2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are Decision Pending:

I just called admissions, and the woman I spoke to said they are sending out snail mail today. It sounds like they won't be updating the status page or sending emails first, so watch your mailbox. If you're as anxious as me to hear back, you can call the admissions office on Thursday 10am-4pm for a final decision.
Thanks for calling. Did they specifically say that they would not be updating the portals? That would seem pretty uncharacteristic at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for calling. Did they specifically say that they would not be updating the portals? That would seem pretty uncharacteristic at this point.

I assume they will, but I didn't ask because the woman said we would receive the snail mail first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, since the decisions have already been made, I'm not sure why they couldn't just let us know today. I didn't want to ask for fear of sounding impetuous.
It's a little disconcerting considering that the last time they accepted people, they sent them emails. That says to me that it's going to be a waitlist at best. But I've learned that expectations don't really matter much with this school. God I just so badly want to get in here.

Reactions: 1 users
I know two ppl that got the appeal, and both cases involve their mothers having some form of severe illness that requires constant care. That's not to say no one else gets it though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile
Was this for the upcoming year or previous year?

I assume they will, but I didn't ask because the woman said we would receive the snail mail first.
Just called and confirmed, they will not be updating portals. I didn't ask about what the decisions could be (accept, waitlist, reject), but if they said that for you, then it gives me hope.

Reactions: 1 user
They're current m2s

Could you please ask them around what month (May-August) they were told their appeal was granted? I'm trying to figure out how high my chances are cuz it takes some time to make living arrangements and such, and if my chances are low, I might as well start looking at housing in Urbana. The reason for my appeal is similar to theirs

Could you please ask them around what month (May-August) they were told their appeal was granted? I'm trying to figure out how high my chances are cuz it takes some time to make living arrangements and such, and if my chances are low, I might as well start looking at housing in Urbana. The reason for my appeal is similar to theirs
Early June for one of them, the other I'm not sure

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone calls at any point, please clarify if the decision can be any (accept, waitlist, reject) via snail mail at this point.

If someone calls at any point, please clarify if the decision can be any (accept, waitlist, reject) via snail mail at this point.

When I called admissions today, I specifically asked if the letters can be acceptances/waitlists/rejections, and the woman I spoke to said yes. Although the admissions people have given us incorrect information before, I think this is consistent with my theory that UICOM waited for seats to open up on May 2 before making final decisions on the remaining applicants.

What worries me is how many "extra" people they accepted in anticipation of people withdrawing seats. Who knows what the proportions of accept/waitlist/reject will be.

edit: I just checked my blood pressure and it's 130/74 :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Glad to hear they're sending out letters today! How long does it usually take mail to get from downtown to the suburbs, anyone know?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Glad to hear they're sending out letters today! How long does it usually take mail to get from downtown to the suburbs, anyone know?

Usually takes me about 2 days, but UIC probably has a central mail room which might tack on a day or two. So I'd guess by Thursday or Friday, at the lates .

When I called admissions today, I specifically asked if the letters can be acceptances/waitlists/rejections, and the woman I spoke to said yes. Although the admissions people have been wrong before, I think this is consistent with my theory that UICOM waited for seats to open up on May 2 before making final decisions on the remaining applicants.

What worries me is how many "extra" people they accepted in anticipation of people withdrawing seats. Who knows what the proportions of accept/waitlist/reject will be.

edit: I just checked my blood pressure and it's 130/74 :eek:
That's great news! I'm really rooting for you.

I know for me, it took two days from when the admissions office said they sent my letter and when I got it, and I'm in UC.

Usually takes me about 2 days, but UIC probably has a central mail room which might tack on a day or two. So I'd guess by Thursday or Friday, at the lates .

I know for me, it took two days from when the admissions office said they sent my letter and when I got it, and I'm in UC.

Thanks guys. Here's hoping my parents don't throw it away haha. I'm actually glad it goes to our home address because I just moved out of my dorm, and if they had sent it there I know it would have taken months for my ex-school to re-direct it to my new address.

Sorry, haven't been keeping up with this thread for a bit. So from what I've read, the Decision Pendings should be getting snail mail sometime this week, but no portal update, correct? And that snail mail can contain life, death, or continued purgatory?

Sorry, haven't been keeping up with this thread for a bit. So from what I've read, the Decision Pendings should be getting snail mail sometime this week, but no portal update, correct? And that snail mail can contain life, death, or continued purgatory?

Yeah, that's the current situation as far as I know. No promises, though!

sorry for my confusion but can someone explain how it's possible that they may still be accepting students? won't the spots that open up go to those on the waitlist?

sorry for my confusion but can someone explain how it's possible that they may still be accepting students? won't the spots that open up go to those on the waitlist?
According to the good folks at the UIC admissions office, the decision can be anything. That's all we know. What I would be very curious to know is if they have actually formally waitlisted anybody at this point, or if the decision pending thing is some kind of de facto waitlist.

