2015-2016 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt it's numerical cutoffs, I'm basically 10th percentile for mcat and gpa.
Same here, at least for the MCAT. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Without a behind the scenes knowledge of how they screen applications, it's all just pure speculation. Nor is it worth the time and energy to worry about it. The process is what it is. I know, "easy for me to say," but even though I am a few years out from being an applicant, I do remember the sleepless nights tossing-and-turning over every detail of the process. Looking back, not worth giving myself near panic attacks over.

On another note, I do know that many of my classmates and many staff members help out by reading applications at various stages of the process. Should go without saying, but word of advice, if you have an interview here treat everyone you meet as someone who could be potentially reading and ranking your application because they literally could be.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we can submit the secondaries before receiving all of our LOR's? I'm still waiting on 1 letter which should be done by next week, but would like to submit as early as possible. Thanks in advance!

I would wait. Even if you submit it now, it won't be reviewed until everything is received. However, if you submit it now and then find you can't add the letter for whatever reason, then that could be a problem!

There's no rush. It took over a month for me to receive a secondary (after they had already started sending them) and I submitted my secondary in September. It's still really really early in the season.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never felt so constrained by these character limits +pissed+

I've never felt so constrained by these character limits +pissed+

This has been a wonderful exercise in cutting a dramatic number of characters from my most meaningful experience essays.

This has been a wonderful exercise in cutting a dramatic number of characters from my most meaningful experience essays.
I feel like I'm firing rapid staccato with my qualifications:whistle:

Last edited:
They already have your primary, be sure to provide new information or a new perspective.

No secondary here, but I received UCR/UCI/UCSF.

They already have your primary, be sure to provide new information or a new perspective.

UC Davis' instructions: "We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate"

@Cawolf I've received the exact same ones as you. Still waiting on UCD, UCSD, UCLA

UC Davis' instructions: "We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate"
I actually chose different experiences... I hope that was ok!

Its a opportunity to share why the specific experiences demonstrates your fit with UC Davis. I think the quote you posted is mostly to say it is okay to have redundancy in terms of experience choice and some of the text. However, if you only copy generic statements, you are missing an opportunity to hit a home run, as the secondary's purpose is to answer why UC Davis.

Reactions: 4 users
I called UCD yesterday and asked about the "adcom concern" question in the following way:
"Is it referring to major concerns like institutional actions or is it more of a free response of what I feel might be concerning?" and they said free response.
I didn't ask about leaving it blank, but it seems to me leaving it blank implies that you don't anticipate the adcom having any concerns about your application?

Hope this is helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad would it be to leave the adcom concerns question blank? If anyone who has been through the process would reply, I would greatly appreciate it!

It's not that I think my application is perfect by any means... but I also don't know if I want to unnecessarily draw attention to certain flaws?

One thing that concerns me is that I only have 80 or so hours of clinical volunteering and they were all done over a 2 week period. I have close to 180 additional community service hours, but they're not clinical. This is certainly a weakness as it might not seem convincing that I want to work with under-served populations even though I do. Thoughts?

I guess what I'm asking is: does my community service prove that working with under-served populations is incredibly important to me? (It is and that's a big part of the reason Davis appeals to me).

Its a opportunity to share why the specific experiences demonstrates your fit with UC Davis. I think the quote you posted is mostly to say it is okay to have redundancy in terms of experience choice and some of the text. However, if you only copy generic statements, you are missing an opportunity to hit a home run, as the secondary's purpose is to answer why UC Davis.

Definitely this.

I would wait. Even if you submit it now, it won't be reviewed until everything is received. However, if you submit it now and then find you can't add the letter for whatever reason, then that could be a problem!

There's no rush. It took over a month for me to receive a secondary (after they had already started sending them) and I submitted my secondary in September. It's still really really early in the season.

Thank you for your insight :)

Found my answer in the Secondary FAQ page. They give out about 3500 secondary applications each year. They get about 4500 in state applications so they really only leave out like 1000 applicants.

Submitted mine today! Good luck everyone.

Do you think it would be better to include a research experience that has evidence of what I have accomplished (letter of rec, award) vs. a community service experience with no evidence? Both were important, but the community service experience was more meaningful to me personally in terms of leading me to medicine.

Hi guys, I'm trying to submit the application, but it is not letting me submit it without putting something for the 1st essay even though I wanna leave it blank. Anyone having similar issues or have a solution?

Mine doesn't give me more essays to write even when I choose the track programs. I've hovered over the blue and beige parts of the application. My experience section has no problem though.
Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 10.59.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 10.59.17 PM.png

Mine doesn't give me more essays to write even when I choose the track programs. I've hovered over the blue and beige parts of the application. My experience section has no problem though.View attachment 194034View attachment 194035
You have to click the confirmation/save button (not the application send button) and it'll pop up on the yellow bar. If that doesn't work then try on a different browser. If that doesn't work then give UCD a call, they're friendly.

