2015-2016 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee. (500ch)

2. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences. (500ch)

At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate.

For each activity:
Briefly describe this activity and its significance.
How did it prepare you for a medical career?
Include any supporting information
(e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as
well as links to any publication, etc) (750ch)

Please note that the The Teach-MS prompt character limit has been reduced to 600 characters (see prompt #8 in the next post).

Good luck!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Ms. Nutella:

Secondary Application (there is a pre-screen)

This is from the previous cycle (it might be different this year):
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee. (1500 characters)

2. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences. (1500 characters)

3. The Accelerated Competency-Education in Primary Care (ACE-PC) program is a 6-year track that seamlessly links medical school and residency in primary care. A collaboration between UCDSOM and Kaiser Permanente, the program allows a select group of eligible students to complete medical school in 3 years and receive a conditional acceptance to a UC Davis or Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency program in primary care. Students who are accepted to the UCDSOM 4-year program and who plan a career in primary care, Internal Medicine or Family Medicine will be considered for the program. For more information, please seehttp://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/ACE-PC/about.html. If you would like to be considered for Davis ACE-PC, please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. If you are not interested, please insert "Not Applicable". (1500 characters)

4. The Rural-Program In Medical Education is designed for students interested in becoming physician leaders in rural California communities. Curricular enhancements include weekll seminars, hands-on skill sessions covering laceration repair, obstetric delivery, CPR, etc., mentorship with rural physicians, 3rd year rural clinical rotations and leadership opportunities related to rural health. Link to Rural-PRIME Website: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/index.html If interested, please tell us why you would like to be considered for the program. Otherwise, please insert "not applicable". (1500 characters)

5. Please describe your experiences working with underserved communities. If not interested in Rural-PRIME, please insert “not applicable”. (1500 characters)

6. What are your future plans to practice in a rural underserved community? If not interested in Rural-PRIME, please insert “not applicable”. (1500 characters)

7. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/MD_Ph.D/index.html) is designed for students interested in becoming clinician investigators and leads to a dual degree (MD-PhD). The program includes 4 years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. Did you select "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D." under Program Type on your AMCAS application? If you did, please indicate why you are interested in the UC Davis School of Medicine Physician Scientist Training Program here. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable". (1500 characters)

8. A collaboration between UCDSOM and the UC Davis TEACH Residency Program, the Transforming Education and Community Health Program for Medical Students (TEACH-MS) is a four year tailored track for students committed to primary care and care for the urban underserved (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/TEACH-MS/). If you would like to apply to TEACH-MS, please respond to the following 2 questions. Otherwise, please insert “not applicable”. A. Please tell us about your motivation to pursue a career in primary care (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Pediatrics). B. Please describe an experience that best demonstrates your commitment to urban underserved communities. (600 characters for the 2015-16 cycle)

9. A collaboration between UCDSOM, UC Merced and UCSF Fresno, the San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership track for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please tell us what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why? (1500 characters)

EXPERIENCES (Give three, 750 char each)
Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)

Curriculum
Pass/fail two year preclinical.

Interview
UCD utilizes the MMI.

Update Letter Policy
UCD does not accept pre or post-interview updates.

Notes
MMI and personality study conducted at UC-Davis, including results about what factors affected admission post-interview (for those with full-text access): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22836836

slide6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How are the experiences in the secondary different from the AMCAS ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what they screen for prior to the secondaries?

How are the experiences in the secondary different from the AMCAS ones?
They aren't, I used the same 3 experiences from my AMCAS in the secondary application for UC Davis. I did add more things in the secondary that I wasn't able to put in the AMCAS given the character count. I don't know how many characters are allowed in AMCAS this year but my year was a little bit less that what I was anticipating. If you have multiple experiences you would like to share, you can do that, but you shouldn't worry about repeating especially if they're your most important experiences.

Yes, UC Davis will screen your primary before giving you a secondary. All the UCs screen for secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
For the question "what have you been doing since submitting the AMCAS", my activity is my employment at a biotech company. However, I have already written about it as one of my most meaningful on the AMCAS. How should i go about repeating this on that question, and also the 3 experiences question?

