2015-2016 Rush Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's the annoying thing, I don't believe they're listed anywhere on their site. At least I couldn't find it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned he or his friend received a handout from an admissions officer at a presentation by Rush that detailed these requirements. I just wanted to confirm that information with Rush's office and got the same response from Alyssa.

Well that's not right.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it's not stated online, then it should be BS that they hold us to that requirement. I'm sitting at 175ish non clinical and 140 clinical and didn't even know about the hour requirement until after I submitted my secondary. Rush is back home for me and I would have loved to gone there also 🙁
 
If it's not stated online, then it should be BS that they hold us to that requirement. I'm sitting at 175ish non clinical and 140 clinical and didn't even know about the hour requirement until after I submitted my secondary. Rush is back home for me and I would have loved to gone there also 🙁

Can any of your non clinical be in any remote way be considered clinical? If so, you can try emailing them. Alyssa is really helpful and might be able to help you work something out. Won't hurt to try at least.
 
What exactly falls under community service? I understand that it should be un-paid/not for academic credit, but where do things like leadership hours fall under?
 
What exactly falls under community service? I understand that it should be un-paid/not for academic credit, but where do things like leadership hours fall under?

I'm just conjecturing here, but I don't think they really care... They just want to make sure that you have the community service and clinical hours. The rest are just "extra" hours. Again, I am just guessing/reading between the lines of what I've heard from them.

Email them with your questions to be safe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got one on Sept 11th. I called them and they said the email was sent out in error. Still haven't heard anything in terms of a decision from them despite being complete since july 22nd 🙁
 
Can anyone who has interviewed provide insight on the day?

Like any other medical school interview, the day starts with breakfast with other applicants and introductions. Various members from administration come to talk about the curriculum, financial aid, etc. You are then split off into interview groups. While majority of applicants interview in the morning, a couple students have afternoon interviews. The interviews are either with adcoms, faculty members or staff at the affiliated hospitals. I recommend reading through your application again and making sure you know it extremely, extremely well, especially for the 40 minute interview. It was clear during my interview that my interviewer scrutinized everything, from extracurricular activities to personal details like my hometown. After your interviews, you get to tour the two hospitals (Cook County and the new one) with the MS. You come back to have lunch and the day ends with a Q&A panel with medical students and staffs.

Out of the 5 schools I interviewed at, Rush was my best interview experience by far. The admissions, staff, and the students were all very welcoming. They really take the time to read your application and get to know you as a person.
 
http://serve.gwu.edu/what-counts-service

I used this definition of community service that says that work-study funded service is still community service. I have a few hundred hours of service with an organization that pairs work-study students with low-income, inner-city high schoolers to teach and act role-models. The organization pays work-study students and allows non-work-study people to volunteer unpaid.

Edit: This is in response to the people who said community service can't be paid
 
Hi everyone,

I know this is very late, but I was thinking about adding Rush to my list of already completed schools. I have over 800+ hours of volunteering/community service/ clinical experience, hence why I feel silly for not adding it sooner. What do y'all think? If I can do the secondary immediately when I receive it, would it be worth it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I know this is very late, but I was thinking about adding Rush to my list of already completed schools. I have over 800+ hours of volunteering/community service/ clinical experience, hence why I feel silly for not adding it sooner. What do y'all think? If I can do the secondary immediately when I receive it, would it be worth it?

If you have really great metrics, then sure. I'd be hesitant to add it otherwise considering how late it is in the cycle.
 
Hi everyone,

I know this is very late, but I was thinking about adding Rush to my list of already completed schools. I have over 800+ hours of volunteering/community service/ clinical experience, hence why I feel silly for not adding it sooner. What do y'all think? If I can do the secondary immediately when I receive it, would it be worth it?

I say go for it. It's not optimal to do it now, but if you're only planning to apply once, it feels silly to not even try. That's just my logic, I recently found a school that is a perfect fit and just added it last week, not getting my hopes too high but I need to at least give it a whirl! Good luck on making your decision.