I actually chose different experiences... I hope that was ok!
Did this last year and got a II, it's fine. This year my selections might be a little crappier but I've already sent them...

Do you think it would be better to include a research experience that has evidence of what I have accomplished (letter of rec, award) vs. a community service experience with no evidence? Both were important, but the community service experience was more meaningful to me personally in terms of leading me to medicine.

Personally, I would write about the community service experience. 2 reasons: 1). You will probably be able to write more passionately about that experience while at the same time (hopefully) answering the question "why medicine;" and 2). Davis is an extremely community service orientated school vs. not as much research orientated.

really really considering just copypasting what i wrote in primary for the experiences

Davis, please show some love. Pweeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Hello Everyone,

I am an incoming first year at UC Davis who went through the process that you all are going through now! Feel free to soot me any question about the process or about UC Davis you may have! SDN really helped and I hope to return the favor.

Shoot me a pm, and don't be shy! Davis is an amazing school with great faculty and a collaborative environment that makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What are current students thoughts on this

The reason you have that extra space is to really go into detail! I chose to write about the same activities from my primary but I definitely added a spin that was more directed towards UC Davis's mission and that was a genuine experience for me.

So, I would suggest you really develop your response about what you gained out of the activities you chose, and think what made them unique for you.

The reason you have that extra space is to really go into detail! I chose to write about the same activities from my primary but I definitely added a spin that was more directed towards UC Davis's mission and that was a genuine experience for me.

So, I would suggest you really develop your response about what you gained out of the activities you chose, and think what made them unique for you.

Definitely this.

I got UCR, UCI and UCSD. My stats are more in line with UCD and UCI, so I'm a bit nervous I haven't gotten one yet

The process is odd. I received UCR, UCI, and UCSF - but not UCSD, UCD, or UCLA.

I think (or hope!) that it's not time to worry yet. I've received UCLA, UCI, and UCSD, but not yet UCSF and UCD.

Sorry if this has been asked before. If you selected more than one tracks, can you give similar/same answers to the questions "Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program." ?

Sorry if this has been asked before. If you selected more than one tracks, can you give similar/same answers to the questions "Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program." ?

Well, some of the tracks are very specific in their mission and it could be rather odd if your experiences don't match up with one but with another track. Like applying for SJV Prime but all your experiences may match more with the MS Teach program and vice versa. Ultimately, its up to you, but remember that these tracks all have specific missions and are looking for students that fit in those missions based on their experiences.

Hi! i am having trouble finding the submit button, where do i click to submit?!!!

nvm found it, i had to put spaces in the concerning factor questions

For those who have already submitted: has UCD received your LoR yet? It still says that mine aren't received yet, even though last year they went through immediately. It might be because I'm a reapplicant but I was just curious.

For those who have already submitted: has UCD received your LoR yet? It still says that mine aren't received yet, even though last year they went through immediately. It might be because I'm a reapplicant but I was just curious.
Not a re-applicant and my letters are also not received. Just be patient, they'll get to them. :)

For the section where you have to write about three experiences that have been influential in pursuing a career in medicine...do you think it is appropriate to put "majoring in biochemistry" as an experience?

For the section where you have to write about three experiences that have been influential in pursuing a career in medicine...do you think it is appropriate to put "majoring in biochemistry" as an experience?
It all depends on how you write it. Can you answer these three questions with it:
1. How does your degree inspire you to do medicine?
2. How are you going to apply your degree to medicine?
3. How does your degree help you fit with UCD's mission?​

It all depends on how you write it. Can you answer these three questions with it:
1. How does your degree inspire you to do medicine?
2. How are you going to apply your degree to medicine?
3. How does your degree help you fit with UCD's mission?​

Thanks mate. I think I can definitely answer the first two. I'll have to do research on UCD's mission and see how I can answer it...

Thanks mate. I think I can definitely answer the first two. I'll have to do research on UCD's mission and see how I can answer it...
You are welcome. Best of wishes writing!

Note: Secondaries are used to show why you fit well with the school. So do not under estimate that 3rd point!

I added TEACH-MS a few days ago...but now it's not letting me add ACE-PC so I can see the essays. Anyone else have this problem?

is the "submit" below the tracks the submitting the app or submitting that i want these tracks

Davis, please send me the secondary... LOL Verified 7/08. I guess it's because I am later than everyone else here? Did anyone verified on this date or later already get their secondary? I guess I shouldn't worry, but seeing as how many of my peers have already gotten theirs, I can't help it!