2015-2016 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here! IS. Super excited. Best of luck to everyone!

+1 OOS secondary... yay for no screening process :D

@Ismet Secondary response this year is:

Please address the following question in a short essay of 500 words or less (either type or copy and paste into the text box):

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville states that "Students will practice patient-centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients." Describe how you would best provide patient-centered care to a 26-year-old graduate student recently diagnosed with a type of cancer which typically requires a prolonged course of aggressive chemotherapy.

Last edited:
I got a secondary as an OOS applicant, but when I follow the link to their site, the webpage is blank. I've emailed them asking what is going on with that but haven't heard back for a couple of days.

Anyone else experience this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a secondary as an OOS applicant, but when I follow the link to their site, the webpage is blank. I've emailed them asking what is going on with that but haven't heard back for a couple of days.

Anyone else experience this?
Try using a different web browser. I had the same issue with google chrome.

How much did y'all write for what you would do for the year if you were not accepted to medical school?

Does anybody know if Greenville pays close attention to activities done after submitting primary application? I have been doing the same things after that and I have not done anything new. I kind of feel my application looks a bit empty

Does anybody know if Greenville pays close attention to activities done after submitting primary application? I have been doing the same things after that and I have not done anything new. I kind of feel my application looks a bit empty

Yes, I have spoken to someone in Admissions there and they do take into account activities done after submission. There is a form you submit to update your file.

For the activities, service, research section, it only asks about additional activities etc that aren't already mentioned in our AMCAS. Are most of you leaving this area blank? I feel like I tried to put my most important things in my AMCAS and don't really have any other small activities that are worth mentioning, but it feels weird leaving this whole area blank lol

For the activities, service, research section, it only asks about additional activities etc that aren't already mentioned in our AMCAS. Are most of you leaving this area blank? I feel like I tried to put my most important things in my AMCAS and don't really have any other small activities that are worth mentioning, but it feels weird leaving this whole area blank lol

Yeah I am confused about this as well. The most I could do is add more detail about the activities I listed in the AMCAS primary app but that's about it, and not really what they're looking for.. are others leaving this blank?

I am, I think I put enough substantial material in the other sections. They can look at my AMCAS if they want to see those things, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else struggle to fill 3200 characters for the essay?

anyone here applying with <30 MCAT?

I definitely did. I tried to get my essay to at least 2/3 of the character limit and after that I felt like anything else I said would be unnecessary "fluff" so I went ahead and submitted.

anyone here applying with <30 MCAT?
I'm OOS and I have multiple MCATS but my last one is ~30-31 equivalent on the new exam. Averaged together my MCAT is less than 30. I'm hoping for the best. I'm in a county that boarders SC (I can drive less than 30 min and I'll be in SC) so I dunno if that will help at all. I know a few people from my county that go to USC and love it.

It says the limit is 500 words, and honestly, from what I've seen for most 500 word prompts, people tend to write anywhere between 200-400 words... I wouldn't worry too much if you don't use up every single word, it's just a max limit. At least that's what I keep telling myself :)

What a long secondary, a lot of the questions are quite redundant. Anyways, I like that they have early clinical exposure. Hopefully a current medical student could chime in and tell us about the program and life in Greenville. I personally like the idea to be in a school that it is semi-close to the ocean and does not get "super cold". Just to imagine spending 4 years landlocked and in a place that gets "frozen" gets me :bang:. Anyways, applying here OOS.

Last edited:
Secondary draft finished. Just got wait for GF to proof read it now.

Edit: Submitted, second secondary of the day. Only 15 more.... LET'S GO .... FML

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received. Won't be able to submit until the end of the month due to hold up with committee letter. Good luck all!

Anyone here anything regarding interviews? pretty dead in the state of SC so far...

Are these the only prompts for the secondary essays?

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville states that "Students will practice patient-centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients." Describe how you would best provide patient-centered care to a 26-year-old graduate student recently diagnosed with a type of cancer which typically requires a prolonged course of aggressive chemotherapy.

What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?
Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class.

What you would do for the year if you were not accepted to medical school?

Are these the only prompts for the secondary essays?

What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?
Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class.

What you would do for the year if you were not accepted to medical school?
No, they have plenty more, however most are optional.

Could you (or someone else) post the others pretty please?

1c. If you are a reapplicant, what have you done to strengthen your candidacy? (May be left blank when answer to question 1 is 'No')

2. If you are not accepted to medical school for the upcoming academic year, what are your plans?

5. If you have experienced academic difficulties in college, please briefly explain circumstances regarding any courses with a grade less than a B minus, or any course withdrawals. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

7. If you do not expect to spend this academic year in school, please explain how you intend to use this time. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

1. Please provide any information regarding personal challenges/hardships that you have overcome not included in your AMCAS application. (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

2. What traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. make you unique and would bring added value to the learning environment at USCSOM Greenville?
clip_image002.png

3. If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or interests do you have to this state? (If not applicable, this question may be left blank.)

4. Describe any past achievements, experiences, special family or personal circumstances that you believe make you a unique student, able to bring diversity to the class. ????

One of the Guiding Principles of the USCSOM Greenville states that "Students will practice patient-centered care that values the interdependent roles of health care providers and facilities in service to their patients." Describe how you would best provide patient-centered care to a 26-year-old graduate student recently diagnosed with a type of cancer which typically requires a prolonged course of aggressive chemotherapy

There are more, but those are the ones that I saved

Thank you! It seems that I have many essays to write now. Haha.

Any word yet??? Haven't heard a peep outta these guys since I submitted nearly a month ago.

Any word yet??? Haven't heard a peep outta these guys since I submitted nearly a month ago.
I got a complete email from them two days after submitting. Are you still waiting on your MCAT score or letters?

I got a complete email from them two days after submitting. Are you still waiting on your MCAT score or letters?

Nope, got all that stuff in, and did got the "complete" letter, but I haven't heard of anyone getting an official response from them yet about a decision.

Nope, got all that stuff in, and did got the "complete" letter, but I haven't heard of anyone getting an official response from them yet about a decision.

Oh I see. Yea same here and the wait continues. . .

Would loveeeeeeee to go here! Fingers crossed! :)

The more I look into this school the more I'm wanting to go here. The secondary might end up giving me an aneurysm though. :/

Anyone know when interviews might start going out or if they have already?

They haven't sent any out (to my knowledge). I have spoken to current M1 and M2 students there and the students said that the AdCom has told them that tehy are currently deciphering how they want to evaluate the new MCAT scores. So everything is on hold.

Reactions: 3 users
They haven't sent any out (to my knowledge). I have spoken to current M1 and M2 students there and the students said that the AdCom has told them that tehy are currently deciphering how they want to evaluate the new MCAT scores. So everything is on hold.

Great info!! Thanks a bunch!!! Hopefully it goes my way :)

Interview invites are going out. I got one yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I also got one, regular applicant. Anyone know what the chances of acceptance post-interview are here?
I think it depends a lot on whether or not you're an IS or an OOS