You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of California - Davis Application Thread
Started by Cyberdyne 101
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Courtesy of Ms. Nutella:
Secondary Application (there is a pre-screen)
This is from the previous cycle (it might be different this year):
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee. (1500 characters)
2. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences. (1500 characters)
3. The Accelerated Competency-Education in Primary Care (ACE-PC) program is a 6-year track that seamlessly links medical school and residency in primary care. A collaboration between UCDSOM and Kaiser Permanente, the program allows a select group of eligible students to complete medical school in 3 years and receive a conditional acceptance to a UC Davis or Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency program in primary care. Students who are accepted to the UCDSOM 4-year program and who plan a career in primary care, Internal Medicine or Family Medicine will be considered for the program. For more information, please seehttp://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/ACE-PC/about.html. If you would like to be considered for Davis ACE-PC, please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. If you are not interested, please insert "Not Applicable". (1500 characters)
4. The Rural-Program In Medical Education is designed for students interested in becoming physician leaders in rural California communities. Curricular enhancements include weekll seminars, hands-on skill sessions covering laceration repair, obstetric delivery, CPR, etc., mentorship with rural physicians, 3rd year rural clinical rotations and leadership opportunities related to rural health. Link to Rural-PRIME Website: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/index.html If interested, please tell us why you would like to be considered for the program. Otherwise, please insert "not applicable". (1500 characters)
5. Please describe your experiences working with underserved communities. If not interested in Rural-PRIME, please insert “not applicable”. (1500 characters)
6. What are your future plans to practice in a rural underserved community? If not interested in Rural-PRIME, please insert “not applicable”. (1500 characters)
7. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/MD_Ph.D/index.html) is designed for students interested in becoming clinician investigators and leads to a dual degree (MD-PhD). The program includes 4 years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. Did you select "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D." under Program Type on your AMCAS application? If you did, please indicate why you are interested in the UC Davis School of Medicine Physician Scientist Training Program here. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable". (1500 characters)
8. A collaboration between UCDSOM and the UC Davis TEACH Residency Program, the Transforming Education and Community Health Program for Medical Students (TEACH-MS) is a four year tailored track for students committed to primary care and care for the urban underserved (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/TEACH-MS/). If you would like to apply to TEACH-MS, please respond to the following 2 questions. Otherwise, please insert “not applicable”. A. Please tell us about your motivation to pursue a career in primary care (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Pediatrics). B. Please describe an experience that best demonstrates your commitment to urban underserved communities. (1500 characters)
9. A collaboration between UCDSOM, UC Merced and UCSF Fresno, the San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership track for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please tell us what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why? (1500 characters)
EXPERIENCES (Give three, 750 char each)
Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)
Curriculum
Pass/fail two year preclinical.
Interview
UCD utilizes the MMI.
Update Letter Policy
UCD does not accept pre or post-interview updates.
Notes
MMI and personality study conducted at UC-Davis, including results about what factors affected admission post-interview (for those with full-text access): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22836836
![]()
I have some free time this week, and in the off chance I receive a secondary, I would like to have the secondary done. I sifted through this entire thread but was unsure as to how precisely the secondary changed from last year. Anyone mind posting the new updated secondary instructions? Much appreciated.
Does anyone know if IIs also came in randomly last year like secondaries? My application was complete 7/23 and I haven't received an II - not sure if that means I'm likely out of the game 🙁.
I spoke to their admissions manager a few days ago. I wouldn't worry about not getting an II yet. She said it can take anything from 1-2 weeks, or longer. Pretty much someone on the faculty gets your app, and depending on how long they take to look at it will determine when you get your interview. Some like to do it right away and some take their time. Also, if they didn't happen to choose you for an interview, your app will keep being looked over by other faculty. So don't worry! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have some free time this week, and in the off chance I receive a secondary, I would like to have the secondary done. I sifted through this entire thread but was unsure as to how precisely the secondary changed from last year. Anyone mind posting the new updated secondary instructions? Much appreciated.
The first two questions are limited to 500 characters each. Experiences are the same. Not sure about the different pathways.
Thank you! For the experiences, it's just asking for any three? Are the only instructions in that section "Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)?"The first two questions are limited to 500 characters each. Experiences are the same. Not sure about the different pathways.
Thank you! For the experiences, it's just asking for any three? Are the only instructions in that section "Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)?"
Yep, exactly that. You can either choose the same 3 as you did on AMCAS or 3 different ones. I don't think it matters.
Thank you! For the experiences, it's just asking for any three? Are the only instructions in that section "Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)?"
These are the complete instructions.
At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate.
Yep, exactly that. You can either choose the same 3 as you did on AMCAS or 3 different ones. I don't think it matters.
These are the complete instructions.
At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. We realize that many applicants have identified key experiences in the main application. However, some do not and others identify less than 3. We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate.
Thanks!
I updated the first post in this thread.I have some free time this week, and in the off chance I receive a secondary, I would like to have the secondary done. I sifted through this entire thread but was unsure as to how precisely the secondary changed from last year. Anyone mind posting the new updated secondary instructions? Much appreciated.