For the question "what have you been doing since submitting the AMCAS", my activity is my employment at a biotech company. However, I have already written about it as one of my most meaningful on the AMCAS. How should i go about repeating this on that question, and also the 3 experiences question?

You just have to describe what you've been doing since submitting AMCAS and not necessarily what you've got out of it (that's what the experiences section and/or the personal statement is for). I had also put my job in that section, on my personal statement, my most meaningful activity, and one of the 3 activities in the secondary, and did just fine. You'll be repeating a lot of the things you've done in a bunch of secondaries and whatnot so its best not to dwell on it and just place it down.

You just have to describe what you've been doing since submitting AMCAS and not necessarily what you've got out of it (that's what the experiences section and/or the personal statement is for). I had also put my job in that section, on my personal statement, my most meaningful activity, and one of the 3 activities in the secondary, and did just fine. You'll be repeating a lot of the things you've done in a bunch of secondaries and whatnot so its best not to dwell on it and just place it down.

Thanks for your input. I noticed that the char limit for that question is 1500, if i am just describing what i do and not include what i got out of it, i think it would be at best 800, 700 character.
I know that we don't have to use up every space available, but if the school gives us 1500 char, i feel like they are implying that we need to write something meaningful. I guess that is just my worry.

Without any "behind the scenes" knowledge of the process, it's hard to say exactly what they screen for.

However, as with any school, there are two main categories that I personally feel would be important; 1). Academically, can you handle the rigors of medical school, and 2). Do you "fit" the mission of the school. Here is a link to UC Davis SOM mission statement. http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/mission/index.html

Key words from the mission statement based on my experience here thus far: Diverse student body, and passion to improve lives. What do you bring that furthers this mission statement?

I have worked with a lot of Davis med students, they are pretty unanimous in their praise, and most of them report the workload to be challenging but overall a pretty laid back environment.

In regard to the TEACH-MS track (primary care in underserved urban areas), would I be at a disadvantage if I created a narrative of wanting to work as a primary care physician in underserved, urban populations and then elect NOT to apply to the TEACH-MS track? While primary care in urban, underserved areas is one of my interests, and one that I worked into my narrative, I cannot be sure that it is what I want to do 100% right now. If I were to not apply to TEACH-MS, would that make my application seem disingenuous? The reason I would not apply to TEACH-MS is that I'm not 100% committed to primary care, and I would like to leave some room to explore in case I find it is not for me while in medical school. The problem is that I wrote in my personal statement that I want to serve as a primary care physician in underserved areas. Would this conflict hurt my application? Should I go ahead and apply to TEACH-MS, since it's highly unlikely I'll get into Davis anyways, so that it makes my application narrative consistent?

In regard to the TEACH-MS track (primary care in underserved urban areas), would I be at a disadvantage if I created a narrative of wanting to work as a primary care physician in underserved, urban populations and then elect NOT to apply to the TEACH-MS track? While primary care in urban, underserved areas is one of my interests, and one that I worked into my narrative, I cannot be sure that it is what I want to do 100% right now. If I were to not apply to TEACH-MS, would that make my application seem disingenuous? The reason I would not apply to TEACH-MS is that I'm not 100% committed to primary care, and I would like to leave some room to explore in case I find it is not for me while in medical school. The problem is that I wrote in my personal statement that I want to serve as a primary care physician in underserved areas. Would this conflict hurt my application? Should I go ahead and apply to TEACH-MS, since it's highly unlikely I'll get into Davis anyways, so that it makes my application narrative consistent?

I think your desire to explore other specialties in med school is very understandable. My understanding is that your application to track programs do not affect your consideration for the MD program.
I applied for the Rural PRIME program and wasn't even invited to interview for it until a couple months after my acceptance in to the MD program. I am an incoming accepted student so perhaps a currently matriculating student could provide more insight. But to me it seems the programs are rather independent of one another.

Just to give hope to all the applicants this year. I had 3.7/3.64 GPA 31 MCAT retake (12/7/12), YES a 7 in verbal (8 the first time), Asian, IS, standard ECs, decent LORs. Nabbed an interview at UC Davis first round (interviewed at second earliest date 8/22) Submitted my secondary on July 8th which I dedicated a week to. I also answered the optional questions about TEACH-MS and ACE-PC in the secondary. Please don't be discouraged because you never really know what they are looking for as well as who is reading your application!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your desire to explore other specialties in med school is very understandable. My understanding is that your application to track programs do not affect your consideration for the MD program.
I applied for the Rural PRIME program and wasn't even invited to interview for it until a couple months after my acceptance in to the MD program. I am an incoming accepted student so perhaps a currently matriculating student could provide more insight. But to me it seems the programs are rather independent of one another.

