You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Rush Medical College Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
OOS II, complete 8/18
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed them and they said unless you are invited for an interview, you won't be able to update your fileAnyone know if Rush takes applicant updates?
II 09/04. Complete 08/14. Stoked for this school!
Would anyone who received an II on Friday mind sharing stats? Thanks!
Non-trad, so my stats may not be totally cut and dry. LizzyM 63 with total cumulative, 69 just with most recent degree.
OOS II, MCAT: 32, GPA: 3.760, complete: 7/27, scheduled interview for 10/7. This was my first time posting on SDN, so I hope I did it right 🙂 good luck everyone!
That 600 hrs is a crazy requirement. I've got about 160 hrs volunteer from 2 activities. I don't suppose the 320 hrs from TA'ing for academic credit will count? Does anyone know the lowest they've accepted, or are they totally deadset on 600?
That 600 hrs is a crazy requirement. I've got about 160 hrs volunteer from 2 activities. I don't suppose the 320 hrs from TA'ing for academic credit will count? Does anyone know the lowest they've accepted, or are they totally deadset on 600?
From what I gather from previous posts, 600 is just the average, and 150 is the minimum. It's obvious that community service hours are extremely important to Rush, but if 600 is the average, then there must be some with fewer than those hours, probably those who can otherwise demonstrate that they jive well with the mission of Rush.
Any chance my time as a TA will count?From what I gather from previous posts, 600 is just the average, and 150 is the minimum. It's obvious that community service hours are extremely important to Rush, but if 600 is the average, then there must be some with fewer than those hours, probably those who can otherwise demonstrate that they jive well with the mission of Rush.
Any chance my time as a TA will count?
Not sure. But if you can speak about your TA experience in a way that makes you seem committed to their service mission, then that experience will likely help to strengthen your application even if those hours don't counts towards a total raw number.
Just got an email from Rush, naively thought it might have been an II as I have been complete since 7/21. Instead, it was an email telling me to complete my application, even though it already is. Doesn't help that i got an email from columbia at the same time, also a school i applied to, encouraging me to apply to their bassett track. So over these schools spamming us poor applicants and making us think the emails are actually IIs.
I just received that message as well. I panicked a little thinking maybe something was holding up my application, but I have had the green check next to "Application File Complete" since late July or early August. I'm hoping that it's just spam and not some issue with my application or their system that has prevented my file from being reviewed all this time.
Edit: I never received a "complete" email. So that's why I was somewhat concerned that my file is actually not complete.
Edit: I never received a "complete" email. So that's why I was somewhat concerned that my file is actually not complete.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so does having less than 150 hours of clinical exposure / shadowing mean an automatic rejection? i don't see anything on that requirement outside of the photo that someone posted in this thread so, i'm confused about how mandatory that minimum is.
According to my lengthy convo with Alyssa in their admissions office (via email), YES, the 150 hours of "healthcare exposre" + 150 hours of "community service" are both mandatory. Anything under 150 hours in each category means your app will not be considered. However, you have the opportunity to designate your hours as you wish in your secondary (question 2 or 3, the one where they ask you to talk about 3 activities) and the rest of your hours will be designated as the adcom sees fit.
That 600 hrs is a crazy requirement. I've got about 160 hrs volunteer from 2 activities. I don't suppose the 320 hrs from TA'ing for academic credit will count? Does anyone know the lowest they've accepted, or are they totally deadset on 600?
As far as your TA'ing goes, whether or not it qualifies as community service depends on whether or not you were paid. Paid = no no for community service (again, from Alyssa).
According to my lengthy convo with Alyssa in their admissions office (via email), YES, the 150 hours of "healthcare exposre" + 150 hours of "community service" are both mandatory. Anything under 150 hours in each category means your app will not be considered. However, you have the opportunity to designate your hours as you wish in your secondary (question 2 or 3, the one where they ask you to talk about 3 activities) and the rest of your hours will be designated as the adcom sees fit.
As far as your TA'ing goes, whether or not it qualifies as community service depends on whether or not you were paid. Paid = no no for community service (again, from Alyssa).
I received academic credit for the TA activities. You think that's too close to a paid activity?
I received academic credit for the TA activities. You think that's too close to a paid activity?
Honestly, I'm not qualified enough to answer that lol... If you just shoot an email to RMC admissions, they have a pretty quick turnaround and Alyssa is super friendly!
FWIW In my mind if you got any sort of credit for it or payment it is not volunteer.I received academic credit for the TA activities. You think that's too close to a paid activity?