If anyone sees an error and/or omission, please let me know!
Also, any secondary information regarding the other tracks (ie PRIME, ACE-PC) would be appreciated. 🙂
Last edited:
I'm finally getting to working on the Davis secondary. For one of my experiences, I am going to write about a clinical volunteer experience, but I don't have any "evidence of accomplishment" for the activity. I didn't get any awards or a letter of recommendation out of the experience, so is it bad if I check the None box under Evidence of Accomplishment for this activity? Or should I choose an activity that I actually have an "accomplishment" in, even though it's not as relevant to my desire to pursue medicine?
@winterwind_23 One of my meaningful activities had no evidence of accomplishment. Don't sweat it.
Same boat as you! I think there are quite a lot of us in this situation, so let's not sweat it for nowNo Davis secondary and I submitted first week of June. LizzyM = 77. Secondary from basically every school (including all UCs) except for Davis. Really now?

Same boat also!Same boat as you! I think there are quite a lot of us in this situation, so let's not sweat it for now![]()
-theboatman
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today at 10:01PM PST!!!
Complete 7/25
W00t, first one, gonna evolve now!
I choose you, Polywhirl!
do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks for the congrats! 😉do you mind sharing your stats?
LizzyM 71-72, heavier on the MCAT than on GPA.
Thanks for the congrats! 😉
LizzyM 71-72, heavier on the MCAT than on GPA.
Nice, happy for you! Hopefully i will be next. im from sacramento too!!!
For interview invites do you get an email? I was just complete recently so I've got a while if I get one, but just wondering.
Also do most schools other than Davis send an email?
Also do most schools other than Davis send an email?
Please don't let me be screened out *cries*
I was emailed. I'm assuming most schools email.For interview invites do you get an email? I was just complete recently so I've got a while if I get one, but just wondering.
Also do most schools other than Davis send an email?
Congrats to those getting II's! Meanwhile i'm still waiting for a secondary... App received 7/15, radio silence thus far.
Congrats to those getting II's! Meanwhile i'm still waiting for a secondary... App received 7/15, radio silence thus far.
Me too. Even I'm annoying myself with my neuroticism.
8/28 was the only date I saw...II!
LizzyM: 76
Submitted: 7/28
Complete Email: 7/29
@Cytokine2014 have you been able to schedule an interview date? Nothing shows up for any of the months online.
8/28 was the only date I saw...
Looks like there's none available for now. Guess I'll have to check daily...
I can add to this thread now!!
Secondary received!!! Verified 7/30 IS ~3.5 cgpa/30
Got the app received and secondary emails at exactly the same time this morning.
Secondary received!!! Verified 7/30 IS ~3.5 cgpa/30
Got the app received and secondary emails at exactly the same time this morning.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary received 7/15
Interview invitation 7/30
Interview date 8/28
Interview invitation 7/30
Interview date 8/28
Looks like they're slowly opening up one at a time since its early in the cycle. I would check the months everyday but I'm sure eventually later dates will open. However, I wouldn't sit on the invite too long before scheduling. I think even if you don't feel quite "ready", you'll be at an advantage interviewing earlier. The MMI here is incredibly low stress and fun. I'm a reapplicant and this was the most enjoyable interview I had last time by far.Does anyone know if there will be more interview spots opening up in the future? There is only 1 listed for me and I would rather have a later interview.
So stoked to receive my first II this morning! God, I love this school.
LizzyM: 68.5 ish?
Out of state.
Interview date: 9/4
There's hope for us mortals after all! Maybe...
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
First II's are out and I'm still sitting here waiting for a secondary 🙁
Verified 6/23
I think it'll be ok! I keep freaking out because I see other people getting invites... And I also feel much less confident in my secondaries for all other schools because I spent so much time on Davis's.
But people keep telling me that it's really really early. A lot of it is just random chance--it's likely that they haven't gotten to your app yet. Hopefully we can all relax and maybe even just enjoy the rest of our summers 🙂
I was really surprised how fast I received a secondary, and even more surprised (and super excited) that I was given an interview invitation.
Not at all. I received my secondary on the 15th, submitted on the 17th (I still worry that turn around time matters...) and was complete on the 23rd.Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Same... LizyM of 73...First II's are out and I'm still sitting here waiting for a secondary 🙁
Verified 6/23
II!! On a Sunday night?? I'll take it 🙂
+1 on that ahaha congratulations!Congrats! Wow you've had interviews to both irvine and davis, I'm totally jelly 😉
When I see you post, it makes me want to go to the kitchen and get a snack. #nowiwantcake+1 on that ahaha congratulations!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I see you post, it makes me want to go to the kitchen and get a snack. #nowiwantcake
Ahahaha I'm glad I can have that sort of effect on you??
Wow congrats!! I wish you the best
When were you complete and Lizzy m if you don't mind me asking?
.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
