2015-2016 Quinnipiac University (Netter) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get one... does this mean I am rejected already:arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are they? I have LizzyM 66 and there are people in this thread that have gotten them with 65!

@orangetea I just got it!! Keep your head up man, I'm sure yours will come soon too. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
To those who have not yet received a secondary, the screening thresholds were posted by a user earlier in this thread as being the following:

30+ MCAT and 3.0+ total GPA
27-29 MCAT and 3.2+
24-26 MCAT and 3.6+

This means that it is not based entirely on LizzyM. Two people could have the same LizzyM, and one could get screened out while the other got a secondary. For example, by those standards, anybody with a GPA below 3.0 will be screened out. Even if you have a 2.9 GPA and a 42 on the MCAT (so a LizzyM of 71), your GPA would get you screened out. Also, anybody with an MCAT below 24 will be screened out. That being said, if you meet the above criteria and haven't received one yet, I'd just hang tight. They're probably just a little backed up right now. If they've had your primary for a couple weeks and you still haven't gotten one, then I'd contact them.

Additionally, Quinnipiac contacted everyone they received a primary from last year. If the applicant had failed the initial screen, Quinnipiac sent them an email informing them that they would not be receiving a secondary. If you haven't gotten this email, I would think you have not yet been rejected.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my secondary a few days ago, really enjoying these questions! Favorite secondary so far.

For the question about social change, is it appropriate to answer from the perspective of how I personally would like to impact social change? Or do you think they want more of how can physicians in general can impact social change?

I'm also wondering if they will take biochemistry (listed in my transcript as a chem. course) as an inorganic course. Their admissions numbers go straight to voicemail.
I contacted them. They will accept biochemistry for second semester organic.

OOS and I received the secondary this morning. I really like the essays for this one!

Secondary received and submitted! Hope to check out this wonderful school.

Members don't see this ad :)
"What advice (non-academic) would you give to your younger self?"

Would I get rejected if I just wrote "Buy that plunger before you needed it" ? :(

Reactions: 1 users

Would I get rejected if I just wrote "Buy that plunger before you needed it" ? :(
Made me chuckle. I sometimes feel bad for the poor souls who have to read 4,000+ of these things. Coming across a funny one is a treat.
Then they will pass it around for yucks before dumping in the trash.

I submitted it, but just realized that I forgot to input each of my parent's job title and income in the Demographic section? Should I be worried?

Just submitted my secondary! Hope to get an interview!

I submitted it, but just realized that I forgot to input each of my parent's job title and income in the Demographic section? Should I be worried?
There's nothing you can do about it now. Just try to put it out of your mind.

Did the virtual tour of this school and was blown away by how it looks.

I'm not sure if anyone would really be able to answer this of if I would be better off contacting the school.

Regarding the LORs. 2/3 of my letters (committee letter and 1 physician letter) have been submitted, processed, and are available to "check off" for submission. Could I still submit without the 3rd letter and either add it later or just not use it even though they'll technically be receiving it since I've designated it on AMCAS?

I'm not sure if anyone would really be able to answer this of if I would be better off contacting the school.

Regarding the LORs. 2/3 of my letters (committee letter and 1 physician letter) have been submitted, processed, and are available to "check off" for submission. Could I still submit without the 3rd letter and either add it later or just not use it even though they'll technically be receiving it since I've designated it on AMCAS?
I can't really remember, but doesn't the page for LORs say something along the lines of: "Don't submit your secondary application until all the letters you will be using appear here?" If so, you shouldn't submit it if you want to use that letter.

I know this is a super nit picky question, but how should we refer to the school itself in our secondaries? Do we call it Quinnipiac or Netter?

I can't really remember, but doesn't the page for LORs say something along the lines of: "Don't submit your secondary application until all the letters you will be using appear here?" If so, you shouldn't submit it if you want to use that letter.

As a matter of fact, it does. I guess I need to learn to read more carefully. Thanks.

I know this is a super nit picky question, but how should we refer to the school itself in our secondaries? Do we call it Quinnipiac or Netter?
I don't think they'll care much which one you call it.

Ugh, I guess this means I can't submit my secondary either, until my committee letter is in. Who knows how long THAT will take..

Just a heads up, I never got an email informing me that my application is complete, but I just checked my portal, and it says my application is complete.

I understand Quinnipiac's goal is to train primary care physicians. I am interested in pediatric oncology. Is it worth applying to Quinnipiac? School is otherwise an excellent fit and looks wonderful (for what the website is worth).

i flooded my bathroom once because i didn't have one...