Thanks for the info! I just don't want there to be a discrepancy between my narrative in my primary and my secondary. For example, if you had written extensively about your desire to practice primary care in a rural area, but then chose not to apply to Rural PRIME, do you think that would have affected your application? Do they take into consideration which programs you have applied to while considering you for admissions into the regular MD program? Could it help my application to the regular MD program if I applied to the TEACH-MS program if it was in line with my narrative? Or would it have no effect?

Thanks for the info! I just don't want there to be a discrepancy between my narrative in my primary and my secondary. For example, if you had written extensively about your desire to practice primary care in a rural area, but then chose not to apply to Rural PRIME, do you think that would have affected your application? Do they take into consideration which programs you have applied to while considering you for admissions into the regular MD program? Could it help my application to the regular MD program if I applied to the TEACH-MS program if it was in line with my narrative? Or would it have no effect?

I am honestly not sure if they take in to account whether you applied to a track program or not when deciding whether to grant you an interview or accept you in to the MD program. I don't believe so, however I'm not sure. Again, I hope a current student can weigh in on that.

You also can decide to submit your application to the program since you do have a genuine interest in the content of it. If you are accepted to the MD program and receive an interview for TEACH MS you will have the opportunity to learn more about the program and meet current students in the tailored track. At that point you will have much more information and can make a more informed decision. If you are accepted in to the tailored track you will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer. I'm not condoning applying to a program you have no interest in, but rather suggesting that if you think you may be interested and aren't totally sure then it's worth applying or looking in to.

Also, if you decide not to apply you can still express an interest in participating in TEACH MS events or rotating in their sites. During my interview process for Rural PRIME I learned that even if I did not formally enter the program I could still participate in a more informal manner and even do third year rotations in their sites (if there is room).

@Snoop Doc I am not personally in a track program so am unable to directly comment on this. @SilentSoldier, are you more knowledgeable about this?
Also, one of my friends is in the TEACH-MS program. I will ask them about this and get back to you.

@CaliforniaDreamer I completely agree. Like any med school, the curriculum is challenging but we have a high pass rate. UC Davis is very supportive of its students. In-fact, we have a whole department where students can seek academic help; it's called OSLER, and I can personally comment that they do a great job. Davis is a P/F for the pre-clinical years without an internal ranking system (that I know about). I can only speak for my class, but I don't get the feeling that there is any malignant competitiveness amongst us.

@Snoop Doc I am not personally in a track program so am unable to directly comment on this. @SilentSoldier, are you more knowledgeable about this?
Also, one of my friends is in the TEACH-MS program. I will ask them about this and get back to you.

@CaliforniaDreamer I completely agree. Like any med school, the curriculum is challenging but we have a high pass rate. UC Davis is very supportive of its students. In-fact, we have a whole department where students can seek academic help; it's called OSLER, and I can personally comment that they do a great job. Davis is a P/F for the pre-clinical years without an internal ranking system (that I know about). I can only speak for my class, but I don't get the feeling that there is any malignant competitiveness amongst us.
Very cool, did you work in any of the student run clinics?

@CaliforniaDreamer I worked mostly in Willow last year, and plan to do so again this coming year! Great experience. That is one of the major pluses for Davis...very early exposure to patients.

Just to give hope to all the applicants this year. I had 3.7/3.64 GPA 31 MCAT retake (12/7/12), YES a 7 in verbal (8 the first time), Asian, IS, standard ECs, decent LORs. Nabbed an interview at UC Davis first round (interviewed at second earliest date 8/22) Submitted my secondary on July 8th which I dedicated a week to. I also answered the optional questions about TEACH-MS and ACE-PC in the secondary. Please don't be discouraged because you never really know what they are looking for as well as who is reading your application!

Great inspirational story! Do you mind sharing if you had any out-of-the-ordinary accomplishments? Did you have a high-impact publication, professional athlete/musician/etc., or anything of this sort?