According to the good folks at the UIC admissions office, the decision can be anything. That's all we know. What I would be very curious to know is if they have actually formally waitlisted anybody at this point, or if the decision pending thing is some kind of de facto waitlist.
Considering there are folks that've been decision pending since January, I don't think there is a wait list at present

Considering there are folks that've been decision pending since January, I don't think there is a wait list at present
There have been people decision pending since September!

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a formal waitlist. Here is my prediction: We are now almost at June. This means that if UIC had a traditional waitlist, they would have pulled people off by now. I think those people are going to be accepted with this round of decisions. Lots of people will be put on an official waitlist, and some will be outright rejected.

thanks for explaining!! it makes sense.

can we all just get in and be best frandz :D

this year has been such a rollercoaster!

and yes this was my only MD interview. I got into a few DO schools so I have options that I'm pretty happy with but...UIC was ahhhmazing

this year has been such a rollercoaster!

and yes this was my only MD interview. I got into a few DO schools so I have options that I'm pretty happy with but...UIC was ahhhmazing
Oh good! Agreed, UIC is awesome. I didn't apply to DO schools though so I'm kinda banking on this.

This is the last one that I'm waiting on. If I don't get a reply this week, I think I'm going to start getting loans and finding places to live for my plan B. Otherwise, my plan B might not even be a plan anymore, given how this UIC cycle has been.

This is the last one that I'm waiting on. If I don't get a reply this week, I think I'm going to start getting loans and finding places to live for my plan B. Otherwise, my plan B might not even be a plan anymore, given how this UIC cycle has been.
Why's that?

Anyone recall how many people were accepted/waitlisted/rejected around this time in previous years? I remember reading through a lot of last year's thread - it seems like a decent number were accepted, but that year was also weird because UICOM invited more people for interviews in the summer.

Last edited:
@bananafish94 so the last time this happened, decisions were made on Thursday or so and mailed out on Monday I believe.
@Lannister I live in the suburbs too and got my mail on Wednesday late afternoon. Could also be Thursday early morning (or whenever your mailman arrives).

*knock on the wood* Good Luck to you fellas! I hope you guys get in.

If anyone is still wondering (as i was until recently) on what and where to get all these codes, here is a breakdown of what I found out:
  1. Send transcripts by July 1st.
  2. Get 10-panel drug screen by August 9th. The code for this is UG31dm (I believe this is only for Chicago folks).
  3. Vaccinations and all of that by July 1st. The code for this is UG31. If you have any shots that are ongoing or need to be taken then just show proof that you are doing so.
  4. Chicago folks should be registered for the orientation on blackboard right now.
For all the code stuff, go to certified profile website and just make an account. After that login and click on the place order and order using the above stated codes as per your requirements. The vaccination code should cost $30 and no more and the 10-panel drug screen should be $0 (yay!).

Please add anything that I am missing or misstating here.

PS: start finding a place to live as well since Chicago is tiring when it comes to finding a good place.

@bananafish94 so the last time this happened, decisions were made on Thursday or so and mailed out on Monday I believe.
@Lannister I live in the suburbs too and got my mail on Wednesday late afternoon. Could also be Thursday early morning (or whenever your mailman arrives).

*knock on the wood* Good Luck to you fellas! I hope you guys get in.

Thanks! My mailman doesn't come till like 8PM lol so hopefully I'll know either tonight or tomorrow night!

Just got the mail. First quartile of the alternate list.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm so nervous for the first time.. hope they give out acceptances too

Checked online, waitlisted; we'll see what quartile when the mail comes.

My portal just changed so check those out if you're waiting for mail

Mine changed too! Applicant is Waitlisted. I have no idea what Quartile I am yet, hoping I'm atleast in top 2!!!

Do we have any solid stats on how many have been accepted from the waitlist in previous years, and what the timeframe was for doing so?

Do we have any solid stats on how many have been accepted from the waitlist in previous years, and what the timeframe was for doing so?
I was scrolling through last years thread like a crazy lady last week, and it looks like a good amount of people got pulled from first AND second quartiles. Here's to hoping!

Although I am still a little frustrated, seeing as we probably all will still need to complete our AMCAS's and make plans for next year :|

I was scrolling through last years thread like a crazy lady last week, and it looks like a good amount of people got pulled from first AND second quartiles. Here's to hoping!

Although I am still a little frustrated, seeing as we probably all will still need to complete our AMCAS's and make plans for next year :|
Seriously. What school puts together a waitlist six days before the next application cycle opens? It's like they really don't give a damn about applicants...

Reactions: 2 users