+1 but seriously contact the admissions office yourself directly, rather than rely on fellow applicants 🙂FWIW In my mind if you got any sort of credit for it or payment it is not volunteer.
.
Last edited:
Wow... was it just me or did they add an essay! Lol, I knew I should have finished it this weekend.
3. Please describe your most significant achievement outside the classroom (750 characters).
Eh at least it's not too bad.
Yeah, I submitted Aug 1 and I had the question.
Does anyone know where to find out if Rush does closed interviews?
I've heard (from a friend who interviewed last cycle) that rush does two interviews. One is a really short, 15-20 minute session where they ask you more generic questions (why medicine, why Rush, etc). The other is a longer, 30-45 minute conversational session with more specific questions about your file. The second one is definitely open, and while the first is more generic, I hesitate to call it completely "closed".
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, keeping track of the complete --> II dates. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how the II cycle "rolls." Do they wait to send out more II's until after the first II batch has been interviewed/decided?
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, keeping track of the complete --> II dates. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how the II cycle "rolls." Do they wait to send out more II's until after the first II batch has been interviewed/decided?
+1 I'd like to know as well
II! Complete 7/18, LM = 71, scheduled for 10/21. Last two wednesdays in Oct still open for interviews, and most wednesdays in November.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II!!!!!! 10 minutes ago!! My first one this cycle!
Congrats! Mind sharing complete date?
Oh sorry! My complete date was 8/31. And before anyone asks my stats are 3.8 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 28 mcat, decent amount of clinical/shadowing, a tiny bit of research in grad school
Oh sorry! My complete date was 8/31. And before anyone asks my stats are 3.8 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 28 mcat, decent amount of clinical/shadowing, a tiny bit of research in grad school
Congrats and good luck! Complete Aug. 31st though... Been sitting complete since July and not a peep...
Congrats and good luck! Complete Aug. 31st though... Been sitting complete since July and not a peep...
Yeah I'm not sure how that works. I wasn't even going to send in the app since I left it for last (I received it July 17th) but I got 2 calls from Rush late August asking if I had gotten it and if I had any questions. So I ended up filling it out.
I'm sure you'll here back soon this process is so random sometimes!
Interview Invite today! Been lurking along and appreciate all the II updates, helps me keep track lol so thought I'd share
OOS, Complete on 08/24. Still a few interview days in November available
OOS, Complete on 08/24. Still a few interview days in November available
Anyone (current students?) have more info, I am having trouble with "why Rush"? Their website is so.....unhelpful. I am going with service/working with urban underserved and opportunity to train at Stroger Cook County. But really all I think of when I see the name Rush is this-- crossover branding for gay recruiting?(I do not condone the misuse of "liquid incense")
..
Last edited:
I hope not for my sake! I have heard in general submitting secondaries in September is not too late....of course its a game of diminishing chances as time goes onIs it to late to submit a secondary here?
My stats are 3.9, 518, OOS if that matters :/
They received it is allPotentially stupid question here, does "status: application file complete" mean they have received all my stuff, or they reviewed all my stuff and made a decision?
Hey do you mind sharing your ECs. Thanks!OOS II, MCAT: 32, GPA: 3.760, complete: 7/27, scheduled interview for 10/7. This was my first time posting on SDN, so I hope I did it right 🙂 good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?Interview Invite today! Been lurking along and appreciate all the II updates, helps me keep track lol so thought I'd share
OOS, Complete on 08/24. Still a few interview days in November available
Please send me a II Rush!
+1 me tooPlease send me a II Rush!
According to my lengthy convo with Alyssa in their admissions office (via email), YES, the 150 hours of "healthcare exposre" + 150 hours of "community service" are both mandatory. Anything under 150 hours in each category means your app will not be considered. However, you have the opportunity to designate your hours as you wish in your secondary (question 2 or 3, the one where they ask you to talk about 3 activities) and the rest of your hours will be designated as the adcom sees fit.
As far as your TA'ing goes, whether or not it qualifies as community service depends on whether or not you were paid. Paid = no no for community service (again, from Alyssa).
Where are the community service and healthcare exposure hour requirements listed?
Where are the community service and healthcare exposure hour requirements listed?
That's the annoying thing, I don't believe they're listed anywhere on their site. At least I couldn't find it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned he or his friend received a handout from an admissions officer at a presentation by Rush that detailed these requirements. I just wanted to confirm that information with Rush's office and got the same response from Alyssa.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K