Ugh, I guess this means I can't submit my secondary either, until my committee letter is in. Who knows how long THAT will take..

Same here

The secondary instructions urge us that completing the secondary within 2 weeks is very important, but yet we can't submit until our committee letters are in...which for me might take 3 weeks or more. What are we supposed to do?

The secondary instructions urge us that completing the secondary within 2 weeks is very important, but yet we can't submit until our committee letters are in...which for me might take 3 weeks or more. What are we supposed to do?
I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you contacted them about this issue. Hopefully, they would make a note in your file that said that it was okay that you submitted your secondary more than 2 weeks after you received it because letters hadn't been uploaded yet.

Regarding question #1, how are you guys approaching it?

wrote about how my experiences in this club made me want to go into primary care

I am curious, because is it a bit superficial to say [insert specialty] when none of us have truly experienced them all?
Let alone the M3/M4's who are unsure about this.

I am curious, because is it a bit superficial to say [insert specialty] when none of us have truly experienced them all?
Let alone the M3/M4's who are unsure about this.
well we have to put something, so we just have to write about what we're most interested in right now. i know lots of people change their mind later

They screen. According to admissions, this is the threshold for receiving a secondary:

30+ MCAT and 3.0+ total GPA
27-29 MCAT and 3.2+
24-26 MCAT and 3.6+
Hm. I have a 35 MCAT and 2.97cGPA and still received a secondary, but Hofstra required me to make a request for extenuating circumstance. Not sure how that works

Also, what's with this question:
Have you ever been subjected to any disciplinary actions by any college/university, been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony, or do you have any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? Seems like they grouped some "not on the same level" stuff

Hm. I have a 35 MCAT and 2.97cGPA and still received a secondary, but Hofstra required me to make a request for extenuating circumstance. Not sure how that works

Have you ever been subjected to any disciplinary actions by any college/university, been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony, or do you have any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? Seems like they grouped some "not on the same level" stuff
I thought the same thing and I had to report a university disciplinary action from my freshman year. I was just sure to thoroughly explain the situation and that it got dropped from my record. My prehealth advisor told me to report it just in case. I hope it doesn't become a red mark by my name.

I don't think that the fact that these things are all grouped together means that they consider them all to be on the same level. Even within individual items on that list, there are widely varying levels of seriousness. For example, disciplinary action from your college could be a result of you hosting a social event that got too loud, or it could be a result of you sexually assaulting someone. I think the grouping of these items was just for convenience and space-saving reasons so that they didn't have to make a separate question for each individual line item.

I don't think that the fact that these things are all grouped together means that they consider them all to be on the same level. Even within individual items on that list, there are widely varying levels of seriousness. For example, disciplinary action from your college could be a result of you hosting a social event that got too loud, or it could be a result of you sexually assaulting someone. I think the grouping of these items was just for convenience and space-saving reasons so that they didn't have to make a separate question for each individual line item.
I wrote that before I realized that a space for explanation appeared after you clicked it. I initially thought it was like:
Have you ever tried sugar, chocolate or heroin? Y/N

Reactions: 5 users
Just submitted the secondary, only to realize that I forgot to fill out the section where it asks for activities during the application year! Do you guys think it would be acceptable to upload a separate document to cover that?

For the questions about the non-academic accomplishment you are extremely proud of, is a research-related experience still considered "non-academic"?

a week later and still didn't get one............... IT HURTS.

Maybe my life is just sad since my accomplishments have all been pretty much academic and research related lol
I think this is where you have to think more broadly about what you call an accomplishment. It doesn't have to be a big award in order to be an accomplishment. It could be planning a family reunion, learning to play Fur Elise on the piano, or keeping a promise to yourself to go running 4 days a week for an entire year. I don't think this question is really about the accomplishment, it's more about trying to learn about you as a person based on why you were proud of this accomplishment.

I think this is where you have to think more broadly about what you call an accomplishment. It doesn't have to be a big award in order to be an accomplishment. It could be planning a family reunion, learning to play Fur Elise on the piano, or keeping a promise to yourself to go running 4 days a week for an entire year. I don't think this question is really about the accomplishment, it's more about trying to learn about you as a person based on why you were proud of this accomplishment.

I think I'm just going to pick the other questions instead lol I honestly can't really think of anything. Thank you for the suggestions though, maybe I'll sleep on it and see if something pops into my head.