EDIT: this is assuming finances and other logistical things aren't going to be a problem. And just wondering, have you had other IIs and/or acceptances so far?
 
I say go for it. It's not optimal to do it now, but if you're only planning to apply once, it feels silly to not even try. That's just my logic, I recently found a school that is a perfect fit and just added it last week, not getting my hopes too high but I need to at least give it a whirl! Good luck on making your decision.

EDIT: this is assuming finances and other logistical things aren't going to be a problem. And just wondering, have you had other IIs and/or acceptances so far?

Finances are always an issue, but I've been working like crazy to make it not as much of an issue. Like you said, spending the $$$ is worth it (in my opinion) to avoid applying again so I'm right there with ya! No, I have not had any IIs or acceptances thus far. I was only complete at most schools early-mid September though, so I'm hoping that's why. No rejections though. I keep telling myself no news isn't necessarily bad news!

Do you (or anyone else) know where in the applicant pool Rush is in terms of reviewing applications? I tried to do research to see whether they reviewed in order of completion or non-linearly, but I couldn't find much.
 
Finances are always an issue, but I've been working like crazy to make it not as much of an issue. Like you said, spending the $$$ is worth it (in my opinion) to avoid applying again so I'm right there with ya! No, I have not had any IIs or acceptances thus far. I was only complete at most schools early-mid September though, so I'm hoping that's why. No rejections though. I keep telling myself no news isn't necessarily bad news!

Do you (or anyone else) know where in the applicant pool Rush is in terms of reviewing applications? I tried to do research to see whether they reviewed in order of completion or non-linearly, but I couldn't find much.

Oh I have no clue, but definitely would like to know as well if anyone else does
 
Finances are always an issue, but I've been working like crazy to make it not as much of an issue. Like you said, spending the $$$ is worth it (in my opinion) to avoid applying again so I'm right there with ya! No, I have not had any IIs or acceptances thus far. I was only complete at most schools early-mid September though, so I'm hoping that's why. No rejections though. I keep telling myself no news isn't necessarily bad news!

Do you (or anyone else) know where in the applicant pool Rush is in terms of reviewing applications? I tried to do research to see whether they reviewed in order of completion or non-linearly, but I couldn't find much.

Oh I have no clue, but definitely would like to know as well if anyone else does

They are fairly linear, though no school is completely linear.

Per interview day a few weeks ago they had already received more applications than last year (>10,000) and said they were still getting more than 50 additional apps a day. They shared they would be interviewing exactly 450 and admitting around 260.
 
Really hoping for an II here... Complete mid August. Sort of looks like I've been passed over :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a feeling this is a silent rejection for me. (low VR score) borderline stats otherwise. I submitted 08/30, nothing thus far. not my number one choice, but sad nonetheless.

Chill man. You've been complete for 6 weeks. Some of us have been complete since July and haven't heard a peep. There's still time 🙂
 
You legit copy and pasted this into multiple threads. Patience man. The process takes time.
OMG I AM DYING!!!!!!! LMAO!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I was wondering if anyone actually notices. LOLOLOL thank you for making my day.

I am just stressed, though. I am sure you can relate.
 
Any reason you suspect friday?

On interview day we were told they meet on Wednesdays (which happens to be interview day) to go over the previous Wednesday's interviewed people. They then send decisions on the following Friday (e.g. the one 9 days after the Wednesday that they met or ~16 days after the interview).

From the two previous application threads, the decisions were released on the Friday after October 15th

Did not know this, but further confirms my hunch. The reason it was just a hunch, however, is because I interviewed recently enough that my date is NEXT Friday and I didn't know if perhaps the people who were from September and stuff they might just go ahead and release tomorrow.
 
Just got an e-mail from Rush. I thought it was a decision letter and my heart skips a beat. It was just an e-mail stating that Rush would be visiting my undergraduate institution soon...

Rush, c'mon pls. I'm already interested
 
Last edited: