review of your primary? I'm pre-writing my secondary for Quinnipiac now, but I don't want to waste all this time effort if I'm not even going to get a secondary from them!

They screen. According to admissions, this is the threshold for receiving a secondary:

30+ MCAT and 3.0+ total GPA
27-29 MCAT and 3.2+
24-26 MCAT and 3.6+

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the secondary:

(250 WORDS each)
Required:
What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?
Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes will contribute to the "vision, mission and values" of the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine.

Answer two of the following:
What advice (non-academic) would you give to your younger self?
As a physician, how can you impact social change?
Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got an invitation for the secondary as well!

I pre-wrote this one... only 2 of the essays are the same, bummer haha

gonna need to get some glamour shots for this secondary

+1 secondary! Yaaay for questions changing...

Members don't see this ad :)
is there cause for concern if I didn't get the secondary? stats-wise, I'm above the threshold range that was posted above...

is there cause for concern if I didn't get the secondary? stats-wise, I'm above the threshold range that was posted above...

Nope. Don't worry, it will come. Use this time to pre-write or focus on other secondaries!

where do you see this. i looked on
https://www.quinnipiac.edu/academic...epartments/school-of-medicine/admissions/faq/
but don't see that.

I have a 29 MCAT.3.19 sGPA(so clooooose) and 3.3 cGPA but still got a secondary.

I emailed admissions to ask if they screen. I'm not verified yet, but if I'm calculating correctly, my AMCAS cGPA is just over 3.2 and sGPA is dangerously close to 3.0. My MCAT is strong and I have a strong upward trend (3.8+ over the last 4 years/140 credits starting undergrad from scratch), but I am only applying to MD schools that are likely to actually look at my application instead of automatically throwing it in the trash! This breakdown was what the Director of Admissions sent me, and he specified that it's based on cumulative GPA, not sGPA.

My MCAT is strong and I have a strong upward trend (3.8+ over the last 4 years/140 credits starting undergrad from scratch).

nice!!!!

on another note, who did you email. I couldn't find any contact info past a phone number. My school doesn't have a committee and the option for individual letters is
"Letters are used to assess an applicant’s motivation and suitability for medical school and a career as a physician from both an academic and character perspective. Applicants have two options to complete the letters of recommendation requirement:
  • A packet from the applicant’s undergraduate or post-baccalaureate prehealth or premedical office, or a career services office
  • Four individual letters, two of which must be from science faculty members"
Do they mean 4 faculty
I only have 3. But I could use my physician letter or volunteer coordinator if they'll take that

nice!!!!

on another note, who did you email. I couldn't find any contact info past a phone number. My school doesn't have a committee and the option for individual letters is
"Letters are used to assess an applicant’s motivation and suitability for medical school and a career as a physician from both an academic and character perspective. Applicants have two options to complete the letters of recommendation requirement:
  • A packet from the applicant’s undergraduate or post-baccalaureate prehealth or premedical office, or a career services office
  • Four individual letters, two of which must be from science faculty members"
Do they mean 4 faculty
I only have 3. But I could use my physician letter or volunteer coordinator if they'll take that
The way it sounds, two of the letters must be from science faculty and the other two can be from anyone who can assess whether or not you're a good candidate for medical school.

Just submitted secondary. I liked the essays. OOS applicant.

Anyone else having difficulty submitting due to the Letters of Recommendations section not having a field to enter the letters?
Netter.jpg

I think Quinnipiac requires that you submit your letters through the AMCAS, don't they? If so, then that means you haven't created the letter on the AMCAS and assigned it to Quinnipiac yet. You'll probably need to create the letter on the AMCAS, assign it to Quinnipiac, and resubmit your primary. Then, you'll probably need to wait for Quinnipiac to receive your updated primary and update your file with the new information. At that point, the letter will probably appear in your portal, and you'll be able to check the box and submit.

NOTE: This is just me making an educated guess. If you want more legitimate answers, you should probably contact Quinnipiac.

I think Quinnipiac requires that you submit your letters through the AMCAS, don't they? If so, then that means you haven't created the letter on the AMCAS and assigned it to Quinnipiac yet. You'll probably need to create the letter on the AMCAS, assign it to Quinnipiac, and resubmit your primary. Then, you'll probably need to wait for Quinnipiac to receive your updated primary and update your file with the new information. At that point, the letter will probably appear in your portal, and you'll be able to check the box and submit.

NOTE: This is just me making an educated guess. If you want more legitimate answers, you should probably contact Quinnipiac.
Yeah this is really weird. I checked my AMCAS Letter Request tab and Quinnipiac is listed there as a recipient ...

Yeah this is really weird. I checked my AMCAS Letter Request tab and Quinnipiac is listed there as a recipient ...
Have you checked to make sure you submitted after you designated them?

I know Quinnipiac is relatively primary care focused. Is it bad if I mention that I envision myself in surgery for the first secondary question?

When filling out courses on the secondary, should we fill out only 2 for each requirement or more if we have upper level courses in the subject?

When filling out courses on the secondary, should we fill out only 2 for each requirement or more if we have upper level courses in the subject?
Yes, I would only fill out two. Most applicants will have more than the requirement in at least one area, if not more. I don't think they want to have to sift through a whole bunch of extra courses. They'll still see all your courses on your primary.

Friend applied here last year, she wasn't able to submit her secondary until they'd received her committee letter packet. i.e. your letters won't appear on Q's website until they've been received and processed by the school.

