2015-2016 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info and glad it went well for you! did they ask any specifics like the classic " why u wanna be an MD"? lol
My interviewer gave me the full treatment of "why medicine", "why NJMS", "so tell me about yourself" lol. But the other people who interviewed the same day as me said they didn't get any of those questions. So I guess it really depends on who you get.
 
My interviewer gave me the full treatment of "why medicine", "why NJMS", "so tell me about yourself" lol. But the other people who interviewed the same day as me said they didn't get any of those questions. So I guess it really depends on who you get.
Haha aren't those almost exactly the questions I told you about? Hope it went well!
 
Hey guys! Another guy looking to apply here and really love the school! I just had a question though. Is applying to the MD/MPH program more competitive than applying to MD alone? My stats are borderline acceptance anyway and while I really do want to do the MPH program, I don't want to check off that box if I'll be held to a more rigorous standard and scrutinized even more. Anyone have any experience with this or in a similar conundrum?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Another guy looking to apply here and really love the school! I just had a question though. Is applying to the MD/MPH program more competitive than applying to MD alone? My stats are borderline acceptance anyway and while I really do want to do the MPH program, I don't want to check off that box if I'll be held to a more rigorous standard and scrutinized even more. Anyone have any experience with this or in a similar conundrum?

You interview for the MD program, then they consider you for the other programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably the 35 on the MCAT..

More than that. I added 1,600 hours of patient interaction as a clinical research, working closely with the P.I. and her patients. I also completely revamped how I wrote my application using all the characters to describe myself and my experience. NJMS is a great school that focuses both on patient interactions and research - I wrote my application towards those aspects. I also consulted with the Dean over the year about my application. So overall, I believe there was a lot of factors that definitely contributed to my application.
 
More than that. I added 1,600 hours of patient interaction as a clinical research, working closely with the P.I. and her patients. I also completely revamped how I wrote my application using all the characters to describe myself and my experience. NJMS is a great school that focuses both on patient interactions and research - I wrote my application towards those aspects. I also consulted with the Dean over the year about my application. So overall, I believe there was a lot of factors that definitely contributed to my application.
Did you have any clinical experience before that? I definitely think the MCAT score increase was a major factor IMO.
 
More than that. I added 1,600 hours of patient interaction as a clinical research, working closely with the P.I. and her patients. I also completely revamped how I wrote my application using all the characters to describe myself and my experience. NJMS is a great school that focuses both on patient interactions and research - I wrote my application towards those aspects. I also consulted with the Dean over the year about my application. So overall, I believe there was a lot of factors that definitely contributed to my application.
Congratulations!
 
Ah okay that calms me down a little bit lol. I interviewed the second possible date.. Hopefully I find out soon, I hate the wait!
I believe the first admission committee meeting took place on the 9th so you have some time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm RD and haven't received the secondary yet... Hopefully we'll get it soon because I've already signed up for the CASPer exam this Wednesday.

Does anyone know if CASPer scores can be added even if you haven't received the secondary application yet? I signed up in anticipation for the secondary since NYMC requires it as well so I figured I'd hit two birds with one stone...
I think you should be in the rwj thread
 
Did you do anything differently this time around? What do you think made the difference?

After being rejected last cycle I met with Dr. Heinrich (in addition to many other professors, physicians, and advisors) to get some feedback on my application. They told me to focus on displaying more passion in the writings in my application and my personal statement. I spent significantly more time on these portions of my application this time around and I believe it had a significant impact. In addition, over the past year I gained more clinical experience, got involved as an actor in a "simulated patient" program, and maintained a positive trend in my GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you apply with a 28 MCAT?
Nope. Got the 28 last August, retook in January and applied this cycle.

What do your EC's look like?
~400 hours research experience in Neuroscience lab
~200 hours of quantum physics research during my sophomore year
~100 hours of shadowing a urological surgeon
~300 hours of employment at a doctor's office
Fraternity Vice President for 2 semesters
Fraternity President for 2 semesters
Teaching Assistant for Organic Chemistry for 2 semesters
ER Scribe at a hospital for the past few months
 
So... I still haven't gotten any notice. I submitted that online secondary (which I was not sent an email about.)

All you guys getting notifications, you're all ED?
 
So... I still haven't gotten any notice. I submitted that online secondary (which I was not sent an email about.)

All you guys getting notifications, you're all ED?
You submitted a secondary without getting an email? How did you even do that haha....and yes everyone do not worry we're all ED applicants you guys will start hearing from them mid July- Early Aug