Great inspirational story! Do you mind sharing if you had any out-of-the-ordinary accomplishments? Did you have a high-impact publication, professional athlete/musician/etc., or anything of this sort?
I was a normal Asian male applicant with no outstanding, high-impact publications of the sort, no real talents. I just worked a lot in college and did what most applicants do (hospital volunteer, shadowing, research, Vietnam mission trip). I think my secondary must have stood out. I spent a week on them! Hope that helps.

I was a normal Asian male applicant with no outstanding, high-impact publications of the sort, no real talents. I just worked a lot in college and did what most applicants do (hospital volunteer, shadowing, research, Vietnam mission trip). I think my secondary must have stood out. I spent a week on them! Hope that helps.

I'm sure you had some sort of awesome talent or accomplishment! Either way, congrats! Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you. :)

@winterwind_23 and @Snoop Doc
This is what my friend who is in TEACH-MS wrote back:

"I don't think it has a bearing on whether you get an interview invite or acceptance. You have to get accepted to the school before they offer you an interview to the track programs. However, a big component is whether the work you've done overlaps with the program you are applying for. If you have a track record that demonstrates that, then I think that stands out and they'll highly consider you for a track interview."

This is absolutely my DREAM school!!!!!!!:love:

Also for those of you considering any of the track programs at UC Davis, you'll have to show that your experiences make you a good fit for the programs. As in, don't apply to the track programs because you think it'll give you a leg-up on getting admitted regular MD. Also, if you dont get into the track programs but you still want to work in those communities (urban underserved, rural, SJV) you can still do so in other ways while not officially being a part of the program.

Last edited:
The Medical Students I have met at UC Davis for that last few years are always happy and incredibly friendly. It is also extremely LGBT friendly, I think at least half of this first year students had rainbow flags on their badge this past year! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know what kind of letters of recommendation they ask for? I can't seem to locate the specifics on their website. Thanks!

Does anyone know what kind of letters of recommendation they ask for? I can't seem to locate the specifics on their website. Thanks!

I just went with the "3-6 LORs allowed" from the admissions page.

Rule #1. Which ever ones you think are possibly your strongest letters. There are no requirements stating that x number have to be from science faculty, work, volunteer, etc. It's very flexible.

However, I would personally suggest a balanced mix from your major experiences and academic letters, as long as it doesn't violate rule #1

Also for those of you considering any of the track programs at UC Davis, you'll have to show that your experiences make you a good fit for the programs. As in, don't apply to the track programs because you think it'll give you a leg-up on getting admitted regular MD. Also, if you do get into the track programs but you still want to work in those communities (urban underserved, rural, SJV) you can still do so in other ways while not officially being a part of the program.
Just curious, are we given 1500 characters total to answer both TEACH-MS questions? Or is it 1500 char each? Thank you

For the three experiences that led you to a career in medicine, do you think it would be acceptable to list two experiences from the same organization? I had two completely different roles and they both were very meaningful. I have another clinical experience but it was short-term so would rather not include that one.

I think that would be fine.

None here.

I have got UCSF, UCR, and some status updates (but no secondary) from UCSD and UCLA. Nothing from UCD or UCI.

None here.

I have got UCSF, UCR, and some status updates (but no secondary) from UCSD and UCLA. Nothing from UCD or UCI.

Same for me.

Anyone have any idea on the screenings that Davis and Irvine do? Is it mostly stats based to make sure minimum requirements are met? I know LA and SD do heavier screens.

Still no secondaries sent huh?

Secondaries should be coming out hopefully by the end of the month. However, don't quote me on that!

Not sure the extent or method of the initial screening, but I do know that only about half of the applicants will receive a secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! Finally some UC love.

+1! Application received and secondary received emails within 1 min of each other, whee!

+1! So excited!

Me too!! Pleasantly surprised to get any secondary from a UC. IM OOS and my final MCAT is a 28. So Woohoo.

Just received a secondary from Davis 15 mins ago :) :) :)

FYI, I am applying for TEACH-MS and the questions have definitely changed - for the shorter.
The only question now is:
Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. (600 char)

So much for pre-writing this one!

Secondary received! Same questions but 500 character limit...