She emailed them last year, said she was concerned about the 2 week turnaround since her committee letter wasn't done, they responded that it was more of a guideline and just check back daily and be ready to submit as soon as the letters were marked as received. Everything on the site is timestamped so they can see when you've worked on it, apparently.

hey guys....for the question " what advice (non academic) would you give to your younger self"...if the advice itself is non-academic but I talk about how this piece of advice allowed me to better perform academically is that OK? Or do they not want us to talk about academics at all here, maybe I should call and ask?

Friend applied here last year, she wasn't able to submit her secondary until they'd received her committee letter packet. i.e. your letters won't appear on Q's website until they've been received and processed by the school.

She emailed them last year, said she was concerned about the 2 week turnaround since her committee letter wasn't done, they responded that it was more of a guideline and just check back daily and be ready to submit as soon as the letters were marked as received. Everything on the site is timestamped so they can see when you've worked on it, apparently.

Thanks for the info. That would make a lot of sense. This is really a bummer since my school uses a committee letter (which I have to wait for) I've got all my essays written and am ready to submit :(

i think if you're semester, just put the 2. i'm quarter so i believe i need to put 3, as i took 3 general chemistry course in a year

hey guys....for the question " what advice (non academic) would you give to your younger self"...if the advice itself is non-academic but I talk about how this piece of advice allowed me to better perform academically is that OK? Or do they not want us to talk about academics at all here, maybe I should call and ask?
quite the conundrum. probably call. i'm gonna talk about my crippling shyness when i was a kid :)

You can call and ask, but whatever you write, I would try not to focus the essay on how it helped you to perform better academically. Since the prompt specifically asks for something non-academic, I think they're trying to tell you that they want to know about you as a person instead of you as a student. While it'd probably be okay to mention your studies, focusing your response on your studies would seem to depart from what the prompt was getting at.

No secondary yet either, hopefully we didn't get passed over.:(

What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?
Are these two separate essays?

Don't be too concerned! The word limit is just their way of telling you that they don't want another personal statement, they just want a general idea of what kind of medicine you're thinking about and a little bit of evidence that you have a reason and didn't just say something at random.

They screen. According to admissions, this is the threshold for receiving a secondary:

30+ MCAT and 3.0+ total GPA
27-29 MCAT and 3.2+
24-26 MCAT and 3.6+

There is a separate set of cutoffs for those who have done graduate or post-bacc work, although I do not know the exact thresholds.

Would answering the advice to younger self with being more social early on in college be appropriate? I made friends with my roommate and my best friend from home was also there so i didnt bother "getting out there" to meet people. And now im kinda regretting it due to lack of really any friends from my four years of undergrad. Or does that make me sound horribly lazy/shy/awkward?

Would answering the advice to younger self with being more social early on in college be appropriate? I made friends with my roommate and my best friend from home was also there so i didnt bother "getting out there" to meet people. And now im kinda regretting it due to lack of really any friends from my four years of undergrad. Or does that make me sound horribly lazy/shy/awkward?
I think you could say it as long as you spun it the right way. Like, if you talked about how much richer your life would have been if you had more interpersonal relationships, talked about how you can grow as a person because of those relationships, etc.

I know Quinnipiac is relatively primary care focused. Is it bad if I mention that I envision myself in surgery for the first secondary question?
I have a similar concern, they do mention primary care multiple times in their mission and values...but they can't expect everyone to want to do primary care, right? I am somewhat interested in primary care, but I've really enjoyed all my experiences with emergency medicine. Anyone have more insight?

For the Courses section, if our institution was under the quarter system, do we input the credits according to that or do we convert it to semester credits?

For the advice to myself, it's rather informal--more of a heartfelt letter with some humor. How would adcoms look at that?

also FYI from the website:

Vision, Mission and Values
The vision, mission and values statements were developed by the faculty in 2012. These are part of the School of Medicine bylaws, approved by the faculty council. Given our expanded mission, minor revisions were made to the vision, mission and values statements and are currently being reviewed by the faculty council.

Vision
The Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine will be a model for educating diverse, patient-centered physicians who are partners and leaders in an inter-professional primary care workforce responsive to healthcare needs in the communities they serve.

Mission
The Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine enables medical students to attain their highest personal and professional potential in a collaborative environment that fosters academic excellence, scholarship, lifelong learning, respect and inclusivity.

Values
The Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine embodies the University's commitment to its core values of excellence, student-oriented education and a strong sense of community.

Accordingly, the School of Medicine values:

• Diversity and inclusiveness in all students, faculty, and staff;
  • Excellence in education that places the student at the center of the learning experience, and nurtures the student's independence as a lifelong learner;
  • A learning environment that promotes the provision of holistic, patient-centered primary care;
  • Inter-professional education and service-learning experiences to promote teamwork in the care of patients;
  • Clinical partners who support and promote the school's vision, mission and values;
  • Social justice and the education of physicians to address healthcare inequities;
  • Partnerships within our community that provide students with learning and service opportunities in order to improve the health of the community;
  • Advancement of global health by promoting primary care, patient education, community medicine, public health and international partnerships.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm assuming the answer is no, but has anyone heard whether they will accept Biochem credits in place of Orgo II?

I'm assuming the answer is no, but has anyone heard whether they will accept Biochem credits in place of Orgo II?
I'm also wondering if they will take biochemistry (listed in my transcript as a chem. course) as an inorganic course. Their admissions numbers go straight to voicemail.